Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

WYA posted:

Should I use my XBox controller, or is KB + mouse fine?

X-box controller.

Making KB+M work is doable, but tedious and ultimately rather janky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Oh god the thunder sound from the Looking Glass Knight's lightning attack does not obey volume settings

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Noxville posted:

My highest rated on PC so far is one outside the Huntsman Copse boss saying 'skeleton ahead and then skeleton ahead', which is pretty accurate too.

Mine's in Huntsman's Copse too. I think the most memorable for me though was something like "Rear ahead" in Heide, right next to some corpse that was slung over a rail with its rear end in the air. I'm a child. :v:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Oh god the thunder sound from the Looking Glass Knight's lightning attack does not obey volume settings

Hahah yeah that scared the poo poo out of me the first time it happened.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

A Rabid Llama posted:

Apologies if you already realize this, but you do know that you have to talk to the lady in the green hood and cape to level up, right? Like, until you get a menu option to level up - the "by the power of the emerald herald" message isn't it. The first level up only costs ~800 souls.

I only ask because it's incredibly stupid that the game doesn't lead you to that more directly, especially for a "more accessible" game :(

Good point, I think a lot of people are still looking for that option at the bonfires. You can also see how many souls it will take to level up by going into the "Player Status" menu.

Damegane
May 7, 2013
The (equipment spoiler)Golden Falcon Shield's description makes me think that it used to belong a merc from the Dark Souls universe's version of Berserk's Band of the Hawk.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So, what IS the recommended PvP level now? I feel like I'm at the half-way point and I'm already at level 60+, I'll easily be over 100 when I'm close to the end. The OP says 150 is a lie but what is it actually?

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 26, 2014

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
I've managed to miss the White Soapstone on all 3 of my games

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
:arrgh: loving Belfry Gargoyles

On the other hand I might've overleveled so hard because going to Heide's, I found the Dragonrider and Dragonslayer super easy.

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
Has anyone else yet run into a graphical issue of shaders or something turning purple at certain distances / angles?

http://i.imgur.com/GdoupUO.jpg

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So how much is too much to upgrade a weapon you're not planning to take to the end of the game? I know that titanite chunks can be plentiful later, but how about titanite shards/large titanite shards?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

truther posted:

I've managed to miss the White Soapstone on all 3 of my games

Small one or regular one?

Sober posted:

:arrgh: loving Belfry Gargoyles

On the other hand I might've overleveled so hard because going to Heide's, I found the Dragonrider and Dragonslayer super easy.

I thought the Dragonrider was pretty easy and Dragonslayer probably would have been too if I could have blocked/dodged worth a drat when I got there.

As for the the Gargoyles, they are weak to lightning and (I think) magic in general. My only other advice is to kill them quickly because the new ones spawn as their health hits certain points and it's easy to be overwhelmed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cowcaster posted:

So how much is too much to upgrade a weapon you're not planning to take to the end of the game? I know that titanite chunks can be plentiful later, but how about titanite shards/large titanite shards?

Finish the Iron Keep and you'll get infinite shards for 800 souls/each. Give McDuff the Dull Ember and you'll not only unlock infusions but get infinite large shards for 2K souls/each.

So...not at all expensive.

Jisei
Dec 22, 2004

A tiny bundle of supressed instincts held together by spit and caffeine.

dis astranagant posted:

Get powerstance for your maces first. That's 18 str. The L1,L2 combo with powerstance maces is just absurd.

My whole game changed after this. I was getting by in the game but struggling, then decided to powerstance two maces with the Stone Ring and now I'm buying everyone lunch at the International House of Pancakes. With +10 maces the damage output and Poise breakage are insane for comparatively little investment.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Nahrix posted:

Has anyone else yet run into a graphical issue of shaders or something turning purple at certain distances / angles?

http://i.imgur.com/GdoupUO.jpg

That looks like your card didn't load a texture correctly or it's overheating a bit and corrupting textures.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Hanging out in Belfry Sol I've encountered two hackers already. One was using a speed hack, which was goofy because he was just flying around, zooming all over the place. The other I'm not totally sure was hacking. He was just standing perfectly still. I walked up to him, tried waving, and then I threw a "I'm sorry" stone in his face to get his attention. Finally I stabbed him in the back. No damage. Then he goes flying off in one direction and a ton of spells hit me, but then his backstab animation plays. I managed to beat him with just 1hp left. I'm not sure if he was hacking or if it was just crazy lag or something.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

In the Lost Bastille, there is a Blacksmith that sells infinite large titanite. You can get him by blowing up the wall with the S-Shape hole, push the explosive barrel down (blow it up with fire if it doesn't detonate), light the torch in the room, then re-load the area.

Infinite shards become available once you clear the Iron Keep, but it's not a big deal since you can pretty much kill everything with +3~6 stuff just fine until then.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The second thing there was lag mafia. Crazy lag. It happened on console too from time to time. Basically the game queues up all of the actions at once that someone did.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kimmalah posted:

If you level both faith and intelligence you can use hexes, which are some of the most powerful things I've run into as a caster. And late in the game, lightning miracles have been a lot more useful/damaging for me than sorcery (which 30 FTH is more than enough to get). You might also consider putting some into attunement so you can equip more spells/miracles/hexes at once - it will also slightly raise your agility too, which is very helpful. Basically leveling both INT/FTH will give you access to more stuff, so if you like variety that's probably the way to go.

Sounds like the Hex route will be the way to go then! I'm not too fussed about offensive stuff, but the utility things and weapon buffs would be getting a lot of use.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

In the Lost Bastille, there is a Blacksmith that sells infinite large titanite. You can get him by blowing up the wall with the S-Shape hole, push the explosive barrel down (blow it up with fire if it doesn't detonate), light the torch in the room, then re-load the area.

Infinite shards become available once you clear the Iron Keep, but it's not a big deal since you can pretty much kill everything with +3~6 stuff just fine until then.

You can also unlock the door with a key you get after the Belfry Luna boss. It's a pain in the rear end, but I highly recommend getting it since it's super helpful for another boss and unlocks some treasure.

poptart_fairy posted:

Sounds like the Hex route will be the way to go then! I'm not too fussed about offensive stuff, but the utility things and weapon buffs would be getting a lot of use.

Really I've only found one or two hexes that are super powerful combined with the right infused chime (like a magical nuclear option). I save it for bosses because it eats up souls. If you're just looking for weapon buffs and utility, that's more of a sorcery thing. But I didn't have problems using most of them at 30 INT.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 26, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm going to have to mess around with the caestus more! I went back to the belfry to get my hidden weapon spell from the covenant, and got double-invaded. So I back up to the bridge, and the power stance heavy attack knocks one off instantly. The other gets clever, and backs up to the door. It's a standoff. After a few rounds of warcries and waving later, I decide to pull out the staff and shoot a few soul arrows, getting him to back up. After a bit of a skirmish, he retreats to the upper level. I pull out the fire longsword and drangleic shield, and fight off the shadow dwarves (:haw:) and we meet again. He gets the drop on me, literally, but I manage to put up my shield in time. Ultimately, I repel him, and he falls through a hole in the floor, killing himself. Victory is mine.

When PVP works in this game, it works.

quote:

You can also unlock the door with a key you get after the Belfry Luna boss. It's a pain in the rear end, but I highly recommend getting it since it's super helpful for another boss and unlocks some treasure.

That boss is super easy no matter what you do.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

poptart_fairy posted:

For reference, Hexes also work really, really well with fire damage. Fire's bonus is based off of Int + Faith, while Dark's bonus is based off of whichever is lowest of faith or int so you'll end up leveling both. Meaning as a Hex player you also gain the utility of being able to swap really nicely between two sets of elemental weapons.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

That boss is super easy no matter what you do.

The key lets you light up the arena though, which helps with targeting. I've heard you can do it with a torch, but then you've tied up a hand for the whole fight.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
In the OP there's a tip: #5 Even if you're going dex, get your str to at least 12 for the 100% physical damage reduction shield you get after killing Pursuer. You can respec once you get the Defender's Shield and bring it down to 12 later.

What's this about? I didn't get any shield after defeating him.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Finally bothered to try some of the online play, I've solo'd so far but laid down some white signs. MUCH smoother than DkS1. I'm not sure what triggers you completing you goal though. Is it HP damage done? Are mobs worth invisible goal points or something?

Also I finally got enough points in faith to have some miracles worth poo poo that wasn't a healing cast. Now My cleric feels like something more than "fat underarmoured fighter"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sex Robot posted:

Finally bothered to try some of the online play, I've solo'd so far but laid down some white signs. MUCH smoother than DkS1. I'm not sure what triggers you completing you goal though. Is it HP damage done? Are mobs worth invisible goal points or something?

It's either you meet a time limit or obtain a certain amount of souls, whichever comes first for the small stone, kill the boss for the large one.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The weird bleeding enemies in No Man's Wharf are awful. Bleed procced in two hits through block, which takes off 80% of my health and reduces me to a shamble.

edit: Apparently they get stunned by torchlight

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 26, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

PirateBob posted:

In the OP there's a tip: #5 Even if you're going dex, get your str to at least 12 for the 100% physical damage reduction shield you get after killing Pursuer. You can respec once you get the Defender's Shield and bring it down to 12 later.

The Defender's Shield is something you get for trading a late-game boss soul with a certain weapon maker you have to find. Not from killing the Pursuer. The 100% shield after the Pursuer is the Drangleic shield, which you get out of chest by jumping down the ledges in the area after his fight.

Elysiume posted:

The weird bleeding enemies in No Man's Wharf are awful. Bleed procced in two hits through block, which takes off 80% of my health and reduces me to a shamble.

Carry a torch or use the Pharros contraption. They're afraid of light, which will keep them contained and give you somewhere safe to back off to if they get too overwhelming.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kimmalah posted:

The Defender's Shield is something you get for trading a late-game boss soul with a certain weapon maker you have to find. Not from killing the Pursuer.

No, they're talking about the Drangleic set you find near the boss room if you look hard enough.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Oh poo poo I just nailed the host in one shot on Pursuers with the ballista!

I am a bad white phantom. :(

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So I've reached the end of No Man's Wharf and...nothing. I know the ship's supposed to show up (white phantom'd a bit) but I appear to have missed the trigger.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

PirateBob posted:

Look down the holes

NGDBSS posted:

So I've reached the end of No Man's Wharf and...nothing. I know the ship's supposed to show up (white phantom'd a bit) but I appear to have missed the trigger.

Ring the bell, its just past Gavlan if I remember right

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

No, they're talking about the Drangleic set you find near the boss room if you look hard enough.

Yeah I know, he just specifically mentioned the Defender's Shield which is what I was talking about.

NGDBSS posted:

There's a bell near the end of the area. Ring it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

NGDBSS posted:

There's a couple switches on the higher buildings.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's either you meet a time limit or obtain a certain amount of souls, whichever comes first for the small stone, kill the boss for the large one.

See I thought that. But I got goal achieved pre-boss with a large sign too which i wasn't expecting. So I guess even the large sign has a limit too

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

From a couple pages back, but: For the Executioner's Chariot, you can roll past the wheel spikes. Do this and there's no need to rely on the alcoves. As long as you're quick with the roll when you see the big fiery glow rounding the corner, you can pick the mages off without too much fuss, with less risk of getting boxed in by skellies.

Kimmalah posted:

As for the the Gargoyles, they are weak to lightning and (I think) magic in general. My only other advice is to kill them quickly because the new ones spawn as their health hits certain points and it's easy to be overwhelmed.

A good 'safe' strategy for them is to pick a single one to focus your attacks on. The thing about their health is correct, but as long as you stay intent on damaging only one, you will never have to face more than three. They don't have any sudden, fast sweeping attacks the way that the Ruin Sentinels do, so as long as you keep them all in your sights, it's not a hard fight to keep under control. It is, however, a somewhat long one if you don't have magic. Stay patient and keep moving and you ought to do fine.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wow the hit detection on soul arrow is loving awful. I clearly dodge it and then take damage from it anyways. Looks like sorcery is going to ruin PvP again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Yesss, power stance Caestuseses. I am so goddamned manly right now. :black101:

probably not very effective though, compared to that fire sword

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RBA Starblade posted:

This part confuses me, actually.

Won't that make shades useless in NG+ with its elevated soul counts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Yesss, power stance Caestuseses. I am so goddamned manly right now. :black101:

probably not very effective though, compared to that fire sword

No actually it's really effective all the way through the game!

Just pump strength and keep upgrading them.