Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I've not tested dual-up on it yet, but I would think so, the seat is a bit more grippy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M. Night Skymall posted:

Definitely could, but this is my first time messing with any of this on a bike and it was cramped enough trying to get the measurements done, just feel a lot more comfortable if I had more room to see what's going on once I start messing with my cams. I'll set aside some time to do the adjustments pretty soon then.

You can usually remove the radiator, disconnect the wiring for the fan at the connector, and have enough space to work easily - only need to remove a couple of bolts and that connector and it slides out of the way without draining any coolant :)

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
New pair of pilot powers/tubes, new front and rear brake pads, new gloves. It was a good day.

Coming soon: Chain roller, truing front rim, wheel bearings maybe, valve check.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 27, 2014

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Joined the Pilot Road 4 religion a couple weeks ago. They replaced my worn out Metzelers. It had been a while since I was on brand-new rubber - it was kind of disconcerting at first, with them being extra tippy for the first 50 miles or so. Within a couple miles from the shop I had to do a long highway sweeper and it was a bit scary. Now that they're scrubbed in, they just feel awesome. Highly recommended.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Sold my XS500 project for a couple $$$ profit so I can buy my brothers naked Goldwing and thus help him out financially with going back to school. Time to start reading up on GL1100's.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

McTinkerson posted:

Sold my XS500 project for a couple $$$ profit so I can buy my brothers naked Goldwing and thus help him out financially with going back to school. Time to start reading up on GL1100's.

From my limited experience and a friend's vast experience with GL1100 they are awesome, reliable, and fun to ride. But if you have engine issues, parts might be hard to get by (that is relevant to Israel though)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Early GLs are pretty common and have a good support base. So if you need minor things (carb rebuild kits) or big things (used engines) they're findable. Big stuff and you may be looking at a spare parts bike but they're cheap and plentiful.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I finally put some Leo Vince pipes on my FZ6. At speed it just sounds louder but at low rpms it really growls like an angry walrus.

I almost feel bad riding through my quiet neighborhood but on the other hand I can do throttle flirts like RoyalJordanian. :heysexy:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Added yet more to the amazing rats nest of wiring under my seat by installing this little black box:

Ignition tweaker? Tracker? Cloaking device? No, more awesome than all three of those things:

Yep, USB charger. Obviously still need to tidy up that install a bit (going to use a bunch of velcro straps, in fact a few too many so I have spares to secure whatever wire i plug into it), but drat what a useful thing.

tjones
May 13, 2005

makka-setan posted:

I finally put some Leo Vince pipes on my FZ6. At speed it just sounds louder but at low rpms it really growls like an angry walrus.

I'm jealous. I have been hopelessly trying to find an all carbon (love how they look) Leo Vince slip on for my R6 to mate with the older RS header. In my opinion they sound the best of the quieter cans. I love the open header motogp exhausts, but I want to preserve my hearing and not be an obnoxious rear end in a top hat to everyone around me within a 200 meter radius.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tjones posted:

I'm jealous. I have been hopelessly trying to find an all carbon (love how they look) Leo Vince slip on for my R6 to mate with the older RS header. In my opinion they sound the best of the quieter cans. I love the open header motogp exhausts, but I want to preserve my hearing and not be an obnoxious rear end in a top hat to everyone around me within a 200 meter radius.

Get earplugs. That way you'll preserve your hearing, and you'll be unable to hear any complaints.

tjones
May 13, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

Get earplugs. That way you'll preserve your hearing, and you'll be unable to hear any complaints.

I already wear plugs for any long jaunts on the interstate. From everything I've read and heard, the open header megaphone setups are loud enough that they are painful without plugs, and loud enough with them to be uncomfortable after long periods. I'm not sure if this is true, but I can imagine it is not far from it, even if exaggerated.

I've heard a handful in real life at a distance, and they are so insanely loud its baffling. It would be cool to have something that resembled the sound of the v8 F1s. This still is without consideration of not wanting to be downright loving obnoxious. Loud exhausts are one thing and I don't mind them at all, but somewhere before megaphones, I would have to draw the line.

Bugdrvr posted:

I like that I4 bikes are decently quiet even with drat near open exhaust until you get on them. If you have a loud can just putt around until you are clear of anyone you care about bothering, then crack a two gear minger.

I do a lot of interstate commuting, and anything north of 70 mph and my R6 starts to scream. Going to and from work, you are, the majority of the time, stuck in a congo line of traffic and will have some poor soul directly next to you. I would feel bad.

tjones fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 27, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I like that I4 bikes are decently quiet even with drat near open exhaust until you get on them. If you have a loud can just putt around until you are clear of anyone you care about bothering, then crack a two gear minger.

That said I did take the system off my old Suzuki since my parking spot was directly under my neighbors bedroom window and while he said it didn't bother him I still felt bad. That system was loud enough to make my ears ring at low RPM through town however.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I was actually surprised at how quiet the Leo Vinces are at higher rpms. Of course the wind noise drowns out some of the exhaust sounds at speed but cruising at 5k rpm and up sounds pretty much like stock.

Puttering about at 3k rpm, trying to be quiet, is another story. I guess the system resonates at lower revs, increasing the noise. Starting from standstill sounds like ear sex. Figuratively speaking.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

McTinkerson posted:

Sup soon-to-be-fellow-Goldwing owner? I just drove down to take a look at a 1978 GL1000 a good buddy of mine picked up for $500, he was going to clean it up and resell it for profit, but he's passing it on to me for what he paid for it. Other than being dirty and needing some cosmetic work (notably new side covers), the only major issues are that it needs new tires, the wiring is a rats nest of poorly bodged together hacks from the PO that I'll be tearing out and redoing much more cleanly, the clutch is starting to slip (he already has a new clutch kit included with it, ready to be installed), and the choke cable is frozen and will probably need replacing (and the carbs should probably be cleaned just as general principle). Once it's warmed up, it starts immediately and idles well, revs freely, pulls good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh0EKR0sAWI

The lovely K&Q seat and half-assed wannabe clipons are a disaster, but he's got the original seat, bars, and an extra set of low rise bars for it, so those'll go on there once I get it home and start tearing into it.

Post pics once you get it from your brother!

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Oil change, chain adjustment, went from a 14t front sprocket back to the stock 15. I'm on a roll~

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Last weekend, but changed the 8+ month old oil (that only had like 20 miles on it), topped off the coolant, swapped the stock dogbones in, washed and honda polished it. Only for the wind to pick up and scatter that sand-dust from winter all over the bike. :shepface:

Considering going up a tooth in the front sprocket to make highway riding a little less... intense sounding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Embrace the intensity, learn to love the little thud monster.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

More like rrrrreeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! monster :kimchi:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you ever come to your senses and move back to CA, you should take a spin on one of the small displacement (400cc or less) 4 cylinders that will probably be in my garage.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

If you ever come to your senses and move back to CA, you should take a spin on one of the small displacement (400cc or less) 4 cylinders that will probably be in my garage.

Don't believe him, the novelty wears off quickly and they have few redeeming qualities as a motorcycle.

In other news I'm trying to get my girlfriend to have a go on a bandit 400 so as to give me casus belli to get rid of her 250 Hyosung :v:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

If you somehow end up with a 250RR and don't let me buy it, I will slice you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

If you somehow end up with a 250RR and don't let me buy it, I will slice you.

not if I kill you first! :ese:

seriously something that sounds like a Formula 1 car when it's going like 40 miles an hour I imagine to be both awesomely cool and awesomely annoying.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I just bought a small displacement 4 cylinder. Another one. gently caress, I was trying to downsize but it's such a good deal...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Don't keep us in suspense :ohdear:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Sagebrush posted:

seriously something that sounds like a Formula 1 car when it's going like 40 miles an hour I imagine to be both awesomely cool and awesomely annoying.

The latter, especially if you're an arsehole like this guy and ride it around with only the headers on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlodhTxftk8&hd=1

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

I just bought a small displacement 4 cylinder. Another one. gently caress, I was trying to downsize but it's such a good deal...

As I said above... Cut you!

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just bought some new tires for the ninja, now I have to figure out how to get them over to the shop. Currently trying to come up with a way to strap them to the back so I don't have to wear them like an inner tube on the way over.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You should ask MK4 (?) about that. I think it worked pretty well.

For my money, I'd spend a few bucks on a taxi or a friend with a car.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tire hula hoops if you're skinny enough?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do you have a car? Cheaper to bring wheels and the new tires than it is to bring a bike in and have them remove the wheels for you. Sometimes even taking a taxi is cheaper, due to the lowered costs.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That's one of the options. I did a test ride around the block that way and found it very uncomfortable, so I just got someone with a car to bring it over to the shop for me while I rode there. You could probably swing the former if you're not as small as me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

hot sauce posted:

Just bought some new tires for the ninja, now I have to figure out how to get them over to the shop. Currently trying to come up with a way to strap them to the back so I don't have to wear them like an inner tube on the way over.

I just strap em to the triple tail. What, you don't have a triple tail?

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
No car, but I can probably find a friend with one who will drive them over for me. When I get home today I'm still going to try strapping them to something first.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Tried to ride the Honda in to work today, battery almost dead = no start. Oh well.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

In my continuing adventures of loving up basic maintenance I changed the oil in the drz last week. I realised after filling the bike up that I dropped the washer from the frame drain plug and put the bolt back in without it. Figured it'd be good enough and ignored it but found I was slowly leaking oil from around that plug. So I got to drain the oil, put a new washer on the bolt and refit it, then put the oil that I managed to catch in clean containers back into the bike. I then got to spend an hour scrubbing up all the oil I spilt all over the garage floor because I tried to use two 700ml containers to hold 1.7L of oil.

It's held for two days without leaking at all, so I think that actually worked.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

We've all lived that day. You'll get better with time.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Leaked oil = profit.

Refilling = reinvesting in a low market.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

My method is to pull the plug out quickly, slip your finger over the hole without leaking much. Put the washer on and then quickly switch finger for bolt.*

*What actually happens is I pull the bolt out and get a handful of oil as I shove my finger in the hole.
I then try to slip the washer over the bolt using one oily hand (that is if I haven't forgotten the washer over there, you know where I can't go because I have my finger over this hole holding in oil. Which is pretty hot and starting to burn).
Once getting the washer on the bolt I'll quickly remove my finger and stick the bolt in the hole. The threads won't catch of course and I'll keep turning it until it slips and goes flying off into a corner. Some oil will gush out, sure, but I stuck my finger in there pretty quickly so it's not too bad.
Now, how do I get the bolt that's three feet out of reach to my right back onto the washer that's under the other bike I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Swapped out my rearsets for some Danmoto ones I bought. They seemed solid to me but I don't have anything to compare them to other than my somewhat bent and poorly adjusted stock rearsets. I'm happy with them for what I paid, everything works and they feel solid, and I prefer the new position of the pegs to the stock position. Installation was lengthy but that's mostly because I'm still new to this whole working on bikes thing.

Went for a test ride afterwards to a comic store for free comic book day, was complimented on my awesome costume while I was waiting to check out with all my gear on. :shobon: