Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Alabaster White posted:

Lockstone conservation tips for paranoid scrubs: Every lockstone has some unique effect or item attached to it that's always worth getting, except in these circumstances: Rat area lockstones (these activate traps so unless you're in the Rat covenant, you're doubly loving yourself over) and lockstones with a square stone basin at the base of them (these activate a healing pool, which sounds nice, but are all in completely useless areas). Otherwise, go hog wild with your lockstones.
Are there enough lockstones for lockholes (barring the Rat convenant area)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Sober posted:

Are there enough lockstones for lockholes (barring the Rat convenant area)?

Yes and then some.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cardiovorax posted:

So after getting a few hours in and now being in front of the Bastille sentinels boss fight, I've started to form an opinion on DS2 and I've got to ask... does anyone else feel that Dark Souls 2 is just somehow less fair than Dark Souls 1 was?

My problem is, in Dark Souls 1 I always had the impression that the game was giving me an honest shot. There were tough situations, but you always got to assess what you were up against up front. I never felt like there were any cheap shots. When I died, I never felt that it wasn't my own fault for getting in over my head.

In Dark Souls 2, I have that feeling all the time. The biggest thing is that enemies aren't triggered by visual range anymore. I'll step through a door or into a corridor and a bunch of enemies that shouldn't even be able to see me yet will run up from half the level away and start converging on my location. With an annoying regularity, they'll even spawn in behind me from a location I've already cleared out.

There are also a lot of gauntlet-style thingies where I'll turn a corner or open a door just to be swarmed by a huge amount of enemies that were previously impossible to see, way more than the combat system is really suited for. The worst example so far must be the Royal Guards right before the Sentinel boss fight, because there's just a completely unprepossessing door and the moment you open it and step through, 8+ of them will just run up from offscreen and gang up on me in this tiny confined space with no warning at all, which is basically an instant kill I had no chance of doing anything about the first time around. It's really cheap and I don't like it at all.

So what I'd like to know is, does this keep up throughout the whole game and does it annoy everyone else as much as me? I'm not really sure I want to continue playing if the whole game is made up of cheap shots like that.

Enemies never spawn in behind you. If you're getting ambushed, that means something is hiding somewhere and you ran past without seeing it. I know on the way to the Bastille boss, there are several guys who are hiding in a room off that hallway that are easy to trigger.

With the guards in the room, you need to take them outside and get back on to the main pathway. Don't try to fight them in that tiny outdoor courtyard thing (yes you can leave it again once you enter). A lot of them will either fall off trying to follow or spread out into more manageable groups. You can also snipe at least one or two through the window if you're doing ranged.

Really that's kind of what it boils down to, you have to know where enemies are and strategize for it.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Were you a shade or a white phantom? You can only enter the boss room if you use a regular white soapstone, not the small one.

A page or two back but I don't think this is true.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kimmalah posted:

A little late, but there's a reason people are doing that. There's treasure and several chests in the lava that you can get to (and survive) with enough stacked fire defense. That's why Iron Keep has all those jugs full of water sitting around, so you can soak yourself in it. Obviously those people were trying this and didn't have enough fire defense. :v:

Off the top of my head I know there's a really good pyromancy, a shield and a bonfire ascetic in the lava.

Well, that's fine, but do that on your own time. When you summon phantoms to help you with a boss you don't go and loving deliberately kill yourself.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Facing three people when you invade despite not having a bullshit PVP build kinda saps any potential fun out of casual PVP :smith:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

Well, that's fine, but do that on your own time. When you summon phantoms to help you with a boss you don't go and loving deliberately kill yourself.

Oh I thought you were talking about the "ghosts" you see of people running around. It is pretty dumb to try while in co-op, I agree.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

On the whole I think bosses are a lot easier in this game, though it feels like there's way more of them. The areas themselves I've died less on but I have a harder time discerning whether that's just my having played the last two games over and over or not. Most of the traps are super obvious, but if you haven't played these games before maybe this isn't so. It just expects you to be cautious and rewards you for it.

warburg
Jan 9, 2007

When is the earliest I can get a staff? I'd really like to make a battlemage but all I've gotten so far is the crappy DLC one.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Umberger posted:

Using them solo is a bit difficult since you need to parry him and do so in the proper position. If you can pull it off it takes out something like 3/4 of his health in one hit.

That being said, Pursuer is really good practice for dodging and I'd really encourage people who are having trouble with him to keep at it until you figure out dodge timing. All of his attacks are fairly telegraphed, and if you screw up/get hit he gives you plenty of time to heal up.

Yeah I dropped my sign to help others with him and you're right - even in a group it takes some doing to get him lined up with their aim, and he likes firing off sword lasers to destroy them, anyway.

By the last attempt I could consistently dodge everything, but occasionally I'd mess up the timing on dodging his slash -> shield sweep combo, and I swear that thing ALWAYS hits if you dodge to the side or into him trying to avoid it. It came down to just executing perfectly because I had so little life more than one hit would always kill, and his curse impale was a one shot. I welcome the practice since the last souls game I played was Demon's Souls as a caster, and I barely had to even use my dodge button in that game.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

By the way, where is the armor on the cover of the game (the plate mail with shaggy fur on it)? I've been wanting to put it on.

Fairly late in the game actually. After you get to Drangleic Castle, there is a room with 6 doors guarded by stone, spear wielding knights. Kill one near a door to open it. Looking into the room from the "entrance", the room on the far left corner has a breakable floor which leads you to the armor set and one of the Abyssal covenant locations. It's called the Faraam set.

Cardiovorax posted:

So after getting a few hours in and now being in front of the Bastille sentinels boss fight, I've started to form an opinion on DS2 and I've got to ask... does anyone else feel that Dark Souls 2 is just somehow less fair than Dark Souls 1 was?

My problem is, in Dark Souls 1 I always had the impression that the game was giving me an honest shot. There were tough situations, but you always got to assess what you were up against up front. I never felt like there were any cheap shots. When I died, I never felt that it wasn't my own fault for getting in over my head.

In Dark Souls 2, I have that feeling all the time. The biggest thing is that enemies aren't triggered by visual range anymore. I'll step through a door or into a corridor and a bunch of enemies that shouldn't even be able to see me yet will run up from half the level away and start converging on my location. With an annoying regularity, they'll even spawn in behind me from a location I've already cleared out.

There are also a lot of gauntlet-style thingies where I'll turn a corner or open a door just to be swarmed by a huge amount of enemies that were previously impossible to see, way more than the combat system is really suited for. The worst example so far must be the Royal Guards right before the Sentinel boss fight, because there's just a completely unprepossessing door and the moment you open it and step through, 8+ of them will just run up from offscreen and gang up on me in this tiny confined space with no warning at all, which is basically an instant kill I had no chance of doing anything about the first time around. It's really cheap and I don't like it at all.

So what I'd like to know is, does this keep up throughout the whole game and does it annoy everyone else as much as me? I'm not really sure I want to continue playing if the whole game is made up of cheap shots like that.

Slow down. There are maybe two occasions I know of where enemies deliberately spawn behind you and they're both in Forest of Fallen Giants (room with Small White Soapstone and the tunnel with the Fire Longsword). Otherwise Dark Souls 2 is very fair. Hell, it's possible to do deathless+bonfireless runs (and there are even rewards for it).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Donald Duck posted:

I don't recall enemies spawning behind me at any stage in the game. They do hide though which may be why you think they're spawning.

Whenever I enter a new area and have enemies swarm up behind me and kill me, I always take time to explore and figure out why they did that and where they come from. Every time I've been able to locate said enemy waiting in ambush eventually (the zombie viking pirates hanging off of the pier waiting for you to walk by were the worst and took me several deaths to find).

The only "Ambush" I'm having trouble with is the gauntlet room underneath Drangleic Castle (If you thought the ruin sentinels were bad before). It's fully telegraphed what it is, but the fight's nasty enough it's making me want to re-roll and play a smashy tank instead of a wizard.

Umberger posted:

Slow down. There are maybe two occasions I know of where enemies deliberately spawn behind you and they're both in Forest of Fallen Giants (room with Small White Soapstone and the tunnel with the Fire Longsword). Otherwise Dark Souls 2 is very fair. Hell, it's possible to do deathless+bonfireless runs (and there are even rewards for it).

Actually, the two dudes that ambush you in the fire tunnel are just laying down in the bushes above it where you can't see them from below. You can reach that area by running+jumping off of a tree but there's really no point to the area besides reaching and activating the pair.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 27, 2014

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Alkydere posted:

The only "Ambush" I'm having trouble with is the gauntlet room underneath Drangleic Castle (If you thought the ruin sentinels were bad before). It's fully telegraphed what it is, but the fight's nasty enough it's making me want to re-roll and play a smashy tank instead of a wizard.

Get the Binoculars if you haven't already. Put them in your left hand and never take them off. Shields are for wusses, if you're playing a wizard I highly recommend going full glass cannon and getting good at dodging.

Then for that room: snipe the stone guys, fight the Ruin Sentinels on your own terms, if they get too close to you there's always the option of "de-aggroing" them by running back to the room with the bonfire. Ruin Sentinels are deceptively easy to dodge and always telegraph pretty hard, just roll into/through their weapon swings.

Alkydere posted:

Actually, the two dudes that ambush you in the fire tunnel are just laying down in the bushes above it where you can't see them from below. You can reach that area by running+jumping off of a tree but there's really no point to the area besides reaching and activating the pair.

Huh. Cool. :ms:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

warburg posted:

When is the earliest I can get a staff? I'd really like to make a battlemage but all I've gotten so far is the crappy DLC one.

The basic sorcery vendor sells one. He's near the end of the Wharf. There's also one in that trapped area pate is in front of in FoFG, when you hit a set of stairs, interact with the right side wall at the bottom of the stairs to open an illusory wall with a staff inside.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Umberger posted:

Get the Binoculars if you haven't already. Put them in your left hand and never take them off. Shields are for wusses, if you're playing a wizard I highly recommend going full glass cannon and getting good at dodging.

Then for that room: snipe the stone guys, fight the Ruin Sentinels on your own terms, if they get too close to you there's always the option of "de-aggroing" them by running back to the room with the bonfire. Ruin Sentinels are deceptively easy to dodge and always telegraph pretty hard, just roll into/through their weapon swings.

Yup, at NO point do enemies spawn in on you. They are always there, even if they're in innacessible areas. Also, I guess I could do the wizard-snipe stuff, only my spells don't do nearly enough damage to the enemies for me to not run out of casts.

And yes, I know how to snipe as a wizard. I made it through the Gultch with a giant pile of soul arrows and binoculars and smashed EVERY SINGLE statue.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Umberger posted:

And the small white soapstone guy is playing dead near a wagon and some crates.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Is this game a controller or mouse and keyboard game? I know Dark Souls 1 was all controller.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Also, I guess I could do the wizard-snipe stuff, only my spells don't do nearly enough damage to the enemies for me to not run out of casts.

Hexes are really good, if you haven't invested in them. Great/Resonant Soul hit very hard and the soul cost becomes trivial as you go on. Even Dark Orb is pretty solid.

Donald Duck posted:

And the small white soapstone guy is playing dead near a wagon and some crates.

Guess I never explored that room well enough. :ms: again.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

warburg posted:

In Forest of Forgotten Giants, off the path Pate tells you to explore is a secret passage at the bottom of the large stair case. Go check that. (Press the interact button on the walls rather than attacking).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Alabaster White posted:

Lockstone conservation tips for paranoid scrubs: Every lockstone has some unique effect or item attached to it that's always worth getting, except in these circumstances: Rat area lockstones (these activate traps so unless you're in the Rat covenant, you're doubly loving yourself over) and lockstones with a square stone basin at the base of them (these activate a healing pool, which sounds nice, but are all in completely useless areas). Otherwise, go hog wild with your lockstones.

The latter one is not true, at least in the Iron Keep: using lockstones there puts water in the basin, which you can then roll around in, which gives you a massive defense against fire while it's active. That in turn allows you to be able to run and grab the loot on the islands in the lava. You can't really do it otherwise since even with flash sweat, rings, burrs, and other fire defense stuff you're going to die before you actually open up the chest you're trying to get stuff from. The healing effect is a nice bonus but in that area those are what the pools are designed for.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Umberger posted:

Hexes are really good, if you haven't invested in them. Great/Resonant Soul hit very hard and the soul cost becomes trivial as you go on. Even Dark Orb is pretty solid.

Oh, I've got hexes on my attunement bar. Mainly piles of soul arrows and Dark Orb though. I don't have the attunement slots/faith to cast the really, really good stuff.

I do have piles of "restores casting uses" items though I guess I can use.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

warburg posted:

You can find one in a room behind an illusory wall in Forest of Fallen Giants.

There's a sorcery merchant in No-Man's Wharf who sells the basic staff. He's kind of hidden and I think he'll only deal with you if you have an intelligence of at least 8. But if you can exhaust his dialogue, he'll move to Majula after you beat the boss.

Umberger posted:

Yes, the binoculars will save you many headaches with these guys and you can snipe them by zooming in with a bow. Also they're tethered and generally will back off if you enter the hallway leading up to the room. But if you don't want to deal with the sentinel guys, the only door you have to open is immediately to the right of where you enter. All the others with sentinels are just minor treasure rooms (I think one has a lockstone). The third door on the left will lead you to a new covenant however if you've been talking to the guy.

Party Plane Jones posted:

The latter one is not true, at least in the Iron Keep: using lockstones there puts water in the basin, which you can then roll around in, which gives you a massive defense against fire while it's active. That in turn allows you to be able to run and grab the loot on the islands in the lava. You can't really do it otherwise since even with flash sweat, rings, burrs, and other fire defense stuff you're going to die before you actually open up the chest you're trying to get stuff from. The healing effect is a nice bonus but in that area those are what the pools are designed for.

Trust me, even water will not save you if you don't have enough fire defense from other sources. I tried it. :v:

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 27, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
You also forgot something :v:

Door on the left all the way down, is Darkdiver Grandal, but also the Faaram armor. Aka the armor your guy wears on the cover. Its actually pretty decent when upgraded.

As for iron keep, I did this.

Hex set, +3 boots, +2 armor, etc. Got a Fire Resis ring +1, cast Flash Sweat, rolled all over the water in the lockstone pharro and it worked out nicely. I think casting flash sweat and then rolling through the fire buffs the hell out of it.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 27, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I can't believe I got an Old Whip from a regular Small and Silky Stone. Now I feel compelled to level up dex enough to use it.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
Old Dragonslayer indeed ...

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Average Bear posted:

Is this game a controller or mouse and keyboard game? I know Dark Souls 1 was all controller.

It is the same game so yes

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
"Hey guys remember the archer bridge in Anor Londo? People liked being shot at by archers! Let's do that again, and again and again!" :what:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I think I accidentally recreated the Lost Sinner by foregoing a shield and having a pyromancy flame in my offhand. :v:

How does her sword compare to the Pursuer's? I haven't killed her or unlocked Straid yet so I can't test either move set. Ideally I want something that mimics the wide swing and horizontal poke of a bastard sword.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

"Hey guys remember the archer bridge in Anor Londo? People liked being shot at by archers! Let's do that again, and again and again!" :what:

Get a shield that blocks 100% physical, archers become much less of a problem. Yeah some of them have knockback but it's easy to counteract.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

Get a shield that blocks 100% physical, archers become much less of a problem. Yeah some of them have knockback but it's easy to counteract.

Oh I don't have any issues with them, I just think the whole "Dude shooting at you while you try to do something else" mechanic is very overused.

I'm in Drangleic Castle, so...

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

gently caress this retarded area with mandatory fuckers who break all your poo poo.

Hahah :v:

I just reached Lost Bastille, how long until I can get a Fragrant Brand Of Yore?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Sex Robot posted:

For the first month or so sure, but once the playerbase thins out to people who want to online regularly pickings are going to get slim fast.

I doubt that's going to happen. Demon's Souls, the first game in the series is five years old on last-generation hardware and still has summons and invasions everywhere at a wide range of levels. They were going to shut the servers down a couple of years ago and to this day they still run with no plan to stop for the foreseeable future.

Dark Souls II being on Steam is the best thing to happen for it, it's a great infrastructure with access to a huge number of players. It'll last years and years, especially with the enduring popularity of Demon's and Dark Souls I, and the occasional Steam sale.

PirateBob posted:

I just reached Lost Bastille, how long until I can get a Fragrant Brand Of Yore?

The branch is in a chest immediately after doing the end boss of the Lost Bastille region.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Oh I don't have any issues with them, I just think the whole "Dude shooting at you while you try to do something else" mechanic is very overused.

I'm in Drangleic Castle, so...

Try poison.

Seriously poison arrows are so useful in this game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

poptart_fairy posted:

So I think I accidentally recreated the Lost Sinner by foregoing a shield and having a pyromancy flame in my offhand. :v:

How does her sword compare to the Pursuer's? I haven't killed her or unlocked Straid yet so I can't test either move set. Ideally I want something that mimics the wide swing and horizontal poke of a bastard sword.

Sinner's sword basically takes HP away from you everytime you hit an enemy with it. The damage isnt' too great, but there is a rumor (not confirmed) that the sword scales off the sin level of pvpers. In terms of swinging, it's more like a katana I think.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Hahah :v:

You get it from the boss that's in the next area, not too far off now.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
So I just defeated The Lost Sinner and I seem to have reached a dead end in the whole area, is that it? do I turn around and start heading towards the the heildes towers of flame?

Also, is there something online I can look at to decide where I should use the Lockstones? I only have two, and so far I've reached up to the boss I just beat, so I'd like to know what doors are worth it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Al-Saqr posted:

So I just defeated The Lost Sinner and I seem to have reached a dead end in the whole area, is that it? do I turn around and start heading towards the the heildes towers of flame?

Also, is there something online I can look at to decide where I should use the Lockstones? I only have two, and so far I've reached up to the boss I just beat, so I'd like to know what doors are worth it.

If you haven't done Heide's Tower of Flame, you really should! It's usually only the second zone after the Forest for most players. Doing Heide's will open up a couple of other areas for you to explore, as well as some useful NPCs.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

Heide's Tower of Flame is just an alternative route to get to The Lost Sinner. You should go through it and the next area for some neat items.

Also did you go to the end of the area? There should have been a chest and a bonfire which you should light, there's also an item in the chest which you should read its description.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The "Where to now" bits of the game are rather badly communicated. A new player finishes with Sinner's Rise since that was obviously the way forward up to that point and then goes to Heide's, sees the big fuckoff knights and turns back because, hey, they must be hard. I certainly had that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Shindragon posted:

Sinner's sword basically takes HP away from you everytime you hit an enemy with it. The damage isnt' too great, but there is a rumor (not confirmed) that the sword scales off the sin level of pvpers. In terms of swinging, it's more like a katana I think.

From what I can find, it's the attack rating that will be affected if you sin. Since you can't really erase ALL of your sin, it will be permanently hosed up to some degree.

The "Where to now" bits of the game are rather badly communicated. A new player finishes with Sinner's Rise since that was obviously the way forward up to that point and then goes to Heide's, sees the big fuckoff knights and turns back because, hey, they must be hard. I certainly had that problem.

If you've already gotten to Lost Sinner, you've either already gone through Heide or you don't necessarily need to because that's where it leads. Defeating the Lost Sinner gives you what you need to open a new path and beating the boss in Heide will also unlock another option for a path.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 27, 2014