Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

##Vote Rome

#Sponsor the State of Imperial Law Act
#Sponsor the Secularity Act
#Sponsor the Creation of an Imperial Beauracracy act
#Sponsor the Imperial Sword Hunt Act
#Sponsor the Pax Romana

##Propose Aristocratic system

I propose that senators vote the Earl to be our first dictator, as he suggested first amongst equal BUT! appointed leader of the senate none the less. I also propose that should the earl expire that we will vote for a new dictator from the senate ranks to replace him, but I should also add that the earl's family by becoming Emperor and hence also dictator has also earned his place as a patrician family in the senate, and should his kin be suitable will also be voted dictator. I'll also add that Senators will appoint new senators should any of our Kin expire before succession and thus ending a senatorial line, lord be merciful. A new Patrician family will be selected from a group of individuals who rendered a great service to the empire either financially, militarily, scientifically, bureaucratically, or by achieving a great feat of infrastructure, construction or by aiding in the preservation of internal stability in times of great need.

In future times when the Senate will be hard pressed to control the empire because we will have grown to fantastic size, I argue that the senate should split in half one of new electives approved by the senate, the other half of the existing order. Promoting fresh leadership and change in times of great change. The Dictator in those times may elect a proconsul to rule over the new senate, but he will still be subject to the dictator supreme in Constantinople!

This is the way we will preserve order in the empire amongst the plebes for centuries to come.

Samuel fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
##Vote Rome

[OOC: come on, we've seen a lot of paradox mega lp's with a Byzantium - this could be the first one with a Rome!]

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
##Vote Rome

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

##Vote Rome
We've always been Rome, our capital is the best Rome, we have never stopped being Rome and won't stop now. We are the Empire on the western end of the Silk Road, we are Da Qin, we are Rome.

##Propose the Centralised Realms Act
For too long local power has been vested to autonomous lords rather than the Empire. This must end. At the same time we must recognise that there's a few territories of the Empire that cannot simply be brought in a unified centralised system that simply. For this reason I propose that we centralise all power within the realm that Imperial law may supercede all other local law with the following exceptions:
  • The Kingdom of the Pechenegs is to be abolished, but the current King is to retain his overlordship over his holdings and his personal autonomy. His realm is to be consolidated as the Despotate of Epirus.
  • For purposes of diplomatic balance, given its strength and tremendous influence in Roman politics, the Kingdom of Sicily is also to retain its autonomy.
  • The Exarchate of Kartli, being as far-flung a possession as it is, seems unlikely to be a territory where effective Imperial control can be established without overstretching our bureaucracy. It should be placed under the administration of the Ecumenical Patriarch and granted inviolable autonomy.
  • The Republic of Cibyrrhaeot, a vital imperial lifeline into the Levantine trade following the disastrous Branas coup is to be granted inviolable autonomy.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

##Vote Byzantium

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

##Vote Byzantium

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Come to think of it, how is the Holy Roman Empire being handled anyway? Is it still to be, like...the same we know and love in EU, only smaller, or has it been kinda broken? Because we could totally usurp that title if it's nonexistent. We /are/ the Holy City of Europe, after all, and have more a claim to Rome and its legacy than that money-grubbing Pope of, what, Scotland and some place in Scandinavia? The era of the Papacy is over - first things first, we reclaim Rome that we properly own.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I shall ##Vote Byzantium
Rome was good. Byzantium is now.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

##Vote Rome

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
## Vote Rome

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

##vote Byzantium

Rome belongs to the Pope, enough said. Maybe once things change, we can change, but I don't see us cracking that nut any time soon.

More importantly, I ##propose the Tricameral Act.

As much as I dislike the douxes and the damage that their uprisings have done to our Empire, it cannot be denied that in many ways they are the backbone of our nation. They provide us with resources, both monetary and militarily, and they take on the difficult duty of administering the individual provinces that we simply do not have the resources to manage effectively. So, the douxes require a say in the governance of the Empire.

The Emperor is a power house onto him, or her, self, and in holding the title, they are entitled to a certain degree of power and influence. In the end, though, the Emperor represents not just a single individual or a dynasty, but the power of the central bureaucracy that is inherited from Emperor to Emperor, to assure the smooth operations of our central provinces and the administration of the standing armies. Also, theoretically, the power of the Black Chamber is beholden to the Emperor personally, to be used in the service of the Empire.

Finally, there is the Senate. For long, we have maintained a solely advisory role, an adjunct to the Emperor's will. But now, as we move into a new era, it is time for the Senate to change with the times.

So what I propose is this. Proposals may be passed and sent to the Emperor, who is empowered to enact those proposals to the full extant of his power, though at the discretion of the Imperial household, specific proposals may be vetoed. This veto may not be used in cases where proposals have a two-third majorities of the proposing body. The douxes may put forth proposals dealing with internal matters, and the legal redress of wrongs between the various members of the new government. The Senate may put forth proposals regarding external matters and the greater vision of the Empire. In cases where there is no clear mandate, the Emperor may choose to follow his best judgment in finding proper solutions.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Meinberg posted:

##vote Byzantium

Rome belongs to the Pope, enough said. Maybe once things change, we can change, but I don't see us cracking that nut any time soon.

More importantly, I ##propose the Tricameral Act.

As much as I dislike the douxes and the damage that their uprisings have done to our Empire, it cannot be denied that in many ways they are the backbone of our nation. They provide us with resources, both monetary and militarily, and they take on the difficult duty of administering the individual provinces that we simply do not have the resources to manage effectively. So, the douxes require a say in the governance of the Empire.

The Emperor is a power house onto him, or her, self, and in holding the title, they are entitled to a certain degree of power and influence. In the end, though, the Emperor represents not just a single individual or a dynasty, but the power of the central bureaucracy that is inherited from Emperor to Emperor, to assure the smooth operations of our central provinces and the administration of the standing armies. Also, theoretically, the power of the Black Chamber is beholden to the Emperor personally, to be used in the service of the Empire.

Finally, there is the Senate. For long, we have maintained a solely advisory role, an adjunct to the Emperor's will. But now, as we move into a new era, it is time for the Senate to change with the times.

So what I propose is this. Proposals may be passed and sent to the Emperor, who is empowered to enact those proposals to the full extant of his power, though at the discretion of the Imperial household, specific proposals may be vetoed. This veto may not be used in cases where proposals have a two-third majorities of the proposing body. The douxes may put forth proposals dealing with internal matters, and the legal redress of wrongs between the various members of the new government. The Senate may put forth proposals regarding external matters and the greater vision of the Empire. In cases where there is no clear mandate, the Emperor may choose to follow his best judgment in finding proper solutions.

There you have it Romans! Not only does this ingrate side with the Byzantines and casting our legacy to the wind, but he also sides with the douxes!
Now I ask all of you: Is this what you want? To side with those who'd cater to madmen and insurrectionists, is that how we'll label our empire so it won't drag the Roman name through the mud?
I say: Have none of that! Vote proudly, vote stabillity! but above all else Vote Roman!

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

YF-23 posted:

##Propose the Centralised Realms Act
For too long local power has been vested to autonomous lords rather than the Empire. This must end. At the same time we must recognise that there's a few territories of the Empire that cannot simply be brought in a unified centralised system that simply. For this reason I propose that we centralise all power within the realm that Imperial law may supercede all other local law with the following exceptions:
  • The Kingdom of the Pechenegs is to be abolished, but the current King is to retain his overlordship over his holdings and his personal autonomy. His realm is to be consolidated as the Despotate of Epirus.
  • For purposes of diplomatic balance, given its strength and tremendous influence in Roman politics, the Kingdom of Sicily is also to retain its autonomy.
  • The Exarchate of Kartli, being as far-flung a possession as it is, seems unlikely to be a territory where effective Imperial control can be established without overstretching our bureaucracy. It should be placed under the administration of the Ecumenical Patriarch and granted inviolable autonomy.
  • The Republic of Cibyrrhaeot, a vital imperial lifeline into the Levantine trade following the disastrous Branas coup is to be granted inviolable autonomy.

I personally ##Support the Centralised Realms Act. It is better for the stability of our nation. The Exrchate has bit at us time and time again - given autonomy and the guidance of the Patriarch it can be a force of good for the Empire. The other merchant republics chaffed under the Empire's leash and broke away from us - let it not be repeated. The Kingdom of the Pechenegs is not even that any more - many of the Greco-Altaics are in Crimea. (OOC: Crimea should totally have Greco-Altaic as its culture).

Alexey
Feb 15, 2012
##Vote Rome Let the Pope know that we shall return. Let him tremble.

Averrences
May 3, 2008
##Vote Byzantium

We should respect our Greek Legacy, and thus the reflection of our new state as a primarily new distinct Empire from the one that was Rome.

We are not Latins, worshipers of the heresy of Catholicism - nor are we Romans, the concept of which disappeared in the West with the fall of Classical civilisation.

We are something new, something stronger - and something that should be respected given the nature of our journey to this moment in time.

We are Rhōmaiōn - with the Cyrillic alphabet and the blood of the Ancient Greeks, we follow the true Orthodoxy of the Christian faith. Recognition of our Latin past in the Classical era is important, but one should not let that overshadow our current trajectory.

"Βασιλεία Ῥωμαίων"

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

##Vote Rome

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

##Vote Byzantium

Five
Jan 6, 2009

##Vote Byzantium

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
ROME: 37

Funky Valentine
Skyfinder
Gnooble
Lord Cyrahzax
BwenGun
Sparq
AJ_Impy
StrifeHira
Raserys
ZearothK
Fox Ironic
Flesnolk
Dux Supremus
theblastizard
mcclay
ChaosSamusX
Ghetto Prince
WeaponGradeSadness
Disproportionation
TheLoquid
LJN92
Alikchi
Amnistar
Arbite
RZApublican
NewMars
Readingaccount
Semquais
sniper4625
Samuel
Ubern00b
GenHavoc
YF-23
Freudian
Horsebanger
Alexey
ThingOne

BYZANTIUM: 36

Blackunknown
Aeromancia
ChrisAsmadi
Sinner Sandwich
Ghostwoods
Patter Song
Pyroi
AdventFalls
TheFlyingLlama
TheMcD
OddObserver
GoatLord
Frozen_flame
Dr karma
Redeye Flight
Rubix Squid
Luhood
Sindai
DerLeo
Lost Season
Adept Nightingale
Dreamsicle
Mirdini
Rejected Fate
Caustic Soda
ManicMarine
cokerpilot
D3m3
Beerdeer
UrbicaMortis
sheep-dodger
Lynneth
Meinberg
Talas
Averrences
Five

I can't believe how close this is! I'm on the edge of my seat.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
##Vote Byzantium

Excellent LP, by the way.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

##Vote Byzantium

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Fellow Romans! Make history today! Vote for the empire the could have been that should have been, vote for the empire Constantinople was built on, not the land of feudal douxes that seek to make it their cashcow and named it Byzantium! Nay! Show them that the senate rules these lands, that law rules these lands, show them that modern times are ahead with a dashing twist of the old ways that made up the very fabric of the empire before it devolved into feudalism. Show them that coupled with wisdom, tolerance and technology that Rome can and will succeed!

Don the red! Show us pride, colours and dedication!
Vote Roman

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
##Vote Byzantium

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

##Vote Byzantium

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
##Vote Roman

MacRomanGuy
Jan 2, 2013
##Vote Rome
#Sponsor the State of Imperial Law Act

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
##Vote Byzantium

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?
##Vote Byzantium

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender
##Vote Rome

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
## Vote Roman

luserus
Aug 6, 2013
## Vote Rome

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

##Vote Roman

Choccy Starfish
Oct 5, 2012
## Vote Byzanrome

Choccy Starfish fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 27, 2014

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

##Vote Roman

deported to Canada fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 27, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Wasn't going to vote but ##Vote Byzantium. This is a Byzantium Paradox Mega-Campaign after all. :v:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

##Vote Byzantium

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

## Vote Rome.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
##Vote Rome

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
If we do call ourselves Rome, one of our National Ideas needs to reflect our lack of owning actual Rome. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

##Vote Byzantium

• Locked thread