Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
One boss in, I found my preferred approach to the Dark Souls Experience:

Wear little and carry a big stick.

It's gonna bite me in the rear end eventually because it's a pain dealing with mobs that way, but hey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I can't decide what build I should go for. Should I go for a Str/End shield-tanking build like I did in DS1 (I have a 100% phys shield), a Dex/Adp dodge build, or use Fth as my primary attack stat with just enough Str/Dex/etc. to use basic gear? :ohdear:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
By the way, is there any goon approved use of the Name engraved ring?

(Also, regarding the tower across from the entrance to Majula: That ambush can go gently caress itself. I'll come back with a bigger club!)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's always better not to take the hit, but you really should put points in adaptability no matter what. Dex doesn't affect your agility.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Just relaxed thinking the bastille was about done until I entered a watery chamber.

Am I meant to be able to figure out what the covenants are without reading online? I didn't join the one in Majula cause I dunno how it works.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone managed to invade using blue orb? Every time I try to do it, it just instantly fails.
I can use red orbs without any problems. Usually invade within 5-10 seconds of me using it.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone managed to invade using blue orb? Every time I try to do it, it just instantly fails.
I can use red orbs without any problems. Usually invade within 5-10 seconds of me using it.

Yeah but you need to keep mashing it. There are not many sinners in NG! (yet)

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Am I meant to be able to figure out what the covenants are without reading online? I didn't join the one in Majula cause I dunno how it works.

But he tells you exactly what it does...

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

FrickenMoron posted:

But he tells you exactly what it does...

The tree alcove thing? It just said enter covenant or offer something.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Apparently I managed to kill some level 800+ invader scrub (fairly easily I might add) since when he died I got something on the order of 415k souls out of it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

He intentionally let you kill him.

By doing that, he screwed up your Soul Memory and you can now be invaded by higher level dudes. You can also summon higher level dudes, but, uh, not sure how many of those there are that are co-opping.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's always better not to take the hit, but you really should put points in adaptability no matter what. Dex doesn't affect your agility.

I will get Adp up to 12-14 regardless, but if I do a shield tanking build, it won't be my focus for a while. If I do a Dex/dodge build, I'll take Adp to 20 ASAP.

Basically, I'm SL47-ish and have one respec available. I'm in No-Man's Wharf, so I don't really want to increase my SL much higher, otherwise I'm probably going to have issues with summoning. The question is more "what do I spend my points on right now" than anything else.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

So just for shits and giggles I was going to look at the "Pre-order" poo poo by making that license05.bin file. But there IS no DLC folder in the game files. Where it's supposed to be, did they actually bother to patch that?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!
Anyone know how to open the doors in Sinner's Rise right by The Last Sinner?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Anyone know how to open the doors in Sinner's Rise right by The Last Sinner?

The Bastille key is beyond the Bell Tower covenant area

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tallgeese posted:

By doing that, he screwed up your Soul Memory and you can now be invaded by higher level dudes. You can also summon higher level dudes, but, uh, not sure how many of those there are that are co-opping.

Eh, it wasn't a huge deal, I was already around level 90/100ish and it only bumped me up to around 120.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

OH. OH GOD IT'S HAPPENING. IT'S HAPPENING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulr20xC8NT0

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm still a little confused about bonfire ascetics. If I burn one in, say, Huntsman Copse will that buff all bosses and mobs in the area or just ones up to the next bonfire? I can't figure out which one I'd need to use it on to respawn the Lords.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Apparently I managed to kill some level 800+ invader scrub (fairly easily I might add) since when he died I got something on the order of 415k souls out of it.

Tallgeese posted:

Honestly twinking was never that much of an issue that it required a system like Soul Memory. I'm at 1.2 million and I'm having trouble finding people to invade in the bellzone. Also, at some point everyone is going to be like level 200 and they're going to have like 40 in every stat that matters so endgame PvP kinda sucks. Oh and people can still twink if they just rush to get the dull ember without engaging enemies. I'd rather just have the old level system back.

The only real advantage I can think of is that it's pretty fun if you enjoy making new characters constantly, and you like comparing your character's strength with your Soul Memory.

edit: i should mention that i am still getting invaded, i just seemingly can't invade. don't know why that is. i was doing the invading business at very odds hours though so that might be it

people who invade me seem a little underleveled. sometimes i swing my power stanced katanas around twice and they're instantly dead

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Apr 27, 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Wow, the misty area of the shaded woods is some other level of asshattery

Talking head owns though :3:

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

poptart_fairy posted:

So I'm still a little confused about bonfire ascetics. If I burn one in, say, Huntsman Copse will that buff all bosses and mobs in the area or just ones up to the next bonfire? I can't figure out which one I'd need to use it on to respawn the Lords.

It's the latter. The Lords are linked to the third bonfire in the Copse.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Walrus Pete posted:

It's the latter. The Lords are linked to the third bonfire in the Copse.

Ah cool, thank you. I thought it might be the case but thought I'd get it confirmed before blowing souls on the thing.

e; kitty kat looks smug as gently caress.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

Wow, the misty area of the shaded woods is some other level of asshattery

Talking head owns though :3:

I loved the misty woods. It's great because you'll get paranoid and start seeing enemies where there aren't any. And sometimes the enemies disengage you for a while and you just swing around randomly in hopes of hitting them. It's so fun :allears:

I think the one thing Dark Souls 2 did well as a as a sequel was creating new, fun areas. Then again there are also some real lovely ones as well. There's a certain, really iron-y area that I really disliked for the most part, but that's probably just because I lost about 200k souls in that area put together.

Some of the bosses are just super fun designs, too. Skeleton Lords, Executioner horsey, Royal Rat Vanguard were all really fun boss designs, even though they weren't all that hard. The first one especially was super fun to do in co-op. Just you and 2 other dudes hacking away at lots of skeletons.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 27, 2014

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
How do you make blacksmith MacDuff talk to you? I lit his torch and all that, but he just keeps muttering about getting him an ember.

Also, I feel like this game is a lot more non-linear than the first one. I've beaten Last Giant, Dragonrider and Flexile Sentry, I see people talking about Purser and I feel like I missed something big.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
The Havel Greatshield is amazing, I'm in love :allears:

Is there any weapon that's good at dealing with the tiny spiders in Tseldora?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Red Crown posted:

How do you make blacksmith MacDuff talk to you? I lit his torch and all that, but he just keeps muttering about getting him an ember.

Also, I feel like this game is a lot more non-linear than the first one. I've beaten Last Giant, Dragonrider and Flexile Sentry, I see people talking about Purser and I feel like I missed something big.

Rest at the bonfire, NPCs don't move normally they warp when you reset the room they're in. As to the other thing, that's in the forest.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Red Crown posted:

Maybe you should get McDuff his ember then. I wouldn't blame you for looking it up where it is since it's in kind of an obscure location. Luckily you shouldn't need it unless you want to infuse poo poo.

Also, you'll find the Pursuer after you open the door to a new area with the key Last Giant gave you, unless you already killed him the first time you saw him. If you don't know where the door is, search the area before the Last Giant a little more.

The game is indeed more non-linear. I think the reason they made it like this is so that you'll always find someone to summon and invade, in theory at least. You're just as likely to find a level 40 dude in an area as you are to find a level 80 one. You can also put off an area until you become stronger. I like it.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
It took me three goddamn attempts, but I finally managed to get a hex bastard with both the bat staff and a dark infused mace at just under 200k SM.

Bell PVP here I come.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
When I played Dark Souls I got invaded a grand total of once, and never managed to find anyone to invade, even after both joining that forest covenant and dicking around in the forest as a human.

And then along comes The Bell Keepers Jesus Christ I had to take the ring off as I was getting summoned every 10 seconds (that's not hyperbole, I would literally get back to my world and be summoned straight away). And setting foot into the area? How am I supposed to progress when I'm invaded every minute? Is that area even required to progress, or can I ignore it?

I can also see why people are hating the hexes. One guy who invaded me was using them, and he killed me in two shots using some big ball of death spell :argh:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Belfry is optional, you can just summon a couple people to protect you until you open the boss room. It's a very small area and most people that get summoned have no clue what's happening and then die.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

For gently caress's sake. Is it common to have lag issues? I've lost all my Effigies because I just keep getting invaded over and over again, and they keep winning due to lag. I want to practice, but you can't GIT GUD against players who hit you outside of their weapon's actual range and backstab you from the front. I really like the invasion idea in theory, but in practice it's a load of cheap poo poo. Is there anything to be done about this, in terms of fiddling with connections or anything?

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

Is that area even required to progress, or can I ignore it?

It's entirely optional. It does give you access to the key that opens all those locked doors around the Bastille though, and the NG+ version of the boss does reward a pretty sweet ring.

BreakAtmo posted:

For gently caress's sake. Is it common to have lag issues? I've lost all my Effigies because I just keep getting invaded over and over again, and they keep winning due to lag. I want to practice, but you can't GIT GUD against players who hit you outside of their weapon's actual range and backstab you from the front. I really like the invasion idea in theory, but in practice it's a load of cheap poo poo. Is there anything to be done about this, in terms of fiddling with connections or anything?

Your best bet is to disable international matchmaking if it's on.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

When I played Dark Souls I got invaded a grand total of once, and never managed to find anyone to invade, even after both joining that forest covenant and dicking around in the forest as a human.

And then along comes The Bell Keepers Jesus Christ I had to take the ring off as I was getting summoned every 10 seconds (that's not hyperbole, I would literally get back to my world and be summoned straight away). And setting foot into the area? How am I supposed to progress when I'm invaded every minute? Is that area even required to progress, or can I ignore it?

I can also see why people are hating the hexes. One guy who invaded me was using them, and he killed me in two shots using some big ball of death spell :argh:

step 1: go in
step 2: get wrecked
step 3: you have 5 minutes where you can't be invaded, plenty of time to do the zone

But yeah 10 seconds between summons. I would go to take the ring off and haha owned we're summoning you again

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

man.

It's optional, though you'll probably want to go through it anyway. Also I'm fairly sure there is like a 5 minute cooldown to being invaded after you get invaded twice in the area.

BreakAtmo posted:

You'll kind of have to abuse lag yourself to win. Roll before they've even done anything. Usually if you bait them to attack without getting hit, you can scare them into rolling away from you. Then you can chase them until they run out stamina, which is when you can actually land a hit or two. If you aren't using a huge loving greatsword or something and they are, you're kind of at a disadvantage though.

One time I came across a dude that was literally warping around because he was lagging so badly. That poo poo made me want to unplug my internet for a few seconds.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 27, 2014

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, are blue orbs broken? Every time I use one, my dude kneels and immediately a message pops up saying no world of the guilty found.

This occurs in every zone I've tried it in, with pretty much no actual search time, just an immediate failure.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
5 minutes eh? Time to murder some midgets!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 37 minutes!

Minorkos posted:

I loved the misty woods. It's great because you'll get paranoid and start seeing enemies where there aren't any. And sometimes the enemies disengage you for a while and you just swing around randomly in hopes of hitting them. It's so fun :allears:

I think the one thing Dark Souls 2 did well as a as a sequel was creating new, fun areas. Then again there are also some real lovely ones as well. There's a certain, really iron-y area that I really disliked for the most part, but that's probably just because I lost about 200k souls in that area put together.

Some of the bosses are just super fun designs, too. Skeleton Lords, Executioner horsey, Royal Rat Vanguard were all really fun boss designs, even though they weren't all that hard. The first one especially was super fun to do in co-op. Just you and 2 other dudes hacking away at lots of skeletons.

Misty Woods: turn your camera angled downward, it obviously fucks with your distance vision but this way you got more contrast between the white silhouette and the ground. It sucks but it's better than letting them all sorta blend in with the fog

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How far into the game do I get the things to do co-op? I'm just running around dying in forest of fallen giants as I get used to only having a crappy dagger and soul arrow

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Annath posted:

So, are blue orbs broken? Every time I use one, my dude kneels and immediately a message pops up saying no world of the guilty found.

This occurs in every zone I've tried it in, with pretty much no actual search time, just an immediate failure.

You may have to spam it a bit, plus there probably isn't a very large amount of players with a ton of sin. It'll pick up torwards ng+ where people start to do the "kill every npc for their unique drops before going to ng+" run. And yes, they are broken, says so right in the item name.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Jose posted:

How far into the game do I get the things to do co-op? I'm just running around dying in forest of fallen giants as I get used to only having a crappy dagger and soul arrow

Once you find the bonfire with the trader in the forest, go upstairs and smash down the door. You can find the first co-oping item (small white soapstone) in there :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NamePolice
Feb 26, 2011
Is there a chart anywhere that shows recommended SM for each area? I'm Sunbroing at Old Iron King right now and I have a SM of 900k. I've heard there's a door that opens when you get 1M SM and I don't want to skip a significant of the game because of that, since I still only have one Great Soul from the Lost Sinner.