Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

coconono posted:

And why isn't Flash a moody recovering alcoholic battling for supremacy with the Symbiote anymore?

I thought that due to joining the Avengers he has the Symbiote under control. As for the alcohol thing, I am sure he and Captain Marvel will be having space AA meetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

bobkatt013 posted:

I thought that due to joining the Avengers he has the Symbiote under control. As for the alcohol thing, I am sure he and Captain Marvel will be having space AA meetings.

Oh wow, Unlimited has the entire run of Venom up to previous issue. I stopped after the Circle of Four arc but it looks like I've got some reading to do.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

bobkatt013 posted:

Have they even mentioned Carol's alcoholism in her new series? I gave around fake Deathbird and I don't remember them mention anything.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Have they even mentioned Carol's alcoholism in her new series? I gave around fake Deathbird and I don't remember them mention anything.

No, I don't think it was ever brought up. KSD never really did anything with Carol's history other than the Yon-Rogg stuff. Which is the way it probably should be, stuff like Bendis bringing up the pregnancy thing in a modern context is just weird.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

No, I don't think it was ever brought up. KSD never really did anything with Carol's history other than the Yon-Rogg stuff. Which is the way it probably should be, stuff like Bendis bringing up the pregnancy thing in a modern context is just weird.

No one talks about the pregnancy unless its a joke about how awful it is. I am also shocked that KSD did not bring up her alcoholic past since she does live with one.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Hakkesshu posted:

I dunno. I think there may be a "bit" of a difference between being an alcoholic or someone who deals with similar issues to "giving birth to your crazy evil boyfriend because comics".

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

No one talks about the pregnancy unless its a joke about how awful it is. I am also shocked that KSD did not bring up her alcoholic past since she does live with one.

She's mentioned that she has had struggles with addiction in the past as well. I could have sworn it was brought up at some point but I might be confusing her books with her tumblr.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

I dunno. I think there may be a "bit" of a difference between being an alcoholic or someone who deals with similar issues to "giving birth to your crazy evil boyfriend because comics".

Obviously, but the character was essentially rebooted and I don't think there's much point to try and make everything fit all the time. Not that I would mind if it was brought up and handled well, but I thought that original alcoholic arc was pretty lovely as well.

Edit: And then there's all the Rogue stuff, ugh. gently caress no, do the alcoholic arc again and do it better, that's fine, but I don't think anything in Carol's publicated history is worth keeping or addressing other than the time she lead the Avengers, because it's all loving garbage.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 25, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Obviously, but the character was essentially rebooted and I don't think there's much point to try and make everything fit all the time. Not that I would mind if it was brought up and handled well, but I thought that original alcoholic arc was pretty lovely as well.

Edit: And then there's all the Rogue stuff, ugh. gently caress no, do the alcoholic arc again and do it better, that's fine, but I don't think anything in Carol's publicated history is worth keeping or addressing other than the time she lead the Avengers, because it's all loving garbage.

The Rogue stuff was to get rid off all the poo poo in regards to Marcus. As for the alcoholic arc you know it will be brought up by Bendis.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

The Rogue stuff was to get rid off all the poo poo in regards to Marcus. As for the alcoholic arc you know it will be brought up by Bendis.

Like I said, don't mind assuming it's handled well. Which, well, Bendis has mishandled plenty of stuff (including bringing up the pregnancy thing), but he's still pretty much the reason I care about the character nowadays.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Like I said, don't mind assuming it's handled well. Bendis has mishandled plenty of stuff (including bringing up the pregnancy thing), but he's stil, pretty much the reason I care about the character nowadays.

When did he bring it up other then mocking it when Jessica had her kid.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

When did he bring it up other then mocking it when Jessica had her kid.

That's what I'm talking about. I don't think it should be brought up in-universe, even in mockery, since lending it even a little bit of credence is more than it deserves.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

That's what I'm talking about. I don't think it should be brought up in-universe, even in mockery, since lending it even a little bit of credence is more than it deserves.

They do the same thing with clones. It deserves its mockery.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
When it's not mocked it's either used to make the Avengers look bad or to make them look guiltless with the most obvious absolution of "Guy messing with Carol's mind was messing with everybody else's mind"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Waterhaul posted:

I think during one of the earlier issues, the cancer lady jokes about going to have a drink and what a terrible idea it would be.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

bobkatt013 posted:

No one talks about the pregnancy unless its a joke about how awful it is.

I thought they quietly retconned that under the carpet.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gynovore posted:

I thought they quietly retconned that under the carpet.

No it was mentioned in the Pulse, no one talks about it. Its sort of like the Crossing or clone saga. It happened you just don't mention it unless its a punch line. Its also due to that Rogue was created and took Carol's memories.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
In her mid 2000s Solo book, I rather liked the Rogue/Carol/Warbird arc. They were just starting to get along, and Carol goes and breaks a bunch of Rogue's ribs.

Though based on what I read during AvsX, they have pretty much got to a low key hostility. Rogue's too busy being a huge bitch to Wanda now anyways.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Outside of issue 1, What If?! Age Of Ultron has been a really solid diversion. This week's issue, featuring Frank Castle getting chosen by the Illuminati to be the next Captain America, is a story I'd totally buy in regular continuity.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Matlock posted:

Outside of issue 1, What If?! Age Of Ultron has been a really solid diversion. This week's issue, featuring Frank Castle getting chosen by the Illuminati to be the next Captain America, is a story I'd totally buy in regular continuity.

That sounds amazing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Frank decided to pick up the mantel in the regular continuity.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

This is so toyetic it hurts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

This is so toyetic it hurts.

I don't think they ever did a toy of this, what an missed opportunity!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Doesn't stop it from looking like a bad action figure design.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

I don't think they ever did a toy of this, what an missed opportunity!

He did, actually! ...it was for Superhero Squad. :psyduck:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

He did, actually! ...it was for Superhero Squad. :psyduck:

Good gravy.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

That was such a great arc.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
That was a low moment for my view of Matt Fraction's writing... aimed so low, yet fell so far despite the above, because Frank only kicked rear end with guns for all of two panels before being swarmed, and it was so hilariously narm... as per the trope.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So, the Original Sin panel is going on at C2E2 and apparently Angela is Thor and Loki's sister. :psyduck:

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Rhyno posted:

Good gravy.

It was a two pack with Deathlok. I bought the hell out of that nonsensical, adorable thing.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So, the Original Sin panel is going on at C2E2 and apparently Angela is Thor and Loki's sister. :psyduck:

Haha, I hope this means we get Angela in Thor 3 just to see Todd Macfarlane's brain explode with rage

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

As in Odin's bastard? He would have done some extra dimensional loving when he was younger

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

We have an Original Sin thread.

(And promo stuff isn't spoilers)

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

How is that even possible?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Odin shapechanged into a woman giant and hosed laufry to make a baby Angela

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

E the Shaggy posted:

Well you see, when two gods love each other very much...

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

redbackground posted:

Well you see, when two gods love each other very much...

one of them turns into a giant swan...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

E the Shaggy posted:

Odin hangs out with Zeus. All things are possible when that's your wingman.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SirDan3k posted:

one of them turns into a giant swan...

Then a shower of gold happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011