Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I'm running Champions in a week, wish me luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mearls should get fired from WotC and hired by the ADB guys at the rank of "private" or better yet "able seam

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
if WotC taught the Magic design team how to play D&D they'd churn out a better product in 18 months

CommonTerry
Dec 16, 2013

good is soda grape

Kasonic posted:

if WotC taught the Magic design team how to play D&D they'd churn out a better product in 18 months

They would issue "booster splats" containing random pamphlets of monsters, dm tips, player tips, and character classes, along with occasional dice and figurines.

Then they would ban illusionists for being OP

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

CommonTerry posted:

They would issue "booster splats" containing random pamphlets of monsters, dm tips, player tips, and character classes, along with occasional dice and figurines.

They already doin' that

quote:

How complex will DDN be compared to previous editions
Basic DDN will be as Complex as the Rules Encyclopedia
4 core classes and races, add in some basic rules
Compared to BASIC D&D, it’s about the same at-the-table complexity.

Dec 26, 2012

neonchameleon posted:

This depends whether you are running games with power tools or not.

i run all my games with a bandsaw personally. they all fall apart though

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
What are some games that have like, "crunchy" skill systems, that don't suck?
I need ideas to steal from.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

P.d0t posted:

What are some games that have like, "crunchy" skill systems, that don't suck?
I need ideas to steal from.

ars magica

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CommonTerry posted:

So like, is anyone ever going to play a Warlord?

What's that.

It sounds like some dumb fighter class

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
a jock who tells people what to do, what bullshit.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

remember when that gym teacher tried to tell ME to do a second push up? heh nice try shitlord

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CommonTerry posted:

Then they would ban illusionists for being OP
Assuming something that works in game A can be shoved wholesale into completely unrelated game B is D&D-style design. That's why D&D minis come in randomised boosters.

I'm serious this is a thing.

Does anyone remember those plot-coupon booster packs some bright spark tried to shove into 4E near the end of its run. They were encounters-legal. That was a magical time to be alive.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 27, 2014

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Oh hey guys I was going to have you fight a dragon this week but I didn't draw well so I guess the kobolds are being led by a bunch of goblins wearing a chinese new year costume or something.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Splicer posted:

a bunch of goblins wearing a chinese new year costume

I ran this adventure, it was super rad.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
selling minis and content through booster packs sounds awesome, brb making a rpg playable on tablets.

"ugh, why did they make the halfing fighter a rare? i have ten of them and they are utter poo poo"

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Kasonic posted:

Even the magic guys are going to get their lunch money taken by hearthstone.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Vire posted:

Even the magic guys are going to get their lunch money taken by hearthstone.

Nah Mtg is getting stuffed as we speak by the Skylanders fad + the Disney & Dreamworks knockoffs of said. Why buy packs of cardboard when the mini figs are at least pretty while you're not using them.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Gerund posted:

Nah Mtg is getting stuffed as we speak by the Skylanders fad + the Disney & Dreamworks knockoffs of said. Why buy packs of cardboard when the mini figs are at least pretty while you're not using them.

that's a different audience.

but maybe mini games can learn something from skylanders?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Splicer posted:

Oh hey guys I was going to have you fight a dragon this week but I didn't draw well so I guess the kobolds are being led by a bunch of goblins wearing a chinese new year costume or something.

not gonna lie, this sounds legit awesome

LSTB
Nov 13, 2000

MTG is dead, we're all playing Kantai Collection now.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

fwiw Magic is selling more than it ever has, like twice as much as the year before, it's just the decade of nerds

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Kasonic posted:

fwiw Magic is selling more than it ever has, like twice as much as the year before, it's just the decade of nerds

really? I thought it was just the olds jumping the price of the classic power cards, not packs flying off the shelves.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Gerund posted:

really? I thought it was just the olds jumping the price of the classic power cards, not packs flying off the shelves.

maybe you were just talking out of your rear end, who knows?

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Don't Paizo literally do the booster pack approach with their models?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Skylanders generated 1 BILLION dollars of revenue for Activision, and the Disney Infiniti and Dreamwork's whateverthefuck are hopping on to the bandwagon to catch the money. While Hasbro's game division (they don't quote Mtg specifically in their QFR) dropped 4% in the last year.

but sure, no I'm crazy and magic has nothing to worry about as a billion plus in youth-oriented action figure gaming industry sets up in the next toy aisle over

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Skylanders are just dlc you have to buy in a store.

I want to plug D&D splat-monsters into my Dungeon Master's Pedestal

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Kasonic posted:

Skylanders are just dlc you have to buy in a store.

I want to plug D&D splat-monsters into my Dungeon Master's Pedestal

oh no lie skylanders is everything that 4e wanted to be, if the singular design lead wasn't a domestic-abuser that murder/suicided his wife

e: got victim and murder mixed up. jesus christ

Gerund fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 28, 2014

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i'm just happy to see the star control guys make good

knux911
Nov 21, 2012
"You’re not forced to run 5 encounters per day."
So have they fixed the 5 minute workday in relation to vancian casting?

"Balance on its own is an illusion without the DM."
Err wat? I could never understand Mearlsian.

"Basic DDN will be as Complex as the Rules Encyclopedia"
Interesting how they call it Basic DDN. Perhaps they may release a basic and advanced DDN?

Not much talked about in the way of the fabled modules. I hope those aren't just sidebars in the DMG or they just expect people to ignore rules to change the game.
I dunno, it just feels to me that the main thing going for DDN is nostalgia. It just seems like MM has re-released 3e and given it a new coat of paint.

In other news, the latest L&L talks about mass combat rules:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20140428

Latest Q&A, Confirming CR is back for encounter building:
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dndqa/20140425

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

D&D Next Q&A posted:

It’s also worth noting that, because you use the monsters’ XP value, not their CR, when gauging the difficulty of encounters and adventures, the actual CR value is of little significance beyond being a relative gauge of power among all monsters.

So, what does CR do exactly?

Dec 26, 2012

pretend to be meaningful

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

knux911 posted:

These are horseshit. gently caress you Mearls, give me Axis&Allies already, not some bullshit where an army is a PC but with 10x as many HP.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

P.d0t posted:

These are horseshit. gently caress you Mearls, give me Axis&Allies already, not some bullshit where an army is a PC but with 10x as many HP.

Sounds like they pretty much said, "Hell with it, just pretend each character has like 10 dudes with them."

...how long have they been working on Next?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Generic Octopus posted:

Sounds like they pretty much said, "Hell with it, just pretend each character has like 10 dudes with them."

:respek:

Seriously, what the gently caress i don't even

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
D&D Next sucks and boy am I mad about it

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Generic Octopus posted:

Of everything in Next, this is what consistently stands out to me: how much time has been spent to produce so very little.

The BATTLESYSTEM is "it's the core rules but WAY more finicky, also hah hah enjoy one character getting ten rounds to your every one round if they fight another Solo."

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

01011001 posted:

pretend to be meaningful

New thread title.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

ProfessorCirno posted:

Of everything in Next, this is what consistently stands out to me: how much time has been spent to produce so very little.

The BATTLESYSTEM is "it's the core rules but WAY more finicky, also hah hah enjoy one character getting ten rounds to your every one round if they fight another Solo."

I'm gonna start working on mass combat rules for my own game soon, and they're going to own by comparison, since I don't have to pretend 4th edition never happened.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

knux911 posted:

jesus christ those rules suck. we're back to 40d20 rats, only with armies

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

not to mention the stupid solo v solo rules. everyone go take a smoke break while we work out steve's combat. no not you terry we need you on deck to do the same thing with that dragon

• Locked thread