Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mazed posted:

You might miss a few nods in the early game, but the further you get, the more it diverges. Keep going! Play the first one later.

Basically any nods to the original are items that were in it and now say "who this used to belong to/be has long since been forgotten/destroyed". One item has an implication on what happened, but it's apparently been so long that some countries were replaced by others over time and nobody really remembers anyone or anything from the time that Dark Souls happened.

I wonder if Velka's still kicking though, she wasn't part of that particular pantheon.

Also curious about the world-trees; is there an Ash Lake analogue I should look for?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Flexile Sentry was kind of a chump boss :(

Also the Lost Bastille is gorgeous.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Stringbean posted:

Wait until you fight him in NG+ :twisted:

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Just The Facts posted:

Is this game more mouse/keyboard friendly? I got the first one without checking and haven't wasn't able to get very far in it due to the horrid controls.

Just because you can play something with a mouse doesn't mean you should. Save your wrist for FPSes/Work and get a controller.

Man the three sentinels boss is lighting me the gently caress up in solo. I wasted 2 human effigies on it already.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.
OK, is there anyway of changing the jump to the old controls? It's responsible for more than half my deaths at this point

Just The Facts posted:

Is this game more mouse/keyboard friendly? I got the first one without checking and haven't wasn't able to get very far in it due to the horrid controls.

OK, as a staunch PC gamer, get a controller for the love of Frampt. All i use mine for is Souls and Revengence

I need a new controller, my Logitech f310 buttons stick, but it's the only PC controller with PS3 layout and 360 style face buttons i can find.

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.

RBA Starblade posted:

Basically any nods to the original are items that were in it and now say "who this used to belong to/be has long since been forgotten/destroyed". One item has an implication on what happened, but it's apparently been so long that some countries were replaced by others over time and nobody really remembers anyone or anything from the time that Dark Souls happened.

I wonder if Velka's still kicking though, she wasn't part of that particular pantheon.

I don't know if this was posted yet (too many pages to keep up), but the rubble you see in the bottom of the mansion in Majula (where the skeleton is), is actually the broken fragments of the Lord Vessel.
I would like that to be explained at least.

EDIT: The cat says something along the lines of "this world is dying, so that a new one may be born". Maybe DS1 was one cycle, and DS2 is the end of the second cycle?.

TheNightReaver fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 27, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RasputinVarez posted:

OK, is there anyway of changing the jump to the old controls? It's responsible for more than half my deaths at this point

OK, as a staunch PC gamer, get a controller for the love of Frampt. All i use mine for is Souls and Revengence

I need a new controller, my Logitech f310 buttons stick, but it's the only PC controller with PS3 layout and 360 style face buttons i can find.

Check the options menu.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

aegof posted:

Depends on how important weak but constant healing for the cost of a ring slot is to you.

Kimmalah posted:

You really should only hit wood chests once to check for Mimics, no more or you'll break everything. That chest in particular had a ring of regeneration (as in HP regeneration).

I'm a cleric so that's no problem. Thanks!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Where can I get normal titanite shards? I know what enemies to kill to get large ones but I need normal ones to upgrade basic equipment, but haven't seen an enemy drop one.

Finish the Iron Keep and you can just buy them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

TheNightReaver posted:

I don't know if this was posted yet (too many pages to keep up), but the rubble you see in the bottom of the mansion in Majula (where the skeleton is), is actually the broken fragments of the Lord Vessel.
:aaa:

I'm guessing the sublime bone dust refers to the chosen undead, then.

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

In case anyone cares. The DS1 trick for remapping some of the buttons on the controller works in DS2.

I copied whatever version x360ce x_input.dll and config file was in my DS1 folder, and it just worked.

What I'm actually doing in there is swapping the b button and the right trigger on my Xbox controller. I tell the x360ce to map b to RT while setting RT to empty. Then I use joytokey to map RT to the spacebar which does what b used to do.

So some control scheme changes are definitely possible.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Holy poo poo, you really do need to keep 2 weapons on you. Weapons break so easily now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stringbean posted:

Holy poo poo, you really do need to keep 2 weapons on you. Weapons break so easily now.

I found a ring that increases durability of everything around the Bastille and haven't needed to care since.

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.

RBA Starblade posted:

:aaaa:

I'm guessing the sublime bone dust belongs to the chosen undead then?

That is my guess too.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Stringbean posted:

Compared to some of the others he's actually mildly challenging.

His impale attack is pretty brutal/impressive if you get caught by it. Good thing your dude's secretly a zombie and doesn't need ALL of his organs.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.
So I'm kinda lost. I've got a shitload of boss souls and I have to scroll to see all my locations, but the only "big" souls I have are Lost Sinner and Old Iron King. I found the big castle from the crossroads, but the helpful flask lady says I need to be stronger. That means more souls, right? I assume I need to go back to somewhere I've been before, but I don't know where to go. Any hints?

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

I'm having some major trouble with Iron Keep. It feels kind of like an equipment check. What's a good way to go about upgrading the gear I'm using right now? The best thing I have at the moment is just the Fire Sword +2 I snagged from that cave way back when. The build I'm going for right now is 40 STR 40 DEX and I have 18 of each so far. Is that kind of build terrible now or is there a good weapon I can get for it?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Does anyone know why my DLC seems to have disappeared?

When I launch the game and try to load my character I get a warning that my character has DLC objects that are not currently available, and they will be lost if I continue. If I right click DS2 in Steam and view Properties -> DLC both DS2 itself and the pre-order DLC are listed.

Baron O Beefdip posted:

I'm having some major trouble with Iron Keep. It feels kind of like an equipment check. What's a good way to go about upgrading the gear I'm using right now? The best thing I have at the moment is just the Fire Sword +2 I snagged from that cave way back when. The build I'm going for right now is 40 STR 40 DEX and I have 18 of each so far. Is that kind of build terrible now or is there a good weapon I can get for it?

Everything in Iron Keep is really strong against fire. You can get a Heide Sword from the white knight in Forest of the Giants which is similar to the Longsword and does Lightning Damage, it might be your best bet if you want something similar just to get you through Iron Keep. Alternatively, get the Ember in Iron Keep (it's before the first boss) and infuse your longsword with something else.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Baron O Beefdip posted:

You're trying to use a fire sword in the fire dungeon. Might want to try something else. Powerstance maces or clubs work really well but I'm sure there's other stuff.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Hotwire posted:

These two things happen to be related!

Your post appears to be unfinished. Care to resume typing it and explain what is going on? (it stopped happening suddenly for some reason and I was able to get people in for my boss fight)

Cactus fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 27, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cactus posted:

Your post appears to be unfinished. Care to resume typing it and explain what is going on?

The signs you're seeing are all getting picked up immediately when they're placed. Keep trying and you'll get someone eventually. You can 'refresh' available signs by dropping and canceling yours.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

A.C. posted:

Does anyone know why my DLC seems to have disappeared?

When I launch the game and try to load my character I get a warning that my character has DLC objects that are not currently available, and they will be lost if I continue. If I right click DS2 in Steam and view Properties -> DLC both DS2 itself and the pre-order DLC are listed.

Everything in Iron Keep is really strong against fire. You can get a Heide Sword from the white knight in Forest of the Giants which is similar to the Longsword and does Lightning Damage, it might be your best bet if you want something similar just to get you through Iron Keep.

I got that message but all of my DLC items were still in my inventory after continuing. I almost wish they were removed so I could actually get them out of my inventory...

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free

Cactus posted:

Your post appears to be unfinished. Care to resume typing it and explain what is going on?

Getting summoned really quickly means that it's easy to miss out on summoning people because they get summoned really quickly!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't get this soul memory system. So now no matter how low I keep my SL eventually I'm gonna be unable to do coop in some areas just because of soul accumulation? That's pretty lame.

Just The Facts posted:

I'm pretty sure the control are basically the same as in the original. Either way they're still loving awful. Personally I can play Dark Souls just fine with only a keyboard, but it required a ton of key remapping.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 27, 2014

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Okay yeah that makes sense.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hey guys if you are having issues with the whitescreen crash, this worked for me:

quote:

引用自 KingZephir:
I found a way for ppl, who doesnt have the "GPU" Option at the Nvidia Card.

http://afriendlyfox.com/2013/02/04/massively-improved-nvidia-3d-vision-on-passive-3dtvs-edid-override/

Use this, it enabled the GPU Option at my Nvidia Control Panel, and now Dark Souls 2 is working.

Sorry, for my bad english, hope it helps some guys.

Read it carefully. This is for people that dont have GPU scaling option in Nvidia control panel.

dahlis
Oct 26, 2005

Demolitions Expert

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any particularly awesome boss soul weapons for strength builds?

If you're tired of the clubs and the Greatsword I can recommend King Vendrick's "sword" (King's Ultra Greatsword), which is more of a statue on a boot on a stick. It looks as ridiculous as it sounds but deals pretty good damage when upgraded.

dahlis fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 27, 2014

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't get this soul memory system. So now no matter how low I keep my SL eventually I'm gonna be unable to do coop in some areas just because of soul accumulation? That's pretty lame.

Yes and no, once you finish NG and start NG+, Soul Memory either entirely disappears or the requirements are significantly loosened up. You won't have any problems hitting multiplayer in NG+

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
If I kicked your rear end in belfry luna I'm sorry.

(I'm not sorry being a muscle wizard is too much fun)

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Sultan Tarquin posted:

If I kicked your rear end in belfry luna I'm sorry.

(I'm not sorry being a muscle wizard is too much fun)

It looks like you've enchanted your mustache

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A.C. posted:

Yes and no, once you finish NG and start NG+, Soul Memory either entirely disappears or the requirements are significantly loosened up. You won't have any problems hitting multiplayer in NG+

But where's the fun in being a dick wraith if I cant horribly confuse new players doing ridiculous stuff? :saddowns:

Also it seems weird that the despawn limit applies to the rat covenant. You can't really keep them alive so over time I've run out of rat friends to fight people with.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Kraken posted:

Also it seems weird that the despawn limit applies to the rat covenant. You can't really keep them alive so over time I've run out of rat friends to fight people with.
Use a Bonfire Ascetic to not only respawn them but make them better!

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
At the cost of sounding ignorant as gently caress, but is it just me or the story in Dark Souls 2 basically just run around kill a bunch of poo poo? Emerald Maiden pretty much just says kill the four big dudes. I assume the Last Giant is one but I feel like I've been running around in circles trying to find anyone else.

I think I finished the loop of the Bastille (from No-Man's Wharf and Forest ends) and I have the Gargoyles and I guess the boss in Sinner's Rise left to do.

I am in Blightown 2.0/3.0/gently caress me again right now but I'm guessing there is another "great soul" there?

And then there's the case of the King's Door thing in the Forest keep? Is that last or something?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

A.C. posted:

While we're on this subject, I'm a huge nerd and want to make my last achievement This Is Dark Souls. Is there a way to force the game into offline mode short of booting up Steam in offline mode? You (basically) have to go to NG++ for certain spells and I'd hate to die to a hacker invader.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Anony Mouse posted:

Use a Bonfire Ascetic to not only respawn them but make them better!

I haven't found one of those yet. Where can you get them? Also won't that mean I only get NG+ people in my world?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Sober posted:

At the cost of sounding ignorant as gently caress, but is it just me or the story in Dark Souls 2 basically just run around kill a bunch of poo poo? Emerald Maiden pretty much just says kill the four big dudes. I assume the Last Giant is one but I feel like I've been running around in circles trying to find anyone else.

I think I finished the loop of the Bastille (from No-Man's Wharf and Forest ends) and I have the Gargoyles and I guess the boss in Sinner's Rise left to do.

I am in Blightown 2.0/3.0/gently caress me again right now but I'm guessing there is another "great soul" there?

And then there's the case of the King's Door thing in the Forest keep? Is that last or something?

Yeah, the story this time around is a hell of a lot looser than in Dark Souls. It suffers for it; you never really feel like you know where you are or why.

And no, the Last Giant was not one of the four Great Ones. Go and finish Sinner's Rise, it'll give you an item to open up a new area.

Yes, that door is an end-game thing. Not the end game thing, but close to it.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a quick question about saves in this game. Are they local to whatever machine it is loading on? I noticed this game doesn't have steam cloud saves? It's a pretty small thing considering how easy it is to roll new guys one you know what you are doing but it would be nice to know.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

cmykjester posted:

I have a quick question about saves in this game. Are they local to whatever machine it is loading on? I noticed this game doesn't have steam cloud saves? It's a pretty small thing considering how easy it is to roll new guys one you know what you are doing but it would be nice to know.

Your saves are backed up locally somewhere, but there is no steam cloud support. Your saves can only be used on the account that created them, so you can't send a modified save to a friend (preventing Megamule saves from spreading around).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Mimetic posted:

So I'm kinda lost. I've got a shitload of boss souls and I have to scroll to see all my locations, but the only "big" souls I have are Lost Sinner and Old Iron King. I found the big castle from the crossroads, but the helpful flask lady says I need to be stronger. That means more souls, right? I assume I need to go back to somewhere I've been before, but I don't know where to go. Any hints?

You need two more souls from "old ones" (Lost Sinner and Old Iron King are the first two). One is eventually accessed by getting the lady who sells miracles (Licia) to change the path that leads to Heide to a different path. The other is accessed by going down the pit in Majula. I'd recommend doing the former thing first, as that way you will find an NPC who can build you ladders into the pit so you don't kill yourself jumping.

You don't have to keep the any of the other boss souls, but you can trade them with certain NPCs for items so you might want to hold on to them until you're sure you don't need any of the stuff you can get for them.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

FuzzySlippers posted:

Any particularly awesome boss soul weapons for strength builds?

The Pursuer Greatsword is amazing if you're into great swords. I used it my first time through and it was really strong once you upgraded it.