Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Any place I can get Lockstones? I just hit Sinner's Rise and I've used three already (one I bought, one I found, and one I grabbed in the giant Majula pit, I think). There's a room just after the Ruin Sentinel room I'm anxious to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ravenfood posted:

Any place I can get Lockstones? I just hit Sinner's Rise and I've used three already (one I bought, one I found, and one I grabbed in the giant Majula pit, I think). There's a room just after the Ruin Sentinel room I'm anxious to try.

There's a covenant in the giant pit that rewards a Lockstone every time you successfully kill someone for it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

Tip for certain very poisonous areas: Once you cut the statues, they're cut forever. Try to proceed carefully and destroy them all for a poison-free black gulch!

EDIT: OR NOT YOU KNOW WHATEVER WHO CARES THANKS FROM they respawn if you die, but not from resting in the bonfire.

They operate on barrel/crate rules: They stay smashed until you reload the section, either by leaving the area or dying.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, you've missed them.

The small white sign soapstone: There's a staircase in the Cardinal Tower bonfire room. Head up it to find the stone in a chest. Watch out for hollows.

What about the item in that room that appears to be out of reach?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DrNutt posted:

What about the item in that room that appears to be out of reach?

You mean the dude on the root? Just carefully walk off the ledge to drop onto it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How do I use cracked blue eye orbs? I'm a sentinel, human, and wearing the ring, but it's still not an option. Also, this covenant is kind of boring so far.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

How do I use cracked blue eye orbs? I'm a sentinel, human, and wearing the ring, but it's still not an option. Also, this covenant is kind of boring so far.

Are you standing in a viable invasion area? It's just like Dark Souls 1 in that you can't launch an invasion from a place where you can't be invaded, so if you're somewhere like Majula or inside the Blue Cathedral it won't work.

Beyond that... try taking the ring off, then check your network connection?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Are you standing in a viable invasion area? It's just like Dark Souls 1 in that you can't launch an invasion from a place where you can't be invaded, so if you're somewhere like Majula or inside the Blue Cathedral it won't work.

Beyond that... try taking the ring off, then check your network connection?

No, but I moved somewhere else and tried again and it worked. There's no one to invade, however.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Any tips for The Rotten?

Its grab attack is murdering me and I don't see any way to do a lot of damage between its strikes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cowcaster posted:

You mean the dude on the root? Just carefully walk off the ledge to drop onto it.

Awesome, thanks for the help!

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Am I right in thinking that there aren't many benefits to dual wielding in the early game? I don't have the stats to do the power stance and I just realized that I attack every bit as quickly with one weapon as I do two.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

KoldPT posted:

Any tips for The Rotten?

Its grab attack is murdering me and I don't see any way to do a lot of damage between its strikes.

You can chop his arms off if you take off auto lock.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In the belfry a grey spirit attacked me before the summon animation finished and my estus flask healed me for zero. :thumbsup:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I managed to copy my save over from one machine to another just fine, just kept the same folder names and hash names. Sucks they didn't auto copy saves though.

Are you trying to copy between different accounts?

Nope, same account. Logged in at his place with the same account I use here at home.

If you aren't having any trouble he may have made a mistake and sent me the save data from the wrong machine. I'll double check there and report back whether we're idiots or not. Thanks for the heads up.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

There's a covenant in the giant pit that rewards a Lockstone every time you successfully kill someone for it.
Well, guess I'm going to try exploring down there, then.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Asehujiko posted:

1. Where do I go after I killed the pursuer? Do I steal his ride to god knows where or try out one of the other "wings" in Majula?

2. Does adaptability provide benefits for armoured brick playstyles that barely use roll or should I put the points in vgr/end/str instead?

3. Does armour resistance come into effect before or after stamina reduction on block is calculated?

1. You can do this. Not at the platform where you fight him early, but over by the area where you fight him with the ballistas. There's a big bird's nest there, go to it for a ride. Or you can go through Heide, which will take you to the same place eventually through a longer but more soul-heavy route.

2. Adaptability also affects how fast you use items. If it's low you'll take a long time to do things like drink estus, which can easily get you killed in combat. I think it also affects a few other things like your stability, but I might be wrong on that.

No idea on #3.

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey, where is the map in the cartographers mansion? is there one in the first place? also, I keep seeing messages about 'illusions' how do I dispel them?

The map is in the big open area of the basement (not the boarded up part). This probably won't become clear until after you kill certain big important bosses.

Illusory walls are opened by standing in front of them and hitting the interaction button (which is A on the Xbox, not sure about the others). It's always worth trying, but also keep in mind that people put that message down sometimes when there's no secret wall there just to troll people.

Ravenfood posted:

Well, guess I'm going to try exploring down there, then.

A word of warning, unless you're in the covenant don't waste all your lockstones down there. Most of them are not treasure. And they're actually fairly plentiful even outside the covenant. I found 16-17 by endgame just by exploring. Far more than I needed really.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 26, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is there any reason I can't use estus when summoned anymore? Was that unique to the way of the blue?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Gortarius posted:

So you can only level up at Majula, but bonfires are connected by default so...

What the hell is the point of that restriction? I'm sure it's been brought up before but man, what a dumb decision that was.

I think it's about encouraging you to spend the souls you have, since you have to go to Majula you might as well stock up, reinforce stuff, or pick up a new weapon to try instead of letting the souls sit there and get lost from two screw ups in a row. I think the limited respawns is about that to, I know I don't sit on a stock pile of souls nearly as often as I did in Darks Souls now that the souls are finite and can't be ground back up outside of bro-oping.

Kimmalah posted:

Illusory walls are opened by standing in front of them and hitting the interaction button (which is A on the Xbox, not sure about the others). It's always worth trying, but also keep in mind that people put that message down sometimes when there's no secret wall there just to troll people.

And to get ratings when people start smooshing their faces into the wall and hammering the interact button to find it.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 26, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

No, but I moved somewhere else and tried again and it worked. There's no one to invade, however.

Game's been out 2 days. Blue Sentinel invasion is the most complicated system. It'll take awhile to ramp up as players start dicking around.

You can go duel other blue sentinels in the basement of the church, though.

Or you can join another guild for awhile (Bell Keepers, Rat Clan) And switch back in a few days. No penalties for leaving in this game.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!

RBA Starblade posted:

Also, this covenant is kind of boring so far.

If my experience on the 360 was any indication, being a Blue Cop doesn't pay off until NG+. A lot of people take a victory lap after beating the story by murdering all the NPCs for their gear or doing some invasions, which means suddenly you have a deep, deep pool of sin to cleanse.

I went from successfully invading 1/10 tries to a never-ending conga line of PVP in NG+, though your mileage may vary.

Being a Bellboy pays off immediately in a furious spray of titanite chunks and murder, though, so you might just put off really putting the spurs on Blue Sentinels till later.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

Is there any reason I can't use estus when summoned anymore? Was that unique to the way of the blue?

You can't use estus when you're a phantom if there's PvP going on, for whatever reason. Its kinda weird yeah.

If you're a white or sunbro phantom you can use a flask, but then if you get invaded, now you can't.

If you're a blue guardian phantom that kinda means you never can, since you only get summoned in response to invasion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zaphod42 posted:

Or you can join another guild for awhile (Bell Keepers, Rat Clan) And switch back in a few days. No penalties for leaving in this game.

May just go back to the bell keepers, but I'll give it a shot for a while.

quote:

You can't use estus when you're a phantom if there's PvP going on, for whatever reason. Its kinda weird yeah.

Oh, that's kind of weird. It was in pvp though so that makes sense why I couldn't then.

quote:

Being a Bellboy pays off immediately in a furious spray of titanite chunks and murder, though, so you might just put off really putting the spurs on Blue Sentinels till later.

I already did that, it's just Belfry Luna's getting boring (though I still can't beat the boss, as a phantom or otherwise everyone just gets swarmed). I'll switch back when I come across Sol.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Between the dudes in Pharros and Black Gulch, I was absolutely rolling in titanite chunks without the covenant. You just have to dress in goofy looking item discovery gear. :haw:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

RBA Starblade posted:

Does this happen during fights with enemy phantoms? There's an item that causes it.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
From a few pages ago:

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

On the topic of GAVLAN DEAL: Will the guy ever turn up in Majula?

He shows up in a different location after you meet him for the first time. In this case, he will be in Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak area, going through poison is required. After that, I don't know where he goes.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DrGreatJob posted:

From a few pages ago:

He shows up in a different location after you meet him for the first time. In this case, he will be in Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak area, going through poison is required. After that, I don't know where he goes.

After Harvest Valley he moves to Doors of Pharros, which becomes his permanent location. It's up two sets of stairs before you hit the first bonfire. He never moves to Majula which kind of sucks, but whatever.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So has there been any word about the devs adding back in the old lighting system to the PC version any time soon or is the game continuing on as a massive bait-and-switch?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Are weapons and equipment with reduced durability less effective, or do they stay at 100% until broken?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

So has there been any word about the devs adding back in the old lighting system to the PC version any time soon or is the game continuing on as a massive bait-and-switch?

No. But it looks like modders are already trying to simulate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN4znC0A9_Q

Seems pretty performance heavy though

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

GreatGreen posted:

When even From Software has to excise something for being too frustrating I don't know why anybody would want it back.

[edit]I mean it seriously must have inspired a murder spree because they wouldn't pull it for a few measly rage induced strokes.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 26, 2014

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Lord Lambeth posted:

No. But it looks like modders are already trying to simulate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN4znC0A9_Q

Seems pretty performance heavy though

Umm which one is 'improved' ?

lol when someone asked this question, the uploader answered "It is best to compare it in your own game. -from here just two clicks away" rear end in a top hat.

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 26, 2014

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

GreatGreen posted:

Shut the hell up.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Just got invaded for first time ever!! I had just made it to the Tower of Flame area, and suddenly a red-dude appeared and started shooting magic at me. I ran and dodged around and hit every summon sign I saw. Most of them weren't working, but I managed to get a guy to come and help eventually. The "Dark spirit" dropped my new ally, so I ran and hit more summons. 2-3 more murdered phantoms later and I finally got a Halbred combo in and finished the red guy off!

This game owns. Dark Souls owns.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Shut the hell up.

I'm sorry I've committed the cardinal sin of suggesting your new favorite game might not be the absolute perfect apex of human entertainment, but it was an honest and sincere question about an issue that lots of people find important.

tl;dr - no u shut the hell up

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone have a list of Status effect images?

You know the ones that show under your stamina bar??

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

PirateBob posted:

Umm which one is 'improved' ?

lol when someone asked this question, the uploader answered "It is best to compare it in your own game. -from here just two clicks away" rear end in a top hat.

Yeah I honestly can't tell for certain which is which. But I'm not really seeing anything that looks "better."

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
In the Bastille I've got the first 3 bonfires and I killed the Ruin Sentinels but I can't figure out where to go next. Also this is the only area I've found to progress in except I guess Belfry Luna, so what am I missing?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

play dark souls 1 for five minutes and then weep at the lighting in ds2

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Red Crown posted:

Am I right in thinking that there aren't many benefits to dual wielding in the early game? I don't have the stats to do the power stance and I just realized that I attack every bit as quickly with one weapon as I do two.
Powerstancing is not some sort of straight upgrade, it just unlocks some more utility, as its benefits are fairly slight. Likewise, the benefits of just having a weapon in your off-hand non-powerstance are similarly slight. Just compared to powerstance, you have the off-hand's full moveset. Powerstancing replaces the Left shoulder buttons with attacks that use both weapons simultaneously. This may or may not be ideal, so even once you can powerstance you may want to temporarily go back to vanilla dual-wield, or even 2hand your main weapon.

So a few points, weapon durability is a big thing now, so being able to attack from your left side can be helpful to avoid unnecessary durability damage from clipping walls. Same for outright bouncing your weapon. It is slight, but it isn't like powerstancing is all that great. In my experience, 2handing your main weapon would yield better damage and poise stagger than powerstancing (mace powerstance moveset withstanding). Finally, alternating left-right attacks can sometimes be a bit faster than the combo moveset on a given weapon. Experiment. Any benefit may be slight, but its all situational. I would frequently just vanilla dual wield, even after 40/40 str/dex and could powerstance a whole bunch of different weapons.

That said, dual-wielding is MUCH better than in Dark or Demon's Souls, if only because shields just aren't all that great anymore. It takes a moment to get your shield up now, so you have to turtle just a bit more than before. At the same time being careless, or being overwhelmed will heavily punish you for using a shield. I basically cooped through the game on PS3 with a friend, and he would consistently be smashed repeatedly while he was using a shield, where I was having fewer problems just dual-wielding. Generally, he too would have fewer problems the moment he ditched the shield. As a result, I only ended up using a shield for about two hours on the first character out of three, and over 100 hours on PS3 alone. They're not poo poo, they're just not nearly as important, even if you have low ADP/AGI.

So, no, even disregarding the shield, there are benefits for vanilla dual-wield; you have more options available to you (less important in PvE, but nice). Considering the shield... they're just not all that good anymore (still great, but you can safely ignore shields).

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

I'm sorry I've committed the cardinal sin of suggesting your new favorite game might not be the absolute perfect apex of human entertainment, but it was an honest and sincere question about an issue that lots of people find important.

tl;dr - no u shut the hell up

An entire lighting engine/additional lighting sources isn't something you can tweak just by editing an .ini file someplace. It's not likely someone's going to reverse engineer the game code, inject a lightning system built from scratch, and distribute it as a mod.