Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I gotta say, I'm kind of impressed by how much more useful non-magical ranged attacks seem to be in this game. I still wouldn't want any part of being a pure ranged character in a boss fight, but arrows and throwing knives do pretty good damage now, they're great for picking off unaware enemies or whittling people down before they get to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people

Shindragon posted:

You probably didn't seem the animmation but yeah the torch only temporarily scares them. Eventually there is an animation where they slap themselves and that point they are going gently caress your FIRE I"m after you foo!

Gotcha. Does Galvan ever move from that position? Do I have to talk to him a bunch of times?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Gotcha. Does Galvan ever move from that position? Do I have to talk to him a bunch of times?

Yeah, he moves after you purchased/ talk to him. I don't recall having to exhaust his dialogue option though.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Don't know if this was linked but this is great at hiding the mouse cursor
http://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/AutoHideMouseCursor

Roman fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 27, 2014

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I gotta say, I'm kind of impressed by how much more useful non-magical ranged attacks seem to be in this game. I still wouldn't want any part of being a pure ranged character in a boss fight, but arrows and throwing knives do pretty good damage now, they're great for picking off unaware enemies or whittling people down before they get to you.

Bows were good in the first game but only if you had the hawk ring, black bow and a load of dex. This game is much friendlier to mixed builds.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Are there infinite sources of upgrade materials like in Dark Souls I?

Edit: Because I upgraded my Heide Knight Sword way too much and am regretting it...

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Cowcaster posted:

Not sure if it's the cause of your guys' problems, but I can say that if you get the message "Lost connection to Steam" at any point, your multiplayer connection stays severed until you restart the game, even if your steam connection comes back.

I figured my first jaunt through Majula and the forest being devoid of signs was because no one had found the orange soapstone yet.

I haven't had any disconnects from steam, just the indefinite load screen on being summoned. Co-op works sometimes but about 30% of the time (which is far too high) it never stops loading. Seems like I'm being summoned to games that didn't connect properly so there's nothing to load into.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
So you can only level up at Majula, but bonfires are connected by default so...

What the hell is the point of that restriction? I'm sure it's been brought up before but man, what a dumb decision that was.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

P_R_Deltoid posted:

Is there a reason why the big grey guys in No-Mans Wharf are scared of my torch for about 5 minutes, then all become immune and attack me like my torch is unlit? I was standing in front of Galvan for the first time, and they all jumped me before I could talk to him.

Just ran through, and it happened again. The instant I get into the room with Galvan, they become immune to my torch...

It just spooks them, but if you seem like you aren't scary for too long they'll still come after you.

You need to kill them. You're supposed to kill them. Torch just makes it a little easier so they don't gang up on you.

Gortarius posted:

So you can only level up at Majula, but bonfires are connected by default so...

What the hell is the point of that restriction? I'm sure it's been brought up before but man, what a dumb decision that was.

Yeah its been brought up a zillion times. It does suck and we do hate it. You should level at bonfires but have to go to majula for sublime bone dust or estus flask shards. But noooo.

Artificer posted:

Are there infinite sources of upgrade materials like in Dark Souls I?

Edit: Because I upgraded my Heide Knight Sword way too much and am regretting it...

For most everything, yes, although you'll need to get much further though the game.

For a few things no, but you can always NG+ / Ascetic.

Shindragon posted:

Yeah, he moves after you purchased/ talk to him. I don't recall having to exhaust his dialogue option though.

Most NPCs only move if you exhaust, but they move to Majula.

Gavlan is unique because he moves as soon as you interact with him the first time, no matter what. He's gone. And he doesn't go to Majula. He goes to another zone, and when you talk to him there the first time, he moves off to an 3rd zone. He never goes to Majula.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 26, 2014

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

So I may have accidentally murdered Gavlan with a barrage of soul arrows after being tricked by a sign that more or less warned 'Beware, Fatty' immediately before the door into his room.

How screwed am I? :smith:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Played a ton of co-op with my friends, ended up playing more or less the character I did on console, a spellsword.

Now rolled a new character, named him "Iron Tarkus" (Black Iron Tarkus wouldn't fit :smith: ) and now I'm helping newbies in Forest of Fallen Giants, co-oping with dual-shield using the red aggression ring.

COME AT ME BRO :black101: Makin' boss fights easy for people :)

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

So I may have accidentally murdered Gavlan with a barrage of soul arrows after being tricked by a sign that more or less warned 'Beware, Fatty' immediately before the door into his room.

How screwed am I? :smith:

I believe that in Dark Souls 2 there's a way to interact with dead NPCs using their tombstones. It'll just cost you more souls now.

But I don't know exactly for sure because I was careful not to kill anybody, especially anybody as awesome as Gavlan :colbert:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 26, 2014

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Did anyone else lose all sounds after the intro movie? If so, how did you fix the issue?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
I played with a friend at his place yesterday, and figured I would be able to just ping-pong my save since I was playing on my Steam account over at his place, but using one of his machines.

It looks like the game is producing a new save hash however, and said hash is bound to the save itself, so I can't just copy the .sl2 data to the new hashed folder generated by DS2 on my home PC. How can I fix this so I can use the save on my home computer?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, after smashing my face against the belfry for a bit, Lost Sinner was cake. Still didn't beat the belfry either.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've gotten use to KB+M and those who say this game is unplayable without a controller, know nothing :colbert:

Find it much easier to use the more I'm forced to do so. I wish they had third party controller options, but it looks like you're boned in that respect. I can jump attack and parry/riposte consistently. Guard Break is still eluding me, but I'm okay with that.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

when you're duel wielding, and you press strong attack on the lefthand, it makes a little twirl.. is this just a flashy taunt or is there a riposte in this that I can't time right?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Ruin Sentinels. They shouldn't be hard, but drat, they're kicking my rear end. I can get the last two down to about half health each and then I inevitably slip up and die. Thinking about homeboning out with my slowly accumulated souls and buying a shitton of throwing knives or upgrading my crossbow or something. My fireballs do like 60 damage and they're really dangerous approaching with a sword.

edit: Nvm. Turns out, killing them with a bastard sword is actually really easy.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 26, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Big tip for Iron Keep:
Just before the boss, in the room with the four-way fire breathing statues, there's a ladder leading up to a bonfire. There's also a switch to turn off all of the flaming statues!
I'm so happy I found this. The boss is easy but then you fall into that tiny lava pit gently caress.

Also, I'm having this problem where the game will just tab out and I go to my desktop. This happens completely at random. Any solution for this?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Ruin Sentinels. They shouldn't be hard, but drat, they're kicking my rear end. I can get the last two down to about half health each and then I inevitably slip up and die. Thinking about homeboning out with my slowly accumulated souls and buying a shitton of throwing knives or upgrading my crossbow or something. My fireballs do like 60 damage and they're really dangerous approaching with a sword.

If you're not opposed to summoning, there's an NPC before the fight that makes it a lot more manageable.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ethanol posted:

when you're duel wielding, and you press strong attack on the lefthand, it makes a little twirl.. is this just a flashy taunt or is there a riposte in this that I can't time right?

Its weapon specific. That is probably the curved sword parry.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I can't get a ps3 controller to work with this game for poo poo! I tried motioninjoy, few different profiles. It works but not when I'm in the game. Bullshit.

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Why are there enemies disappearing permanently? Can I get them back?

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Ravenfood posted:

Summoning some help really makes the difference with these guys. Having the fall damage reduction ring on after you beat the 1st one is helpful two, cause you probably want to fight the other two on the floor rather than on that little ledge.

e: nevermind, missed the edit!

tRIDAV posted:

This happens now if 1) you kill the same enemies a lot, something like 15-20 I think, or 2) the enemies kill you, like 10 times or something.

Prevents soul farming a ridiculous amount of souls I guess? I dunno what the logic is for it.

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 26, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh wow, at level 60 I'm specced way too badly to use hexes or pyromancies. Good thing I found a soul vessel, though I may want to wait a bit first. It seems like you level up way faster and more often than in DS1.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Umberger posted:

If you're not opposed to summoning, there's an NPC before the fight that makes it a lot more manageable.
I'm not opposed, but with how telegraphed their attacks are I felt like I shouldn't need to. Its okay. Hopefully that wasn't Lucatiel or something that I needed to actively progress the personal quest.

Unlike DS1, it seems like some weapons are just actively better than others. As far as I can tell, the Drangleic sword is just the Royal Greatsword, but better in every way, with higher stat reqs and a tiny bit more weight. Same moveset, a shitton more starting damage, and better scaling. Tell me why the Drangleic sword is a trap, because it seems like it. Or is it just kind of like the Black Knight weaponry?

edit: Okay, it upgrades with Twinkling. Now I understand. Guess it is a black knight analog!

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 26, 2014

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

tRIDAV posted:

Burn a human effigy in a fire

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Can somebody tell me what this stat is on weapons? Most of this I can (kind of) figure out, but I'm lost on this one:

Sex Robot posted:

This respawns all the despawned enemies? This is news to me.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Sex Robot posted:

Don't you mean bonfire ascetic?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Bleeding!

(press select on your controller)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does Straid seriously not leave the kamikaze zombie room? gently caress.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Ohhhhh, ok, that makes sense. I guess. If in Dark Souls you bleed Gak.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

:aaa:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Sex Robot posted:

Do not do this. This 'disconnects' you from online for about an hour, no invasions and no summoning. You want to burn an ACETIC to refresh despawned enemies. That said, it will respawn them with NG+ versions, so be deliberate and careful about using this option, as it will also 'upgrade' that zone around the bonfire to NG++, once you finally hit NG+. Each use of an acetic on a particular bonfire will further increase the difficulty, and before another acetic can be used on the same bonfire you must kill the boss associated with that fire (there may be some exceptions).

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
I know people have a hard on for playing with their friends but people seriously gotta stop banishing constantly. Don't crowd the bonfire if you're trying to get a friend, and if some bloke summons you it's what, 5 minutes of your time?

Goddamn playing the PC version of this game feels so much nicer than the month I've spent playing on PS3 but goddamn that frustrates me.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
^Bonfire aesthetic ascetic :cheeky:

Edit: this thread moves too drat fast. For content, does anyone know if asceticing the mcduff bonfire will get him to sell another uchigatana?

Riders of Brohan
Mar 31, 2011
Alright, so I was getting a bit frustrated with Pursuer so I decided to unhollow, summon a pair of phantoms, and trust that one of them knew how to use the ballistas on him. Thankfully, one of the fine fellows that joined me made a bee-line for the ballistas and started opening fire. After so much frustration, it was so amazing to see the boss's health drop all the way down to the last little nil....

It all seems to be lining up for me, the boss is near dead and while he is charging at me, I am ready to dodge. I roll backwards to avoid his attack, the second phantom rushes in to score the mortal blow, and.... I get a back full of ballista bolts from the other phantom (apparently friendly fire is a thing) and I immediately die. A split second later, the second phantom scores the killing blow.

I burst out laughing, of course, but when I run back to the boss room OF COURSE the fog door is still there and it didn't count as me winning, so now I have to do it all over again :negative:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Burn my only red eye orb. Game summons me right in the middle of the same room as the three dudes fighting a monster. I get surrounded and stabbed to death the instant I am no longer invincible.

Great, thanks game, it's not like those are a loving pain in the rear end to acquire.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Cactus posted:

I can parry ok but the riposte doesn't seem to be working - did I miss the bit in the tutorial area that showed me how to do that, or has it been changed/removed? I've tried both weak and strong attack right after parrying, just like in the first game making sure I'm right up close and not pushing in a direction (the backstab doesn't seem to work unless I'm not touching the right movement stick so I'm assuming riposte is the same?) Am I doing it wrong or is it just really finicky?

When you parry, the enemy will comically fall flat on their back. Wait until that happens, get super close, and hit light attack.

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

So if you die, the game punishes you by reducing your HP. And eventually it decides to make it easier by permanently despawning enemies. Except if you're having trouble with 1 particular part past the despawned enemies, you're now even worse off than before because you can't get souls. Except if you want to make them even more difficult by making them NG+ level if you have particular items. And none of this is told to the player either.

Guess practicing that lovely loving room of double 5+ zombie pulls before Ruin Sentinels trying to figure out a better way to do it was a mistake. I threw away like 20k worth of souls too because I wanted to practice it at the level I was.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Bleeding!

Actually as much of an idiot-savant of parsing the Dark Souls keyboard controls I am, I still haven't figured out which button corresponds to this. Anyone else know it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Kiggles posted:

I played with a friend at his place yesterday, and figured I would be able to just ping-pong my save since I was playing on my Steam account over at his place, but using one of his machines.

It looks like the game is producing a new save hash however, and said hash is bound to the save itself, so I can't just copy the .sl2 data to the new hashed folder generated by DS2 on my home PC. How can I fix this so I can use the save on my home computer?

I managed to copy my save over from one machine to another just fine, just kept the same folder names and hash names. Sucks they didn't auto copy saves though.

Are you trying to copy between different accounts?