Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012
B. Juns before Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meander
Apr 1, 2010

B... Jun deserves someone "super".

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

BlazeEmblem posted:

A

He is a bit too strait-laced for Homura.

This, A.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nondevor posted:

Since Homura is Akane's best friend, we should hook up our bro with her and we can all hang out together! B.

Takumi? Who's that?

The problem with this is that to get Jun to hook up with her we have to make her hate us.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Mors Rattus posted:

The problem with this is that to get Jun to hook up with her we have to make her hate us.

Can't we just have everyone else like us more? Which I'm guessing isn't too hard if you never meet Homura past her intro and hang out with the rest of the characters.

Although an accidental forever alone ending for the second time would be kinda funny.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nondevor posted:

Can't we just have everyone else like us more? Which I'm guessing isn't too hard if you never meet Homura past her intro and hang out with the rest of the characters.

Although an accidental forever alone ending for the second time would be kinda funny.

I was originally going to vote for A because I didn't want Goon to have to be mean to Homura, but I can live with this. B: Homura for the sake of team awesome!

Bookworm
Apr 22, 2014
A double date with Jun and Homura sounds amazing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
B because they'd be hilarious together.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Man, Jun was in super bro mode this update. A bro like him deserves nothing less than the best.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
It's probably a formality at this point but there is no doubt that the only choice is B

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Finally got my PSP hooked up to the Playstation Network, and I realized I had about 1700 yen left over from last time I bought something with a PSN card. Grabbed TokiMemo 2 among other things, looks like I'll be playing along from now on.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Voting for Kaedeko, A

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
B. Bash bros look out for each other.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Oh, why argue with perfection. B it is.

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that

kissekatt posted:

On that note, can Jun and Takumi fall for the same girl? I assume no, but it would be neat if they could.

A, and I too am really curious about this possibility

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
B. Guy needs someone to balance out his seriousness.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Going with B.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You actually get little sports meets! Huh. Do they do anything to your stats, win or lose?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

CandyCrazy posted:

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Kaedeko moves away at the end of the first year. How does that work with Jun or Takumi trying to woo her?

I mistimed this slightly - Kaedeko moves away in the middle of 2nd year, otherwise Jun would never have a chance to fall for her.

Glazius posted:

You actually get little sports meets! Huh. Do they do anything to your stats, win or lose?

They're more stat checkpoints than stat builders. They let you know if you're on track to do well at the various national/regional tournaments that come every year, which affect your popularity and the ending.

Fang Blade Havoc
Jun 8, 2011

Luke what are you doing, stop that

vibratingsheep posted:

They're more stat checkpoints than stat builders. They let you know if you're on track to do well at the various national/regional tournaments that come every year, which affect your popularity and the ending.

I know in the Girl's Side games, sports competition win/losses are determined by how many times you've successfully performed the club activity, like say the first semester have you done it 20 times, then the next semester 50, or something along those lines. Is that how it works here? Obviously a ton has changed in terms of mechanics from one game to the next, much less from the firstmost games to the Nintendo DS ports I've played, but I get super curious about the ways things work differently. Like not having a money system at all, and thus no part-time jobs! Virtually every character works somewhere in GS, it's like a secondary way to get +1s from daily activities with someone.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Akane route, chapter 2: Jumping on the grenade

7/6: The art of being a jerk

In order to make Jun's life easier, Goon will have to harden his heart and be a jerk to someone in order to ensure an easy road for his bro - something that solidifies the current Goon's image as a noble delinquent. Here's a demonstration of just how that works.

Goon: (Time to head home and play games!)
Goon: Oh, it's Sakura-san.
Goon: Invite her to walk home with me.

This is the list of ways you can address Kaedeko. They are:
Sakura | Kaedeko | Manager
Sakura-san | Kaedeko-san
Sakura-chan | Kaedeko-chan

Sakura-san is the only thing she'll let you call her at anything below friendly status - unless you're a member of the baseball team, in which case she lets you call her Manager. As she likes you more, she'll let you call her Sakura, Kaedeko-chan, and finally just Kaedeko.

Goon: Manager!
Kaedeko: Um, uh, I, I don't really like it when you call me that.
Kaedeko: Stop it.
Goon: Oh--
Goon: (Hmm, that went pretty poorly.)

This is a simple and time-saving way to make girls dislike you - however, it's unreliable and RNG-based, so you still have to supplement things with awkward dates and awful birthday presents. Unless it's Miho, who appears after school about twice as often as any other character.

If Homura wins the Bro Poll, we'll have to spend a lot of time calling her Akai-chan or Homura-chan and seeing her angry face. That should be interesting.

7/11: Karaoke with Akane

Usual pleasantries skipped - this screenshot is included to show you the front shot of Akane's Beng-penpenpen shirt, which isn't very visible on rainy days.

Akane: What do you usually sing?
Option 1: The kind of enka that makes your soul shake, of course.
Option 2: Hmm, I guess I sing anime theme songs the most.
Option 3: Obviously, it's a parade of top hits.

This one's a bit ambiguous as to which one's the best one, but we can make some assumptions based on Akane's best friend Homura.

Goon: Hmm, I guess I sing anime theme songs the most.
Akane: If you pick ones from when I was a kid, I can sing along with you.
Akane: Ooh, do you know Super Soldier Dragon?
Goon: (Looks like I made a great impression!)

7/12-7/16: Midterms

I had to reload twice because I forgot to account for both midterms and the required Kendo practice day, meaning that we missed an opportunity to see Akane's yukata.

RELOAD COUNT: 5, 6

A side effect of reloading was better scores on Goon's midterms. Goon might be a bruiser, but he's no dummy.

Goon: Not bad, I guess.

73rd: Fudou Gunma
93rd: Sakaki Takumi
97th: Hokari Jun'ichirou
104th: Hinomoto Hikari
144th: Minazuki Kotoko
189th: Sakura Kaedeko
206th: Ichimonji Akane

7/22: Meet Miyuki

While this wasn't intended, it also wasn't very avoidable over the course of this run. Goon needs to build his General Knowledge stat to access higher levels of healing magic, and Miyuki (like so many other girls in this game) is pretty low-maintenance in general, so it's better to bite the bullet and meet her instead of trying to sneak all of the Hang Out with Friends activities over precious weekends and vacation time.

7/25: Ennichi with Akane

Goon: (I wonder if Ichimonji-san is gonna be here soon...)

Akane: Thanks for waiting!
Goon: Hey, Ichimonji-san.
Akane: Did I keep you waiting for long?
Goon: I just got here myself.
Akane: Good. Okay, let's get a move on!
Goon: Sure.

Akane: Hehehe, it's been a long time since I wore a yukata.
Akane: How's it look?
Option 1: It suits you really well, you look cute.
Option 2: That yukata looks really good, the pattern's great.
Option 3: There's a huge gap between it and your regular look.

Dating game 101: Unless something weird is in play, tell the girl she looks cute and tell the guy he looks cool.

Goon: It suits you really well, you look cute.
Akane: Th, thanks. Hehehe, it's nice to be complimented.
Akane: What do you want to do?
Goon: Goldfish scooping.

Screw katanuki. Back to goldfish scooping!

Akane: Sure. Good luck, I'll be cheering you on!

Bam! Seven fish. I think I'm finally getting the hang of this mini-game.

Akane: Awesome! You're a pro at this.
Goon: (I did it!)

8/1: Status report

This is Goon's current status. Miyuki and Kotoko don't like him very much, while Akane's starting to warm up a little bit. Hikari is friendly as usual.

Kaedeko still likes Goon more than Miyuki and Kotoko do, which could be problematic.

This is Miyuki's profile, which I honestly don't remember including in a previous post but may very well have appeared already.

Kotobuki Miyuki
Born January 1st
Capricorn | Blood type O
Height: 155cm
Club: Tennis
MEMO: Really unlucky, but cheerful girl.
I see her having fun around town a lot.

We have six months from this point to make someone hate us more than Kotoko does. Challenge accepted - Juns before Goons!

8/16: Summer camp

Since no girls are in Kendo club, there aren't any particularly special scenes here. However, there are a couple things I'd like to point out.

One: Kendo is utter murder on the stamina stat. Goon dipped below 40 at the end of the week, and stamina dipping under 30 is instant sickness.

Two: peeking on the baths in Kendo club is the Tokimemo equivalent of playing Russian roulette with 6 bullets loaded in the cylinder. So, of course, the stream really really wanted me to do it. I didn't because Goon was already on the brink and I didn't want to tip him over the edge. I'll try and show it off another time, I guess (ominous music).

8/22: Amusement park date with Akane

Pleasantries and the Ferris wheel choice skipped

Akane: The Ferris wheel, huh?
Akane: I get the urge to ride this every once in a while.
Goon: Yeah, let's get in line.

Akane: That was a great view, wasn't it?
Option 1: All the people seem really tiny from up there.
Option 2: It's pretty fun seeing everything in miniature.
Option 3: To tell you the truth, I'm afraid of heights, so I didn't notice at all.

As tempting as it is to choose option 3, this is once again the Tokimemo Special, 2 good answers and one obviously bad one.

Goon: It's pretty fun seeing everything in miniature.
Akane: Yeah, it's pretty funny.
Akane: Being up there makes it seem so stupid to worry about the little things every day.

8/28: Fireworks with Akane

Goon: Hello, is this the Ichimonji residence?
Akane: Oh, hi Goon-kun. What're you calling about today?

The change of address to Goon-kun is a good sign - the chain combo system is in effect here and Akane likes Goon a lot more now than she did at the beginning of the month.

Goon: Want to go see the fireworks with me?
Akane: Whoa, you have great timing.
Akane: I got today off of work, so I was thinking about going myself.
Akane: Where should we meet up?
Goon: I'll wait for you at the riverside park.
Goon: Awesome! I should get over there quickly.

Akane: Goon-kun!
Goon: Hi, Ichimonji-san.
Akane: Hehehe, it's been a long time since I wore a yukata.
Akane: How is it?
Goon: It suits you really well, you look cute.

Yes, the second half is exactly the same as the Ennichi conversation. Since Akane reached a new affection level, her response changes, though.

Akane: Thanks. It's nice to be complimented.
Goon: Hey, it's starting soon.

Akane: Wow, how beautiful...
Option 1: You're quite the romantic, Ichimonji-san.
Option 2: Yeah, tonight's fireworks are especially gorgeous.
Option 3: Are you telling me you've never seen a fireworks show before?

The third option is temptingly hilarious, but that will have to wait for a run where we're trying to set Jun up with Akane.

Goon: You're quite the romantic, Ichimonji-san.
Akane: Y, you think so?
Akane: Wow, look at that!
Akane: I'm really glad we came today.

8/29: Status update

This call to Takumi was to get Kaedeko's number, but it points out a flaw in the current run's flow.

Meeting Homura's gonna be tough without either sleeping for a month or getting sick (she shows up at 110 stam or 25 stress, and at Goon's current 56 stam and 0 stress, and it'll be even tougher to make her hate Goon more than anyone else. This should be interesting! If Homura wins the poll and we have to meet her and make her hate our guts, we may have to reload and drive up Goon's stress as much as possible - possibly by peeking on Jun or Bakuretsuzan at kendo club summer camp!

Next time: Juns before Goons.

As a reminder, the Bro Poll is still going until Tuesday! C hasn't received a single vote yet, but who do you want Jun to end up with? Will we point him at the shy, retiring Kaedeko, who could use a steadying presence like Jun? Or will we invoke the wrath of Akai Homura, and send him like a moth to the flame?

Vote A for Kaedeko, and vote B for Homura. He's so money, and he doesn't even know it.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 1, 2014

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

kissekatt posted:

On that note, can Jun and Takumi fall for the same girl? I assume no, but it would be neat if they could.

I had to look this up - they never go for the same girl.

Fang Blade Havoc posted:

I know in the Girl's Side games, sports competition win/losses are determined by how many times you've successfully performed the club activity, like say the first semester have you done it 20 times, then the next semester 50, or something along those lines. Is that how it works here?

Pretty much the same system. It's not necessarily successes, but yeah, each opponent has a minimum club XP requirement to beat them - the first school (Tofu High) only requires 40, and the difficulty ramps up over time to the point where the 11th and last school requires 360 points.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Akane seems nice so far. I thought she was a gangster? Is her job for some Yakuza business or something? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The_Frag_Man fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Apr 28, 2014

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?
Let's go with A, since we've already started being a jerk.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Do Jun and Takumi 'know' what stat requirements they need to get the girls or does the game not alter their training pattern for that?

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
You can't tempt us with Homura's mad face and not show it! B.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
C, I think Kaori would suit him better.

I read that Jun gets very very dejected and emo if he goes after Madam Baseball, effectively quitting. You may wanna hook him up with Lady Suicide instead.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

I had to look this up - they never go for the same girl.

Oh, but they'll go after YOUR girl. :mad:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Catalina posted:

Oh, but they'll go after YOUR girl. :mad:

Well, Takumi will. If Jun does you've probably hosed up somewhere.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

The_Frag_Man posted:

Akane seems nice so far. I thought she was a gangster? Is her job for some Yakuza business or something? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Akane's route takes about a year to get rolling, which is fine by me because there is a lot of stat-building to do to be ready for it.

Mors Rattus posted:

Do Jun and Takumi 'know' what stat requirements they need to get the girls or does the game not alter their training pattern for that?

From what I know, they don't really deviate too much from their regular routines unless you pull them into doing something (IE they hang out with you during the week). Takumi tends toward hanging out and looking good, Jun tends toward kendo practice, and both of them do enough studying to keep themselves out of trouble.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
I'm gonna vote for Kaedeko.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
Voting for Kaedeko.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Getsuya posted:

Finally got my PSP hooked up to the Playstation Network, and I realized I had about 1700 yen left over from last time I bought something with a PSN card. Grabbed TokiMemo 2 among other things, looks like I'll be playing along from now on.
drat, someone how I got this far in the thread without it fully clicking that this is playable on PSP. I just found mine not too long ago, so, provided I can find the dang charger, I may have to restrain my (3DS-based) Monster Hunter obsession and make some time for TokiMeki 2. I've kind of fallen in love with the idea of the game and its cast through this thread, and hell, it'd be good Japanese practice if nothing else. I'm always happy whenever Sheep posts a screenshot and I can understand the entire text box. It doesn't happen often, but it feels like progress!

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Uhh, pair him with Homura. Hey, if Akane does have Yakuza ties like The_Frag_Man said (I have no idea if that's the case), it'll be only natural for Homura and Goon to become sworn enemies.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Akane route, chapter 3: Making enemies

With the realization that Homura needs to hate Goon by April 2000, it's time for a bit of a rewind and retool - Goon will need to have either high Stamina or high Stress by the end of summer vacation, and with a paltry 40 stam and 0 stress in the current save, it's time to do some rejiggering and rescheduling.

RELOAD COUNT: 7

Here are the things that went differently from last post:

-Goon never met Miyuki
-I drove up Goon's Stress stat by peeking in on Bakuretsuzan during kendo club summer camp

Screenshot included because it's 5:30 AM and I hate you guys.

-Goon went to the zoo instead of the amusement park with Akane on 8/22

8/22: Zoo date with Akane

Akane: Hey, what do you think about little winged insects?
Akane: Do you hate them? Do you like them?
Option 1: They're gross, I don't like them.
Option 2: I don't really care one way or the other.
Option 3: I like how grotesque they are.

Would you believe that the right answer is to say that you like 'em?

Goon: I like how grotesque they are.
Akane: Some people say it's grotesque, but I think it makes them look strong.
Akane: Like alligators or big lizards.
Goon: (Looks like I made a good impression.)

It feels like we've learned a lot about Akane with this simple little conversation.

8/29: Gave Akane the other answer at the fireworks show

Akane: Wow, how beautiful...
Goon: Yeah, tonight's fireworks are especially gorgeous.
Akane: I've never seen such a wonderful fireworks show before in my life.
Akane: I'm glad we could see this together.

And we're caught up to where we were last time. Onward... and downward!

9/1: Learn more about Jun

Goon: (Time to head home.)
Goon: Hey, it's Jun.

Goon: Jun!
Jun: Yo, you heading home?
Goon: Yeah, you wanna walk with me for a while?

Jun: Sorry. My sister asked me to help out at the store today, so I have to be home early.
Goon: Ah. Don't worry about it, I didn't have anything important to talk about or anything.
Goon: (What a dependable guy.)

Would it surprise you to know that Jun, who flees in confused terror from women who show an interest in him, has three older sisters? And that his family runs a flower shop? Yeah, I'm not surprised about how he turned out either.

9/10: Akane's birthday

Goon: Oh yeah, today's Ichimonji-san's birthday.
Goon: What should I give her?
Best option: A gift certificate
Good option: A stuffed kitty cat
Worst option: Perfume

You might be familiar with the Japanese proverb "Hana yori dango", or "dumplings are better than flowers" - as you can see, Akane vastly prefers things that will help her out in her daily life, as opposed to things that are pretty but useless.

Goon: (Is Ichimonji-san around?)
Goon: Hey, Ichimonji-san!
Akane: Oh hey, what's up?
Goon: Here's your birthday present. Open it up!

Akane: Wow, thanks!
Akane: You really know what I like.
Akane: I'll make good use of this.
Goon: (Good, it looks like she really liked it.)

Technically, she said she'll treasure it, but given that it's a gift certificate, it doesn't really make sense to translate it that way.

9/15: See Jun's holiday model

Screenshot included because first of all, Jun's a bro, and second of all, he appears to be in a barbershop quartet, because otherwise there's no explaining why he looks like a candy cane.

vibratingsheep posted:

Would it surprise you to know that Jun has three older sisters?

Okay, there's another explanation, but it's too horrifying to think about.

9/17: A brush with Justice

It took going down to 43 Stamina and up to 30 Stress to do it, but some mashing on the kendo club activity led to Goon oversleeping and running into the Homura event, early enough to make sure she hates Goon by the start of year 2.

I said that Goon was going to be a bit of a thug in this playthrough, and having a rivalry with Homura just emphasizes that.

9/19: The second kendo exhibition match

Jun came to cheer Goon on again. What a guy.

As a note, all of the schools you go up against in these sporting meets are named in a punny way. The first opponent is Tofu High, to represent their softness and low level. This one is Hatsuratsu High, which means Lively, so it's a bit less punny. To make up for it, the third opponent is named Third High.

Goon: I pulled out the win!

Jun's congratulatory dialogue is the same as before, too.

10/3: Invite Homura out on a date

Goon: Hello, is this the Akai residence?
Homura: Yeah, it is.
Goon: Oh, Akai-san? It's Fudou.
Homura: Oh, it's you.
Homura: I'm just getting to the good part in Go-Driller, so keep it short if you can.
Goon: Wanna go to to the amusement park with me on the 10th?
Homura: Yeah! I'll accept any invitation that sounds fun.
Goon: Okay, let's meet at the bus stop on that day.
Homura: Cool. Don't forget!
Goon: I won't be late. See you.
Goon: (Awesome!)

10/7: Mild fan service

Goon: Hey, Ichimonji-san. You have PE next period?
Akane: Yeah, it's the class I can relax the most in.
Akane: I look forward to this every week.
Akane: Later!
Goon: (Ichimonji-san definitely seemed really happy.)

10/10: Stand up Homura

Not only stand up Homura, but stand her up by calling her best friend and asking her out. It feels good to be a jerk sometimes.

Goon: There's a message on the machine.
Homura: It's me!
Homura: You should watch your back.
Homura: Next time I see you, I'm gonna make sure you pay for this!
Goon: Oh - oh crap!

This is a great way to lower Homura's affection, but it can't be abused too hard without creating a bomb that will only be diffused with a successful date - and since Homura is Akane's best friend, that'd really hamper the run as a whole. We're just going to have to get Kotoko and Kaedeko to like Goon more than Homura does - thankfully, they have birthdays coming up, which helps.

10/24: Mountain hike with Akane

Akane's winter outfit.

Akane: Wow, the whole place is all red.
Option 1: Yeah, it's just like a wildfire.
Option 2: Yeah, it looks really really angry.
Option 3: Yeah, it's like a heaping bowl of ikura-don.

Goon: Yeah, it's just like a wildfire.
Akane: Yeah! When the leaves dance in the wind, it's just like a flame.
Akane: It's like the mountain itself is burning.
Akane: Amazing...

Notably, Akane is now willing to walk halfway home with Goon and hang out some more.

10/26: Goon's birthday

Goon: Hey, Ichimonji-san. What's up?
Akane: Here - it's your birthday, right? Happy birthday.
Goon: Oh, thanks.
Akane: It's nothing big, so try not to build up your expectations too much, okay?
Goon: Hey, you remembered my birthday and you got me a present.
Goon: That alone is enough to make me happy.
Akane: Oh, you're overstating it.
Akane: I gotta go, later.

11/3: Culture festival

We haven't been able to see it in any of the other three runs because Goon has never been on a sports team, and has always had a concert, a play, or a science experiment on the day of the culture festival. But now, as a member of the kendo club, we get to see whatever we want with whoever we want!

Goon: (Today's the culture festival!)
Goon: What should I do?
Goon: Who should I do it with?
Option 1: Invite a girl
Option 2: Go it alone

The options are Hikari, Akane, Homura, and Kaedeko - the sports girls and the slackers. Kotoko runs a tea ceremony during the culture festival. The only option, of course, is to bring Akane.

Akane: Hey, what's up?
Goon: Do you want to go see some of the exhibits with me?
Akane: Yeah, sure. I don't have any plans, and it's pretty lonesome going by myself.
Goon: Cool, let's go.
Goon: (Where should we go?)
Option 1: Drama club
Option 2: Science club
Option 3: Concert band
Option 4: Tea ceremony

We've already seen the drama club in a previous run, and tea ceremony is about as interesting as watching grass grow, so let's see what the science club pulls!

Akane: Yay, a robot! We get to see a robot!
Goon: You seem pretty excited.
Akane: Uh-huh!
Goon: (I wonder what she's imagining will happen...)
Goon: Hey, looks like they're starting.

Club member: Thank you all so much for coming to see the science club's exhibit today!
Club member: And now, the Hibikino High School science club presents the results of our combined efforts.
Club member: Behold, the self-standing, self-propelled humanoid robot, HR-4!!
Club member: It... it stopped?

The sign behind the club member says "Humanoid robot bipedal motion experiment"

Club member: Enter the password for the emergency shutdown program!

Note: If Goon is a member of the science club, then he's at the console instead of this poor girl, and there's a quicktime event that controls how the rest of this scene goes, depending on if you input the correct password or not.

Club member: Whew...

Akane: So was that supposed to be impressive?
Goon: Sort of, I guess.
Akane: Hmmm, that was totally different from what I imagined.
Goon: What exactly did you imagine, Ichimonji-san?

Akane: Huh? Uh, I'll keep that to myself. It's embarrassing to say.
Goon: (It seems like she was expecting something way different from the real thing.)

Goon: So what did you think of the culture festival?
Akane: It felt way too short. It's the same feeling I get at the end of a festival.
Akane: Oh, right, that's why they call it the culture festival, huh?
Goon: (She's right about it feeling too short.)

11/4: Date with Akane

Akane: Koi always gather up when someone gets near, don't they?
Option 1: They're looking for food. Should we give them some?
Option 2: They're pretty friendly and cute, aren't they?
Option 3: They're all jumbled up and weird.

Goon: They're looking for food. Should we give them some?
Akane: Oh, you're right. Do you have anything you can give them?
Goon: (Looks like I made a pretty good impression.)

11/7: Status report

As of November, Hikari (of course) and Akane are both friendly, while Kotoko and Kaedeko still have the worst opinion of Goon. We'll need to get them past Homura to give Jun some room to work. Time to roll up those Goonsleeves and get to work.

11/14: Kaedeko's birthday

Best present: Knitting set
Good present: Romance novel
Bad present: Scale with body fat measuring capabilities

Kaedeko: Oh, hello. What's going on?
Goon: It's your birthday, isn't it, Sakura-san?
Goon: I got you a present.

Kaedeko: Wow! I've always wanted one of these!
Kaedeko: How'd you know?
Goon: (Good, it looks like she really liked it.)

Just a little more and she should be past the Homura Line.

11/28: Date with Kaedeko

The artists really went through a lot of effort to make Kaedeko seem tiny, even though she's a good 5cm taller than Homura is.

Kaedeko: This avenue is so wonderful - it always looks different every time I come here.
Option 1: It's just a bunch of big trees lined up next to each other.
Option 2: Yeah, you can enjoy it in any season!
Option 3: Really? It seems boring to me.

Goon: Yeah, you can enjoy it in any season!
Kaedeko: Right? I think it's the best for when you're taking a walk!

12/2: Kotoko's birthday

As in the previous run, we're going to give her the best present, the special tea.

And as in the previous run, you would have to use a microscope to tell the difference between her happy face and her bored face.

12/6-12/10: Midterms (results on 12/13)

12/12: Aquarium date with Kotoko

It took some coercing, but for once, Kotoko didn't just say "ask Hikari" when called on a date.

Kotoko: Don't you think sharks kind of resemble you a bit?
Option 1: Because they're brash and bold?
Option 2: Because they're fearsome?
Option 3: Because they bear themselves with dignity?

Kotoko, you ask the greatest questions.

Goon: Because they're fearsome?
Kotoko: You're not fearsome at all.
Kotoko: Just the opposite, you seem nice.
Kotoko: Well, compared to a shark, at least.
Goon: (Looks like I made a pretty good impression.)

You know what, I'll take that as a compliment coming from her.

12/13: Test results

Goon: Eh, not bad.

81st: Sakaki Takumi
88th: Hinomoto Hikari
96th: Hokari Jun'ichirou
102nd: Minazuki Kotoko
110th: Fudou Gunma
179th: Sakura Kaedeko
258th: Ichimonji Akane
298th: Akai Homura (not pictured)

12/19: Kendo exhibition match

Another day of Jun cheering Goon on, and another hard-fought win for Goon against Third High.

12/21: Walk home with Akane

Goon: Ichimonji-san!
Akane: Hey, what's up?
Goon: Want to walk home together?
Akane: Yeah, that's fine. But I have work soon, so I won't be able to hang out for too long.
Goon: Cool, let's go.

The first time Akane has had time to spare for Goon. Hurray!

12/24: Double date with Takumi, Hikari, and Kotoko

Taking the opportunity to get more time with Kotoko, but without triggering any of her events, it was 1 ride with Kotoko and 1 ride with Hikari.

1/1: New Year's Day

Goon: Hmm, it's the start of a new year.
Goon: Oh yeah, did I get any New Year's cards?
Goon: Let's see...

Akane's is the only new card this year; Hikari's, Jun's, and Takumi's cards are pasted Chapter 7 of the Maho run.

Goon: Here's Hikari's card. Yeah, I agree, it'd been seven years since we last met.

Happy New Year!
Last year was truly memorable because I was reunited with you.
Let's have a great year this year, too.
Hikari

Goon: This is Ichimonji-san's card. It feels powerful, just like her card should.

Wishing you fortune in the new year
Happy new year!

The top portion of Akane's card says "Kinga shinnen", which is a more formal way of saying happy new year.

Goon: Here's Takumi's card. It kinda feels like lip service.

Happy 2000.
Let's be nice to each other.
Thanks.
Sakaki Takumi

Goon: Here's Jun's card. It's a pretty curt greeting, but that's just like him.

Happy new year. Let's have a good year.
Hokari Jun'ichirou

Goon: (Alright, let's call Ichimonji-san.)
Goon: Hello, is this the Ichimonji residence?
Akane: Hey, Goon-kun. What did you want to talk about today?
Goon: Do you want to go to hatsumoude with me?
Akane: Yeah, I'll go! I was just thinking of going with someone.
Goon: Okay, I'll meet you in front of the torii.

Goon: Hi, Ichimonji-san.
Goon: Oh, hey, you're wearing a haregi today.
Akane: Y, yeah. What do you think?
Akane: It's my mom's, so it's kinda old.
Option 1: You look just like your mom, don't you?
Option 2: It suits you perfectly. You look cute.
Option 3: That's a really old haregi...

Goon: It suits you perfectly. You look cute.
Akane: N, no way... thanks.

Even with a dangerously low Stamina score, it's still worth wishing for academics over Stamina - Goon can recover stamina by sleeping during the week without complicating his social life, but studying is something he'll have to make the most of whenever he can.

Akane: Hey, are you just going to leave without pulling your fortune?
Goon: Oh yeah...
Goon: Alright, let's do it!
Akane: I thought so. Let's go.

Goon: Let's see, this year's luck is going to be...
Goon: Shoukichi (slightly good luck).
Goon: Well, at least it's on the good side.
Goon: (How did Ichimonji-san do?)

Akane: Hey, how's it looking?
Goon: Here, take a look. What about you?
Akane: I didn't pull one for myself.
Akane: I don't have the money to use on that. Just throwing a coin in the offering box was enough.
Goon: I, I see.
Goon: (She asked if I wanted to do it even though she couldn't do it herself - Ichimonji-san really does look out for other people.)

Akane: Thanks to you, this year's off to a great start.
Akane: Thank you.
Goon: No, thank you.
Akane: And again, happy new year.
Goon: Yeah, same to you.

Next time: Toughening up.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 1, 2014

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I like Akane a lot more than the Miho twins so far.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Akane's haregi looks pretty neat. Gotta love the two-tone effect.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

A girl who loves insects and wears vintage clothes. This run is going to be amazing. :swoon:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I know it's supposed to be traditional Japanese clothing, but the robe that Kotoko wears over her school uniform makes her look goony as gently caress. Like that's what she wears to bed and the rolls out in the morning without changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

inthesto posted:

I know it's supposed to be traditional Japanese clothing, but the robe that Kotoko wears over her school uniform makes her look goony as gently caress. Like that's what she wears to bed and the rolls out in the morning without changing.

I'm pretty sure that Winter Kotoko is a Swadloon.

• Locked thread