Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Is there a dominions wiki? From what I've been able to find, it looks like there used to be one but the guy running it shut everything down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

Is there a dominions wiki? From what I've been able to find, it looks like there used to be one but the guy running it shut everything down.

The dominions wiki is called the IRC channel and the dom4 database =[

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

It's not perfect, but this will pretty much have you covered.

http://dom4editor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inspector/index.html

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

ChickenWing posted:

Right here.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Illwinter posted:

2014-04-25 12:38:03 +0200
AI don't charge with centaur archers
Improved error detection for map loading
Typos
New nation mod commands: #cavenation, #coastnation
Fixed unit2com inconsistency bug when viewing casualty reports
I can fix Sawaiiki, yay

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

What happened to the old wiki, and why is it gone forever?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I don't know the details of what happened to it, but the guy who ran it was erratic and very resistant to offers of help. The whole thing was a bizarre kludge run off a memory dump of dom3 crammed into a database.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

I need more experience with summons as a way to productively use gems. I tend to float lots of gems, and I really don't know which summons are good or crap. Are there any particular nations with a broad summon orientation that would be good to learn on?

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
I just got the event where a party of adventurers join your cause (the good one, not Bogus and company), which is tied to them all fighting off a big dark vines. Now next turn I get an event that reads

quote:

The leader of the party of adventurers claim to have found a magical grove in the forest. It is guarded by sinister druids and their magical servants. One of the adventurers was caught and her friends now want to lead a rescue party into the forest

Anyone have some experience with this event and know what to expect? Do I need to place some troops there for a battle? Do I need to gather all the adventurers I got in step 1 to trigger the next step?

edit: For context, this event happened on turn 9 in a province where I'm about to finish a fort and have already built a lab + temple. If 4 dark vines end up wiping the province and wiping 1500 gold it's gonna be some classic :dominions:

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 27, 2014

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

It's not perfect, but this will pretty much have you covered.

With the sites, what does the rarity mean? I mean, obviously I know what rarity means, but what do these enumbers correspond to? Especially since some sites don't even have a rarity value.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Shachar posted:

I need more experience with summons as a way to productively use gems. I tend to float lots of gems, and I really don't know which summons are good or crap. Are there any particular nations with a broad summon orientation that would be good to learn on?

Try Lanka for blood. Agartha for gems.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Shachar posted:

Vanarus.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Shachar posted:

You can spend tens upon tens of gems equipping a single guy to fight. A banelord is 12 gems to summon and needs like 20-25 worth in gear. That is a lot of gems!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Shachar posted:

Also, focusing on summons isn't the best way to use gems in a lot of cases.

What types of gems do you tend to float?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Whats the deal with the Ancient Ruin event? It says a mage or an "adventurer" can enter it. What kind of mage do I need or what happens?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Decrepus posted:

Whats the deal with the Ancient Ruin event? It says a mage or an "adventurer" can enter it. What kind of mage do I need or what happens?

Any commander can enter it, what happens is random. Your commander might find nothing, he might have to fight a bunch of trolls, he might find riches or a magical item or gems or god only knows what else. He might go in and make friends with a spider who follows him back out, he might get experience who knows!

Its for sending a guy on an adventure; anyone who enters it is an adventurer.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Can you take bodyguards with on Guard Commander, like LA Man's "there's something in the forest" quests?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Some of the events you can, others you can't. Some events will trigger an army to attack the province so you can take your entire force with you, others trigger assassination events or more.

I've messed around with the effect of the site while modding and the only conclusions I could come to is that the results are highly random and usually positive and could be literally anything the game is capable of doing.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Today I learned that sometimes a major water bless can make your nation worse, by virtue of fatiguing out your sacreds too fast. Technically I already knew this, but that didn't stop me!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Joe posted:

Today I learned that sometimes a major water bless can make your nation worse, by virtue of fatiguing out your sacreds too fast. Technically I already knew this, but that didn't stop me!

Waterbless on Vanarus sacreds, a surefire way to take one of the absolute best tanks in the game and turn it into gravy

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Water bless Abyssia, because if they weren't going to break in the first four rounds, they probably weren't going to at all.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

Water bless Abyssia, because if they weren't going to break in the first four rounds, they probably weren't going to at all.
Same if you get those Onyx Amazon sacred Nightmares with 15 base fatigue. Strong bless.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

I Love You! posted:

Also, focusing on summons isn't the best way to use gems in a lot of cases.

What types of gems do you tend to float?

Well in one game as R'lyeh I have over 100 water and astral and some earth and death. I don't have much research to do a lot with them, but I will try turning some water gems into Sea Serpents because fear might be useful. And I'll try some School if Sharks action with a mage. I can eventually get Void Spectres but that research is still a ways away. I didn't even realize I can holding so many.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Are there any resources out there that those of you who actually know what they're doing might recommend to someone who doesn't know their astral pearl from their elbow (:haw:)? I've taken a peek at some LPs and stuff on the wiki saved via the Wayback Machine, but I can't seem to find anything that goes into "dear newbie here are all the most important things you should know" detail yet. I'm talking about how to examine races/pretenders and craft metastrategies, how to determine what units are good for what, how to decide what magic to use, scripting essentials, and so on.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

TheresNoThyme posted:

I just got the event where a party of adventurers join your cause (the good one, not Bogus and company), which is tied to them all fighting off a big dark vines. Now next turn I get an event that reads

Anyone have some experience with this event and know what to expect? Do I need to place some troops there for a battle? Do I need to gather all the adventurers I got in step 1 to trigger the next step?

edit: For context, this event happened on turn 9 in a province where I'm about to finish a fort and have already built a lab + temple. If 4 dark vines end up wiping the province and wiping 1500 gold it's gonna be some classic :dominions:

For anyone who is curious or just future reference, the event I described above does indeed lead to you getting attacked on the subsequent turn by several dark vines and a couple of druids. Fortunately, I hedged my bets and sent an army there on defense so I didn't lose my province construction.

The chain seems to be the following

-Random event to get 5 adventurers where they fight off some vines (hope you bought some PD)
-Next turn you get a warning about looking for more druids(this MAY be related to sitesearching with the 2N adventurer and finding a druid shrine, which I did immediately, but can't confirm that now)
-Next turn you get attacked
-If you still own the province on the next turn, you get a message saying you found their lair and you get some N gems + the pretty useless archer adventurer

Anyways, pretty cool that I now have a bunch of magic diversity and a dnd party to rename and send into battle

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ChickenWing posted:

Are there any resources out there that those of you who actually know what they're doing might recommend to someone who doesn't know their astral pearl from their elbow (:haw:)? I've taken a peek at some LPs and stuff on the wiki saved via the Wayback Machine, but I can't seem to find anything that goes into "dear newbie here are all the most important things you should know" detail yet. I'm talking about how to examine races/pretenders and craft metastrategies, how to determine what units are good for what, how to decide what magic to use, scripting essentials, and so on.

Did you not read the best LP? :colbert:

Or, you know, IRC.

Shachar posted:

Well in one game as R'lyeh I have over 100 water and astral and some earth and death. I don't have much research to do a lot with them, but I will try turning some water gems into Sea Serpents because fear might be useful. And I'll try some School if Sharks action with a mage. I can eventually get Void Spectres but that research is still a ways away. I didn't even realize I can holding so many.

Turn water into sea kings court. Then use the trolls to smash things. Trolls are the best chaff and decent on their own.

If you're UW, turn pearls into arcane nexus or if you're above water try turning them into ether warriors.

Death into bane lords or wights or liches or even shades as chaff depending on what you're fighting.

Earth into ogres or troll kings court or hidden in sand.

Try those things and see how they work for you. Then come ask questions.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
I would really recommend ether warriors in multiplayer unless you are fighting newbies. They are a huge gemsink and while they are good, they're not worth the cost.

Water gems should also become:

Water bottles
Water Bracelets
Robes of the Sea
Vengeful Waters (if you have a guy at w5 already)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

builds character posted:

Did you not read the best LP? :colbert:

Or, you know, IRC.

I'm actually in the middle of it now, page 49 :3: It seems to be more experienced people talking to other experienced people though - it's been educational, but only really on the finer points as opposed to broad strokes. As for IRC - I'm looking for more of a general newbie's guide as opposed to QnA, although I definitely will come by there.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Best reference site - you can look almost anything important up here once you understand the game mechanics

These are the most useful articles for noobs from the old wiki in my opinion.

Some important spells - a pretty incomplete list, but an okay starting point.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130109095223/http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Key_spell

Dom3 style thug equipment - more advanced, don't worry about this at first. Written by Lilli! Also unfortunately pretty outdated with Dom4 mechanics changes.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130201130958/http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Gearing_Thugs_and_SC%27s

I think it can be useful to read nation write-ups on Dom4Mods to learn about overall strategies and neat tactics. Or just ask about a nation in here or on IRC.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

ChickenWing posted:

It's not easy. From the top:

Look at your nation first. This can usually be done by making three games, one for each age, with all nations in each age as Human Player. Then when you want to examine a specific nation just load it up. The catch is it doesn't show you out-of-fort recruits. You can also more or less do the same thing through mod inspector.

Evaluating mages and units is very difficult and is probably the hardest skill in the game to learn. For mages: A3/A4, F3, W3 or E3 means you have good battlemagic capability in Evocation (Thunder Strike, Falling Fires, Falling Frost, Blade Wind respectively). If those only come from randoms, you have the capability but it's hard to spam. A3, F2, E2 means you can boost to having good capability using the Conjuration xpower spells, Storm Power + Storm, Phoenix Power, Earthpower. E2/E3 can also lead into the Alteration debuff spells (Destruction, Earth Meld). D3 is skellyspam territory (Raise Skeletons / Horde of Skeletons in Enchantment) and you should also look to see if your nation either supports undead or demons (Darkness, Rigor Mortis) or supports summoning and gearing Bane Lord thugs, or a national equivalent. A2 H1+ with better than human hitpoints can usually be thugged with Mistform and regeneration from the N9 bless. A plethora of S1+ means you need to consider Communions, especially if your other paths are low but varied. Thug gear comes from W1 / F1E1 (Frost Brand / Fire Brand), N2 / F1E1 (Vine Shield, Eye Shield, Shield of Gleaming Gold), and complemented from stuff like A2 (Flying Shoes), W2 (Bottle of Living Water), D2 (Horror Helm) and many other items. N3+ and cap nature income means you might be in the running to contest Mother Oak and Gift of Health. There are countless other magical capabilities that you need to evaluate, but those are the basic early/early-mid stuff. Then you look at mage availability and figure out if it's viable to spend gold on good mages early, and if not where is your early research going to come from. You also consider the role of each mage at different points in the game (research, battlemagic, buffing magic, lab mage for rituals/forging, thug, etc), keeping in mind most mages contribute at least a little to researching, and where that mage will come from (cap forts, noncap forts, costly for gold, easily spammed even if short on gold, etc).

For units: There are some basic roles that troops fill.
- Elite troops can slug it out with indeps and non-elite armies and come out on top despite being somewhat outnumbered; this is stuff like Jaguar Warriors, Heavy Cavalry, Dawn Guard, Elite Warriors (actually probably not in Dom4 due to morale, but I digress). They usually have above-average attack, defense, number of attacks, hitpoints, etc. Often sacred troops are in this category, in which case you need to think about whether they're worth spending points for a bless despite their downsides (are they cap-only, are they only slightly better than line troops, are they squishy in some particular way like to arrows or having only human hitpoints, are they impossible to mass due to res cost etc).
- Chaff are usually whatever has the lowest resource and gold cost, you should be able to recruit dozens in a single turn, and they'll be used to draw enemy mage fire while your own mages blow stuff up. When picking chaff, you want to avoid troops that'll break too quickly, like most militias, so you can't judge purely on cost efficiency, but usually it's pretty obvious.
- Heavy Infantry, or whatever equates to, are troops with shields that you stick in front in order to have archers target them. Shields are essential, high prot is nice, but massability is also important. For example, Eriu's Fir Bolg are probably better at this than their Milesian Longspears because of their lower res cost.
- Often a nation will have a massable archer, and almost always the thing to look for is gold and res cost, because volume of fire is important unless there are special bow types. In Dom4 crossbows are usually preferred if they're cheap enough in res.
- You also have troops that fit specific roles; glaives or two-handed swords to kill easy-to-hit high-hp targets, troops with special weapon types like Ulm's Guardians, net tritons for anti-SC and anti-elite work, machaka spider riders that are better in their second from than their first although they might count as elites.

When you look at troops, attack, defense (accounting that shield parry isn't "real" defense), size & hp, weapon damage and strength, shield or no shield, prot, and special abilities are all good things to evaluate, probably in that order. Some special abilities make or break a troop, like Ethereal or Awe, some are basically worthless except in specific situations, like siege bonus or pillage bonus. MR and morale are not so important unless they are exceptional in some way, either good or bad. Remember that in Dominions MR only applies to spells that specifically resist it, which is probably only like 20% of battlemagic out there.

Once you've done all that, you need to formulate an early-game plan. The plan should include:
- Method of expansion. You want something in the range of 12 to 15 provinces at the end of year 1, consistently, despite bad terrain or indeps.
- First research goal and a conception of when you'll reach it. You want your mages to become effective quickly, even if you don't use them immediately.
- A few reactionary plans for when you encounter enemies using specific early strategies, like high-prot units, or archers, or low-prot sacreds, or giant sacreds. Once you play a few games this part will become MUCH easier, so don't worry if you have no idea for your first games.
- A few midgame targets, usually rituals or items, that you can focus for if you aren't in an offensive race or need to react.

For expansion, you put together expansion parties that combo damage dealing (sacreds, archers, elites) and survivability (heavy infantry blockers, sacreds, elites). If what you have isn't enough, you consider a SC pretender, usually one that you can put Awe on with Domstrength 9, has high hitpoints, and good protection and possibly some kind of special ability. When in doubt, take a Dom9 Dragon.
For first research goal, it should be something at level 2 3 4 or 5 that you can cast with your mages easily and that is worth casting, as in will turn the tide of battle on its own. Fireball for example, might be great for F2 mages, won't turn a battle unless you have dozens.
Reactionary plans should be research goals akin to the one above, or recruitment and script strategy sets. For example if you face down low-prot sacreds, you might divert from high-prot elites to archer spam, and you would consider diverting to Flaming Arrows at Ench 4.
For midgame targets, think things like Mother Oak, Gift of Health, Eternal Pyre, Vengful Water, or things like Thugs with Mistform, Brands/Shields, and Cloud Trapeze, or Lightless Lanterns for a Conj 9 rush to Tartarians.

Once you have all that, figure out what kind of pretender supports your specific goals, the ones you've specifically outlined in the previous process and that you can't do easily with national mages. If you need a bless, pay for it. If you are going to use high-res troops, take prod. If your primary researcher is low-rp, consider losing the drain scales. When in doubt, more gold never hurts. Your pretender should be purpose-built for the goals you've outlined. Learning the Magic Path Boosters will help you along here, at least the non-artifact ones (you can pretty much ignore artifacts beyond novelty value, just as an aside). So for example, I want to be able to cast Mother Oak with my Dormant pretender, so I will take N4 with the expectation that I'll grab a Thistle Mace to boost to N5. If I was rushing Mother Oak, I would need N5 because I wouldn't have time for const. Similarly, let's say I wanted to forge Soul Contracts. I could take a pretender with F1 B7, but there's no way I'd have the slave income to spam them early, so more likely I'd take F1 B4 and forge a Blood Thorn, Brazen Vessel, Armor of Souls to boost to F1 B7 once I have Const 6. No matter what, taking stuff and not knowing what for is a waste. You might do it your first few games, but after that you want to narrow your pretender's magic paths down to exactly what you need and no more.

If you're starting out, then you probably want to run a test game or two using your pretender and expansion strategy to see if you can hit the benchmarks. 15 provs year 2, first research goal when you expect it, and your second fort started turn 3 or 4 or 5 at the very latest. Some tricks for this: indep commanders are useful and you should time them to hit the cap when there's an expansion party ready, expensive mages are not worth it the first few turns, once you start making slow-to-rec you'll have off-turns where you can start more forts or make labs/temples, and your expansion pace relies very much on if you've memorized and know the capabilities of various indep types. Barbarians hit hard but are vul to arrows, heavy cavalry numbers few but always causes heavy casualties, shaman will curse SCs, wolf tribe double daggers are dangerous to low-prot units that rely on def, etc. The only way to know this is practice.

I'm certain there are dozens of tips for newbies I can mention but it's difficult because the early game before player contact is kind of second nature to a lot of vets, so just keep asking questions and more stuff will come to mind.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 29, 2014

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

2014-04-27 22:41:17 +0200
Ragha units and nationdata
Temple gemgen
Heatrecruit
Coldrecruit
Climateresist

quote:

can say with certainty that there is a new nation in the works. In the late era. Also, there are going to be some changes to certain existing nations that will shake up the lore and the lineups by quite a bit.

quote:

The entire nation is less affected by the extremes of the heat/cold scale than others.

New stuff: nations/units less affected by heat scale, exclusive recruit to heat or cold provinces and temples that generate gems. And changes to existing nations. I suppose Illwinter will apply some of the new stuff to existing nations, instead of just the new one.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Recruitment affected by scales is a super interesting idea.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

This is an awesome starting point, thanks. Hopefully this plus some games on my own will get me over the newbie hump and into the zone of marginal competence. People on IRC mentioned that a newbie MP game might be a good idea, so I'll have to keep an eye out for that too.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

Best reference site - you can look almost anything important up here once you understand the game mechanics

These are the most useful articles for noobs from the old wiki in my opinion.

Some important spells - a pretty incomplete list, but an okay starting point.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130109095223/http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Key_spell

Dom3 style thug equipment - more advanced, don't worry about this at first. Written by Lilli! Also unfortunately pretty outdated with Dom4 mechanics changes.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130201130958/http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Gearing_Thugs_and_SC%27s

I think it can be useful to read nation write-ups on Dom4Mods to learn about overall strategies and neat tactics. Or just ask about a nation in here or on IRC.

Someone should rip the relevant information from that wiki and put up a new one. Would be nice to be able to work on a new one, and put up new strategies and such.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The Gentleman posted:

Someone should rip the relevant information from that wiki and put up a new one. Would be nice to be able to work on a new one, and put up new strategies and such.

As long as the dom3 niefel turtle strat is modernized for dom4. This is important :colbert:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Nuclearmonkee posted:

As long as the dom3 niefel turtle strat is modernized for dom4. This is important :colbert:

Well with Slow to Recruit change you just need to spend 40 turns in your cap before conquering the world.

Shachar
Apr 5, 2006

ChickenWing posted:

I'm actually in the middle of it now, page 49 :3: It seems to be more experienced people talking to other experienced people though - it's been educational, but only really on the finer points as opposed to broad strokes. As for IRC - I'm looking for more of a general newbie's guide as opposed to QnA, although I definitely will come by there.

I've learned a lot by reading nation guides. Although they address specific conditions, there's often useful insight to be gained on how to analyze units/spells/situations and some good general knowledge. For example, I learned about a lot of useful low level spells for many different paths in a guide to EA Ulm and its ideas on how to make use of very random low level mages: http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/primer-ea-ulm-not-gods-not-giants-just-men

Everything else by that poster, Zinegata, has also been educational. He does a good job of explaining the thought process behind his suggestions.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Baalz guides were good enough for me so they are good enough for anyone.

Most of them are still semi-relevant too. Though they are more of a guide of fun things you can do with each nation rather than an actual cohesive strategy.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I mean, I could probably try to do it, but I'm not fully sure what the situation with the old Wiki is - why it's down, if its coming up. If the old owner is just pissy about it it and its stuff people have contributed, then it feels more than fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

If you want to find out, a lot of the mods of the old wiki hang out on the dom3mods forum. From brief searching, it seems like one of the guys over there has the source for the old wiki and has promised to do something with it, but with no visible results so far.

Maybe ask someone in their IRC if you have web coding skills or whatever.

• Locked thread