Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Get hosed, Belfry Luna, I finally got past you. Without phantoms, even! The gargoyles are weak to magic along with lightning, if anyone needs help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

ethanol posted:

play dark souls 1 for five minutes and then weep at the lighting in ds2
All I see is how much prettier and smoother it is.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Splurgerwitzl posted:

All I see is how much prettier and smoother it is.

It is but in the dungeons I find the lighting much better

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Kiggles posted:

Words about shields

Usually when I make mistakes I'm trying to turtle with a shield like I would in Dark Souls the first, I'm going to try two-handing for a bit at your suggestion.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
This is the first Souls game I'm going through blind and that's a blast so far. However, I need a tiny bit of information: Is there any way to shorten the time it takes to raise the shield? Google seems to imply Adaptability does nothing in that regard. My problem is there are enemies that - even if I hit them only once and immediately raise my shield - they seem to be able to get a counter in. Unless I stagger them of course. Am I just supposed to wait until they do a strong attack with a longer recovery?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

In the Bastille I've got the first 3 bonfires and I killed the Ruin Sentinels but I can't figure out where to go next. Also this is the only area I've found to progress in except I guess Belfry Luna, so what am I missing?

From the Bastille you can go to Sinner's Rise, which is kind of a standalone area with a boss in it that you really need to kill (Lost Sinner). If you kill the boss in Belfry Luna, you will get a key that makes the Lost Sinner fight easier by lighting up the arena.

It's kind of a dead end though, so you'll have to go back to Majula and find another place to go. If you haven't already, kill the Dragonrider boss in Heide. This will unlock a path to No Man's Wharf and a miracle merchant who can operate a mechanism that changes the path in Majula to a whole new set of areas. Killing the Lost Sinner will also give you an item that will un-petrify that lady blocking the other path, but that area is kind of a dead end until late game.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
Thanks man, you continue to be the best.

ethanol posted:

It is but in the dungeons I find the lighting much better
I totally agree but pre-release this thread was full of crying about how the lighting was going to ruin the game and now I'm full of resentment on the subject.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Cowcaster posted:

An entire lighting engine/additional lighting sources isn't something you can tweak just by editing an .ini file someplace. It's not likely someone's going to reverse engineer the game code, inject a lightning system built from scratch, and distribute it as a mod.

Yeah I don't really expect the old lighting system to be modded in. I was just wondering if the devs have released any kind of "sorry we done goofed, the old lighting system will be patched in later" kind of statements.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Splurgerwitzl posted:

Thanks man, you continue to be the best.

I totally agree but pre-release this thread was full of crying about how the lighting was going to ruin the game and now I'm full of resentment on the subject.

No problem, I actually just managed to finish the console version last night and I had a lot of moments of "Where the hell do I go now?" right up until the end.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

From the Bastille you can go to Sinner's Rise, which is kind of a standalone area with a boss in it that you really need to kill (Lost Sinner). If you kill the boss in Belfry Luna, you will get a key that makes the Lost Sinner fight easier by lighting up the arena.

It's kind of a dead end though, so you'll have to go back to Majula and find another place to go. If you haven't already, kill the Dragonrider boss in Heide. This will unlock a path to No Man's Wharf and a miracle merchant who can operate a mechanism that changes the path in Majula to a whole new set of areas. Killing the Lost Sinner will also give you an item that will un-petrify that lady blocking the other path, but that area is kind of a dead end until late game.

Can you expand on the "mechanism"? I've found the tower of flame but not the wharf, and I'm done with the bastille and belfry for now.

Also I'm about level 70, and can only use great soul arrow and homing soul arrow for sorceries. Should I use the soul vessel to respec early, or just wait until I get a pyromancy hand and see? I can't use any miracles or hexes (6 Faith). I mean I'm doing fine, but for a battlemage I kind of just use magic as ranged attacks instead of both equally like in DS1, but until recently that was due to lack of spells, and now it's due to lack of stats.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
What the, got summoned as a gray spirit and then the dude killed me, in the saints whatever thing. Thought for a sec that maybe that was the mirror knight thing.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Does anyone have ideas for decent stat allocation for a strength build? I've heard really, really mixed information on adaptability so I'm not sure if that's something I want to invest in, and so I've just been kinda doing my original Dark Souls plan of dumping points into strength, endurance, carry weight and health. If anything else is particularly useful I'd be glad to know.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Awwwww yeah, finally chumped that boss I was having trouble with.

I suggest everyone check out the area at the very bottom of the Majula pit whenever you can, it's IMO the best designed area in the game so far.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Can you expand on the "mechanism"? I've found the tower of flame but not the wharf, and I'm done with the bastille and belfry for now.

To get to the Wharf, you just go upstairs from the Dragonrider arena to that bonfire/the miracles lady up there. Then go across the bridge into the building next door, and down, down, down. At the very bottom of the building there will be a hole in the wall leading to a cave with a bonfire which leads to No Man's Wharf.

The "mechanism" is in the center of the first room of the building you originally entered to get on the path to Heide. The miracle lady will move there once you exhaust her dialogue. Pay her 2000 souls (I think?) and she'll operate it, which moves the path for you.

If you're going to be using magic a lot, I'd recommend investing some in faith yes. Lightning spears and hexes are very useful against late game enemies/bosses. Certain hexes are CRAZY powerful. The high level sorceries are good too, but they usually have very few casts even with equipment buffs and take a huge INT investment.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 26, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

To get to the Wharf, you just go upstairs from the Dragonrider arena to that bonfire/the miracles lady up there. Then go across the bridge into the building next door, and down, down, down. At the very bottom of the building there will be a hole in the wall leading to a cave with a bonfire which leads to No Man's Wharf.

The "mechanism" is in the center of the first room of the building you originally entered to get on the path to Heide. The miracle lady will move there once you exhaust her dialogue. Pay her 2000 souls (I think?) and she'll operate it, which moves the path for you.

Oh ok, thanks, I stopped just short of it then.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh ok, thanks, I stopped just short of it then.

Yeah if you're into sorceries, the Wharf is good because there's a merchant down there who specializes in magic. Not Gavlan. :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

Yeah if you're into sorceries, the Wharf is good because there's a merchant down there who specializes in magic. Not Gavlan. :v:

Cool, I'll keep an eye open. Last, unrelated, question: If I've never been to belfry sol, and joined the bell keepers in luna, can I still get summoned there later? I may just switch back to that covenant early.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

Turns out that all you need to activate the pre-order weapons is a text file. :v:

It's in the /DLC/License folder, named license05.bin. If you open it up the contents are just "DLC06 DARK SOULS II Sales gimmick". I get the feeling someone didn't appreciate a marketing department forcing them to have a pre-order.

That is amazing. :allears:

Makes you wonder if the weapons looking/being lovely is also on purpose.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

That is amazing. :allears:

Makes you wonder if the weapons looking/being lovely is also on purpose.

I love how most of the pre-order shields are all more or less "this is a shield with some stupid bullshit on it which makes it kind of lovely to use as a shield but I guess you could".

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Made a new character called Blue Man Group. Made him all blue and plan to do a dual caestus strongman run. Put down a small white sign and got summoned then the 3 of us managed to kill the pursuer and I accidentally killed the host with the fire bomb shortcut. Whoops!

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Cool, I'll keep an eye open. Last, unrelated, question: If I've never been to belfry sol, and joined the bell keepers in luna, can I still get summoned there later? I may just switch back to that covenant early.

Yeah, he's kind of hard to see. I ran past him several times before I thought "Hey I wonder where this other path goes."

I'm not sure about the covenant stuff. I've heard mixed answers on it, some saying you have to be nearby to be summoned and others saying you don't. I never really did bellbros myself.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

GreatGreen posted:

I'm sorry I've committed the cardinal sin of suggesting your new favorite game might not be the absolute perfect apex of human entertainment, but it was an honest and sincere question about an issue that lots of people find important.

tl;dr - no u shut the hell up

You sounded like a retarded twat when you called the game a massive bait and switch, and if that's your idea of sincere then you need more practice asking questions. OK I guess. It happens for games in development all the time.
Everyone's enjoying the game for what it is while holdouts like you continue to bitch about it. With sweetfx or durante's addon, you can replicate a similar look.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

What the, got summoned as a gray spirit and then the dude killed me, in the saints whatever thing. Thought for a sec that maybe that was the mirror knight thing.

It BEGINS!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Why the gently caress is there a crossbow-rigged chest right next to Gavlan in Dead Man's Wharf?

I know why :(

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Cheston posted:

Why the gently caress is there a crossbow-rigged chest right next to Gavlan in Dead Man's Wharf?

I know why :(

Honestly I think it's kind of weird that he's just chilling in that house. I got there (pretty much half-dead) and he's just chugging his beer like nothing. Then his second location in the loving POISON CAVE.

Lionguild
Sep 5, 2013
I missed dark souls pvp.

The amusement of watching people die to monsters before you even reach them. The triumph of winning a 2v1 and the satisfaction of lightning spearing someone's backside as they try to sprint away from you to heal.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Replaying this on PC reminds me how much I hated certain areas. The run from the bonfire to Chariot is a pain, and so is the Chariot fight.

I rolled a wizard dude so I could use spells but I can't use spells because if I do I won't have any for the boss fight.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Overbite posted:

Replaying this on PC reminds me how much I hated certain areas. The run from the bonfire to Chariot is a pain, and so is the Chariot fight.

I rolled a wizard dude so I could use spells but I can't use spells because if I do I won't have any for the boss fight.

I've been playing wizard dude from the beginning, and aside from a brief stint before I found the magic merchant and had to swing a mace for a bit, I haven't used a weapon since (except for one specific enemy who is a complete rear end in a top hat and resists all types of magic but is super vulnerable to backstabs).

Remember that there are both consumable items that restore spell uses, and that doing coop restores uses. It's not much help for that fight though; that fight is a nightmare for a caster. I beat it only by summoning a sunbro with a giant axe who cleaved through everything for me while I helped out on certain key enemies.

Edit: I do have 5 or 6 attunement slots, which helps a lot in terms of having enough spells. I also have hexes, and supplement my casting with those quite frequently.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Overbite posted:

Here's how I played my magic user: Enough Str/Dex to wield the Fire Longsword. This will hurt a decent amount of dudes. Alternatively, just use a mace and never look back. Attune 1 or 2 high count spells (Soul arrow, dark orb, greater soul arrow) to take out annoynaces or risky engagements. Lightning spear for things you Want loving Dead. Maybe take heal or a magic weapon variant too.

This is, of course, an INT/FTH hybrid.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Notice trap and ambush, take care of ambush, leave soapstone warning of ambush and trap, immediately forget about trap, receive free express delivered arrows.

I R SMRAT PLAYER.

Overbite posted:

Pump up your attunement, buy second set of soul arrows.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Overbite posted:

Use the Yearn spell for the skeletons. They'll be so distracted that you can kill the necromancers and the chariot will probably kill them. By that point I had put some into faith, so I just lightning speared the horse to death. Lightning spears and hexes are the best for wizard dudes, level faith and GET THEM.

For the spell cast problem, your options are pretty much keep killing the guys before the gate until they stop spawning or use items that restore spell uses (amber herbs, twilight herbs, rouge water, crimson water, etc.). You can also hot key those items for quicker use in a fight.

Edit Or that too. Eqipping multiples of the same spell will double your casts while also eating an attunement slot. There's also a hood you can get that will raise your number of casts, if you have the right stats and talk to the dude at the beginning of Huntsman's Copse.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 26, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

Honestly I think it's kind of weird that he's just chilling in that house. I got there (pretty much half-dead) and he's just chugging his beer like nothing. Then his second location in the loving POISON CAVE.

Doesn't he stack a bunch of anti-poison stuff, eventually in infinite quantities? Dude probably grows weird stuff on his beard from all the not-showering he must be doing, harvests those and mixes up some vile poo poo.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Kimmalah posted:

Use the Yearn spell for the skeletons. They'll be so distracted that you can kill the necromancers and the chariot will probably kill them. By that point I had put some into faith, so I just lightning speared the horse to death. Lightning spears and hexes are the best for wizard dudes, level faith and GET THEM.

For the spell cast problem, your options are pretty much keep killing the guys before the gate until they stop spawning or use items that restore spell uses (amber herbs, twilight herbs, rouge water, crimson water, etc.). You can also hot key those items for quicker use in a fight.

Where do I get this spear? I don't remember seeing it on a merchant.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Overbite posted:

Where do I get this spear? I don't remember seeing it on a merchant.

Lightning spear is a miracle, not a sorcery so you'll need to level faith and get a chime for it. The miracle merchant (Licia) is in Heide, then moves to Majula - down in the building you use to get to Heide.

Yearn is sold by Carhillion, the sorcery merchant. It seriously saved my rear end in that fight (and many others).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is it normal for lucatiel's summon sign to not show up?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hahahaha the channeler's trident is back. I don't have the stats to use it though; just enough to use the fire longsword (which is getting a little boring). I bought a couple caestus and dagger dual wielding was fun if ineffective though.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I almost ended up killing Cale. After avoiding the rolling boulder I saw a targetable dude at the top of the hill and just ran up and hit him like three times. And he somehow still remained friendly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
PvP is just as wonky as ever it seems. Fought some more guys in the rat covenant and the hit detection was terribly spotty. Maybe its because I'm using Pate's Spear, which as far as i can tell is the longest thrusting weapon in the whole game, but it seems like sometimes I'd hit a guy and it would do nothing. Then I'd roll away from his attack and take damage from it mid roll during my i frames.

Can some console guys tell me how much I need to worry about the Soul Memory system? I've been kind of hesitant on spending my souls on anything that doesn't contribute to direct progress, such as consumables. I don't want to buy a bunch of useless poo poo just for fun if its going to put me at a huge level deficit compared to the people I'm matched with.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

PvP is just as wonky as ever it seems. Fought some more guys in the rat covenant and the hit detection was terribly spotty. Maybe its because I'm using Pate's Spear, which as far as i can tell is the longest thrusting weapon in the whole game, but it seems like sometimes I'd hit a guy and it would do nothing. Then I'd roll away from his attack and take damage from it mid roll during my i frames.

I don't know if they ever patched it, but there was a sword that could basically stab people from all the way across a room in PVP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vittles for the chitlins
Nov 4, 2010

Haaaaaaaaaay~

KoldPT posted:

Any tips for The Rotten?

Its grab attack is murdering me and I don't see any way to do a lot of damage between its strikes.

This boss gave me trouble too, here's what worked for me as a melee character

bait him into attacking and you can back roll all his attacks, at the end of his attack run up and slice his cleaver arm a few times, it'll fall off. Afterwards he becomes a joke til he regrows it. If he curls into himself then if you played dark souls 1 you know what's going to happen. Rinse and repeat while avoiding fire pits and you win

Hope this helps!