Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

VideoTapir posted:

Jesus, and he owes millions? How many cows does he have?

A lot of that must be penalties. Bundy owes $1.2 million, which at around $1.35 per cow-calf pair over the course of about 246 months would work out to about 3,600 pairs. I am pretty sure Bundy doesn't have anywhere near that many animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

StandardVC10 posted:

I knew Alaska was huge and uninhabited, but jeez, that's a whole lot of land with literally no one living in it.

because large parts of the land look like this:

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
This whole ordeal makes it seem like the entirety of white America is impossibly ignorant about slavery. "Slaves loved trading their labor for rapings and beatings! They had such great work life balance!"

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

This whole ordeal makes it seem like the entirety of white America is impossibly ignorant about slavery. "Slaves loved trading their labor for rapings and beatings! They had such great work life balance!"

"Rather than complaining or rebelling, the slaves should have just leaned in! Show some gumption, people."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

You can complain that someone moved your cheese...or you can approach getting torn from your family and sold south as an opportunity!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

more friedman units posted:

"Rather than complaining or rebelling, the slaves should have just leaned in! Show some gumption, people."

Good job there, young man! You've learned a trade! Which has caused you to increase in value. So uh, you'll be needing to pay me an extra 200 dollars before I manumit you. And won't that be money well spent! Well, back to work!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Good job there, young man! You've learned a trade! Which has caused you to increase in value. So uh, you'll be needing to pay me an extra 200 dollars before I manumit you. And won't that be money well spent! Well, back to work!

If it was good enough for the Romans its good enough for me. I consulted a goose liver and everything.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Honestly, my life would be so much less complicated if it was illegal to educate me. Being able to read is the worst!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Well considering white America is currently going ga ga for an HBO television series that reminds them of when they were disposable human chattel to an abusive king and nobility...

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Well considering white America is currently going ga ga for an HBO television series that reminds them of when they were disposable human chattel to an abusive king and nobility...

Sounds like somebody is just jealous of the aristocracy for being more talented and successful. It's okay, we can't all be job creators.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
It's interesting that Americans can have direct knowledge of idiotic and useless management even to the point of it being widely joked about, yet they continue to believe that we live in a meritocratic society.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

more friedman units posted:

It's interesting that Americans can have direct knowledge of idiotic and pointless management to the point that it's widely joked about, yet they continue to believe that we live in a meritocratic society.

For (e.g.) engineering you don't have to actually be an engineer to manage engineers so you can still believe that managers are morons and that talented people in your field get ahead in life.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Bundy's daughter has now taken to facebook to posit yet another waaaaaaaay out there theory:

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/201...otherJones.com+|+MoJoBlog%29

quote:

I'm sure most of you have heard the news about my dad being called a racist. Wow! The media loves to take things out of context don't they? First off I'd just like to say that my dad has never been the most eloquent speaking person. Like someone said, he's a Moses who needs an Aaron to speak for him. This is true. Second, however, is that the media has turned this into a circus side show. It's like their trying to throw us off the real subject. Why was this ever even brought up? What does this have to do with land rights issues? Sean Hannity was all for reporting the happenings at the Bundy Ranch until this popped up. I wonder if someone hoped it would be that way…By the way, I think Mr. Hannity is more worried about his ratings than he really is about what my dad said. If he supports a supposed racist, what will that do to his ratings? He's already lost his #1 spot on Fox.

Whooo watch out there little lady, you should think twice before sullying the reputation of the man who just got done alerting America to the hot new trend sweeping young America: Doing stupid poo poo during spring break.

And also lets give a hand once again to the party of personal responsibility, where the daughter of the man on tape completing the sentence "and let me tell you something else about the Negro..." wonders aloud how this was ever brought up, what does it have to do with the original thing that made them look like retards to only 3/4ths of the country instead of 9/10ths, why anyone was listening to them in the first place since they aren't professional speakers, why the media distorted comments that have been presented as they were video recorded and in their entirety. It's everyone elses fault!!!!

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

That minute long clip of 'splaining things about the negro was taken out of context

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I swear to god I could win a pulitzer if I had access to all these different newsmakers, using nothing but a tape recorder and the words "And what was the proper context that was missing?"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
"Ahem, you see, right before I said that, I ALSO said "Now let me regale you with my impression of a grievously racist person whose opinions I do not share in any capacity. Yeah, that's the ticket!"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

When it comes to people who would agree that an entire race is better off as slaves, Moses is my first thought too

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Immediately after the "negro" story broke but before the video was made public Bundy went on a rightwing radio show and claimed the quotes were falsely manufactured by the LIEberal media. Now they were "taken out of context". Poor Cliven, always the victim.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Whenever someone says that they were taken out of context I just am flabbergasted. Sometimes it does happen that someone is taken out of context, but any complete sentence that includes expresses the thought 'African-Americans were better off as slaves' and doesn't, before or after, say that it's false or a quote from someone else, is loving racist as poo poo, end of story. No context can make it not racist as poo poo.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g5Hz17C4is

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

beatlegs posted:

Immediately after the "negro" story broke but before the video was made public Bundy went on a rightwing radio show and claimed the quotes were falsely manufactured by the LIEberal media. Now they were "taken out of context". Poor Cliven, always the victim.

You mean "Poor Clayvon, always the victim." Whitey is just trying to keep men like Clayvon down.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

That minute long clip of 'splaining things about the negro was taken out of context

And no one even asked him about negros. Near as I can tell, he just went off for some weird reason.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Whenever someone says that they were taken out of context I just am flabbergasted. Sometimes it does happen that someone is taken out of context, but any complete sentence that includes expresses the thought 'African-Americans were better off as slaves' and doesn't, before or after, say that it's false or a quote from someone else, is loving racist as poo poo, end of story. No context can make it not racist as poo poo.

It does happen. Quite frequently really. "You didn't build that" is a great example of being taken out of context, yet the GOP built an entire convention around it and used it as a slogan.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

You know, there's something I've always wondered: why don't the liberals have any batshit insane media figures like fox news does?

I would LOVE it if everytime a conservative mentions that pot study, there's a nutbag going, "Oh, you believe scientists that weed is bad? The same scientists who LIED ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING?"

Even with this Bundy thing, I would love it if there was someone out there calling him a moocher.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

It does happen. Quite frequently really. "You didn't build that" is a great example of being taken out of context, yet the GOP built an entire convention around it and used it as a slogan.

Yeah, it happens when the right manufactures lies. Members of the right don't need to be taken out of context, the more you quote them the more damning it is.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Biff Rockgroin posted:

You know, there's something I've always wondered: why don't the liberals have any batshit insane media figures like fox news does?

I would LOVE it if everytime a conservative mentions that pot study, there's a nutbag going, "Oh, you believe scientists that weed is bad? The same scientists who LIED ABOUT GLOBAL WARMING?"

Even with this Bundy thing, I would love it if there was someone out there calling him a moocher.

I would imagine it's probably because most liberals just find that sort of thing profoundly annoying no matter who does it, but I don't know.

I base this on the fact that I can't loving stand Ed Schultz, who is probably the closest thing the left has to this.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

I am glad that mens rights bloggers are weighing in on Cliven Bundy. Do you think any feminazis will try to spermjack him? :ohdear:

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Biff Rockgroin posted:

why don't the liberals have any batshit insane media figures like fox news does?

Because liberals haven't built up a voter base of leftwing loonies that they rely on to win elections. Dems can afford to be intolerant of leftwing crazies. Republicans can't. They need them to survive, thus they must pander to them (and delude themselves into believing they're really not that bad).

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
So I guess the next round of the War on Women is all taken out of context too;

http://www.politico.com/story/2014/04/lindsey-graham-det-bowers-south-carolina-senate-2014-elections-106007.html

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Which race is it where some GOP lady is running ads that basically say "War on women? That's ridiculous, I have a vagina. Owned"

Edit: LOL holy poo poo I didn't see all of that Bowers rant. Husbands need wives more than children need moms. Is there some fund I can throw money at that promotes Republicans thinking on their feet? Because sweet jesus that was beautiful.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 28, 2014

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

There you go again, taking example #2,813 and trying to suggest it's part of some :airquote:significant trend:airquote:.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

beatlegs posted:

There you go again, taking example #2,813 and trying to suggest it's part of some :airquote:significant trend:airquote:.
Look, if you've read your Hume you should know that induction is not reliable. Now let me tell you about the Democrat history of racism and how it means that Democrats are the real racists.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Yeah, it happens when the right manufactures lies. Members of the right don't need to be taken out of context, the more you quote them the more damning it is.

Stan: So it's me and hatemonger Pat Robertson. I met him at some party.
unfolds "Anti-Gay Palooza"
Stan: I was just walking through.
unfolds "Hosted & funded by Stan Smith"
Stan: It was just a momentary lapse of judgment.
"7th Annual"
Stan: (beat) My mind's a blank.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Which race is it where some GOP lady is running ads that basically say "War on women? That's ridiculous, I have a vagina. Owned"

You mean every Republican woman running for office this cycle?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Argh but someone ran an ad that was actually her saying "War on women? Lemme give you a second to realize what's stupid about that" and doing the dreamworks smug face. I know DKos made fun of it but my google fu is failing me.

Fake edit: found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dc_AAje-4l0

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

VitalSigns posted:

Stan: So it's me and hatemonger Pat Robertson. I met him at some party.
unfolds "Anti-Gay Palooza"
Stan: I was just walking through.
unfolds "Hosted & funded by Stan Smith"
Stan: It was just a momentary lapse of judgment.
"7th Annual"
Stan: (beat) My mind's a blank.

If only our media was so thorough. :sigh:

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

And no one even asked him about negros. Near as I can tell, he just went off for some weird reason.

Theres the 47% remark for example. Each side adheres to their own infallible worldviews that will invariably be "taken out of context" when attacked by the other side.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BiggerBoat posted:

The right will remove portions from the MIDDLE of a quote to remove context.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

VideoTapir posted:

The right will remove portions from the MIDDLE of a quote to remove context.
"I believe that slavery...was the right thing to do."
"I believe that slavery was obviously wrong. The Thirteenth Amendment was the right thing to do."

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Biff Rockgroin posted:

The Rokstar posted:

I base this on the fact that I can't loving stand Ed Schultz, who is probably the closest thing the left has to this.
It's funny, this is sort of why I like Ed Schultz, he's willing to actually yell at the Republicans and loudly call them out on their bullshit. It's nice to hear someone basically yell "gently caress You" at Republicans, just because there are so few Democrats willing to do that.

There are two caveats though: number one is that Ed Schultz is usually correct, and not just shouting untrue bullshit like Republicans do, and number two is that I can usually only enjoy him in small doses or when I'm really pissed about something Republicans have done. I can't imagine listening to someone like Schultz 8 or 10 hours a day every day, I'd go insane. Listening to Schultz is sort of like a release button when I want to vent a bit, I can't imagine being in that angry, furious mindset for days or weeks at a time.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ed Schultz is a former right-wing radio host who saw the writing on the wall (that he would never be Rush) and changed up his shtick. In his heart he's still filth and it leaks out sometimes, like when he called Laura Ingraham a slut.