Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Except, y'know, Destructo Disc. Which apparently got nerfed in the Cell arc, since it just bounced off of Perfect Cell.

That was anime only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I've never read the manga but according to the DBZ thread that's how it is there too, and it's mostly anime only stuff that does stupid stuff with power levels. You can still see it in the anime as well, where characters are able to keep up with much stronger villains by being clever until they have to die to let Goku kill the villain.

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???

Kurtofan posted:

My favorite moment of the episode was HG shooting a shitton of Emerald Splashes at Tower of Gray

"Stand back, JoJo and Avdol, your active stands could damage the plane and make it crash!" *proceeds to fire a SHITLOAD OF EMERALDS inside the cramped, people-filled confines of a goddamn jet airliner.*

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

thatinfernalpigeon posted:

"Stand back, JoJo and Avdol, your active stands could damage the plane and make it crash!" *proceeds to fire a SHITLOAD OF EMERALDS inside the cramped, people-filled confines of a goddamn jet airliner.*

I was just wondering why no one else had said this yet.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So can people just pocket all those spare emeralds and get rich by just following the crew around?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Genocyber posted:

I've never read the manga but according to the DBZ thread that's how it is there too, and it's mostly anime only stuff that does stupid stuff with power levels. You can still see it in the anime as well, where characters are able to keep up with much stronger villains by being clever until they have to die to let Goku kill the villain.

That stops happening after Frieza.

Well except for the fact the next big bad ends up doing that instead of the supporting cast. It's a nice subversion but doesn't really end up getting fleshed out.

Fat_Cow posted:

So can people just pocket all those spare emeralds and get rich by just following the crew around?

Maybe this is how Dio keeps track of them by monitoring the local commodity speculations.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Kakyoin did say something about how the emeralds were a "vision" so maybe it's (even more) of a psychic attack then the other stands.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

My favorite part of the newest episode was Joesph and Jotaro talking about landing the plane.

Jotaro: "You DO know how to fly a plane, right?"
Joesph: "Well...yes, but this is my third time...the plane was crashing the other two times too
Jotaro: :shepicide:

At least this time there weren't any loving PIRHANAS.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Actually, that's pretty cool. One of the things I hated about anime like DBZ is that all you had to do was boost your power level and the other guy couldn't touch you, outspeed you, or use any kind of special technique to hit you.

Except, y'know, Destructo Disc. Which apparently got nerfed in the Cell arc, since it just bounced off of Perfect Cell.

Yeah, stardust crusaders is a hugely influential work that pretty much created a new type of battle manga. Before you usually had kung-fu dudes or the like training so hard they somehow learned to fly and throw energy bolts. Well, that or mystical magical stuff. In Jojo you have semi-proxy (because the user is usually right there and specially vulnerable) battles between stands which started with "regular" powers like fireballs or being real fast, and then evolved into completely bizarre stuff, so the battles become more of a puzzle about how to beat a guy who has a stand with some weird power that you have to discover & understand before it kills you.

Hunter x Hunter is pretty similar but it emphasizes more the denial of information part of the battles (because both the protagonists and antagonists avoid as much as possible to show their hands while in Jojo the bad dudes tend to already know the abilities of the protagonists).

I wonder if they will also add the stand rules to the anime just like they added those power ratings.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

darealkooky posted:

Kakyoin did say something about how the emeralds were a "vision" so maybe it's (even more) of a psychic attack then the other stands.

Everything stand related is psychic stuff, those emeralds are invisible to the naked eye and should disappear after a while. So, in fact, Kakyoin can throw emeralds all over the place and make them vanish mid-flight before he blows a million holes in the airplane.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fat_Cow posted:

I have been wondering this very thing since Kakyoin's debut.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You know? Despite my initial skepticism, [STAND PROUD] has really grown on me. Musically-wise, I guess that, as a recording engineer that mostly works with metal bands, I've grown accustomed to the type of grindy, down-tuned riffs that the first sung part displays like a boss.

Regarding the visuals, as someone who has experienced the manga up to the present day, I appreciate that, while trying to remain as faithful to Araki's classic style as much as they can, they've also put their own spin in it. [THAT DESTINY'S BLOOD] had it mostly right and [BLOODY STREAM] got it down to a fabulous, multi-colored science. But with [STAND PROUD], it's like they're still tinkering with the visuals, giving the impression that previous efforts were not badass enough. The obvious example: I think it's neat how Jotaro's face looks way more boyish without losing any of the moxie that's characteristic of the Joestar lineage.

The character designs for the show itself also show a butt-load of emotion as well. The one thing that kinda irritates me of the show is the censorship, which I feel that makes little sense; I mean, doesn't this air at a rather late time slot back in Japan? Or is this a paywall so as to motivate for BD / DVD sales?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It does air pretty drat late. I dunno, maybe it's a weird law about what can and can't be on broadcast TV?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fat_Cow posted:

Non-stand users can't see stands or stand-related manifestations.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The cops and Jotaro's cellmates didn't see Magicians Red's fire either.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

But they did feel the temperature rise. Though that was an actual physical effect as evidenced by the wall thermometer.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

David D. Davidson posted:

The cops and Jotaro's cellmates didn't see Magicians Red's fire either.

Yeah, you can have your stand lift you up and presto, levitation! Steal poo poo from outside the cell? Telekinesis. Invisible fire that sets stuff on actual fire? Pyrokinesis. gently caress up expensive cameras? clairvoyance. You can even bend spoons.

My guess is that Araki originally wanted to have the stands assigned to specific psychic phenomena but, after realizing that this would be too limiting, he just went wild with the crazy stuff.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Yeah, I recall reading an interview where Araki said he wanted the characters to have psychic powers but didn't want lame stuff like nosebleeds and knocking chairs over. So he gave them (invisible) physical manifestations of psychic abilities to make things more exciting for the viewers. It worked.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

trucutru posted:

Yeah, you can have your stand lift you up and presto, levitation! Steal poo poo from outside the cell? Telekinesis. Invisible fire that sets stuff on actual fire? Pyrokinesis. gently caress up expensive cameras? clairvoyance. You can even bend spoons.

My guess is that Araki originally wanted to have the stands assigned to specific psychic phenomena but, after realizing that this would be too limiting, he just went wild with the crazy stuff.

Most of the stands can do that stuff anyway.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

thatinfernalpigeon posted:

Because Hyrophant Green is a lovely stand so the Emeralds probably wouldn't do any damage to the plane.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Soulcleaver posted:

Yeah, I recall reading an interview where Araki said he wanted the characters to have psychic powers but didn't want lame stuff like nosebleeds and knocking chairs over. So he gave them (invisible) physical manifestations of psychic abilities to make things more exciting for the viewers. It worked.

Well, that makes sense.

Anyways...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Should've had Magician's Red give him a perm.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

CJ posted:

Because Hyrophant Green is a lovely stand so the Emeralds probably wouldn't do any damage to the plane.

While "lovely" might be going a touch far, this looks true based on what's been seen in the show. Emerald Splash quite literally bounced off Star Platinum, suggesting that while it's most likely more than capable of shredding squishy humans or more fragile stands it doesn't have an insane level of force behind it.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Looking at the magical projections that reflect the user's inner self and the Tarot motifs, I can see where the Persona games got their inspiration from. It would probably be really funny to see an older, grumpier Jotaro deal with Teddie. Better if Jotaro's got a kid who's a sucker for cartoon mascots by that point.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Supersonic Shine posted:

Looking at the magical projections that reflect the user's inner self and the Tarot motifs, I can see where the Persona games got their inspiration from. It would probably be really funny to see an older, grumpier Jotaro deal with Teddie. Better if Jotaro's got a kid who's a sucker for cartoon mascots by that point.

In the Persona 4 anime, the characters don't ever fight physically themselves, it's all Personas, so they are just straight up Stands.

I think my favorite thing this episodes was all the swooshing and panning they did with the split screen effects, have they ever did that before?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kakyoin was hella tight on the arcade fighting game how dare you claim Hierophant Green is bad?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Knitted Art posted:

Kakyoin was hella tight on the arcade fighting game how dare you claim Hierophant Green is bad?

Kakyoin is fuckin' clever as poo poo, just Emerald Splash isn't the greatest attack. It's not a hand to hand Stand, plain and simple.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Hierophant Green's entire deal is pretty much "I can make my Stand go pretty far."

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Shugojin posted:

Kakyoin is fuckin' clever as poo poo, just Emerald Splash isn't the greatest attack. It's not a hand to hand Stand, plain and simple.

It's still way better than Hermit Purple.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Joseph should sell the pictures he's taken of DIO to modeling agencies or something.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Soylentbits posted:

It's still way better than Hermit Purple.

Hermit Purple requires Grandpa Jojo to smash a camera every time he uses it.
It's the BEST stand. :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Joseph should sell the pictures he's taken of DIO to modeling agencies or something.

Why? Joseph's filthy rich as a real estate agent in New York, and he has the full support of the Speedwagon Foundation behind him, too.

Edit: Or something to do with real estate, I can't remember.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 28, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

GorfZaplen posted:

You realize that he'd be selling near-salacious photos of his own grandfather's body, right?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Hierophant Green isn't poo poo, it's just not as good against Star Platinum. It's like saying somebody's poo poo at their sport because they god bronze in the Olympics. Only two other people in the world are better than them. I'd hardly call that poo poo.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You realize that he'd be selling near-salacious photos of his own grandfather's body, right?

Might still be in-character for the guy who was peeking on his mom.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

poo poo, I forgot about that already.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Bifauxnen posted:

Might still be in-character for the guy who was peeking on his mom.

Hardly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sekkira posted:

Hierophant Green isn't poo poo, it's just not as good against Star Platinum. It's like saying somebody's poo poo at their sport because they god bronze in the Olympics. Only two other people in the world are better than them. I'd hardly call that poo poo.

It's more like calling an Olympic swimmer poo poo because they got a bronze in archery. Different specialties.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

everythingWasBees posted:

Hermit Purple requires Grandpa Jojo to smash a camera every time he uses it.
It's the BEST stand. :colbert:

Given the way we saw Dio do it, my new theory is that it doesn't require him to smash the camera at all, he just does because he's Joseph Joestar and how do you operate these newfangled polaroids?

First time he did it was probably an accident when he was trying to take a normal picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This is amazing.

• Locked thread