Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Al-Saqr posted:

Me and allies beat the Three sentinels bosses in the bastille, good times.

Speaking of which, is there anything at all to the boss souls items you get? I mean the 'Or perhaps..' part of the description, which has made me hold off of using any of them, is there anything at all that I should keep them around for? I'd hate to use them now and find out they had more important ramifications later.

Never consume boss souls. You can give them to someone later on who gives you gear or spells in exchange for the souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airflamer
Jan 21, 2012

wow that story was super amazingly awesome, im not even joking right now

Grimey Drawer

There's so much bellbroing I can't even play the game

:allears:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Ignimbrite posted:

Never consume boss souls. You can give them to someone later on who gives you gear or spells in exchange for the souls.

Thank gently caress, I knew my paranoia was telling me something, I'm glad I didnt consume them.

Lesser souls (like the proud knight, undead, etc.) are fair game right?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Well I rerolled a new dude to be a mace lord and already got most of the way to where I was previously in like 45 minutes.

I think I've done this every souls game so far...

Toiwat
Sep 6, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Yes, those are just cash in item form.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Al-Saqr posted:

Speaking of which, is there anything at all to the boss souls items you get? I mean the 'Or perhaps..' part of the description, which has made me hold off of using any of them, is there anything at all that I should keep them around for? I'd hate to use them now and find out they had more important ramifications later.

You'll eventually meet an NPC that will trade you weapons (and spells, in a couple of cases) for them. Most of them are gimmicky and/or kinda suck, but they're worth looking at.

Al-Saqr posted:

Thank gently caress, I knew my paranoia was telling me something, I'm glad I didnt consume them.

Yeah, those aren't ever used for anything else.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Question about savefiles, does the "DARKSII0000.sl2" file include all characters or are they character independent, cause I can only find one file?

I want to back up my saves in case of hacked char invasions.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
This might sound weird, but is there a way to keep those semi-scripted backstab attacks from ever happening? In group fights they will trigger regulary as one of the dudes decides to just turn around at random and than I'm stuck in that attack pattern while the other enemies will finish me off.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

So, where can I get some titanite? I need a few chunks and large shards, and the ore seller is total garbage. What's even the point when you can only sell small pieces?

Feindfeuer posted:

This might sound weird, but is there a way to keep those semi-scripted backstab attacks from ever happening? In group fights they will trigger regulary as one of the dudes decides to just turn around at random and than I'm stuck in that attack pattern while the other enemies will finish me off.

Don't attack from behind? You're invincible during that animation anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Feindfeuer posted:

Holding up your shield prevents backstabbing/riposting, same as in the previous game. So just hold L1 or whatever before you do. If you're dual wielding/not using a shield, you're outta luck sorry!

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
All you guys keep talking about the Belfry Luna, where/what is it? I feel like I should have come across it by now...

I have no idea where to go now anyway, I just finished Sinner's rise. Should I be looking for this place?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Logan 5 posted:

All you guys keep talking about the Belfry Luna, where/what is it? I feel like I should have come across it by now...

I have no idea where to go now anyway, I just finished Sinner's rise. Should I be looking for this place?

Check under the Servants Quarters bonfire. Bring a lockstone. It's worth checking out, and there are some neat rewards for doing it. It won't advance the plot any though. For that you might want to check out other paths away from the main town hub. Try walking to other areas manually instead of warping.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Dirk the Average posted:

Check under the Servants Quarters bonfire. Bring a lockstone. It's worth checking out, and there are some neat rewards for doing it. It won't advance the plot any though. For that you might want to check out other paths away from the main town hub. Try walking to other areas manually instead of warping.

Ah, ok, well I don't think I have a lockstone right now so that'll have to wait. I think I found the next area though, from Majula, talk to that lady and pay her 2000 souls to move the thing?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Logan 5 posted:

Ah, ok, well I don't think I have a lockstone right now so that'll have to wait. I think I found the next area though, from Majula, talk to that lady and pay her 2000 souls to move the thing?

Yeah that's a new area you need to go to.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Is there some reason a mace does ten times as much damage to all targets? Great, it hurts things, but why can't I use any other weapons without being a loving gimp?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

CJacobs posted:

Holding up your shield prevents backstabbing/riposting, same as in the previous game. So just hold L1 or whatever before you do. If you're dual wielding/not using a shield, you're outta luck sorry!

Actually you can backstab with your shield up in DSII

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

CJacobs posted:

So I'll have to stop using my Bastard Sword to keep that from happening? Well, I guess it's a fair trade, less damage but higher survivability, though not for the reason one might actually chose a shield in the first place.

Edit:

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Haha.. great. :smith:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Man, it's really cool when you summon a rad dude who leads you through the place, shows you the neat stuff and helps you beat the boss first time around. Looking Glass Knight was tough, ran out spell charges thanks to his shield deflecting them - though I totally ducked in my chair and tried to dodge a Great Lightning Bolt :shobon:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

What? God drat it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Is it the case that you can't be pushing a direction for the backstab to work, or do I just have confirmation bias?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CJacobs posted:

There... is no letterboxing, though? Try changing your resolution to your native one? If you're playing on a 4:3 or 5:4 screen it should just automatically make it that aspect ratio.

Yeah?

I was really pissed off about it when I realized that they're still letterboxing. They said several times that DS2 will support any resolution and it turned out to be a load of bullshit.

EDIT: I would ignore this issue normally, since that's how I played DS1 all the way through (several times too), but they loving promised support for all resolutions and that PCGamer Durante article "confirmed" it so I was going into the game expecting to finally play a Dark Souls game without letterboxing and instead I got this.

EDIT2: And the best loving bit is that my console playing friend played the PS3 version on a 4:3 screen and according to him it didn't have any letterboxing at all.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 27, 2014

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

How useful are whips this time around? I'm thinking of doing a Belmont gimmick run sometime after I've finished my first playthrough.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah?

I was really pissed off about it when I realized that they're still letterboxing. They said several times that DS2 will support any resolution and it turned out to be a load of bullshit.

EDIT: I would ignore this issue normally, since that's how I played DS1 all the way through (several times too), but they loving promised support for all resolutions and that PCGamer Durante article "confirmed" it so I was going into the game expecting to finally play a Dark Souls game without letterboxing and instead I got this.

EDIT2: And the best loving bit is that my console playing friend played the PS3 version on a 4:3 screen and according to him it didn't have any letterboxing at all.

Well poo poo I guess I was wrong. Sorry dude. I don't think there's a way to fix it other than playing on something 16:9 or 16:10. :(

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah that's a new area you need to go to.

thanks guys :)

Although I've died from falling here for the first time this game. And I was having such fun laughing at all the people's bloodstains who roll off cliffs. Now its me, I'm that bloodstain.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'm probably playing this game wrong. All the trailers show a lone dude perserving (or, well, dying) in the face of huge challenges. But I want to use the online features all the time, so my knight is usually part of some adventuring party that just rolls through areas in other people's world while he habitually calls people in front of fog gates. (I think the only boss I did solo was Lost Giant)

Why does coop have to be so fun? :argh:

Verviticus posted:

Is there some reason a mace does ten times as much damage to all targets? Great, it hurts things, but why can't I use any other weapons without being a loving gimp?

I carry a mace and a sword. I think the mace is only better against heavily armored enemies and skeletons, basically things you'd expect to have low crushing damage resistance. Against fleshy or lightly armored things I really prefer bladed weapons. Not to mention that the arc of the mace is pitiful, so I really don't like using it against more than one enemy at a time or fast enemies.

Randler fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 27, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Randler posted:

I'm probably playing this game wrong. All the trailers show a lone dude perserving (or, well, dying) in the face of huge challenges. But I want to use the online features all the time, so my knight is usually part of some adventuring party that just rolls through areas in other people's world while he habitually calls people in front of fog gates. (I think the only boss I did solo was Lost Giant)

Play full co-op, then when you're done, make a new dude, join the Git Good covenant that turns off all online stuff and makes everything harder.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can I have 2 copies of soul arrow equipped at once if I have an attunement slot free?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Verviticus posted:

I've been wondering the same loving thing. Even after pumping up my DEX build even further, my +4 homunculus mace is still outdamaging my +4 scimitar despite having a lower AR than the scimitar with my high DEX stat.

Even against fleshy dudes like the unarmored hollows in Huntsman Copse, the mace does more damage despite having a lower AR with my stats. :psyduck:

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah?

Yeah, I got hit hard with the letterboxing on 1280x1024 myself - got around it with a program called ShiftWindow. Basically, you run the game windowed, and then use ShiftWindow to resize the window to the area of your monitor. Stretches things a bit, but does approximate fullscreen. Not hard to use, either. A quick Google will grab you the program.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Trying to do sinner invasions in NG. So far 2 out 5 people were hackers with infinite hp and stamina, both wearing Faraam armor. Also I used a cracked blue orb in the castle and i invaded someone in Brightstone?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Oh man, Nexus is filled with lovely "HD lightning mods" and nothing else.

WHERE IS MY DOGE SOULS MODDERS??

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ninjaiguana posted:

Yeah, I got hit hard with the letterboxing myself - got around it with a program called ShiftWindow. Basically, you run the game windowed, and then use ShiftWindow to resize the window to the area of your monitor. Stretches things a bit, but does approximate fullscreen. Not hard to use, either. A quick Google will grab you the program.

I use that program for a couple other games to make borderless windowed.
I can't use it on DS2 though, it stretches the game horribly.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jose posted:

Can I have 2 copies of soul arrow equipped at once if I have an attunement slot free?

You can have 2 copies of any spell and you get more charges, yeah.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!

Jack Trades posted:

I use that program for a couple other games to make borderless windowed.
I can't use it on DS2 though, it stretches the game horribly.

I played the whole of Dark Souls 1 with a horribly stretched screen, so possibly I've just gotten used to it. Sorry I couldn't help!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Oh man, Nexus is filled with lovely "HD lightning mods" and nothing else.

WHERE IS MY DOGE SOULS MODDERS??

They've got PS3 and Wii U(wut?) controller icons for the UI there. Hopefully someone will make proper PC icons soon.

ninjaiguana posted:

I played the whole of Dark Souls 1 with a horribly stretched screen, so possibly I've just gotten used to it. Sorry I couldn't help!

I suppose it's a matter of taste which of the two evils is less obnoxious. Personally I find letterboxed version to be easier on the eye than that kind of stretching, though I see how you can prefer the real fullscreen version.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
http://www.twitch.tv/allborland/c/4141314

This is by far the best / worst death I have ever captured. I seriously can't believe this happened it was frickin hilarious I couldn't do anything to break free of the emote.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
BLUE MAN GROUP LIVE AT THE BELFRY LUNA FOR ONE DAY ONLY!

Tickets available at the door. One titanite chunk per person.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Goddamn I will never put down a sign at the castle again. Everyone runs into the room with tons of ruin sentinels and gets killed.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009

Randler posted:

This is what I've been doing as well. First time playing one of these kinds of games and really enjoying the coop aspect, I always go to someone elses world when I die to restore my humanity. Seems more fun that way, even if it takes longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I am very curious if the Large Club can stunlock the Smelter Demon Might make new STR build character to test this...