Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
100 Bell Keeper wins in under 12 hours. That place is ridiculously busy.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Hahaha, I summoned a dark spirit, and the first thing he did was try and throw a lightning spear at me. So I shot him with the three shot crossbow twice and then he black soap stoned out. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cyberventurer posted:

Oh gently caress me, why didn't I think to see if I could do that? I was just assuming you couldn't like in the previous game.

I'm up to the iron keep and been using a non-upgraded weapon this whole time. :psyduck:

Even better, Infusing catalysts/bells can further upgrade their power in a direction you want. I'm running around with one magic staff and one dark one.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Darox posted:

So is Immolation useful?

I'd really like to run a gimmick build wherein I punch people while on fire but I don't know if there is enough fire resistance to stop it just being frustrating.

The only thing I use for Immolation is to basically set myself for 20% percent health for a certain ring that increases your attack damage.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

Hahaha, I summoned a dark spirit, and the first thing he did was try and throw a lightning spear at me. So I shot him with the three shot crossbow twice and then he black soap stoned out. :v:

When you get to much higher levels that crossbow becomes a sign for "this person has min-maxed don't bother fighting them" :v:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Alkydere posted:

Even better, Infusing catalysts/bells can further upgrade their power in a direction you want. I'm running around with one magic staff and one dark one.

Oh wow, I need to do this. Since staves are used for both magic and hexes, chimes are only really used for miracles, and pyro hands are only used for fire, can you also infuse chimes towards lightning and pyro hands towards fire for more damage?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where the hell is this Bellfry place anyways? I feel like I must have missed an obvious path if so many people have reached it but I haven't seen any sign of it.

I'd like to know because I might make a PvP character soon because I found where you can the Dwarf armour and I want to pummel people as angry dwarf.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dirk the Average posted:

chimes are only really used for miracles

Um, no. Chimes are good for hexes too (there's a reason there's hexes that can only be cat with chimes). Hell there's a special chime that only casts hexes.

But if you're not going with hexes or the chime in question is not good for hexes, then infusing it with lightning is good. Can't infuse pyro flame.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

When you get to much higher levels that crossbow becomes a sign for "this person has min-maxed don't bother fighting them" :v:

I only pull it out when the other guy takes out anything that resembles a bell/staff. Maybe if they manned up and hit me with their huge rear end greatsword they wouldn't get 3 magic bolts to the face. :colbert:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

0lives posted:

So, this soul memory people are talking about, if I do a lot of co-op, which gets you a ton of souls, that's going to make it less likely for people to connect with me? That's really sad, I like helping people out a lot.

Is this how it works? You can only connect with people around your soul memory range? Because that kinda sucks. I'm not the biggest fan of PvP but like you I have fun co-oping with my friends and that makes it a lot more difficult to do that whenever we want. :/ I mean I get the idea, it's probably so very skilled players can't just sit in early areas and invade new players, but I dunno. I don't think this was the best solution to that problem.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Where the hell is this Bellfry place anyways? I feel like I must have missed an obvious path if so many people have reached it but I haven't seen any sign of it.

I'd like to know because I might make a PvP character soon because I found where you can the Dwarf armour and I want to pummel people as angry dwarf.

Try the servants quarters bonfire in the Bastille. It's down the ladder, behind a Pharros gate

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
What the actual gently caress? (Spoiler for falling down the big pit) ended up exploring Grave of Saints or whatever, found a boss(?) room that's nothing but infinitely respawning hordes of rats. I killed 30 or so before I gave up and just let them eat me. What the poo poo am I supposed to do here, put Pharros boxes into all 15+ of the places in the area that ask for them?!?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

MrTheDevious posted:

What the actual gently caress? (Spoiler for falling down the big pit) ended up exploring Grave of Saints or whatever, found a boss(?) room that's nothing but infinitely respawning hordes of rats. I killed 30 or so before I gave up and just let them eat me. What the poo poo am I supposed to do here, put Pharros boxes into all 15+ of the places in the area that ask for them?!?

Eventually a boss rat that looks very similar to all the others will appear. You'll get the standard boss health bar when it does.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

MrTheDevious posted:

At some point a boss health bar will show up.

One of the rats has a sweet mohawk, he's the one with the boss health bar. You've got to kill him to win the fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

MrTheDevious posted:

Try again and kill more of them. After you kill enough rats a boss rat will spawn. You'll know it when you see it because a huge health bar pops up at the bottom of the screen. Kill it and you win.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

MrTheDevious posted:

The boss room?

Did you notice the boss's health bar shows up? If you notice, he's a bit more different looking than the other rats.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

MrTheDevious posted:

You may have noticed a boss life bar pop up at some point. Kill their leader and the rest will go away.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

MrTheDevious posted:

You have to kill the odd rat out, the horde of rats aren't the vanguard, it's the weird looking one. The pharros stones do nothing but activate traps for the pvp covenant you unlock after the fight.

E:Oh loving jesus a lot of people answered that question

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Oh poo poo thanks for the flood of answers :v: That's actually a pretty neat fight

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Genocyber posted:

Um, no. Chimes are good for hexes too (there's a reason there's hexes that can only be cat with chimes). Hell there's a special chime that only casts hexes.

But if you're not going with hexes or the chime in question is not good for hexes, then infusing it with lightning is good. Can't infuse pyro flame.

Huh, interesting. I'll have to double check my hexes; I guess I just haven't gotten to the ones that are castable by chimes.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Uh, question.

I am in Heide Tower of Flame, past the second fire and inside the tower itself. I am walking, and I come upon a hole in the wall. I move in, and the cave just suddenly ends and goes into a blinking white cave, that seems... textureless. Is it supposed to look like that?

EDIT: Never mind, quit+reload fixed it. Weird.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Trying desperately to think of a way to warn my host of the trapped chest under the ballistas in FoFG, hoping and praying it's poison, NOPE CROSSBOW, world master has been killed. :smith:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Just made it to the three sentinels and kicked their poo poo in with another phantom. I was expecting a much harder fight based on the comments about them so far.

For people having trouble with three sentinels:

if you kill the first on the ledge and wait there the second jumps up there as well so you don't need to fight the two of them at the same time

keyframe fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 27, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
^^^^ Whenever I waited on the ledge BOTH of them would jump up.

I have no idea how people can manage to have trouble with the Sentinels if they summon phantoms. Alone they're a lot harder because you have to kill the first one before his buddies join the fight.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 27, 2014

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Wait is Soul Memory souls earned I thought it was just souls spent?

[edit]Spent makes sense, earned kinda makes sense I guess in a whole separate veterans from new players way but that's one new character away from being gotten around.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 27, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Again. Phantoms falling. :v:

You'd be suprised how many times I've seen people not aware of their surroundings and using the lock on only to realize they don't have much room to navigate and they go weeeeeeeee down the floor.

They seem to go in a panick once all three go down. I try to help but well...

Ruin Sentinels HATE when you try to heal. (basically world master tried to heal while three of them are going after him)

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

When I fought the Sentinels I fell off but I just hung out underneath him and waited for my phantoms to finish him off, the other two don't aggro early unless you run out into the center.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

^^^^ Whenever I waited on the ledge BOTH of them would jump up.

I have no idea how people can manage to have trouble with the Sentinels if they summon phantoms. Alone they're a lot harder because you have to kill the first one before his buddies join the fight.

Uh...I think you're doing something wrong. The first Sentinel is always a solo fight so long as you stay up on the platform.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

You have to kill the odd rat out, the horde of rats aren't the vanguard, it's the weird looking one. The pharros stones do nothing but activate traps for the pvp covenant you unlock after the fight.

E:Oh loving jesus a lot of people answered that question

Got 'em, coach! Thanks for the help, bros. Fucker ate poo poo once I knew what to do

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Wow, the last lever in the Iron Keep is really dumb. I don't mean "hard to reach", it's just a really dumb concept. :psyduck:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

Uh...I think you're doing something wrong. The first Sentinel is always a solo fight so long as you stay up on the platform.

Really? Well I only saw it happen once because I didn't fight them many times, but what happened was the Sentinel somehow fell off the ledge we were on while I was fighting. He stayed on the ground for awhile before jumping back up, but then a few seconds later one his friends jumped up and killed me.

MrTheDevious posted:

Got 'em, coach! Thanks for the help, bros. Fucker ate poo poo once I knew what to do

Don't talk that way about your future comrades :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think I've finally gotten too much soul memory for Belfry Luna, it's not biting nearly as much as it was before. Oh well, time to try and get bites at Sol, I guess. Will the game just start summoning me there if I put the ring on in different locations?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I think I've finally gotten too much soul memory for Belfry Luna, it's not biting nearly as much as it was before. Oh well, time to try and get bites at Sol, I guess. Will the game just start summoning me there if I put the ring on in different locations?

If you have the ring on and you are in a valid summoning spot your covenant sign will glow.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Wow, the last lever in the Iron Keep is really dumb. I don't mean "hard to reach", it's just a really dumb concept. :psyduck:

What do you mean it's a dumb concept? It's not that hard to find. The ladder is right there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darox posted:

If you have the ring on and you are in a valid summoning spot your covenant sign will glow.

I know, what I'm asking is is there any way to tell which Belfry I'll be going to, or which I'll be put into a queue for?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Shindragon posted:

What do you mean it's a dumb concept? It's not that hard to find. The ladder is right there.

Putting the lever that turns all the traps off BEHIND the curtain of traps. That's some "Videogames circa 1996" poo poo right there.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I know, what I'm asking is is there any way to tell which Belfry I'll be going to?

Well I got sent to Belfry Sol while hanging around Luna, at a point where I had no idea about Sol or where it was. I 'think' the rules are "closest belltower, unless you are actually in a belltower, in which case both are valid".

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
So can you sequence break the game and waste the Iron Branch to de-petrify the dude up in the Bastille by the bonfire? Or does that one only work on the woman by the switch near Majula?

Aeon
Apr 30, 2009

Orv posted:

Trying desperately to think of a way to warn my host of the trapped chest under the ballistas in FoFG, hoping and praying it's poison, NOPE CROSSBOW, world master has been killed. :smith:

I always rushed ahead of the host and stood behind it spamming the "no way" emote followed up by diving away from the front of the chest. It worked most of the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

Good god the powerstance maces are overpowered. I don't even have them upgraded.