Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Elysiume posted:

Fashion Souls starts whenever you're willing to dodge, block, and die more in pursuit of looking good. Which should be around minute 0.

I never got an answer, is there any hat in this one that compares to Gwyndolin's Crown? That thing was spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Yup. The Drangleic Armor is going to be the best until about halfway through the game, where it will be replaced with another set of armor that is better than everything else.

Don't worry, Fashion Souls starts opening up later on.

Drangleic armor is heavy as hell though? At the time you get it you won't be able to wear the set without fat rolling. Unless you're investing purely into VIT or something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sober posted:

Are you talking about the Bastille shop? I think he wants an ember or something is what he keeps going on about, he won't sell me a single thing.

No, but the same finishing the area you find what he wants in gets you titanite shards in the regular ore shop. Unfortunately it's way on the other side of Harvest Valley.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Roll solves all fashion problems. I don't even wear headgear just to show off my beautiful blue complexion and red beard.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Am I too high level if I'm SL74 at this point?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Am I too high level if I'm SL74 at this point?

The answer is only yes if you are still in the tutorial zone.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So I never got an answer earlier, is there an agreed PvP level that isn't 150? Or is it way looser now?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

So I never got an answer earlier, is there an agreed PvP level that isn't 150? Or is it way looser now?

150 is where most PVPers stay. Tho plenty of people also level beyond that since matchmaking is purely soul memory.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So you guys all made Rosabeth wear the most ridiculous outfit you could put together right?

~wish you were here~

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there a better way to trade with Snuggly than dropping the stones one by one? That takes ages.

Drop them one at a time, but one right after the other without leaving your inventory screen. Each will spawn its item on the ground, so when you've dropped them all, exit your screen and pick them all up. Game might start chugging if you drop a dozen or two but who cares.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Genocyber posted:

150 is where most PVPers stay. Tho plenty of people also level beyond that since matchmaking is purely soul memory.

What the hell

quote:

Note: After recent testings, Soul Memory still affects matchmaking after NG+ and thereafter. Soul Level appears to have no effect on matchmaking in either NG or NG+ and thereafter.

Why would they do this? What was wrong with level ranges?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Internet Kraken posted:

So you guys all made Rosabeth wear the most ridiculous outfit you could put together right?

~wish you were here~

I just gave her all my starting gear. Not my most creative moment but it reminds one of one's origins

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

What the hell

Why would they do this? What was wrong with level ranges?

sl1 invaders!!!!!!!! :argh:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

A guy just parried me when I was behind him. :sigh:

edit: And then me and another guy killed each other at the same time. :haw:

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 27, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Genocyber posted:

sl1 invaders!!!!!!!! :argh:

Are you serious? That's the dumbest poo poo ever.

Well, unless I was in a pvp covenant area I've not once been invaded. I really don't believe that this is because red eye orbs are scarce. I'm already in areas far past the point where you can join the invasion covenant, not a single invader but I can always summon phantoms. What gives?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is there a bonfire anywhere near the Lost Sinner boss fight because gently caress that's a long walk.

Can't even coop for practice since nobody is down there at my SL.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I find it really funny how in most games it's all Legendary Sword and Spear of the Gods that or the Bow that Slayed Ten Demons but in Dark Souls and the sequel you get the blacksmith to improve your piece of hardwood and you are all set for fighting off the corrupt darkness :haw: It really is funny how I picked out that Club as a Knight my first time running Dark Souls and it owned, and continues to be completely worth it even now.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, unless I was in a pvp covenant area I've not once been invaded. I really don't believe that this is because red eye orbs are scarce. I'm already in areas far past the point where you can join the invasion covenant, not a single invader but I can always summon phantoms. What gives?

The population of all players is much much greater than the population of players who try invading, so you kinda need to win the lottery to get a human invader at this point.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
Dragonrider was surprisingly easy...just beat him on my first try. Relieved that it WAS such an easy fight, since I had absolutely no idea what to expect in that area :p

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Even with the covenant open it's still a pain to get red orbs since you gotta do a successful duel for each one. Takes a lot of time and isn't worth it since bellbro/ratbro/dragonbro duels are a lot quicker/more convenient.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I saw a few red signs in the copse this evening. First I've seen though. Are those NPC or player?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I think I need to restart because I upgraded a slashing sword that doesn't cause bleeding and it's loving garbage and even at +6 with a fuckton of str and good str scaling it does absolutely nothing to the belfry gargs.

Good thing I love playing these games and making a new character gets faster every time!

Someone should put a warning in the OP about slashing weapons.

I'm gonna miss you, the build I always run first time through.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I only got partway through Dark Souls 1. I really liked it, but I stupidly went on a wiki rampage and kind of spoiled the entire rest of the game for me plot-wise and now have no real urge to go through and actually *play* it through to the end.

Now I got Dark Souls 2 and I'm loving it, but feel a bit guilty about leaving DS1 unfinished. Is it really imperative to finish it or can I gleefully get on with the better looking/feeling/playing DS2?

Orv
May 4, 2011
There's no real reason to finish DkS1 if you don't want to except to see all the neat stuff that certain DkS2 items call back to.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The crossbow knights at the bonfire on Sinner's Rise are hilarious. I can just imagine one wily hollow figuring out that folks teleport in there and got his buddies together for a turkey shoot.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

TheQat posted:

I saw a few red signs in the copse this evening. First I've seen though. Are those NPC or player?

Those are players. I just realized I must have missed a red sign soapstone. Or is that a covenant thing?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Laughing Zealot posted:

X-box controller.

Making KB+M work is doable, but tedious and ultimately rather janky.

I wish this was in the OP. KB mouse is totally hosed. It's really frustrating that I can't just assign key bindings however I want.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

TheQat posted:

Saw a red one in the FoFG next to the hag. That's just cruel/Dark Souls as a ton of new players would be summoning it, unwittingly bringing a hostile phantom into their world that's out for blood.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

I think I need to restart because I upgraded a slashing sword that doesn't cause bleeding and it's loving garbage and even at +6 with a fuckton of str and good str scaling it does absolutely nothing to the belfry gargs.

Good thing I love playing these games and making a new character gets faster every time!

Someone should put a warning in the OP about slashing weapons.

I'm gonna miss you, the build I always run first time through.
I guess you could add "too many armoured enemies" right beside "too many humanoid enemies" on the list of things to blame FromSoftware for in Dark Souls 2 :shrug:

Honestly I would just come back later unless you absolutely have to or you've exhausted literally every other area.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I only got partway through Dark Souls 1. I really liked it, but I stupidly went on a wiki rampage and kind of spoiled the entire rest of the game for me plot-wise and now have no real urge to go through and actually *play* it through to the end.

Now I got Dark Souls 2 and I'm loving it, but feel a bit guilty about leaving DS1 unfinished. Is it really imperative to finish it or can I gleefully get on with the better looking/feeling/playing DS2?

For me, the lore and plot stuff of the Souls series is largely secondary to the gameplay, despite still enjoying the fluff. Coming from it at that angle, I would highly suggest playing through 1 at some point anyway, because it's a fantastic game and is well worth your time. Whatever theory interpretation stuff you've read will only deepen your appreciation of how it's actually presented in the game as you experience it firsthand.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

DSauer posted:

The crossbow knights at the bonfire on Sinner's Rise are hilarious. I can just imagine one wily hollow figuring out that folks teleport in there and got his buddies together for a turkey shoot.

This was double funny for me since I'm using Pate's Spear, which has a running attack where you charge forward and impale everything in your path. So I would sit down, get up, then skewer 3 hollows on my pike until they stopped respawning.

Speaking of which, I had trouble with that places boss for the dumbest reason. I was able to dodge his attacks fine when I was focused on him, but he seems to love jumping just barely out of lock on range. So I would try to lock on to him, only for my camera to instead reorient itself since he was too far away. Which usually meant the camera flipping away to stare at a wall since he jumped behind me, and then before I could do a drat thing I'd get stabbed. rear end in a top hat.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 27, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Blunt weapons are pretty much the best, nearly all of the really hard enemies/bosses are armored and take extra damage from blunt strikes.

I don't really care, because meanwhile magic still does poo poo like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R68zxKDxPJE

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Darox posted:

The population of all players is much much greater than the population of players who try invading, so you kinda need to win the lottery to get a human invader at this point.

It's upsetting too because they have all these mechanics for invading/summoning and its invades are limited to an extremely rare consumable.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Well after knocking down the last giant within 5 minutes, the Persurer sure is a cockblock

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Of all the things Dark Souls could steal from Zelda, why oh why did it have to be Floor Masters? :gonk: In the middle of fields of poison spitters too!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Of all the things Dark Souls could steal from Zelda, why oh why did it have to be Floor Masters? :gonk: In the middle of fields of poison spitters too!

The trick to black gulch is to just sprint through it. Just gently caress it. Just run to the boss door. You'll learn when to jump and roll to avoid being stunlocked in the wrong places.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.
Blue Polizia seems to be working better now, got summoned twice between 5 minutes at the Forest of Fallen Giants when I was looking for the Firedrake stone. I did notice something that I don't think was there in the console version (or maybe I was being inattentive and it was there), but have any other guardians noticed a weird red floating thing when you get summoned to kill a Black Phantom? What is that? An indicator of some sort?

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

neetengie posted:

Blue Polizia seems to be working better now, got summoned twice between 5 minutes at the Forest of Fallen Giants when I was looking for the Firedrake stone. I did notice something that I don't think was there in the console version (or maybe I was being inattentive and it was there), but have any other guardians noticed a weird red floating thing when you get summoned to kill a Black Phantom? What is that? An indicator of some sort?

It's a beacon to show you where the invader is.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Voxx posted:

It's a beacon to show you where the invader is.

That makes sense, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Alkydere posted:

Look at the ground, you can actually see their black claws popping a bit.

Also want a sure way to kill them?

Light the black pit on fire. They don't react to being on fire if you shoot the black puddle with a firearrow. Just shoot it at the corner of the black puddle pit :getin: