Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The startup time's the main thing, so I suppose what I'm asking is which other droids have near instant camera start times, in case this isn't something they can fix (looks online as though it isn't).

Also is the One's camera still as good?

Galaxy S5. Don't get the new One, apparently the camera is super, super bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Figured this would be worth posting in here. Google is showing off a new feature of their camera app:

Adjustable DOF.

It works by moving the camera in a sweeping motion so that it can collect depth information. Then it uses that data to apply a lens blur effect over different parts of the image.

Of course it works well with the example photos they've provided. I guess it would obviously only work for stationary subjects.

http://googleresearch.blogspot.ca/2014/04/lens-blur-in-new-google-camera-app.html

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 16, 2014

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BANME.sh posted:

Figured this would be worth posting in here. Google is showing off a new feature of their camera app:

Adjustable DOF.

It works by moving the camera in a sweeping motion so that it can collect depth information. Then it uses that data to apply a lens blur effect over different parts of the image.

Of course it works well with the example photos they've provided. I guess it would obviously only work for stationary subjects.

http://googleresearch.blogspot.ca/2014/04/lens-blur-in-new-google-camera-app.html
Interesting. GigaOM did a short article on it and there is a bit of a catch that confirms it would only work for stationary objects and might be difficult for selfies:

quote:

And taking a picture in Lens Blur mode is a multistep process. First you take a normal picture, keeping your subject centered. Then Google Camera instructs you to raise your phone or tablet while still keeping your subject in the center; likely for additional depth information. After that when looking at the result, you’ll need to wait a few seconds for image processing; this took about 10 seconds on my phone. Finally, you can then drag a slider to add or remove blur to your photo, even choosing your own focal point. Here’s a quick example from my Moto X:

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
But the best thing about cameras with small sensors is the extreme depth of field. Embrace it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOcjMDSEfXY

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
In a similar vein, the Flickr app just updated on android and iOS, and added auto-backup for photos:

http://blog.flickr.net/en/2014/04/17/introducing-flickr-3-0-for-iphone-and-android/

Still no live filters for Android but the filters are idiot piss garbage anyway.

At least the app itself looks better now.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

h-h-h-hdr mode

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 26, 2014

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Arlington National Cemetery

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

photo 4
by LargeHadron, on Flickr

photo 2

photo 1

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Welp.

2014-05-03 02.08.54 2 by Geektox, on Flickr

Others:

2014-04-24 03.50.54 1 by Geektox, on Flickr

2014-04-29 08.09.58 1 by Geektox, on Flickr

2014-05-05 07.54.57 2 by Geektox, on Flickr

2014-04-25 08.46.57 1 by Geektox, on Flickr

Geektox fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 8, 2014

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

I forgot what thread I'm in and almost asked you what camera body you use. Jesus those are sharp.

Charlie Bubblegum
Feb 28, 2004

a charlie come a charlie come a bubble gum

http://www.instagram.com/turnerbradley

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Love your stuff, saw that first one this morning, very cool!

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Brother that's pretty hip

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

photo 3

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

2014-05-13 08.41.44 4 by Geektox, on Flickr

2014-05-14 06.28.07 3 by Geektox, on Flickr

2014-05-13 08.35.35 5 by Geektox, on Flickr

2014-05-13 08.38.43 1 by Geektox, on Flickr

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
^^ Dog photo rules.

Can't remember if I've asked this question before or not: are there any iphone camera apps that let you lock the focus and exposure? The iphone has a bitch of a time focusing on anything small, like a spiderweb or the tip of your finger, and it underexposes like a mofo if you try to shoot something against a bright background. This took around ten tries, always either too dark or focusing on the leaves in the background:

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Crosspost from the landscape thread.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
"gently caress it."

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

RangerScum posted:

"gently caress it."

lol

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

jackpot posted:

^^ Dog photo rules.

Can't remember if I've asked this question before or not: are there any iphone camera apps that let you lock the focus and exposure? The iphone has a bitch of a time focusing on anything small, like a spiderweb or the tip of your finger, and it underexposes like a mofo if you try to shoot something against a bright background. This took around ten tries, always either too dark or focusing on the leaves in the background:

I don't own an iOS device, but from what I remember, the actual camera portion of VSCO lets you do this? You have to put 2 fingers on the screen at once, and it will give you two points to work with, I believe.

RangerScum posted:

"gently caress it."

Haha

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
lunch by bgibb187, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Bacon Rillettes by Ashade76, on Flickr

Made a Bacon Bourbon Rillettes with pickled grapes and pickled onions, served with herbed chevre.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Geektox posted:

I don't own an iOS device, but from what I remember, the actual camera portion of VSCO lets you do this? You have to put 2 fingers on the screen at once, and it will give you two points to work with, I believe.
Haha, goddamnit. I've had VSCO on my phone for like two years now, used it maybe twice, and didn't know that yes, it does exactly what I want. You won't believe how many shots I've taken where I aim first at a shadow to slow my shutter speed, then quickly aim it at what I want to shoot, hoping to get the shot off before the camera can re-expose. And with VSCO it's like "Yeah, just doubletap here and your exposure's locked. Then you doubletap here, and your focus is locked."

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Just got back from a London/Paris trip and had some iPhone 5S shots to share.

All Aboard by maritimexpat, on Flickr

Invalid Moat by maritimexpat, on Flickr

Dome Dome-Dome-Dome by maritimexpat, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Taken while going home from work

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

Just got back from a London/Paris trip and had some iPhone 5S shots to share.

All Aboard by maritimexpat, on Flickr
Damnit, man, this is great but would it have killed you to take two steps to the left? You're killin' me here.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

pothole, 2014.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

jackpot posted:

Damnit, man, this is great but would it have killed you to take two steps to the left? You're killin' me here.
I know, I know, it killed me too when I was doing my straightening/cropping. It was taken just before I was told "no photos allowed" (even if I wasn't using flash) so I only got the one shot. I was just doing it quick to see if it was worth going at it with my S110 but welp.

It was basically the one place I found in Paris where there wasn't a fuckoff obvious line on the ground that indicated the center point.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ansel autisms posted:

pothole, 2014.

butthole, 2014

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Musket posted:

butthole, 2014

Puuuuuugggggggg :3:

Anyway, good news for Android users: Afterlight, one of the nicest photo apps for iOS, is coming to Android "sometime in 2014". It's one of my favorites (along with VSCOcam) so I'm super excited. :dance:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Alviso Marina County Park by khyrre, on Flickr

I got fed up with my Verizon Galaxy Nexus running like poo poo on Jelly Bean, so I flashed it to Kit Kat with an unofficial ROM. I went to redownload my VSCO Cam presets, and the Levi's pack is gone now. And since it was free, it wasn't part of my restored purchases. :negative:

Edit: Good to know that they still haven't fixed the hosed up EXIF data on the Android app. Hmm, yes, my three-year-old phone has a f/0.19 aperture and can shoot at 12800 ISO :shepface:

bocevus
Sep 11, 2002

Got a big enough joint there Rick?
Restaurant lighting. by tacobonito, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

photo 1

photo 2

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
WP_20140528_19_37_15_Smart by vexborg, on Flickr

WP_20140525_001 by vexborg, on Flickr

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

hands

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The lens blur thing in the new Android KitKat camera is pretty nifty.

Louis' by khyrre, on Flickr

Elizabeth F. Gamble Garden by khyrre, on Flickr

These were taken with my Galaxy Nexus (a three-year-old phone at this point), but the artificial depth of field and the filmic VSCO filters make it look passable--in my humble opinion, anyway. Lens blur isn't perfect, though: you can see in the second shot that the background underneath the bottom flower is kinda messed up.

Looking at it again, I should have eased up on the filters on the second image, although it's kinda hard to eyeball the processing on a little phone screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

2014-05-18 06.23.11 1 by Geektox, on Flickr

2014-06-03 08.19.12 1 by Geektox, on Flickr

2014-05-22 07.41.43 1 by Geektox, on Flickr