Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

"After dark" is right, if you see what I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Trickjaw posted:

This is exactly correct. The bucloic country pub and the war-torn mayhem of after dark town centres have been RECLAIMED FOR DECENT PEOPLE!

Ah yes, away from those filthy poors.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Ukraine and Russia fighting over Slavyansk – Russian troops are manoeuvring on the border after the Ukraine government attempted to take back control of Slavyansk"

Telegraph:

Caring men have more 'cojones', Nick Clegg's wife Miriam says

Times:

Break Church and State link, says Clegg

Mail:
"Kate, Wills and George come to the end of their tour of Australia."

quote:

“So, Cobbers. Was our Royal welcome appreciated? Sheila here managed to get through security to settle on Kate’s nose, but sadly 1438 other admirers were swatted.”

Express:

:commissar:      :ohdear:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ah yes, the "anyone who disagrees with me on this issue is literally in cahoots with Satan" argument, a classic of the genre

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't even know how you Brits deal with the Church of England. Its founding is one of the biggest jokes in history and not even old people seem up for denying that.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't even know how you Brits deal with the Church of England. Its founding is one of the biggest jokes in history and not even old people seem up for denying that.

By not going to church mostly (less than 10% of the UK population attend services regularly).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cliff Racer posted:

You didn't see ratings for Songs of Praise.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the RBS bonus plan – Royal Bank of Scotland wanted to ask shareholders for permission to pay bonuses twice the size of salaries to sidestep EU rules"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Ukraine crisis: G7 'to intensify Russia sanctions'

Stephen Collins:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Another sexy Putin vs the weakling west cartoon.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Kurtofan posted:

Another sexy Putin vs the weakling west cartoon.

Manboobs are sexy?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Crashbee posted:

Manboobs are sexy?

Macho man putin if you prefer. Cartoonists taking pro-Putin propaganda at face value.

The cartoonist even made him look less fat.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 26, 2014

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Cliff Racer posted:

I can't think of a single religion that was formed for a more clear and reasonable purpose :confused:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Strawman posted:

I can't think of a single religion that was formed for a more clear and reasonable purpose :confused:

Scientology was founded to make L Ron Hubbard money. :colbert:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

For all Murdoch's talk about taking down elites, it sure is completely unsurprising to see The Times' antidisestablishmentarianism here.

Yes, finally got to use that word in a sentence!

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Kegluneq posted:

Scientology was founded to make L Ron Hubbard money. :colbert:

Scientology isn't a religion, it's a cult.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Strawman posted:

And that purpose was to get the king a divorce (and that is a bad thing.)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

Wait why is that a bad thing? Getting divorced rules.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Cliff Racer posted:

Why? That's no worse than any other reason, and better than most.

Strawman fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 27, 2014

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Cliff Racer posted:

It was ultimately to give the King the chance to sex up some more aristocratic ladies and thereby get himself a male heir. Truly the noblest of goals.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Ukip announces its election strategy - Chris Riddell on the UK Independence party's poster campaign"

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent on Sunday:

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Cliff Racer posted:

There's more to it than that. The Vatican didn't have a policy of blocking all divorces as most people seem to think. Just a few decades earlier they had granted a divorce to Louis XII. The reason the pope refused to give Henry a divorce was because of the influence of the Habsburg Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V. The Habsburg's were hoping that they'd be able to extend their empire to England by marrying his son Philip (the one who'd later send the armada) to his, then only heir, Mary. This all went wrong for both parties obviously, but Henry was quite right to withdraw the English church in this case away from the power of Rome.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Telegraph:

Why are Hague and Merkel hiding behind Jay Leno?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not talking what was politically best for England at the time, I am talking in a religious sense. Knowing that the church was founded for the reasons it was, how can anyone take it seriously on religious matters? If you are religious and want to follow tradition the Orthodox and Catholics are, theologically speaking, better choices. If you don't believe that the Pope actually directly speaks for God, etc. then aren't the Methodists, Lutherans, Presbyterians etc. a better choice? The only reason one would be CoE/Anglican, that I can see, is because their parents were.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

It helps to think of the CofE as less of a church in the religious sense, and more of a social club/charity that oversees religious schools and historic buildings. And also gets seats in the House of Lords, for some loving reason.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cliff Racer posted:

I'm not talking what was politically best for England at the time, I am talking in a religious sense. Knowing that the church was founded for the reasons it was, how can anyone take it seriously on religious matters?

People tend not to care about how it was founded, and there's general apathy in what the religious officials say in general regarding spiritual matters (outside of the usual backlash to an ignorant priest spouting the "God hates Queers/Women/Blacks/etc" rhetoric). For a majority of people who identify as CofE, it basically amounts to going to church for three things only; baptisms, funerals, and weddings.

There's a general belief in God and an afterlife, I guess, but people tend not to give a poo poo otherwise. That's assuming they even believe of course; I know quite a few people who would be more accurately described as agnotstics or even apathetics, but still label themselves as CofE because of cultural reasons.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cliff Racer posted:

The only reason one would be CoE/Anglican, that I can see, is because their parents were.

Pretty sure this is why 90% of people are the religion they are.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cloudchamber posted:

There's more to it than that. The Vatican didn't have a policy of blocking all divorces as most people seem to think. Just a few decades earlier they had granted a divorce to Louis XII. The reason the pope refused to give Henry a divorce was because of the influence of the Habsburg Holy Roman Emperor, Charles V. The Habsburg's were hoping that they'd be able to extend their empire to England by marrying his son Philip (the one who'd later send the armada) to his, then only heir, Mary. This all went wrong for both parties obviously, but Henry was quite right to withdraw the English church in this case away from the power of Rome.

To be precise, marriages can only be rendered null and void (i.e. the marriage never existed) in certain cases like mental illnesses, infertility, etc., which is totally not a divorce. :v:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Ukip and the European elections – Poll giving anti-EU party a three-point lead suggests racist candidates and Nigel Farage's expenses are not harming Ukip"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Dad's Army film 'in the works'

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ahahaha man is it just me or is Thomas stepping up his game?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not sure it's even possible to troll harder than that, honestly.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
He could have had the EU arrows twisted around each other like a swastika I suppose.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's based on this for anyone who hasn't seen it

So yeah he's literally equating the EU with Hitler. Considering how old the Express readership is I'm wondering if this one will backfire! No they're probably convinced immigrants are worse than Hitler by now, at least Adolf gave us work!!!

That Rowson one is pretty nightmarish, Farage is going full cobra

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
:lol: Meanwhile at the Sunday Times

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Cameron is a puffed-up fool who appeals to old men and well-connected sorts to defend against a threat which will never actually overrun Britain?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

N-no!!! The doctors are coming! We shall fight them on the beaches

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I quite like the Times one, and I bet that bastard has a framed copy of it on the wall of his illegally funded cow shed first thing in the morning.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

SedanChair posted:

So less than 150,000 residents combined in a country with a population of over 60 million? The low numbers made me look at the rankings of the nationalities of foreign born people in the UK and there are 21 nationalities ahead of Romanian and 35 nationalities ahead of Bulgaria.

How does this get any play as an issue, and why these two nationalities singled out?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cafel posted:

How does this get any play as an issue, and why these two nationalities singled out?

Same reason Poles were. They're migrating freely around the EU, they speak a different language, work hard and PUT HONEST BRITS OUT OF THERE JERBS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

SedanChair posted:

Ahahaha man is it just me or is Thomas stepping up his game?

No fox, no bird, and a badger that consists of three lazy lines somewhere in the Netherlands? The man's slipping.

• Locked thread