Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

MadJackMcJack posted:

When I played Dark Souls I got invaded a grand total of once, and never managed to find anyone to invade, even after both joining that forest covenant and dicking around in the forest as a human.

And then along comes The Bell Keepers Jesus Christ I had to take the ring off as I was getting summoned every 10 seconds (that's not hyperbole, I would literally get back to my world and be summoned straight away). And setting foot into the area? How am I supposed to progress when I'm invaded every minute? Is that area even required to progress, or can I ignore it?

I can also see why people are hating the hexes. One guy who invaded me was using them, and he killed me in two shots using some big ball of death spell :argh:

What level are you? I've been wearing the ring for the better part of an hour and nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I've got over 100 chunks of titanite but I can't stop defending the belltower, its too much fun.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

Once you find the bonfire with the trader in the forest, go upstairs and smash down the door. You can find the first co-oping item (small white soapstone) in there :)

The normal white soapstone is in the forest, too.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Jose posted:

How far into the game do I get the things to do co-op? I'm just running around dying in forest of fallen giants as I get used to only having a crappy dagger and soul arrow

If you've made it to the cardinal tower bonfire in FoFG, the merchant hag in there sells a key that opens the blacksmith that sells a few better weapons. She also sells a second soul arrow scroll and a couple weapons of her own, which is handy. Upstairs in the bonfire room is a small white soapstone you can get to by breaking the door. The regular one is later on in the level from an npc.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

NamePolice posted:

Is there a chart anywhere that shows recommended SM for each area?

There kind of isn't one. People are doing areas at just about any SM, since the order in which you do the areas comes down to personal choice. I'd imagine at around 1 mil SM you'll find less people to co-op with in general if you aren't doing the late-game areas.

edit: vvvv you should get a controller

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

What is the "details" key for the keyboard? I want to examine items in a shop but have no idea how. It is a blue X button. Which shockingly, is not on my keyboard!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Pwnstar posted:

I've got over 100 chunks of titanite but I can't stop defending the belltower, its too much fun.

I can't stop backing up bell invaders and killing bell cops like you :smug:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
All of the proactive invasion based pvp (blue/red) is all dependant on the covenant of blood. The only way to get cracked red eye orbs in NG is by winning 1v1 duels at the undead purgatory. Once someone has invaded and killed 10 hosts they are labelled as a sinner. Only when that happens can blue sentinels can invade and if they kill the host, the host loses one point of sin.

There are practically no invasions in NG because the amount of effort required to get the cracked red orbs is more than the measly reward you get for killing the host. Fromsoft wanted more multiplayer interaction in DS2 but at the same time completely destroyed red phantom invasions until NG+

If there's no red phantom invasions there's no sin
If there's no sin there's no blue sentinels
If there's no blue sentinels the way of the blue is rendered useless

Also levelling the covenant of blood is completely rear end backwards. If you lose an invasion you can actually go into negative progress. Also losses from duels and invasions stack and the wins don't stack so you basically have to be some kind of pvp dark souls savant god with a 200%+ winrate otherwise you will never level up.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

NamePolice posted:

Is there a chart anywhere that shows recommended SM for each area? I'm Sunbroing at Old Iron King right now and I have a SM of 900k. I've heard there's a door that opens when you get 1M SM and I don't want to skip a significant of the game because of that, since I still only have one Great Soul from the Lost Sinner.

You don't have to open that door though! just do whatever.

I did a ton of summons for that boss and still get summoned quickly at over a million SM. You'll probably be able to get summoned at least for the four big bosses for a while yet.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

It's kind of sad watching the game through the eyes of Kay. She was a great LPer in that she had the perfect mindset for the game but listening to her now, something tells me this is going to be a disappointing LP for her.

"Ooh torches! I wonder if I'll have to fight in the dark?!"

"Oh I wonder if you have to take fire from one bonfire to the next, that would be awesome"

"Why can't I jump attack, whats wrong with my controller?"

:smith:

She always notices poo poo that you miss. It's like those skeletons in the field at the beginning of the game where those goblin monkey things are. She saw the skeletons as a flag for "agressive trap thing" but there isn't there's no trap. There is literally no reason for those skeletons to be there.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So the spitter things in black gulch will poison you even if you're an invader. That place is miserable even when you're trying to be an rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: Everytime I invade someone they all have top tier gear and they take no damage from my attacks. This soul memory system sure is cool :geno:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 27, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Sex Robot posted:

She always notices poo poo that you miss. It's like those skeletons in the field at the beginning of the game where those goblin monkey things are. She saw the skeletons as a flag for "agressive trap thing" but there isn't there's no trap. There is literally no reason for those skeletons to be there.

There is a reason. They're there to tell you not to gently caress with those monkey things. I did the first time and nearly died.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

What level are you? I've been wearing the ring for the better part of an hour and nothing

About 55-60 I think. No idea about my Soul Memory.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

Wow, the misty area of the shaded woods is some other level of asshattery

Talking head owns though :3:

I thought the ghosts that run around there might be other players because one of them acted somewhat like a real player would. Sadly they aren't. Would be a great idea for a pvp zone though.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Man, Velstadt was quite the fight :stare:

So I've killed the Throne Watcher/Defender, where do I go from here? There's a door with a chasm I clearly can't reach and I still haven't seen the area with all the dragons from the trailers.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lugaloco posted:

So I've killed the Throne Watcher/Defender, where do I go from here? There's a door with a chasm I clearly can't reach and I still haven't seen the area with all the dragons from the trailers.

There are other places you can use the King's Ring

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lugaloco posted:

There's another area from the Shaded Wood crossroads that requires the King's Ring.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah PvP in this game is awful. Being a dickwraith isn't any fun now. Even when you do get a fair fight, the hit detection in this game is so awful you'll get hit by poo poo you clearly dodge and you have no way to heal so it favors the host massively. And since everyone is a loving coward you can't use the environment to your advantage either.

EDIT: I mean I got hit by a sunlight spear that hit an enemy ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROOM. Come the gently caress on.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 27, 2014

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Hakkesshu posted:

Have you fought the Looking Glass knight in Drangleic castle?

Yep.

Noxville posted:

There's another area from the Shaded Wood crossroads that requires the King's Ring.

Ah! That must be it then, I faintly remember a door requiring something else to open it.

badguyfromthegame
Jan 23, 2014

Jose posted:

How far into the game do I get the things to do co-op? I'm just running around dying in forest of fallen giants as I get used to only having a crappy dagger and soul arrow

You'll have to go further into the area and help out the man who's sitting near the archway straight ahead of you.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Alan Smithee posted:

I can't stop backing up bell invaders and killing bell cops like you :smug:

You can kill me but thousands more will take my place :smug:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I know I'm late to the party here, but really? I can't compare equipment in a shop screen? REALLY?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I will get Adp up to 12-14 regardless, but if I do a shield tanking build, it won't be my focus for a while. If I do a Dex/dodge build, I'll take Adp to 20 ASAP.

Basically, I'm SL47-ish and have one respec available. I'm in No-Man's Wharf, so I don't really want to increase my SL much higher, otherwise I'm probably going to have issues with summoning. The question is more "what do I spend my points on right now" than anything else.

i don't think SL has any effect on summoning/invading this time from what i've been hearing, its worked out through soul memory.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah PvP in this game is awful. Being a dickwraith isn't any fun now. Even when you do get a fair fight, the hit detection in this game is so awful you'll get hit by poo poo you clearly dodge and you have no way to heal so it favors the host massively. And since everyone is a loving coward you can't use the environment to your advantage either.

EDIT: I mean I got hit by a sunlight spear that hit an enemy ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROOM. Come the gently caress on.

Dickwraithing is bad for business. We're trying to diversify the audience here brah. People losing makes them feel bad and people who feel bad won't buy DLC.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I just got into the belltower and just barely killed my first invader. The 2nd one wrecked me with some magic attack thing (I know nothing about sorcery in dark souls games, I always like just using swords and shields :black101:). So I went to give it another go while hallowed, not knowing that you can still get invaded then. One invades me with that big honking greatsword, but mistimes his parries and I get him down just as I get invaded again by another sorcerer with that devastating magic attack. Except this time I dodged it and got in his face with my Drangleic sword and destroy him in 3 swings.

This is really is a lot of fun. Can you leave a summoning sign somewhere to help people invading the belfry?

e:

Pwnstar posted:

Wait, this is the reward what you get for becoming a bellbro? I might need to become a bellbro...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Jose posted:

Can I have 2 copies of soul arrow equipped at once if I have an attunement slot free?

Yup! You get double the uses of Soul Arrow or any spell by having an extra one equipped.

I've been playing around with a Dual Caestus build in the bell tower and I've gotta say, a lot of people can't handle the hyper-offensiveness that comes with being a rad boxer. :allears:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Logan 5 posted:

I just got into the belltower and just barely killed my first invader. The 2nd one wrecked me with some magic attack thing (I know nothing about sorcery in dark souls games, I always like just using swords and shields :black101:). So I went to give it another go while hallowed, not knowing that you can still get invaded then. One invades me with that big honking greatsword, but mistimes his parries and I get him down just as I get invaded again by another sorcerer with that devastating magic attack. Except this time I dodged it and got in his face with my Drangleic sword and destroy him in 3 swings.

This is really is a lot of fun. Can you leave a summoning sign somewhere to help people invading the belfry?

e:

Wait, this is the reward what you get for becoming a bellbro? I might need to become a bellbro...

You can put down a summon sign to help people yeah. And you get a titanite chunk for every successful kill as a bellbro as well as the rank rewards.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It has a pretty small swing radius but the barbed club you can trade a Flexible sentry soul for is pretty amazing. At max level its a +10 Mace with 10 more damage and another 100 of bleed damage.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I know the covenant of champions prevents you from ever summoning help, but can you still put down your sign and help another bro out? Does it actually make the game an extra NG+ harder, or was that rumor mill?

I kind of want to try it because I don't really like summoning help, but I love being summoned :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Konjuro posted:

Did they change parrying in any significant way? By the time I was done with DS1 I felt like the god-king of parrying, but in this game I can't seem to parry anything reliably.

For whatever reason I can't parry for poo poo in DS1 but I can parry like 80% of the time in DS2. The riposte fucks me up tho, you have to wait like a second and a half for them to fall down or you just smack em normally.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Ciaphas posted:

I know the covenant of champions prevents you from ever summoning help, but can you still put down your sign and help another bro out? Does it actually make the game an extra NG+ harder, or was that rumor mill?

I kind of want to try it because I don't really like summoning help, but I love being summoned :v:

Nope, the soapstone is greyed out for you.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Is it possible to go hybrid in this game? e.g. Be a sword and shield kind of guy with a little magic on the side? Or is it best to focus on one thing aka magic only, or melee only?

I'm getting my butt kicked by the giants in Heide's Ruin and am wondering if getting soul arrow was a bad idea.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Sex Robot posted:

Dickwraithing is bad for business. We're trying to diversify the audience here brah. People losing makes them feel bad and people who feel bad won't buy DLC.

Lol at your posting.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
What? Blue Man Group is evolving!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Please don't summon white phantoms, and then make leaps of faith for poo poo you haven't collected yet :psyduck:

I've been summoned so many times just to watch a host jump off a cliff to their death after several minutes of going through the level. This is the one scenario where I miss GFWL because I can't message them about how much they suck and how they should die in a fire.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
How the gently caress can you possibly resist jumping after an unclaimed item? It just... it calls to me...

I think it is you who sucks, sir.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Please don't summon white phantoms, and then make leaps of faith for poo poo you haven't collected yet :psyduck:

I've been summoned so many times just to watch a host jump off a cliff to their death after several minutes of going through the level. This is the one scenario where I miss GFWL because I can't message them about how much they suck and how they should die in a fire.

According to this Reddit post you can at least see their profile. Depending on their settings you'd have to send them a friend request to chat with them but you're not entirely cut off from talking to them.

Happyloony
Oct 19, 2012
Is it worth using the Pharros Lockstone under the Servant's Quarters?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Happyloony posted:

Is it worth using the Pharros Lockstone under the Servant's Quarters?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How the gently caress can you possibly resist jumping after an unclaimed item? It just... it calls to me...

I think it is you who sucks, sir.

The biggest offender so far was in the Copse, at the bridge to the Chariot there's a body with some loot to the side. At the veeerrry end of the level.

Of course, getting there and collecting the loot is no problem. Jumping back? No one can ever do it. They always die. You never get those minutes back.