Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Ask the king, If we follow him and he perishes before our eyes you would allow us to return? Even if we could have saved his life if we intervened?

He would not take us back if he died under our watch with our balls on an adventure but now he wants us to do nothing. I understand this is supposed to be solo but wouldn't ball combat also be honorable death as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Ask the king, If we follow him and he perishes before our eyes you would allow us to return? Even if we could have saved his life if we intervened?

He would not take us back if he died under our watch with our balls on an adventure but now he wants us to do nothing. I understand this is supposed to be solo but wouldn't ball combat also be honorable death as well?

Because when he was with the balls he was still a child under our care. When he does his manhood trial he has to be alone. I would imagine that when he comes back the "don't come back without your brother" rule will no longer be in effect, as danal will be a man and therefore solely responsible for his own safety.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I think it's an issue of technicalities.

There is a difference between "Take your underage brother out into the wilds to deliberately seek out and fight large monsters capable of loving up pretty much anyone's poo poo."
and
"We're dropping your brother off in the wilderness. Hopefully he makes it a month without starving to death."

If Danal is lucky and plays his cards right, he shouldn't have to fight, and if the Capybaras will it, all he'll have to worry about is food/shelter/suitable offering.

Plus, let's be realistic: Tudiya knows as well as we do that we wouldn't be able to stand idly by and NOT help Danal out if he got in over his head.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Tudiya warned you to not interfere with Danal's trial, but he said you could watch. He also said that watching him suffer would be hard for you.

He said if you intervened to help Danal, don't come back.

He never said if Danal dies, you can't come back.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I know, I was surprised he wouldn't want us to protect him in this. I was surprised that he would not want us back if we intervened. I was expressing my surprise in the form of a question to the king.

Some other posters have put it into better context with his age and need for this trial versus his youth and needless adventuring, but I am still surprised he would banish us for saving his life, even other posters suspect the king think we would step in, despite his threat of disownership.

Edit: to be more clear. There is a difference between helping him make fire and gathering an offering and HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THAT MOUNTAIN SIZED DAEMON OH MY GOD!!

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 27, 2014

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

A
O

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Outrail posted:

We've already been told that life in Athar, aside from the cannibalism and crazy shark god, was fairly idyllic and safe. As a result of the beatings we probably had the worst life out of anyone there aside from Mom.

Athar was a farm, with humans as the cattle. Our cows and goats have a pretty good life too, right up until we eat them.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Suggestion: guard of honour for Danal. At one month we could post lookouts to watch for Danal's return, when he is spotted we assemble the balls to meet him outside the city in full armour and carry him through the gates on our shoulders.

It's a nice gesture and could begin a tradition we repeat for all balls that successfully complete their trial.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
DO Pass on good advice and don't be over-protective.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

jazzyhattrick posted:

Suggestion: guard of honour for Danal. At one month we could post lookouts to watch for Danal's return, when he is spotted we assemble the balls to meet him outside the city in full armour and carry him through the gates on our shoulders.

It's a nice gesture and could begin a tradition we repeat for all balls that successfully complete their trial.

This actually sounds pretty good to me, i second this.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

jazzyhattrick posted:

I like this too, it'll be just like old times!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I know, I was surprised he wouldn't want us to protect him in this. I was surprised that he would not want us back if we intervened. I was expressing my surprise in the form of a question to the king.

Some other posters have put it into better context with his age and need for this trial versus his youth and needless adventuring, but I am still surprised he would banish us for saving his life, even other posters suspect the king think we would step in, despite his threat of disownership.

Edit: to be more clear. There is a difference between helping him make fire and gathering an offering and HOLY poo poo LOOK AT THAT MOUNTAIN SIZED DAEMON OH MY GOD!!

Well, keep in mind, Tudiya doesn't view the world in terms of probabilities and likelihoods the way we do. To his mind, the world is created, run, and ordered by El, and all things that happen happen according to his will. To a certain extent this is a sacred ritual, a process in which Danal can be fully tested by El to emerge a true man at the conclusion of the trial. Whatever challenges Danal faces, they will be challenges that El has put before him to see if he can successfully navigate them one way or another. Should he succeed, he will be found worthy in the eyes of El, and will have passed through to true manhood, a better man than he would have done if he'd done the pussy version of the trial. Should he fail, on the other hand, he would have been found wanting by El. It will be a sorrowful event, and Tudiya will likely weep bitter tears when the news is confirmed, but still it is the will of El, and ultimately Danal was found deficient before Him.

If we intervene, then, we do two things - firstly, we declare Danal unable to overcome the challenges in question on his own, being in need of our assistance, and thus lessening his worth as a man. Secondly, we are essentially contradicting the judgment of El, declaring that our decision that Danal should live trumps El's decision that Danal should be tested. Thus, by intervening to save Danal, we diminish Danal and impugn his honor, and we declare our judgment better than that of El's.

Or so I'm guessing, anyways. I'm not Tudiya. But this chain of thought seems likely to fit. Though...

Diog, according to our understanding of the manhood ritual, Zepathan religious doctrine, and our knowledge of Tudiya's beliefs, how closely does Enkidel think the above is liable to track with his thoughts on the matter? Or is this one of those cases where we'll have to judge on our own?

Anyhow...

jazzyhattrick posted:

I'd be down with this.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Angela Christine posted:

Athar was a farm, with humans as the cattle. Our cows and goats have a pretty good life too, right up until we eat them.

If you think El and Asherah aren't the same entity, then you haven't been paying attention.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

1. El does not measure devotion in pounds of silver, or care for pearls. Tudiya once told me: "Things you value which you surrender, things gained at great cost and hardship, such are pleasing to El."
2. O

I think Daniel will make it. Let's not cheat him out of his victory.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

quote:

Diog, according to our understanding of the manhood ritual, Zepathan religious doctrine, and our knowledge of Tudiya's beliefs, how closely does Enkidel think the above is liable to track with his thoughts on the matter? Or is this one of those cases where we'll have to judge on our own?
Your analysis is spot on with the orthodox religious view of the men of Zepath.

A slightly different analysis which might also fall straightly within orthodox Zepathan beliefs, may be that if Danal dies, he was not found wanting by El, rather than Danal was just not Blooded enough. In Zepath, some men are simply superior to others. If Danal dies, it is unclear if it should be attributed to being unworthy in El's eyes, or Danal just not being "good" enough.

Your view also falls squarley within orthodox faith. If you asked Zepath's Mighty Men, you would likely find them believing either, or both.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 27, 2014

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Speleothing posted:

If you think El and Asherah aren't the same entity, then you haven't been paying attention.

I don't actually. Asherah is one demon, there are several other really dangerous demons in the world. (bird demon is one, melting face ogre-zombie demon is another) Are they all different aspects of El? More likely they are fallen Melechim or something like that.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Outrail posted:

Voting we respond to this tripe: "For El's sake Tyudia look who you're talking to. Remember when you went to a demon worshiping village and found that kid who looked like a little version of me? And as someone who has actual experience living in such a place I have to say that aside form the occasional threat of cannibalism and a shark god's irrational wrath it wasn't as bad as you make it out to be. Asherah is a terrible demongod thing and the world would be a better place without her, but don't drop that sort of story on me."

We don't really know how the people in Anthar felt about Asherah. We were the priest's son, so no one would talk to us. It seemed like everyone was afraid of Asherah, the priest, and us. We were not afraid because were just a child, and none of the children knew about the cannibalism.

Affi posted:

I don't actually. Asherah is one demon, there are several other really dangerous demons in the world. (bird demon is one, melting face ogre-zombie demon is another) Are they all different aspects of El? More likely they are fallen Melechim or something like that.

More likely people are loving delicious. Every monster/demon/god/ghost/thing wants some of that succulent human flesh.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

You told Danal "El does not measure devotion in pounds of silver, or care for pearls. Tudiya once told me: "Things you value which you surrender, things gained at great cost and hardship, such are pleasing to El." Tudiya nodded in approval and Danal said "I won't let you down. I promise."

The trip back to Zepath was silent and about as solemn as you might expect it to be, with a man who just left his son without supplies in a desolate wilderness to fend for himself.

The trip was uneventful.

You return to your routine. The craftsmen you hired have finished their work. You have a large, sturdy cart with a cage of bronze and wood atop it, as well as three sets of the thickest manacles which would be practicably made. -12 pounds of silver.

At home, domestic bliss is yours. You have a wife who adores, a happy and healthy son and slaves who are dutiful to their kindly master. You have a large and loving Snarls to lick your face every morning. Financial problems are far from your mind, you are wealthy and successful.

The common people of Zepath love you and the fact you came from cannibal stock is long forgotten. Merchants and men of status appreciate your work to keep the countryside safe and more than that, the vibrant and welcoming home you have kept open to them. You can expect to find friends waiting for you in a number of the cities on the way to Baitel and even in Baitel itself.

Your Balls are happy with your leadership and have not relapsed into spending beyond their means. They speak eagerly of their trip to Baitel with you. Some are eager to stand in the shadow of Mount Har, to enter the House of El, the holiest place in the world where mortal men may tread. Others look forward to the vast riches they hope to reap. You have picked the countryside near Zepath dry of minotaurs, ogres, giant snakes and other such beasts and you will lead a large donkey train of riches to Baitel. There will be more than enough silver to pass around among you and your Balls by the time the trip is done.

Danal should be due home within a few days, a month will have passed since his Trial began and at three months old, your son has started to crawl. Very, very early for a normal child but Blooded children are known to advance more quickly in the first few years of life, then come into their Blood between 14 to 16 or so.

Life is good.

Danal is due back from his trial today. You manage to resist the temptation to wait at the gate all day to greet him, though you do go to the gate at mid day. You wait.

And wait.

And wait.

The sun gradually moved across the sky. It is dusk. Danal is not home.

1. You....
A. Pack, get Snarls and go look for him.
B. Pack, get Snarls and go look for him. I send the Balls out as well, they split up.

C. I wait up to another day, then re-asses what I wish to do, if he has not come home.
D. I wait up to five days, then re-asses what I wish to do, if he has not come home.
E. I wait up to a month, then re-assess what I wish to do, if he has not come home.

F. However long it takes. I do not plan to go looking for Danal. Time moves ahead, as it tends to do.

G. Something else. Fill in.

2. (OPTIONAL-You don't have to answer) Danal has been eaten by...
H. A minotaur.
I. Two minotaurs.
J. One minotaur, but he was eaten alive.
K. Danal came across a demon jackal and it is currently eating his carcass.
L. A giant snake crushed him.
M. A grove scorpion is growing it's eggs inside of him.
N. A giant gobbled him up.
O. An ogre smashed him flat.
P. A demon
Q. Asherah
R. A Zviv
S. The demon Fare
T. Barkof kidnapped him
U. Some of Bareen's followers took this opportunity to get vengeance and have captured him.
V. SCREW YOU FOR EVEN ASKING THIS QUESTION DIOGENES!
W. No. Seriously. Screw you!

X. This demon

Y. This demon

Z. This demon

Za. This demon

Zb. This demon

Zc. This demon

Zd. This demon

Ze. This demon

Zf. This demon

Zg. This demon

Zh. How could we forget our buddy, Eyescream! Eyescream. You don't actually know how large he was, but he was measured in miles or fractional miles. Danal seemed eager to outdo you... where did Danal plan to go?

Zi. Something else. Fill in.

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 27, 2014

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

FY.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

1. E
2. Zc A grue, obviously.

e: Make that an Ur-grue.

e2: Oh no I hope he didn't go to the coast.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 27, 2014

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
1. E
2. V

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
D - A day late isn't anything to worry about. We would have been late if not for the AzzazelPort. Lets see what happens in 5 and reassess.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
1. D
2. V

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

1. E

2. V!

We were late coming back from our own, and I can totally see Danal holding out for a crazy offering, so I'm not worried yet. After a month goes by though...it might be time to reassess.

Also, crawling at three months? Jaysus.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1. A

2. Zi- He was eaten by us, because we went out to look hunt for him. :getin:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
1. A
Yeah, okay so our brother needs our help. We need to go out and get him. Oh okay. B. the more the merrier. Maybe we can get Zepath to mobilize to go out looking for him?

2. W

Stop adding horrible monsters to eat our brother.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
1. D. Hey, we were pretty late ourselves. Give the kid some time.

2. Zi: A grue. Should have practiced his Vayahi Or more often!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
FTU
He'll be back. We were a month late ourselves, nothing to fear. He's going to try and top us, for better or worse.

Seriously though, Barkof and the remnants of Bareen's men grabbed him. Barkof knew when his birthday was.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 27, 2014

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

1-G

We wait, and do not move. Fast and pray for his return. Try to feel his presence. We will wait as long as it takes for his return

2-Zi

He has not been eaten he will return.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
1. E He doesn't have the benefit of the Az express home like we did. Besides have you ever tried carrying a massive monster skull? Those things are heavy, it's to be expected that he would take some time to get back.

2. V

Mr Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 27, 2014

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1G. Grabbed a minotaur horn from our stock, then grabbed Snarls and started looking.

Absum
May 28, 2013

E

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
1-E, 2-Zi We keep a vigil with sacrifices in which pray to El and focus on lending our own strength to Danal from afar. We maintain a certainty of his success and return.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
1D

2Zi: Danal has been eaten by... Zepa's Monument. But only his hand, and only temporarily.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
E and V :ohdear:

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
1. D

2. W seriously

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
F, J

It's reasonable for him to be eaten by what we hope to humiliate.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
E V :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Hmmm...

Perhaps we could walk out beyond the three day boundary and see if we can sense him.

Maybe he has been Danalnapped and is being used as bait. You know, by some critter hoping to gain incredible glory by taking him alive into the mountains or something.

Maintain certainty.