Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I just beat Sinner's Rise, heide, belfry, giants, bastile, and wharf. I think that's everything so far, where the hell do I go next?

I can use this branch of yore on the lady near the door, or i can use it on this guy blocking a bonfire in the bastille. Is there a way I can get a second branch in the meantime?
You can use it on the lady and it'll open up a new area. You can also head back towards Heide and there should be an NPC that moved. If not, you need to go back to the bonfire after Dragonrider and exhaust her dialogue. There's also that hole in Majula to fall into eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I'm so bad at this game. But I just beat the Last Giant! It was very satisfying. Now it's time to figure out what the gently caress I should do next...

nollek posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. After several (around 8) tries I finally killed it. Almost had an orgasm.

The key the boss gives you will open all orange doors with black bars in the area, go explore! Or grab the small white soapstone in the rooms above the bonfire where the little merchant lady is/was. Use it and just follow people around to figure out what there is to do in the area.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So does ringing the bell in the Belfry Luna stop the bell keeper phantoms from spawning? Or does it just open the way to the boss?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

nollek posted:

I'm in the same boat as you. After several (around 8) tries I finally killed it. Almost had an orgasm.
The sense of satisfaction this game provides is amazing.

Alkydere posted:

The key the boss gives you will open all orange doors with black bars in the area, go explore! Or grab the small white soapstone in the rooms above the bonfire where the little merchant lady is/was. Use it and just follow people around to figure out what there is to do in the area.
Helpful, awesome!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

So does ringing the bell in the Belfry Luna stop the bell keeper phantoms from spawning? Or does it just open the way to the boss?

It just opens the door. Good luck getting to it!

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I just beat Sinner's Rise, heide, belfry, giants, bastile, and wharf. I think that's everything so far, where the hell do I go next?

I can use this branch of yore on the lady near the door, or i can use it on this guy blocking a bonfire in the bastille. Is there a way I can get a second branch in the meantime?

Head to the area that leads to Heide's Tower and you'll find a NPC there now and the next logical area to go to. You'll also find other branches later.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dr. Carwash posted:

Killed the covetous demon solo. What a loving joke of a boss. Easiest boss so far. Then I decide to sunbro for ez souls and the next three guys I'm helping all die to him in under a minute.

People are so bad at this game.

He has one attack where he eats you and takes all of your gear, and you don't get it back until he dies. It happened to me and I was terrified, but I had a back-up weapon and diced the dude.

He's really easy and so is the second boss in that tower. The hardest part about that entire section is dealing with the loving poison.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cheston posted:

Can you kill the game without losing your save? I just accidentally used a small silky stone instead of leaving it.

3D GAY WORLD posted:

I just did the same thing, god damnit.

You're going to get plenty more of these, using one accidentally isn't the end of the world.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Tip: save yourself a lot of headaches by scouting out bosses and unfamiliar areas by sunbroing. You lose nothing if you die and gain valuable knowledge. Since many bosses tend to come in threes and have their own quirks its always good idea to see what they do. So far ive noticed that people tend to grt really caught on the chariot and sentinels fights.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
Burned an effigy right outside Belfry Luna hoping that would stop the invasions.... NOPE

Meanwhile, I've joined the bell keeper covenant and have yet to get summoned there myself. Does burning the effigy mess with your being summoned or something? Where should I be to get summoned as a phantom? Just anywhere in Lost Bastille?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dat one portagee posted:

Burned an effigy right outside Belfry Luna hoping that would stop the invasions.... NOPE

Just go in offline. I don't think anyone is expected to complete that area while being ganked by other players.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jesus christ I can't move five inches with this goddamn ring on

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Eat poo poo Belfry Goggles. Eat poo poo, dicks, nails, barbed wire, and then poo poo it all out and eat it all again, except you can't because I exploded the magic out of your asses with urns. Victory :woop:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

nftyw posted:

Eat poo poo Belfry Goggles. Eat poo poo, dicks, nails, barbed wire, and then poo poo it all out and eat it all again, except you can't because I exploded the magic out of your asses with urns. Victory :woop:

Finally killing them feels good man. :c00l:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Kimmalah posted:

Finally killing them feels good man. :c00l:

I still think I had more trouble with Persuer. Which is pretty funny since there are like four more of them that I had to worry about. Of course, that also means four targets to get exploded with bombs. Learning to use consumables was the best thing ever.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Is there any point in keeping loot that is worse than what I already have? I've got multiple bits of gear that are exactly the same, and my inventory is getting cluttered.

Also, is there much point to improving your weapons in the first few hours? I have a broadsword and eight Titanite Shards, but I don't wanna waste them on a crappy weapon.

I've just beaten The Last Giant, and I've explored all the new areas that the key opened and am deciding which one might be best. There's a mist door past the area with loads of rock turtle guys, is this the right place?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
FINALLY got an Old Whip from the stupid crows. What armor would make for a good Simon Belmont cosplay anyways?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

nftyw posted:

Yeah I can't do it yet, especially as melee-only mostly right now. I gotta find a way to enchant a lightning weapon then maybe try again. I jumped into the pit in the meantime.

Seriously, gently caress those Gargoyles. If they only came two at a time I'd be okay. Or even if it was 3 if there were only maybe 4 or 5. Not loving 8 of them.

Doctor Albatross posted:

Is there any point in keeping loot that is worse than what I already have? I've got multiple bits of gear that are exactly the same, and my inventory is getting cluttered.

Also, is there much point to improving your weapons in the first few hours? I have a broadsword and eight Titanite Shards, but I don't wanna waste them on a crappy weapon.

I've just beaten The Last Giant, and I've explored all the new areas that the key opened and am deciding which one might be best. There's a mist door past the area with loads of rock turtle guys, is this the right place?
I would say save the shards on something you want to progress, because I'll be damned if there isn't an inexhaustible source of small or large shards (as far as I could tell) until much later in the game, which makes no sense since there is a way to pretty much drown in Titanite Chunks on the other hand fairly early on.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Gargoyles are a joke of you got Great/LArge club. Two 2hand r2s takes each one out (assuming you've got it close to max).

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Doctor Albatross posted:

First question: Dump duplicate items, put the rest into the item box at a bonfire. All gear is upgradable to decent levels. Heavier armor is naturally more protective, but if you just like the look of something, you may as well stick with it.

Second question: The only categorically lovely weapons are things like the broken sword, footman sword, etc. (and joke weapons like the ladle). Everything else is totally viable, and if you've already found something you like, then upgrading it won't hurt. The materials to do so come a bit faster the further into the game you get, but if you'd prefer to play it safe, you can stick to one weapon you trust and save experimenting with others for later. That said, it never hurts to have a few backup weapons, due to durability.

And last question: No, that part is optional, but technically, so is the other boss in FoFG. So are lots of other things in the game. If you find yourself somewhere new, just keep exploring! Worst thing that'll happen is you die!

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Sober posted:

I would say save the shards on something you want to progress, because I'll be damned if there isn't an inexhaustible source of small or large shards (as far as I could tell) until much later in the game, which makes no sense since there is a way to pretty much drown in Titanite Chunks on the other hand fairly early on.

Thanks for the tip! The only trouble is knowing whether a weapon is worth progressing. I just realised the Heide Knight Sword is better, so maybe that's worth improving. I'm having a tough time with damaging these turtle guys currently.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
They're too slow to really use without getting flanked by another, though. If you can single one out it's great though, I agree. Of course, when I tried large clubbing one it somehow survived two hits with 1 hp or so and led to me calling them more nasty names, so I went with the regular club and two solid hits brought them down to the point where a couple of magic urns hurt them enough to trick them to change their tactics -- from get in my face and make my life hell to sit back and spit fire everywhere. Works fine for me since I was out of estus and going full ranged item tossing by then.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Guys...my character keeps putting on blackface. Make him stop, please! :gonk:

Seriously, this bug keeps coming and going, giving me a black/green oval on my character's every now and then when I'm human.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I'm an idiot and just realized you could have four rings on at once. I'm SL70 :suicide:.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Just go in offline. I don't think anyone is expected to complete that area while being ganked by other players.

The invasions are the entire point of the area. If you're too much of a baby you can always summon help or depopulate the little dwarf bastards to make it easier.

I am disappointed by Belfry Sol though. Luna is great because it's got a nice switchback from the bell to the gate, and it has the gargoyle boss which ensures a steady flow of people and white phantoms trying to get through. The sloped roof on Sol is awkward to fight on, reaching the actual bell is easy and once someone has run through once they have no reason to go back. Luna is much better, and it's a shame I'm almost entirely out of the SM range for it now.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Welp, I killed the first boss easy enough that I thought i was finally getting good at these games. Then Pursuer made me his bitch over and over again. First ragequit of a new game. Feels good to be back. :darksouls:

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

Mazed posted:

First question: Dump duplicate items, put the rest into the item box at a bonfire. All gear is upgradable to decent levels. Heavier armor is naturally more protective, but if you just like the look of something, you may as well stick with it.

Second question: The only categorically lovely weapons are things like the broken sword, footman sword, etc. (and joke weapons like the ladle). Everything else is totally viable, and if you've already found something you like, then upgrading it won't hurt. The materials to do so come a bit faster the further into the game you get, but if you'd prefer to play it safe, you can stick to one weapon you trust and save experimenting with others for later. That said, it never hurts to have a few backup weapons, due to durability.

And last question: No, that part is optional, but technically, so is the other boss in FoFG. So are lots of other things in the game. If you find yourself somewhere new, just keep exploring! Worst thing that'll happen is you die!

Thanks a lot, this is very helpful! I guess I might just try these turtle guys until I can level up a bit more. I haven't quite figured out where I should go next other than that mist door upstairs from the turtle men, but I guess exploration is the key :)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Gargoyles are a joke of you got Great/LArge club. Two 2hand r2s takes each one out (assuming you've got it close to max).
Meanwhile my +10 Longsword does like 200 damage on a R1 swing (which is barely anything), and maybe 230 on an R2 swing one-handed. Add like 25 more damage to 2H R1 and maybe about the same damage as that for the 2H R2 (a thrust attack).

All the blunt weapons are winning this game. I swear I must hate myself for continuing this way instead of switching already.

No seriously why there is a super small source of small titanite shards makes no sense to me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Pre-ordered the collectors edition straight from Namco, was under the impression I'd be emailed the key or something on release. Instead looks like I have to wait til the thing physically gets here, which at this point is saying the 30th. Yay

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Alkydere posted:

Guys...my character keeps putting on blackface. Make him stop, please! :gonk:

Seriously, this bug keeps coming and going, giving me a black/green oval on my character's every now and then when I'm human.

Try verifying the game. Aside from that, turn down the graphics a bit too.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Rat King Covenant RAT KING COVENANT killing all the bad guys for my lovely little rat friends :3:

I tried to avoid PVP as much as possible until I found out that you can do it for the cuddly wuddly rattikins and now I'm angling to be the best rat bro I can be. It's really good fun apart from the shoddy hit detection on spells making it tough for them to be dodged, otherwise fuckin A I spent several hours chopping up rude invaders to bits with my rat pals.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's not that hard. Most bellbros are really awful at PVP, and once you've been invaded by two there seems to be a respite before anymore show up (that's always been my experience, at least).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Welp, I killed the first boss easy enough that I thought i was finally getting good at these games. Then Pursuer made me his bitch over and over again. First ragequit of a new game. Feels good to be back. :darksouls:

I'll admit to have felt insufferably :smug: when I found out that guy who'd dropped from a bird an hour or so back who I'd thought was a miniboss and slapped down with minimal effort was in fact the boss of the area, and I was supposed to run and fight him later.

Speaking of which, am I overlooking something or is that Dragleth armor really just that much better than everything I've run across so far? I've been unable to find anything even remotely close to it in terms of stats. Since it's all upgraded via twinking I assume it's going to eventually fall behind, but until then is it really just far and away the best like it seems to be?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sober posted:

Meanwhile my +10 Longsword does like 200 damage on a R1 swing (which is barely anything), and maybe 230 on an R2 swing one-handed. Add like 25 more damage to 2H R1 and maybe about the same damage as that for the 2H R2 (a thrust attack).

All the blunt weapons are winning this game. I swear I must hate myself for continuing this way instead of switching already.

No seriously why there is a super small source of small titanite shards makes no sense to me.

Because if you go a different direction you unlock infinite shards in a shop. It's kinda dumb but that particular shop tracks game progress in oddly specific ways. You don't really need them, 2 clubs or maces will wreck everything even without upgrading them.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Because if you go a different direction you unlock infinite shards in a shop. It's kinda dumb but that particular shop tracks game progress in oddly specific ways. You don't really need them, 2 clubs or maces will wreck everything even without upgrading them.
Are you talking about the Bastille shop? I think he wants an ember or something is what he keeps going on about, he won't sell me a single thing.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Sydin posted:

Speaking of which, am I overlooking something or is that Dragleth armor really just that much better than everything I've run across so far? I've been unable to find anything even remotely close to it in terms of stats. Since it's all upgraded via twinking I assume it's going to eventually fall behind, but until then is it really just far and away the best like it seems to be?

Yup. The Drangleic Armor is going to be the best until about halfway through the game, where it will be replaced with another set of armor that is better than everything else.

Don't worry, Fashion Souls starts opening up later on.

Sober posted:

Are you talking about the Bastille shop? I think he wants an ember or something is what he keeps going on about, he won't sell me a single thing.

Nope, the small titanite shard source is in another leg of the game entirely. There's an "ore trader," in fact.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is there a better way to trade with Snuggly than dropping the stones one by one? That takes ages.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

HellCopter posted:

Yup. The Drangleic Armor is going to be the best until about halfway through the game, where it will be replaced with another set of armor that is better than everything else.

Hey don't get me wrong: I like myself a billowing cape as much as the next guy. But when 9/10ths of the phantoms are geared almost exactly as I am, I feel like we've all worn the same dress to the party. :v:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

HellCopter posted:

Fashion Souls starts whenever you're willing to dodge, block, and die more in pursuit of looking good. Which should be around minute 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Hell yeah, when you finally have unlimited sources of Titanite, you wear whatever the hell you want. and gittin gud and just dodging everything helps too.