Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there any way to reset my spells so I can equip some of these multislot ones?

Ciaphas posted:

Yesss, power stance Caestuseses. I am so goddamned manly right now. :black101:

probably not very effective though, compared to that fire sword

They're pretty drat nice if you have lots of str/dex and don't mind the lack of range. Scaling doesn't seem to be based off base damage any more so you won't be far behind the club guys per hit.

Speaking of fisticuffs, I saw mention of some rings that buff punching. How big is the bonus and does it count punching weapons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where can I get a normal pyromancy flame? I found one in the Gutters but its weaker if you aren't hollowed, so I don't want to waste souls upgrading it.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Where can I get a normal pyromancy flame? I found one in the Gutters but its weaker if you aren't hollowed, so I don't want to waste souls upgrading it.

Its on the boat in No Mans wharf, up the ladder after you beat the boss.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Will a dualshock 4 work with DS2? I downloaded that driver, and windows will recognize the device, but nothing happens when I run the game. Help?

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
The filter on other characters names is bringing back memories of Age of Wushu. Anyways, I beat the **rse boss after stubbornly banging my head against it, only to discover it is 100% optional. I guess that explains all the red soapstone signs near that bonfire.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Anyone sitting on an unusual character build they've enjoyed? I've tried most of the most common stuff talked about in the thread, but I want to start another character to keep pace with a friend so we can co-op together.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Thanks for the reply earlier whoever did, thread moves too fast for me to find and quote, but thanks anyway (about parrying).

I love love love how when I put a summon sign down I get summoned within 5 seconds every time. I've killed the first boss a few times now before even reaching it in my game. What I don't love, however, is the fact that every single summon sign I click on in my world results in a message saying it failed because the sign disappeared. What's with that? Am I unlucky or is there some sort of network issue with the game/my router or firewall settings causing me to be unable to summon help. It isn't affecting my ability to go help others though, which is good.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Donald Duck posted:

Its on the boat in No Mans wharf, up the ladder after you beat the boss.

Seriously.

I just loving went back there to talk to the wizard since I thought he might teach me stuff now that I have an attunement slot. He wouldn't so I left.

Crap.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

dis astranagant posted:

Is there any way to reset my spells so I can equip some of these multislot ones?

Rest at a bonfire, go down to "Attune spells," then highlight whatever you want to remove and take it out. It's the same button as removing equipment from a slot, so X on a 360 controller (unless that got changed in the PC version). Then just highlight a slot, hit the "use" button and select whatever spell you'd rather attune. The two slot spells will stay grayed out until you empty two slots.

Internet Kraken posted:

Seriously.

I just loving went back there to talk to the wizard since I thought he might teach me stuff now that I have an attunement slot. He wouldn't so I left.

Crap.

You buy spells in order to learn them, he doesn't "teach" anything. The pyromancy flame is easy to miss, but even if you've taken the boat to the Bastille, you can still get it.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 26, 2014

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Seriously.

Crap.

You'll also need to ring the bell to bring it back form the bastille.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Kimmalah posted:

The Defender's Shield is something you get for trading a late-game boss soul with a certain weapon maker you have to find. Not from killing the Pursuer. The 100% shield after the Pursuer is the Drangleic shield, which you get out of chest by jumping down the ledges in the area after his fight.

Whoa. Went back to get it now. A whole set. Wish I'd known about that before buying and upgrading the Elite Knight armor.

It's pretty drat heavy though. Puts me way above 70% encumberment. What's more important, generally, having lots of armor, or being able to roll quickly? :confused:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Donald Duck posted:

You'll also need to ring the bell to bring it back form the bastille.

No you don't. You can just get back on the boat from where it's parked at the Bastille. That's what I did because I missed the flame before I sailed.

PirateBob posted:

Whoa. Went back to get it now. A whole set. Wish I'd known about that before buying and upgrading the Elite Knight armor.

It's pretty drat heavy though. Puts me way above 70% encumberment. What's more important, generally, having lots of armor, or being able to roll quickly? :confused:

The Elite Knight Armor is perfectly viable for quite a while in the game. I just put on the Drangleic gauntlets and boots with it. The shield is heavy too.

I personally think rolling fast is more important, but I was playing a sorceror where keeping distance is key. There's also a ring you can get that will reduce the weight of armor so you can wear heavier stuff without doing the fatroll.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

PirateBob posted:

Probably depends entirely on how you play, but I like to stay below 70. You don't have to wear the whole set anyway.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Cactus posted:

I love love love how when I put a summon sign down I get summoned within 5 seconds every time.

What I don't love, however, is the fact that every single summon sign I click on in my world results in a message saying it failed because the sign disappeared.

These two things happen to be related!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

PirateBob posted:

Both are good, but I'd stick to 70% or below equip load so you don't fatroll.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Seriously.

Crap.

you need a minimum INT to access the wizard's wares.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PirateBob posted:

It depends on your playstyle, but generally heavier armour and shields is better if you're new since its more forgiving than light stuff.

I've been going through this game pretty lightly equipped. I have a shield but I usually don't even use and just dodge most enemies. Blocking isn't as strong as it was in Dark Souls, but it also isn't as necessary. Against almost every boss I've seen so far its better to dodge than try to block.

YOSPOS King
Apr 14, 2014

by XyloJW
WHITE RING INVASIONS> BYE

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Machai posted:

you need a minimum INT to access the wizard's wares.

Whoops, I forgot about that since I started with such a high INT. That's probably the problem.

For the equip load guy, there's a hidden room in No Man's Wharf. Blow up the wall with a firebomb and you'll get a ring that makes heavy armor much lighter.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

What do you guys reckon I should level? Kind of want to get STR to 45 (50?) so I can use everything that depends on it, but I also want equip load :v:

Also, is faith worth leveling and, if so, to what range? I like having Lightning Spear around, and am also packing an Emit Force which is hilarious in PVP, but all the miracles I've looked at need super high faith investments (like 40s).

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Rat covenant's first area is pretty unfair but I still managed to die quite a few times, but the second area is outright absurd. Only times people have been able to even lay a hand on me is when I decide to abstain from throwing lightning bolts at them while a mob of angry monsters beat on them.

If any goons were amongst the 50 some people I threw lightning bolts at, I'm not sorry.

There was one greastsword wielding guy with the name Solaire who I killed once in the Bell Tower, at Saints, and at Pharros. I hope that made him very miserable.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Unless you want to dance about in the magical kingdom of getting two shotted, you'll want to pump up vigor some more, probably.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tiler Kiwi posted:

There was one greastsword wielding guy with the name Solaire who I killed once in the Bell Tower, at Saints, and at Pharros. I hope that made him very miserable.

He's just looking for his sun, man.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What's the deal with being pulled into someone's world as a grey phantom? It happened for me the first time when I started to venture down into the big pit, and I just barely managed to kill my summoner by backstabbing him with my mace. (The most satisfying kill).

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out

EightBit posted:

That looks like your card didn't load a texture correctly or it's overheating a bit and corrupting textures.

That's the only game that does that. I'm running running 2 7980s in crossfire, and the temperatures read perfectly normal.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

DrNutt posted:

What's the deal with being pulled into someone's world as a grey phantom? It happened for me the first time when I started to venture down into the big pit, and I just barely managed to kill my summoner by backstabbing him with my mace. (The most satisfying kill).

They're members of the Rat King Covenant, they pull you into their world and gank you.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

He's just looking for his sun, man.

No sun touches the rat kings domain.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'll be streaming for a while if anyone wants to come watch me die, I'm still relatively early in the game so far (I think).

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

KoldPT posted:

What do you guys reckon I should level? Kind of want to get STR to 45 (50?) so I can use everything that depends on it, but I also want equip load :v:

Also, is faith worth leveling and, if so, to what range? I like having Lightning Spear around, and am also packing an Emit Force which is hilarious in PVP, but all the miracles I've looked at need super high faith investments (like 40s).

As was mentioned, Vigor is a good choice, but Adaptability is also tremendously worthwhile. There are some things which simply cannot be tanked, and for that, you just gotta dodge. Plus it seriously comes in handy in PvP.

Remember: If ever you feel you've slipped up or just want to try something new, you can redistribute your points by bringing a Soul Vessel back to the old ladies in Things Betwixt. For this reason, you should feel free to experiment without ever worrying that you're ruining your character.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Kimmalah posted:

For the equip load guy, there's a hidden room in No Man's Wharf. Blow up the wall with a firebomb and you'll get a ring that makes heavy armor much lighter.

Awesome! :cool:

I'm wondering about something else too though. There's so many frickin choices in this game. I'm mostly kicking butt as a mace+shield Knight so far, not having put a single point into anything to do with faith/intelligence/casting. Can I keep going like that or will the game be harder without any spells and such?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
How viable are miracles as your only school of magic now? They were kind of crap in Dark Souls because the miracles weren't great; I'd like to know if they made miracles (especially offensive ones that don't rely on getting a high covenant rank) good enough to use like sorcery.

Also, what's the ADP breakpoint for getting something equivalent to midroll? I took mine all the way up to 20 but I don't roll that much and I want to get my offensive stat higher instead (right now I'm all over the place, which is a problem I also had in DS1; I'm so glad you can respec now).

e; I'm basically the worst at picking a build and actually sticking to it. I keep getting distracted by minimum requirements for stuff and putting points in stupid places to meet them:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 27, 2014

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

PirateBob posted:

Awesome! :cool:

I'm wondering about something else too though. There's so many frickin choices in this game. I'm mostly kicking butt as a mace+shield Knight so far, not having put a single point into anything to do with faith/intelligence/casting. Can I keep going like that or will the game be harder without any spells and such?

You'll probably want to get a good bow or crossbow at some point.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Iron Keep boss: Holy gently caress, the arena is literally a bigger threat than the boss itself. That giant hole in the middle of the back was put there just to screw over players who are moving to avoid the breath attack and the boss telegraphs his move a good hour in advance. I managed to take him down to about 10% HP on the first try without trying and then fell in the hole. Tried practicing as a sunbro only to watch hosts get knocked into that hole one after another. Then soloed it again and beat it with a sigh at how easy it was when his health isn't buffed from having 3 players on the field.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Piell posted:

You'll probably want to get a good bow or crossbow at some point.

Sure. I'm wondering whether I can safely stay away from magic/miracles without handicapping myself?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If you examine the thing after the Flexile Sentry before getting the loot, it immediately (without a confirm) plays the cutscene and kicks you off of the boat. Ughhhh

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I just beat the Lost Sinner. I use the souls from killing him to rank up and now I'm level 67. The last few bosses have all been so easy, am I overleveled or something? I have a Drangleic shield but I'm mostly using a rapier but I switch to the mace if I'm against an armored boss.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I feel like this fire longsword I'm using is the game's equivalent of the Drake Sword. Until I get the catalyst-sword, what will do as a good replacement? Just a mace or something? I haven't found any embers yet.

Gray Area
Nov 17, 2007
Less than 45 minutes of Bellkeeper PVP and I've already encountered two invincible script kiddies. Are there going to be bans or what?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I just beat the Lost Sinner. I use the souls from killing him to rank up and now I'm level 67. The last few bosses have all been so easy, am I overleveled or something? I have a Drangleic shield but I'm mostly using a rapier but I switch to the mace if I'm against an armored boss.

No, the bosses in this game are just easier than in the last from my experience. Said boss is just really, really easy even if you don't do the belltower to make it easier on yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Also apparently homeward bones count lighting a bonfire as "resting" even though it doesn't reset health/estus or anything. Ughhhh x2