Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I thought HA Chimchar/Torchic would be scooped up immediately every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Those are both things I get from wonder trade fairly regularly, so its not surprising if they don't trade well on GTS.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Lessons from GTS tradin: No One wants fire starters from any gen. Mudkips sell like hotcakes, however.

Cyndaquil was actually my default choice for GTS trades when I couldn't think of a decent equivalent. It might take a bit, but it'll happen.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I'm thinking later this year or next we're going to see Kalos native Latios and Latias making an appearance after the Diancie movie is out and done with. Talking with some friends who have dumped the game (but won't confirm anything for reasons) it sounds like they're locked away somewhere in the game with their stones (rather than just a giveaway). But the question is, where would they fit in the game thematically?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

korusan posted:

I'm thinking later this year or next we're going to see Kalos native Latios and Latias making an appearance after the Diancie movie is out and done with. Talking with some friends who have dumped the game (but won't confirm anything for reasons) it sounds like they're locked away somewhere in the game with their stones (rather than just a giveaway). But the question is, where would they fit in the game thematically?

What does theme have to do with anything in a game where Gen 1 Legends are just randomly chilling out around?

Plus they're roamers. So they flew in from Hoenn or wherever.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM

Crosscontaminant posted:

Drizzle. Politoed is not good enough in a universe where Mega Tyranitar and Mega Charizard Y exist.

Actually, I've had some success using Drizzle Politoed as a Mega Charizard Y counter. I just don't lead with Politoed if I see a Charizard on team preview. Then, when Charizard mega evolves, I send in Politoed to change the weather to rain. I've even gotten lucky before and switched in Politoed when Mega Charizard Y was preparing to use Solar Beam, giving me a chance to also switch-in something that resists Solar Beam.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Considering the Latis just appeared in the Dreamyard just last game, it's a bit strange to have them appear in the next game after, but it's been done before. Interesting how they're actually found in game, probably holding their stones, like the Soul Dew, or something.

It'd make sense for them to also appear alongside Zygarde and Volcanion for the next movie, with the final movie (depending on how long this gen is) being Hoopa + Mewtwo XY. Hell, the Latis could be to promote Gen III remakes/sequels/whatever, but it's all speculation.

The next games should be announced sometime this year, since B2/W2 were announced four months before their release, it's possible for them to shove one our this year, but most likely an announcement for next year.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Friendly reminder to competing goons in the current tournament, make sure to check it regularly, we have already had one goon lose his match for lack of communication and stalling the tournament.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Does anybody have like 3 qualot berries I could have?

edit: NM, those reset bags popped faster than I was expecting.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 26, 2014

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Or just a Chandelure with the move tutored on in BW2
I guess I should have clarified; this was a B/W tournament held before B/W2 were released, so no 5th gen tutors existed yet.

Spiffster posted:

Friendly reminder to competing goons in the current tournament, make sure to check it regularly, we have already had one goon lose his match for lack of communication and stalling the tournament.
I'm going to be battling Immer shortly, actually.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Goddammit, rain is terrible in X and Y. I wanted to EV train with hordes, so I went to route 19. It's raining, so I can't use sweet scent. "Alright," I say. "I'll take advantage of this rain and finally get a Goodra." I go catch a Sligoo, return to route 19, and it's no longer raining.

GAMEFREAK! :argh:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They should have just let you use sunny day on the overworld.

edit: Hey, which is a better name for an Archeops: Orville, or Early Bird?

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 26, 2014

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to chain dittos, but I keep running into pokemon other than ditto after 4-5 shaking patches. What am I doing wrong?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

Goddammit, rain is terrible in X and Y. I wanted to EV train with hordes, so I went to route 19. It's raining, so I can't use sweet scent. "Alright," I say. "I'll take advantage of this rain and finally get a Goodra." I go catch a Sligoo, return to route 19, and it's no longer raining.

So what you're saying is, if I really want to evolve a Sliggoo, it'll never rain and I can train on hordes forever. Noted.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

I wonder what would happen if Sliggoo could learn Sweet Scent. Probably the same thing that happened in Emerald.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Blaziken386 posted:

This should get added to the OP because it seems to come up pretty often but if you're having trouble with rain (finding it or it ruining horde training) you can set your 3DS time/date to a day when it is raining. I believe Monday 12pm-1pm usually works if you want rain.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Red Metal posted:

I'm trying to chain dittos, but I keep running into pokemon other than ditto after 4-5 shaking patches. What am I doing wrong?
Chaining Dittos instead of getting a 6 IV one from the trading thread.:colbert: (I'm assuming you're chaining dittos to get a 6 IV one for breeding; there are lots of Goons who will give them away, including myself.)

Real answer: here's a really in depth guide to chaining on Smogon. It's for gen 4 but not all that much has changed in chaining. I'll be honest, I still have no interest in chaining; if I really want a Shiny, it's either Pokecheck or breeding with a 6 IV Ditto.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Quantum Toast posted:

I wonder what would happen if Sliggoo could learn Sweet Scent. Probably the same thing that happened in Emerald.

What happened in Emerald?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

vulturesrow posted:

I'm slowly making my way through the game and am going to be putting together some teams soon. Whats the current FOTM? Because I don't want to use that ;)

Anyone? Bueller? ;)

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone? Bueller? ;)

If you're asking what are the most common Pokemon in online battles these list should be useful, Gen IV OU particularly.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Christo posted:

If you're asking what are the most common Pokemon in online battles these list should be useful, Gen IV OU particularly.

Yes but moreso what team compositions?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

fade5 posted:

if I really want a Shiny, it's either Pokecheck or breeding with a 6 IV Ditto.

I go the opposite way - I'll pokesav or breed pretty much anything but I demand shinies be natural.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

In case any of you are interested, here's the first movie for your viewing pleasure.
e: fixed the link. First one had most of the screen cut off.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Apr 27, 2014

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

vulturesrow posted:

Yes but moreso what team compositions?

I don't know if it's popular beyond the suspect tests but people were all about teams abusing Swagger a while ago. I don't pay enough attention to know if strategies change frequently enough for there to even be flavors of the month beyond the early part of the metagame where everyone uses Electivire or Talonflame or whatever.

I'm trying to think of a new team myself. I want to try and make a team that uses all of the Pokemon and strategies I see that look cool but are kind of gimmicky; things like Belly Drum Slurpuff, Focus Energy Hydreigon, or Mega Abomasnow in general.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Crossposting from trade thread:
Anyone here have a Bug-type safari with Paras in it? I need to catch a couple. My Safari's Dragon type.
FC: 1263 6844 1789

The Bible
May 8, 2010

I have no idea what my safari consists of. Friend Code is 1478-5141-4067 if anyone wants to let me know.

If you add me let me know so I can add you as well.

The Bible fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 27, 2014

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008
So I'm restarting my X game. I decided i would make it interesting and take my team from wonder trades. Well loosely, I'm just taking whatever I haven't used before in any full play through. It's been pretty fun so far, I have a tropius, mawhile, and rotom. If anyone wants to donate a 'mon they found fun and unique, let me know! FC: 0662-3590-6474. Fair warning I have almost nothing to fairly trade back that isn't from the first area.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Toastymcfly posted:

So I'm restarting my X game. I decided i would make it interesting and take my team from wonder trades. Well loosely, I'm just taking whatever I haven't used before in any full play through. It's been pretty fun so far, I have a tropius, mawhile, and rotom. If anyone wants to donate a 'mon they found fun and unique, let me know! FC: 0662-3590-6474. Fair warning I have almost nothing to fairly trade back that isn't from the first area.

Any requests on typing?
e: Add me and I'll send you an egg of a cool pokemon.

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 27, 2014

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blaziken386 posted:

Any requests on typing?

I suggested to a friend of mine that he get six friends to give random eggs, and make a team out of them. Mostly because another friend of mine sent me an egg that he didn't remember the contents of to fill out my own team, and I thought that was a fun way to fill a teamspot.

It ended up not working out, though, since he sent a Larvitar and I already had a big Fighting weakness.

EDIT: I feel like the egg run might be slightly better than a Wonder Trade-fuelled one, on average. People are unlikely to breed you an egg of a lovely Pokemon.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 27, 2014

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

Any requests on typing?

Preferably not fire since I picked fennekin, but I'm not really too picky! What's your friend code?

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

Toastymcfly posted:

I'll give you a Cottonee tomorrow. Its very special because you can't ever get it in game unless you trade.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Toastymcfly posted:

Preferably not fire since I picked fennekin, but I'm not really too picky! What's your friend code?

1263 6844 1789
e: where did you get a Piplup? I thought you only had pokemon from the beginning routes?

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 27, 2014

Toastymcfly
Mar 21, 2008

Blaziken386 posted:

1263 6844 1789
e: where did you get a Piplup? I thought you only had pokemon from the beginning routes?

I picked it up from wonder trade from some generous soul ha ha. I've used it a billion times throughout my okay throughs of plat though

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Geez. I forgot how disorganized I was back in Diamond. Transferring everything up is gonna be a chore and a half.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Complexcalibur posted:

I don't know if it's popular beyond the suspect tests but people were all about teams abusing Swagger a while ago. I don't pay enough attention to know if strategies change frequently enough for there to even be flavors of the month beyond the early part of the metagame where everyone uses Electivire or Talonflame or whatever.
Smogon seems to have a pattern going on right now where:
  1. Lower-ranking players (who maybe are more interested in toying around with neat gimmicks than competing for ratings) will happen upon something that means they can gain an extra hundred Elo without really trying too hard.
  2. People laddering face it a lot and maybe get sorta aggravated by it, and news travels on the grapevine.
  3. A discussion thread gets posted on the forums which fills with people whose grasp on what they're talking about is shaky.
  4. The decision is made to give it a suspect test.
  5. All the really skilled players start metateaming on the suspect ladder and decide that it's broken because in a controlled environment where people are encouraged to find ways to abuse something people find ways to abuse something.
  6. It gets banned.
Whether the thing was actually deserving of a ban ranges from "duh" (Funbro and the like, which are completely antithetical to the idea of competition) to "probably" (Swagger - you can make plans on the assumption that you'll get free turns because probability is on your side) to "doubtful" (Baton Pass - it seems like it only came up for discussion because it was the most reliable response to Swagger by people looking to quickly get reqs) but suffice it to say it's something of a vicious circle and it's harming Smogon's reputation even among people who did use it as a decent barometer for what's reasonable to use in singles play.

There is some degree of seasonalism about high-level competitive play, but it tends to come down to which set on a Pokémon which can do more than one thing is more common rather than which Pokémon is more common.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

I'm slowly making my way through the game and am going to be putting together some teams soon. Whats the current FOTM? Because I don't want to use that ;)

vulturesrow posted:

Anyone? Bueller? ;)

It sounds to me like you're going about this all wrong. Don't worry about what other people are doing, just figure out what you like and build around that. If you just base it on what you like to do, chances are it's not going to be exactly the same as what other people are using. You shouldn't be defining what you do in negative terms (and this applies to a lot of things in life, not just a videogame for children).

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It sounds to me like you're going about this all wrong. Don't worry about what other people are doing, just figure out what you like and build around that. If you just base it on what you like to do, chances are it's not going to be exactly the same as what other people are using. You shouldn't be defining what you do in negative terms (and this applies to a lot of things in life, not just a videogame for children).

My team for the April Friendly uses Gale Wings Talonflame, which everyone and their grandmother uses. I use it because hitting the Brave Bird button works on a lot of things. Not sure how many other players use Leftovers on Talonflame like I do, though.

On the other hand, Shell Smash Crustle with a White Herb is becoming my favorite lead. Crush all Greninjas. :getin:

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I'm trying to think of names for my RU team, but because I'm uncreative as hell I can't think of any.

Looking for names that are puns based on people (i.e. Lucario being Mila Canis, Goldeen being Goldeen Meier, etc.)

I'm too uncreative to think of names for:

Escavalier
Golem
Muk
Golurk
Hitmontop
Lanturn

Anybody got any ideas to help?

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I decided to bust out one of my old teams on Showdown from when gen 6 was brand new. All of the guys ended up being UU and I got a solid win streak going, although most of that was because most of the players I faced were bad. For those wondering the team was Physically defensive Slowbro (Slack Off, Toxic, Scald Psyshock regenerator), Offensive Roserade (HP Ground, Sleep, Powder, Giga Drain Sludge Bomb, technician), Cleric Florges (Wish, Aromatherapy, Protect, Moonblast), Choice Band Arcanine (Flare Blitz, ExtremeSpeed, Outrage, Wild Charge), Smeargle (Geomancy, Spore, Sticky Web, Baton Pass power Herb) and Mega Blastoise (Ice Beam, Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, Surf). Baton Passing the Geomancy into Blastoise would lead to a sweep about half the time but aside from that Roserade and Slowbro worked really well. Offensive Roserade is pretty great. Having access to a 90 BP move of a type of your choosing is awesome. The spiker set seems to be the more popular one so I was able to get quite a few kills with Life Orb boosted Hidden Powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Where are you guys getting your tier information from? I'd like to get back into playing on Showdown or even breeding new dudes, but I'm so out of the loop, and Smogon's website doesn't seem to have an actual tier list for gen 6 or finalized movesets for a lot of the guys. I want to play but don't have the time to waste in breeding dudes/making movesets that don't really work/gel well together.

• Locked thread