Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

picturing a neo nazi MC hammer now thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
my ham plate came lol. disappointed it's not stamped tho

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

if when i get my license i'll only get a callsign plate once my car looks like a porcupine

headed up to a ham radio festival in new hampshire next month, now with a very slightly better understanding of some of the crazy poo poo people have up there

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nice, hamfests are a lot of fun.

DO NOT EAT HAMFEST FOOD. there will be a concessions stand. if u value ur intestinal flora, avoid

Get there early, do a sweep and maybe take notes of hot stuff. circle back around, snag anything that might move fast, leave your low-priority stuff. Do another round in the early afternoon as they're sitting there looking at the table of unsold stuff they have to pack up, and lowball the rest of the crap u want.

--

i love this thread so much and want to keep contributing, but i'll be honest - we are getting really close to the move time and I do not have any attention to play radio right now. this is temporary and i will keep posting and chatting as I can, but for right now, i'm taking antennas down not putting them up.

Lets get me to colorado where they have a relatively huge diy/tinker community (sparkfun is there IIRC) and we will blow this poo poo up

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Nice, hamfests are a lot of fun.

DO NOT EAT HAMFEST FOOD. there will be a concessions stand. if u value ur intestinal flora, avoid

Get there early, do a sweep and maybe take notes of hot stuff. circle back around, snag anything that might move fast, leave your low-priority stuff. Do another round in the early afternoon as they're sitting there looking at the table of unsold stuff they have to pack up, and lowball the rest of the crap u want.

hahaha christ jonny i think you're more gung-ho for this than i am and you arent even going

i've actually been to this fest before, its fun to gawk at weird poo poo and weird people, and theres usually a good amount of non-radio stuff for sale. got a great deal on a brand new UPS a few shows ago, and my friend bought himself a goddamn SGI octane. food isn't an issue, its held on fairgrounds with some half-decent vendors, no sketchy ham radio roach coaches or whatever

and yo post what u want when u can, who cares no big deal, post some radio gaga and radio blahblah no need for constant effort posts, rig photos, experiments, and whatnot

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Hamfests usually also have fun non-ham poo poo that you can have felonious amounts of fun with.

Also if you want to do satcom stuff, quit jacking around and buy an arrow II + tripod. 10w if you want to use the duplexer, but you can bump it up to 150watts without if you've got 2 radios.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
can you set that tripod up where you can flip it back and forth between polarizations, or do you just leave it fixed?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The tripod has a little plate that can rotate 90 degrees to swap polarization. It was designed as a handheld antenna that you could rotate as needed, so the tripod is definitely not using it as intended but whatever, works for me.

edit: when you move to CO, if you do any summit activations it'd be a great antenna for you. Breaks down in half length-wise, and all the elements screw out, so it'd be easy to rollup and strap to your back.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 18, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

blugu64 posted:

The tripod has a little plate that can rotate 90 degrees to swap polarization. It was designed as a handheld antenna that you could rotate as needed, so the tripod is definitely not using it as intended but whatever, works for me.

edit: when you move to CO, if you do any summit activations it'd be a great antenna for you. Breaks down in half length-wise, and all the elements screw out, so it'd be easy to rollup and strap to your back.

haha I used to have the same tripod for camera purposes and it's garbage for that

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
so far im loving the IC-W2E, it's been opened for full band tx/rx (probably used for commercial radio by the previous owner)
it's a nice solid construction, fairly simple design, measured the sensitivity to 0.15uV, just what the spec says too, and it came with the UT-69 subtone encoder/decoder board

after the first disassembly the LCD stopped working right, so had to open it all the way up and remove the dreaded zebra strip connector and clean them, then i had to clean the pads on the PCB, now it works perfectly

gonna try putting in a third party rotary encoder since my cleaning effort on the old encoder failed and it still only reliably goes up, i think the actual encoder disk may be mechanically broken instead of just dirty, i might do a post mortem on the old one when i replace it

as a bonus the new encoder i ordered also has a push-button, i might be able to wire it up as a on/off button or something

IC-F110s also worked perfectly except for being covered in a salty dust, insides are spotless so a good clean is all they need, speaker is magnificently clear and loud, and it's oh so adorably cute and small
i do wish it had a vfo mode, but them's the breaks when buying commercial rigs

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

my ham plate came lol. disappointed it's not stamped tho

This took like 2 months to straighten out with TxDOT.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Stereotype posted:

Here is a fun list of cooler antennas than dipoles and quarter-wave stuff.

http://www.antenna-theory.com/antennas/main.php

We just started using something like a log-periodic spiral antenna and it looks like it is from the future

this is a useful website ty

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

blugu64 posted:

This took like 2 months to straighten out with TxDOT.

i wish there was a 0 in my callsign they look dope on the plates w/ the slash thru them. it def took the lady a minute to get it into the system right but it came within a week or so.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

longview posted:

so far im loving the IC-W2E, it's been opened for full band tx/rx (probably used for commercial radio by the previous owner)
it's a nice solid construction, fairly simple design, measured the sensitivity to 0.15uV, just what the spec says too, and it came with the UT-69 subtone encoder/decoder board

I had an icom 2SRA which is one half of a W2 with an R1 on the other side. wonderful radio and I miss it to this day. Power connector shat out and i was a lazy irresponsible dork and sold it for peanuts.

Still on the hunt for another 2SRA. as far as i know it's the world's only mass production dual antenna HT

NEWS:

They're building an HF ionospheric research station near Arecibo. Think HAARP but different areas and size. http://www.arrl.org/news/view/haarp-like-ionospheric-research-project-underway-at-arecibo-observatory

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

I had an icom 2SRA which is one half of a W2 with an R1 on the other side. wonderful radio and I miss it to this day. Power connector shat out and i was a lazy irresponsible dork and sold it for peanuts.

Still on the hunt for another 2SRA. as far as i know it's the world's only mass production dual antenna HT

NEWS:

They're building an HF ionospheric research station near Arecibo. Think HAARP but different areas and size. http://www.arrl.org/news/view/haarp-like-ionospheric-research-project-underway-at-arecibo-observatory

whats so special about PR i wonder

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PuTTY riot posted:

whats so special about PR i wonder

its cause arecibo

quote:

Rather than rebuild that installation, the new instrument will use the observatory’s 1000 foot dish

iirc you awnt at least a 10 wavelength diameter dish for effective performance. so this means that they have an antenna that can HAARP down to as low as 10 mhz.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

its cause arecibo

iirc you awnt at least a 10 wavelength diameter dish for effective performance. so this means that they have an antenna that can HAARP down to as low as 10 mhz.

but thats the high end of haarp :confused:

Zap!
May 15, 2002

Nuts.
just want to say thanks for mentioning Silent Key in this thread cause it is an amazing podcast.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
got back from vacation and the HM-148 is here

my hands are actually pretty big, the HM-148G is enormous though

in the upper right corner of the yosham-station

one thing i like is that icom used normal spade connectors for the power on these models, so no need for custom cabling, there's no fuse because i run the station off a normal psu with short circuit protection built in

e: and the commercial rigs have ridiculously good speakers, i can turn it up to ear splitting levels and it still doesn't distort

longview fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 24, 2014

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
first radio club event tmw. helping w/ a 5k/10k. also learned one of my old college profs is a ham. makes sense actually.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Little bitty update - got a cheap usb to serial adapter FINALLY so i can

a: control my big icoms
b: PC program my icom 208
c: control my pcr-100

i forgot how nice the pcr100 is. SDR is cool but man, that instant tuning with no CPU load or anything is really nice. Spectrum scope is stone-age (you put the radio in 'spectrum scope' mode and tell it the center frequency and step, and it just spits out these long number strings that give relative signal strength for each step) but it has solid performance and there's no overload or intermod from FM or pagers

e: also i discovered PCRAnywhere which has SUCH a nicer gui than trunkpcr and isn't nagware

compare

vs

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 27, 2014

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cool skeueuemorphism

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
trunkpcr has hardcoded always on hotkeys

shift-S is "scan"

so if you're editing a channel and need to type a capital S, if you have any banks enabled it instantly starts scanning, like mid-edit
if you don't it pops up a big old school windows error box YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY SCAN GROUPS ENABLED and of course its not set up where you can just tab space to hit OK

it's so bad

Kontour
May 21, 2008

Miracle Blade Baby!
so i passed my test woop woop

i'm having real trouble finding a reasonably priced transceiver around here though, and i leave on sunday for the bush, so unless i get real lucky when i'm up in darwin or something i don't think i'll have a rig for this year at least

picked up a couple of baofeng handhelds to play with though and i'm super impressed with how good they are

been listening to local repeaters while i wait for my callsign to come through, hams are some boring rear end people but goddamn if i'm not addicted

stupid question but how exactly do you work out what ctcss code a repeater is using? i was under the impression that they periodically send out a cw number but in listening to various ones around here for a few hours i've heard maybe three cw calls

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
congrats

ctcss codes are usually listed on the respective group home-page, though in some countries they're assigned by region, some may also respond to DTMF codes to open but i haven't found any standard codes to use
what's annoying with all the local repeaters is they don't send their own tones out when opened (instead they use 1750 tones), and don't require it for input when activated so i can't set a tone squelch until they make continuous tones a requirement (apparently coming next year)

obviously one way to do it is to just try each one in succession, that's actually how i worked out the one in my home town (they don't list it on the web page, everyone just sort of knows it)
seems like most tones are below 110 Hz because some people claim to hear a hum with higher ones

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
last night i did a simple thing that i should have learned how to do long ago - external AM antennas

5 turns of magnet wire on the unoccupied end of the internal ferrite core

one end to ground in the radio
other end is the antenna terminal

i connected my 70 foot long wire and the AM band EXPLODED. seriously i could get a station every 10k between 700 and 1300, just about

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
jonny did u say u made a radioref csv scraper?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, let me see if i can knock the dust off of it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
will it let me stuff talk groups into unitrunker because if so I wasted like two hours

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

atomicthumbs posted:

will it let me stuff talk groups into unitrunker because if so I wasted like two hours

jonny owns lol

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
decided to try getting the spare F110 running as a DV hotspot, so i built my own version of the OPC-617 cable:

i built the cable with a few pairs of teflon coated TP and RG-174 for the AF in/out, making an actual header would have cost more than buying the icom cable so i soldered the connections

feed through into a ferrite with some shrink tube magic

finished result

unfortunately there's something that isn't right here because my signal is supposed to look like this:

but it looks like this:

it looks like a ~100 Hz ripple pattern that is enough to cause real problems with the decoding, it might come from an external ground loop, or it could be coming from the mic+ctcss section of the transmitter, i'll have to do a bit of scope work at a later time to track it down properly

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i wont let this thread die, so i did a bunch of work on my antenna rig:

R770 mobile whip and the mini whip i built

secondary 2m/70 antenna for the hotspot, ordered some M150 stainless steel whip antennas to replace this, mostly because stainless steel blends in better

1090 MHz fr24 receiver along with the wireless GPS for my ~VFD clock~ inside that box fed by a 6 meter USB cable (#yolo), a good use for one of the small SDR dongles i had lying around
antenna is fed via RG-405 cabling and attached with SMA connectors using a special bracket i soldered up and held in place with two kinds of tape

after i took the last picture i built a small GP from some more '405, it looks more fancy and performs slightly better than the SMA805S antenna i had before

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
dielectric left on what, just for stealth?

i like your little micro antenna farm a whole lot. i expect i will have to do some similar stuff when we get our new place

i love being an antenna ninja, i've had HF/VHF/UHF up at every residence ive had for 13 years, be it an apartment complex, rent house or my own

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
i used RG-59 center conductors, it's mostly just :effort:

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
Just finished reading this thread, bought a technician license manual, will hopefully be on the air in a month or two. The antenna design you guys are doing is really awesome. Requesting more pictures of antennas!

Thanks for inspiring!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

there's a hamfest in manassas next month that i might go to. i'm not sure it's really worht it, though, since i get basically no signal in my apartment as i live in a garden level (read: basement) of a rowhouse, so the brick blocks basically everything.

the good news it that the brick blocks basically everything including neighboring sounds, so i can run my tv and stereo basically as loud as i want. i guess i could figure out a way to set up a stealth antenna somewhere

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
I have a dumb question about QRP, like in the video on the first page of the guy from England talking to Kentucky. I get that he is using very low power to transmit, but for receiving, is the US operator just pushing a lot more power, or is the UK operator listening in on a repeater or something?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i passed my technician exam yesterday as well

i had form #219 :tinfoil:

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

what is the current babby's first ham set, particularly one that is easily interfaced/controlled with a pc

i have a technician license from like 8 years ago that i havent used in a while and im about to jump back in.

main goal is weather emergency use so i will also be getting a handheld first/eventually

also want to make a numbers station just bc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

also whats up with the #hamgoon its dead and has been for 3+ years is there a replacement

• Locked thread