Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I am so jealous at athreos chat. I need 2 more but everyone here thinks SCG price is the correct one and shelling out $30 per god is painful. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

Are they required to give out that many packs? I know the total packs given out was 20 for 20~ players.

It's a recommendation in the prerelease kit instructions, and at least here that is what the store actually receives from WOTC to actually distribute as prizes.

quote:

Entry Fee and Prizes
Entry fees may include cost of player product and any additional prize support you wish to offer.
• Decide and announce the prize payout before the tournament begins.
• All free product provided to you must be given out over the course of your Prerelease events. We recommend a prize pool that contains a minimum of 2 boosters per player. You may give out additional Journey Into Nyx booster packs as prizes while your supplies last.
• We encourage you to add on other non-Journey Into Nyx prize support at your own discretion.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

vOv posted:

2wizards1cup?
switcheroo.avi

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
So, I finally met someone who is interested in buying a foil (NOT PROMO) emrakul. What do people think would be a fair cash price, player to player?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Went 2/4 in my prerelease, though quite easily could have gone 4/2 if it wasn't for some horrendous luck with draws in a couple of games. Went black and blue, Doomwake Giant and Dreadbringer Lampads did some serious work for me. Didn't get any ridiculous cards but got Macar and a Silence the Believers which I should get some use out of, plus Daring Thief who also served me well. All in all it was really good fun and didn't encounter anyone who was anything other than friendly which was really nice.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

vOv posted:

Now I'm trying to figure out what the gently caress is happening to this guy.

MURDERGOATSE.cx

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Should WotC be more strict with prize support and maybe do a mini campaign to get people to realize some shops are ripping people off? Not just for prereleases but weekly events year round.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Sorry I don't have better images, but these two just popped up on Japanese Twitter accounts; they're preview cards from Conspiracy and FTV Annihilation, revealed at a Nico Nico Douga event this weekend. Apologies for any translation errors on the Conspiracy one, it's hard to make out.

Breigo, King of Eternity
Legendary Creature - Spirit, 2WU, 2/4
Flying
When ~ does combat damage to a player, exile any number of target nonland permanents you control, then return them to the battlefield under their owners' control.

And the FTV card:

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 27, 2014

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Breigo needs to get his rear end right into my blink EDH deck now!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm digging that they used an actual God in the new Wrath of God.

And that it's Heliod slamming his spear down like he's having a temper tantrum.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I'm digging that they used an actual God in the new Wrath of God.

And that it's Heliod slamming his spear down like he's having a temper tantrum.

Well, he did get pissy when Elspeth didn't immediately fix the problem he sent her off to do. The guy strikes me as being one of the more volatile of the gods, even if he is the color of restraint.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Went black at the pre-release. Ended up with a B/U deck that worked really well with constellation. Went 3-2, losing out to my girlfriend and a player whose pool was god drat amazing for black. Lots of kill spells, Abhorrent Demon + Black Prerelease dude and two Garys.

Milled out three people with Thassa's Devourer and Returned Centaurs. :3:

Durdled and killed other people with Flying Gorgon Aspect'd sirens.

My big note is that Thassa's Ire is god drat amazing and I will pick it up in draft whether I am in blue or not. U for an enchantment, 3U: tap or untap any creature. Saved my rear end a lot.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Hopping Ghost posted:

And the FTV card:

Guess that means no Damnation.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
When life gives you Jace TMS and you have 0 blue fixing pack 3 pick 2...

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

netcat posted:

Guess that means no Damnation.

Why not? It's a box of full of wraths.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Hopping Ghost posted:

Sorry I don't have better images, but these two just popped up on Japanese Twitter accounts; they're preview cards from Conspiracy and FTV Annihilation, revealed at a Nico Nico Douga event this weekend. Apologies for any translation errors on the Conspiracy one, it's hard to make out.

Breigo, King of Eternity
Legendary Creature - Spirit, 2WU, 2/4
Flying
When ~ does combat damage to a player, exile any number of target nonland permanents you control, then return them to the battlefield under their owners' control.

And the FTV card:

Pretty sweet card that makes me think we're going to be seeing a lot of etb effects in conspiracy. Seems good for multiplayer.

So I've been playing with some Blossom decks and I think it's extremely clear even in an Aggro shell I would want to put a 1-of elixir in the mainboard due to how in a non-trival amount of games I end up looping my graveyard into my deck at least once even in shorter games. I know aggro + elixir doesn't make much sense previously but it's a case of Blossoms being ridiculously good at drawing cards if your opponent lets it stick on the board.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'm hoping there is at least one really silly one in there like Apocalypse Chime or City in a Bottle. It's not like there isn't at least one basically completely valueless card in each one.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Yesterday my brother and I attended an event at this new-ish store started up by an old friend of ours from back when we used to play competitively during the rough and tumble era of Tempest Block - Onslaught Block. I picked red and my brother picked blue, and eventually rolled a RU deck since I had a lot of good removal on both colors, pulled a Stormbreath Dragon as a bomb, and Artisan of Forms for dumb shenanigans. Went 3-2 though (barely placed 8th), and in both occasions my opponents had Bassara Tower Archer which I could never deal with. My brother went 4-1 (placed 4th) with his RU deck which was a more early game aggressive than mine but without any real bombs for the late game.

This was the first real event/tournament/whatever we had attended since 2002 according to that Planeswalker Points system. It was also the best LGS we had been to in a long time, so I'm glad we're back in the game more or less. Lotta new blood around, and we feel old as poo poo.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
So, wait, if Xenagos the god is dead, he's also dead as a planeswalker too, right? Or did he just lose his godhood?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Deckit posted:

My big note is that Thassa's Ire is god drat amazing and I will pick it up in draft whether I am in blue or not. U for an enchantment, 3U: tap or untap any creature. Saved my rear end a lot.

I think it is way too slow and mana intensive to generally play in draft, in sealed I might try it but even still with hesitation.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I don't think we know if Xenagos is still around as a walker who or not yet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Samael posted:

I am so jealous at athreos chat. I need 2 more but everyone here thinks SCG price is the correct one and shelling out $30 per god is painful. :suicide:

Why would Athreos settle at a higher price than Thassa? It's not like there is going to be more than one Athreos deck in standard and the chances of it winning more than Mono U did is probably low.

VVV Thats a good point. I still don't think it's going to stay that high as it's going to be in one deck and I can't see that deck dominating the format.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 27, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
It could settle higher due to supply and demand, aren't there going to be something like 5 times as many Theros packs opened as Journey Into Nyx packs?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Does anyone know the answer to the Journey into Nyx poster?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Veyrall posted:

So, wait, if Xenagos the god is dead, he's also dead as a planeswalker too, right? Or did he just lose his godhood?

It is funny that they tried to make a card that shows an unambiguous end to the storyline but it doesn't.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GoutPatrol posted:

Does anyone know the answer to the Journey into Nyx poster?

It is Athreos. Count how many symbols on each side, Left is 1 4 6. Then on the right 1 6 5 So Jou has 165 cards, card # 146 is Athreos

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Veyrall posted:

I figure since Godsend doesn't actually kill a creature, just exiles it and all copies of it, Xenagos the god isn't dead just permenently severed and banished from the plane providing his godhood. He can planeswalk around all he wants but he'll never access the divine half of himself again. Kind of like Bolas and his preplaneswalker revamp power.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The March Hare posted:

When life gives you Jace TMS and you have 0 blue fixing pack 3 pick 2...

Except for Hierarch, what looks like maybe Pentad Prism in the 2 slot, and land fetching?

Not saying it's great, but it looks like you've got plenty for a single card splash, and at least it isn't essential to your strategy if it doesn't work out.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The answer is that no one, least of all Wizards, knows, until they decide to bring him back for something.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Entropic posted:

The answer is that no one, least of all Wizards, knows, until they decide to bring him back for something.

Or it could (and almost definitely will) happen in the second half of the book which hasn't been released yet.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Xenagos gets exiled to Sarpadia where nothing remotely interesting happens because thrulls.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Lunsku posted:

I think it is way too slow and mana intensive to generally play in draft, in sealed I might try it but even still with hesitation.
Theros limited is mostly about one super dude vs another super dude. Being able to keep that opponent's super dude locked down is a huge tempo swing. Try it out.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Korak posted:

Theros limited is mostly about one super dude vs another super dude. Being able to keep that opponent's super dude locked down is a huge tempo swing. Try it out.

Requiring to commit a whole lot of mana on locking down that opponent creature, while opponent can still develop his board around it, is to me the issue. Yes, a tapper is very good in the environment. Which is why Akroan Mastiff is very solid here, when generally 4cc tapper might be bit looked down on. The difference is all in the activation cost of 1 vs 4.

I can see it being fine very late in the game, when you're starting to play from the top of your deck and have enough mana for two activations or one + most of your plays you can draw from the deck. Getting comfortably here in draft is not given I think.

Besides I think that is a big oversimplification on how Theros limited plays down. It's isn't simply battlecruiser crashing against battlecruiser.

LSV seems to be even harsher on it than me:

quote:

Limited: 1.0

Paying four mana for vigilance is absurd, and paying that much to lock a creature down is not much better. Thassa a bad deal, and not one you can agree to if you want to win games.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I would like to say that Hour of Need (the strive card that makes 4/4 fliers) is freaking insane in limited, and every game I drew it, I was able to ride it to victory.

We were both stalled on mana, and I was taking a beating in the air from Wingsteed Cavalry, then exiled out my Satyr after attackers were declared to eat it, and then closed it out in the air.

It's absolutely insane when you can cast it on 2 or 3 of your guys. Swing with the team into unfavorable blocks to play mind games with them, and if they block to keep your team alive, great, maybe you snuck some damage through. If not, just exile all your dudes before combat damage to make a team of 4/4's for a 2- or 3-turn clock.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Boco_T posted:

It could settle higher due to supply and demand, aren't there going to be something like 5 times as many Theros packs opened as Journey Into Nyx packs?

Yes, a good portion of packs are opened at drafts, so the supply of cards from sets is dictated largely by how often they're drafted. For every pack of Journey Into Nyx that gets drafted, there will have been roughly 6 packs of Theros. While this isn't a hard and fast rule because some sets are just straight up more popular than others, it's a good rule of thumb for estimating supply.

This is also why I don't think it's a great idea to split dual land cycles across blocks like the temples, some parts of the cycle will have drastically different supply:demand numbers than others. We're probably not going to see much difference with the temples because they're relatively underwhelming as far as duals go, but if any fetch land reprint goes the same route it could be a pretty big problem.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Goons, help me feel better! I went to my second prerelease today, went with black. Opened Pharika, Pharika's Mender, and that mill-yourself enchantment creature spider, plus Nylea's Presence and Market Festival. The rest of my pool was pretty ugly; I had two Hubris, a Sea God's Revenge, and a Voyage's End in blue, but basically no creatures worth casting (one each Vaporkin, Dakra Mystic and Cloaked Siren and that's really it). In white I had lots of decent low-curve creatures (Sightless Brawler, Observent Alseid, Aegis of the Gods, Eidolon of Rhetoric, Lagonna-Band Trailblazer) but my only removal was two Banishing Lights. In black I had some decent high-end dudes, Abhorrent Overlord and Marshmist Titan among them, but my only removal was one Feast of Dreams and one Necrobite. I went BW with a green splash for the fixing cards and the BG gold cards. The deck was really light on removal; two Banishing Lights and a Feast of Dreams was it. I really wanted to go blue instead of white but then I'd have something like 10 creatures in the deck, which wasn't really gonna work.

Anyways, I lost the first round 1-2 in a really janky way (both losses were to a topdecked Aqueous Form getting in exactly lethal, both when I had the win on the board next turn). I was pretty tilted, especially since that third game my opponent mulled to five and kept a five-land hand and then just drew nothing but gas. So in round two I played a RG player who had Arbor Colossus, Hydra Broodmaster, Heroes' Bane, Consign to Dust, Revel of the Fallen God and some red removal) and got blown out in two games, barely able to establish a board before getting run over. Dropped after that because the store's prize structure gives nothing if you have two losses.

I'm just feeling pretty tilted and wondering what I could have done better. I guess I could have tried to go solid into BG, but the problem there is that my only creature below CMC 3 would be a Satyr Hedonist, and my only removal in the whole deck would be a singleton Feast of Dreams, a Desecration Plague and a Necrobite-- and only one of those can hit a non-enchantment creature. Going UB gives me a bunch of bounce spells but then my creature base looks awful.

It's just a bummer because I took 3rd in a midnight prerelease with what I thought was a very well constructed aggro deck with tons of removal and efficient dudes. I can't go to any more events today and it would have been nice to go out on a high note.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

jassi007 posted:

It is funny that they tried to make a card that shows an unambiguous end to the storyline but it doesn't.

What makes you think they didn't intend for Xenagos's ultimate fate to be ambiguous? The only important thing in the story, and what they show on the card, is that Xenagos is exiled from godhood.

Even if you remove all copies of Xenagos, God of Revels from your opponent's deck they get to keep their Xenagos the Revelers :eng101:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Goons, help me feel better! I went to my second prerelease today, went with black. Opened Pharika, Pharika's Mender, and that mill-yourself enchantment creature spider, plus Nylea's Presence and Market Festival. The rest of my pool was pretty ugly; I had two Hubris, a Sea God's Revenge, and a Voyage's End in blue, but basically no creatures worth casting (one each Vaporkin, Dakra Mystic and Cloaked Siren and that's really it). In white I had lots of decent low-curve creatures (Sightless Brawler, Observent Alseid, Aegis of the Gods, Eidolon of Rhetoric, Lagonna-Band Trailblazer) but my only removal was two Banishing Lights. In black I had some decent high-end dudes, Abhorrent Overlord and Marshmist Titan among them, but my only removal was one Feast of Dreams and one Necrobite. I went BW with a green splash for the fixing cards and the BG gold cards. The deck was really light on removal; two Banishing Lights and a Feast of Dreams was it. I really wanted to go blue instead of white but then I'd have something like 10 creatures in the deck, which wasn't really gonna work.

Anyways, I lost the first round 1-2 in a really janky way (both losses were to a topdecked Aqueous Form getting in exactly lethal, both when I had the win on the board next turn). I was pretty tilted, especially since that third game my opponent mulled to five and kept a five-land hand and then just drew nothing but gas. So in round two I played a RG player who had Arbor Colossus, Hydra Broodmaster, Heroes' Bane, Consign to Dust, Revel of the Fallen God and some red removal) and got blown out in two games, barely able to establish a board before getting run over. Dropped after that because the store's prize structure gives nothing if you have two losses.

I'm just feeling pretty tilted and wondering what I could have done better. I guess I could have tried to go solid into BG, but the problem there is that my only creature below CMC 3 would be a Satyr Hedonist, and my only removal in the whole deck would be a singleton Feast of Dreams, a Desecration Plague and a Necrobite-- and only one of those can hit a non-enchantment creature. Going UB gives me a bunch of bounce spells but then my creature base looks awful.

It's just a bummer because I took 3rd in a midnight prerelease with what I thought was a very well constructed aggro deck with tons of removal and efficient dudes. I can't go to any more events today and it would have been nice to go out on a high note.

Dude, sometimes there are times that you get outbombed by your opponent's bombs and having good bombs spread among all the colours makes choosing which two or three colours to use very hard. Getting 3rd at a pre-release is a good result already but you can't always get a good pool or a good hand, it's the variance that makes the game so interesting. There are 17 lands and 23 spells in the deck and there will be losses just because you didn't draw correctly.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Samael posted:

Dude, sometimes there are times that you get outbombed by your opponent's bombs and having good bombs spread among all the colours makes choosing which two or three colours to use very hard. Getting 3rd at a pre-release is a good result already but you can't always get a good pool or a good hand, it's the variance that makes the game so interesting. There are 17 lands and 23 spells in the deck and there will be losses just because you didn't draw correctly.

:smith: You're right I know, I just felt really tilted. Honestly reviewing my pool I probably would have been better off just going UB, and siding into white if I ran into someone who was playing really aggressively. Pharika is really good, though. I know there was a lot of disappointment about her after seeing the others but I think she is standard-playable, especially since BG dredge only got better with JOU. Her ability makes combat math a nightmare for your opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

:smith: You're right I know, I just felt really tilted. Honestly reviewing my pool I probably would have been better off just going UB, and siding into white if I ran into someone who was playing really aggressively. Pharika is really good, though. I know there was a lot of disappointment about her after seeing the others but I think she is standard-playable, especially since BG dredge only got better with JOU. Her ability makes combat math a nightmare for your opponent.
One neat trick you can do is take a winning record list from a major tournament and practice with it on a friend to get a feel for what a great deck is made of.

• Locked thread