Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

Normally, 8 packs between the two of you.

For prereleases, you get a prerelease box each, and you can share cards as normal, making for some completely disgusting decks. Theros sealed was particularly gross, it was very easy to make a mono-black deck to take advantage of 10 packs of Grey Merchants plus two seeded black packs, while the other player has 10 packs of fixing to work with to play whatever other power cards you pull.

Still more fair than gatecrash prerelease 2hg, I played against a team that picked double Orzhov, one person was control to keep things in line for long enough for the other person to kill us with 4 unstoppable Debt to the Deathless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Do you mean the sealed pool or any potential prizes? How many packs do you get to work with in 2HG anyway?

The sealed pool. Two people who didn't know each other at all beyond the store made two complimentary decks. One a hyper aggro and the other controlling. They did really well, I just don't know how they split up the cards after the event. The prize pool they split evenly.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Back from my first event. Lost both of our 2hg games, we could've won one of them but we made a mistake and tapped out the wrong creature which cost us the game.

Went 2/0 1/1 and 0/2 in my solo games. It was really fun though, and most of the games were quite close except for the 0/2 where he just stomped. The Dragon did some serious work for me, killing that ridiculous Chariot.

Pulled Thassa and a foil Master of Waves from one pack so that paid for one of the packs. My mate got the R/W God and a Godsend. He gave me the Godsend so I'll have to find something to pay him back with. I used Godsend in the 2hg and it was great, definitely going to be putting that with Elspeth.

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go
Went 3-0-1 (ID) in my midnight event. Chose black, got a lot of great white and went White/Black to crush people with some really disgusting plays. My round 3 opponent was clearly a little angry after I won game 1 on turn 5, and game 2 on turn 6 without him really getting to play.

I won't list out the whole pool, but the deck I played was this. Most games were not very close at all - Really aggressive creatures, and while I thought the Black promo card was good, I severely undervalued Constellation as an ability until I saw it in action in my deck. I was expecting it to perform like Metalcraft from SOM, but quickly realized it was much better than that when you're pinging your opponent, gaining life (and spending it on the Coinsmith, great flavor), or making your aggressive creature immune to damage, all while playing your cards anyways.

8x Plains
8x Swamp
Ajani's Presence
Battlewise Valor
Bloodcrazed Hoplite
Dauntless Onslaught
Disciple of Phenax
Doomwake Giant
Dreadbringer Lampads
Drown in Sorrow
Excoriate
Extinguish All Hope
Fabled Hero
Feast of Dreams
Grim Guardian
Harvestguard Alseids
Lagonna-Band Trailblazer
Mana Confluence
Nyx Infusion
Nyx-Fleece Ram
Observant Alseid
Oppressive Rays
Read the Bones
Scholar of Athreos
Spear of Heliod
Underworld Coinsmith
Vanguard of Brimaz

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

AlsoD posted:

Why am I using this client again?

Because drafting is the literal only good thing about it?

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Can anyone report how the Doomwake giant is performing at their sealed events? Wondering if it's worth going black. My friend and I are both going for white at 2hg tomorrow but I like having the different promos.

It's loving awesome. Almost all of the Constellation effects that impact creatures are at least good, and this one is at the top.

You pretty much always kill at least one of their creatures, sometimes more, and late in the game you can do something as small as play 2 cards on one turn and completely blow them out. It even makes your underperforming/situational enchantment cards relevant to the board state, which is about as much as you can ever ask of a Magic card.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
My prerelease report:

Picked White, opened Athreos in my seeded pack, rest irrelevant.

That might be a bit of an exaggeration but it was sort of how I felt at the time. I ended up going 4-1 with a decent black-white deck, featuring King Macar, Fate Unraveler, and the Charioteers. The Nyx Fleece Ram was surprisingly an all-star in the deck, as was Quarry Colossus, both cards I had undervalued previously. King Macar was kind of a bust; I was running Cavalry Pegasus in the hopes of going off, but didn't have any other ways to force him through, and he mostly just baited removal.

The weirdest game was my third match, game 1. I had a good position, with Athreos online and my opponent's strong Medomai locked down by Armaments of Nyx, but was stalled out against my opponent for at least 10 turns because their Dictate of Heliod allowed them to casually block my entire board. Eventually I drew Quarry Colossus to put their 5/7 Cranes back into their deck, and was able to break through the last flier with my Dauntless Onslaught before he could redraw the Cranes.

Walked away with some packs (which as is traditional contained the most appalling garbage) and the card I wanted most, so it felt like a success.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Prerelease trip report-

Picked white, got deicide as my other rare and absolute junk (Gild, Labyrinth Champion, Blue promo kraken, dictate of kruphix, g/r scryland, cmon!) and went 2-2 (Both of lossses were from my friends, one who went undefeated and the other 3-1ed, so I was okay with it) which considering my absolute horrendous pool I think I did well. I won against a mono blue deck with thassa and her friends and against a rakdos player who had a obscene green pool with pharika but refused to play it :psyduck: got 2 packs, opened another but foil dictate of kruphix, launch the fleet and godsend, so all in all it wasn't a bad day. :)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

AlsoD posted:

Why am I using this client again?

GonSmithe posted:

Because drafting is the literal only good thing about it?

Well deck construction isn't apparently - look at the lands. It duplicated a stack of them and while I was initially very excited to play with two Volcanic Islands it wouldn't let me submit the deck at all.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Virtually everyone at the prerelease today wants to play White, and there's precious little of it left after the Friday event. Don't think I've ever seen that much bias in favor of one prerelease pack.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

In news that will surprise absolutely no one, Ajani is a house in Limited. It helped to also open:

- Hydra Broodmaster
- Boon Satyr
- Bow of Nylea
- and the White Promo

Ended up 3-1, losing in the last match to a really solid UG deck that I couldn't afford to stumble against (and boy did I stumble).

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Tardigrade posted:

Virtually everyone at the prerelease today wants to play White, and there's precious little of it left after the Friday event. Don't think I've ever seen that much bias in favor of one prerelease pack.

White wasn't even that good at our store. The first and second had green and red respectively.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
Prerelease was hella fun, I didn't realize how much BotG had killed my enthusiasm for Magic until playing this set and realizing how much more fun it was: Constellation is sweet as hell and the cards just seem way more interesting for Limited. I picked Black and snagged a Silence the Betrayers from my seeded pack, also grabbed Whip of Erebos and went white with Eidolon of Countless Battles and just played a W/B goodstuff mishmash that just sorta took over the midgame with fuckloads of life drain. I never played Black in Standard but I did get to finally experience the joy that is Whipping a Gray Merchant back for 16 total life drain, such a good feeling. Doomwake Giant performed well even though I only saw him a couple times, and when I did it was against an opponent who was pretty inexperienced anyway.

Ended up 3-1, pulled Godsend (which is worth like $10??? wtf), Worst Fears, Polukranos and Purphoros from my prizes. Lovely night all round even though I was sick as poo poo.

Also someone from my store opened the God pack, someone else opened Godsend and foil Godsend in the same pack. Some people had magic fingers I guess.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ramos posted:

Don't worry, I got this poo poo. I drafted fifteen Deicides.

Or one Kiora's Dismissal. :getin:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Urgh. Went green into green white (opened Dawnbringer Charioteers), and all 5 of my rounds were against decks running white. Only one of the rounds was not grindy as gently caress, and I went 1-3-1.

My first round loss was a 1-0-1 loss, because my opponent showed up late and game 1 took forever. I was in good position game 2 but it didn't matter. The tie was similarly because my opponent played ludicrously slowly, and I was in position for the win except guess what, his slow play made it go to time. It just got so incredibly old playing against Charioteers and Nyx-Fleece Ram round after round after round.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I went black and opened a Pharika, which comboed really nicely with Doomwake Giant, Nyx Weaver (which was good with the Whip of Erebos too). Won three matches, then lost two, one due to a mistake I made which gave my opponent a good out and he drew it, the other to a really good UG tempo deck and some flooding on my part.
Born of the Gods was just eh but this format looks really really fun since you can go deep on some good synergies.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Samael posted:

White wasn't even that good at our store. The first and second had green and red respectively.

Our top 8: black and green at 4-0-1, two black and blue at 4-1, black 3-0-2, and my blue (7th) and first white at 3-2 bracket.

If anything, our feel when discussing this was that black might be the strongest pick overall, if you really want to try and optimize your chances.

But really, six out of eight in that top 8 were the usual suspects who end up there anyway in most prereleases. People focus so much on ~WHAT IS THE OPTIMAL CHOICE IF I WANT TO WIN~ that it's easy to forget that solving the deck building puzzle well and piloting your deck solid counts for so much more than any choice in the start.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Variance will always be a thing in sealed, but I think it's much less of an issue now than it was in the past. Wizards is pretty good about keeping cards that warp limited out of common and uncommon and bombs can only take you so far.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
If it wasn't for bad variance, I'd have no variance at all.

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

Went 4-1 with a solid WB controlish deck. Deckbuilding was pretty straightforward because Black was obviously the best color and Blue and Red were completely unplayable. Rares included Hundred-Handed One, King Macar and Athreos (who was kind of bad in my deck but I was short on playables). King Macar was absolutely disgusting in my deck thanks to two Akroan Mastiffs and a Dreadbringer Lampads to get the Inspired trigger. Having an active King Macar when the opponent has an empty board is a pretty nice feeling. :v: Opened Godsend and Ajani in my prize packs and a girl opened a god pack.

Mark Blockhead
Nov 7, 2012
Went 4-1 with RW aggro. I went white and got Deicide in my seeded pack and opened a Twinflame and Chained to the Rocks. My deck was literally 15 creatures, Ajani's Presence, Twinflame, seven removal spells, and 17 land. First round was a mirror match where I had the removal and the other guy didn't (dropped a game though). Second round was vs. B/G or something, guy was too slow and couldn't establish a board against me. Highlight was having Forgeborn Oreads on the board with Hasty Cyclops and Twinflaming them both so I had 4 Oread triggers to wipe out blockers and 18 power. Third round was something else black but the guy got badly manascrewed so it was hardly a game. Fourth was vs. the eventual winner, a monoblue player with Shipbreaker, Scourge, tons of flyers, Griptide x2, Voyage's End, Sudden Storm, Dissolve, and Sea God's Revenge. I could not establish any kind of board. Game one I got him to 3 but he had the voyage's end to bounce my cyclops swinging in for the game (wish I had topdecked a Bolt :/) and game 2 I got stuck on one white source with Supply-Line Cranes and Dawnbinger Charioteers in my hand, so I got ground out without the flying blocker/lifelink. Fifth round was vs. UB, and it was hilarious. Basically: turn one nothing, turn two nyx-fleece ram, turn 3 Bolt of Keranos his creature, turn four Spearpoint Oread, turn five Magma Spray a creature, turn six Deicide his Doomwake Giant, turn seven Chained to the Rocks his Squelching Leeches and play Dawnbringer Charioteers, turn 8 Reprisal. He never had more than one creature on the board at once, and game 2 was much the same.

Opened absolute garbage from prize packs. One guy who got 1 got Athreos, I got 6 and got 5 bulks and Mana Conflunce (ok I guess). I have never opened anything more valuable than an Ashiok at a Limited event since Theros started.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Mana Confluence is a great pull. The price should be stable or even go up after shocks rotate out of Standard.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I'm enjoying JOU/BNG/Theros quite a lot more than BNG/Theros. I think everyone's favorite will still be Triple Theros but this is feeling like a nice addition to the block of cards.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I feel like dumping Born and just doing JOU/THE/THE might be a fun format.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Tardigrade posted:

I bucked the trend and went Red, opened a Stormbreath. Every single opponent I landed it against tried to play a white removal spell on it on their turn. :kheldragar: Even managed to kill a UB Control player with my Pinned to the Earth Stormbreath (Monstrous trigger damage and a combat trick instant)

Also: Sigiled Skink + Aspect of Gorgon = Free scry and 3 damage every turn

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 26, 2014

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Quarterstaff Games in Burlington, VT has opened TWO God Packs now, one last night at a midnight prerelease from a NORMAL JOU BOOSTER :woop: and today from a seeded pack.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Can anyone report how the Doomwake giant is performing at their sealed events? Wondering if it's worth going black. My friend and I are both going for white at 2hg tomorrow but I like having the different promos.

It was fantastic for me, but uh, this was my pool this afternoon (4-1 for 3rd place) so your mileage may vary:

quote:

Cavern Lampad
Disciple of Deceit
2x Doomwake Giant
Fate Unraveler
Insatiable Harpy
King Macar, the Gold-Cursed
Master of the Feast
Pharika's Chosen
Returned Phalanx
Returned Reveler
Riptide Chimera
Rotted Hulk
Squelching Leeches

Aspect of Gorgon
Fate Foretold
Pharika's Cure
2x Pin to the Earth
Sea God's Revenge
Sudden Storm
Thoughtseize
Triton Tactics

Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver

Being able to use Riptide Chimera's mandatory bounce effect to bounce a 2-mana enchantment (ie- Fate Foretold) or itself so I could re-trigger Doomwake Giant was pretty solid. Plus, sometimes people have a fair amount of 1 toughness creatures on the field if you play it turn 5, so it can kill something and it's not that hard to get it to give -2/-2 (again, it helps if you have a second copy).

Master of the Feast, meanwhile, was stellar. It was also great if you could pair it with Fate Unraveler so they're losing even more life.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Quarterstaff Games in Burlington, VT has opened TWO God Packs now, one last night at a midnight prerelease from a NORMAL JOU BOOSTER :woop: and today from a seeded pack.

Was it from a prize booster, or the one that came in the prerelease kit?

TheCondor
Oct 30, 2010
4-1 at prerelease with red/black (chose black). The amount of removal helped a lot, got Lightning Strike, Scouring Sands, Feast of Dreams and 2 Silence the Believers and a few other things I didn't main. With bestow creatures being thrown around Silence can do some serious work. 2 Flurry of Horns, 3 or 4 other Minotaurs and some random enchantment creatures filled it out.

Pulled a Thoughtseize and Mana Confluence in the prerelease pack. Got Godsend and a third Silence the Believers (of course) from prize packs.

re: Doomwake Giant
It didn't do a whole lot for me apart from being a 4/6 and triggering other constellation abilities. I generally got more value out of Dreadbringer Lampads but I didn't run up against a whole lot of low toughness creatures.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Welp, guy in my store in NC just opened a god pack. It was the single pack he won as a sealed prize.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I don't care what negative things people have had to say about Theros or BNG or the block as a whole or enchantments are dumb and wah wah wah, the fact that God Packs exist makes up for everything and is friggin awesome.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Just got back from a noon pre-release, in which everyone apparently knew that white was going to be the blowout color. White goes out first, but I pick black just to be contrary. Open up a Deathtouch Minotaur lord, Purphorous, 2 Fanatics of Mogis, and a Thoughtseize. Make the weirdest Minotaur aggro-tribal deck and filled in the gaps with a few of the centaurs that mill the opponent and 2 deathtouch snakes. Went 4-0 :psyduck:

I managed to turn one Thoughtseize 7 times during my games, and won the final game by forcing him to discard a Thassa the turn before it became a problem. With my Thoughtseizes hits, I got four gods and three Charioteer promos. Maybe it was just me, but after facing three W/G decks and neutering their promo, it seemed most people overextended themselves on heroic enchantments without the proper creature base. Don't assume victory with your promos, kids!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
How do you win a pre-release sealed? Easy, just open this pool:

Literally did not lose a single game. One got very close, but.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GonSmithe posted:

How do you win a pre-release sealed? Easy, just open this pool:

Literally did not lose a single game. One got very close, but.
Looks nearly identical to mine, though your pool is better. I did lose one game, turns out star fleece ram into the white promo is a wee bit hard to race. Was Desperate Stand as nuts for you? That card was just plague wind or take a million every time for me.

Also got to Twinflame the pig. Opponents did not appreciate being on board the big pig plan. Don't know if Twinflame is as good as it was for me, but man, clone a pig and take them to the final barbeque.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Welp, guy in my store in NC just opened a god pack. It was the single pack he won as a sealed prize.

Huh, so they're just in circulation in Journey? I had assumed that they were just in Sealed boxes.

My prerelease was pretty good, got a white pack (I think the store said on Facebook that the midnight event was 30 white packs among 55 players) and got s pretty good UW agressive/heroic deck with Battlewise Hoplite. Only 3 rounds, but went 3-0, best card overall was probably Dictate of Heliod, or possibly Oppressive Rays. Was tempted to go black since I got 2 Ordeal of Erebos, and 2 Feast of Dreams which I think could be incredible in the format, and some other good 1-3 drops, but literally nothing bigger. Red and Green both seemed to be garbage except for freaking Phyrika and Xenagod!

Proceeded to get 2 Spawn of Thraxes in my prizes. Great for limited but a bit underwhelming there.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 26, 2014

sdr782
Jun 7, 2005

"I said it was dodgeball time, bitch."
Went red white and prerelease and went 3-1. Won 8 packs for my efforts. Unfortunately the best cards I pulled from the 8 prize packs + 3 JOU pool packs were a Green Black scry land and a mana confluence. My buddy is a lucky bastard though he pulled a foil Athreos from a prize pack.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I went white, opened a ridiculous pool(my deck included Ajani, Hydra Broodmaster, Celestial Archon, Charioteers, Ornitharch), was disappointed to only go 3-1.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Bricked my prerelease with BG (1-3... fourth round opponent failed to show) but ended up able to trade into a second mana confluence and BG temple afterwards, so i m still happy-ish :unsmith:

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Cactrot posted:

Bricked my prerelease with BG (1-3... fourth round opponent failed to show) but ended up able to trade into a second mana confluence and BG temple afterwards, so i m still happy-ish :unsmith:

Person sitting directly across and directly behind me each opened a Mana Confluence.

While I got my Thoughtseize, I need 2 of City of Brass v2.0 for my standard deck still :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Interesting to read about some of the stuff being opened itt - at least 6 different Athreos were pulled in our 2 prereleases today that I know of. I managed to open easily the worst pool I've ever opened before in my life (3 Font of Vigor, 3 Lightning Diadem, basically nothing good as a duplicate, no good sideboard cards, whyyy :negative: ), and was able to scrape a 4-2 with it on the back of putting 12 2/3 drops and hoping to Get There. Both of my losses were to players who opened good pools, although I misplayed against one of those opponents and actually could have snuck a win. The other guy was a new player who opened basically everything I'd want in a red white aggro deck and I didn't have a chance, so that sucked. I've developed a new found respect for Leonin Snarecaster though, that card basically won me two matches thanks to me using it more like a trick than anything else.

EDIT: also, the only removal in my deck at all was a Last Breath (was actually fantastic against the white promo), a Feast of Dreams and an Oppressive Rays. So, literally just having to Get There.

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 27, 2014

• Locked thread