Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

kastein posted:

Get yourself a wiring diagram for that from bbbind.com/free_tsb.html and start splicing things back together. Mostly you can probably assume that if they're the same color and have the same color tracer stripe AND are the same wire gauge, they used to be the same wire, so just put it back how it was unless you find info that says otherwise in the wiring diagrams.
Oh cool, I wasn't aware of that site. What you described has been what I was doing up until today. Only problem is the open in the evap sensor still hasn't been found despite getting all of the 24 wires on the HVAC connector fixed, hence the redneck solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZincBoy
May 7, 2006

Think again Jimmy!
Heading to Mosport on the weekend for some fun with the 330Ci so I changed the oil, flushed the brake fluid, and changed the transmission oil. I made the mistake of using a cocktail recommended for use with a light weight flywheel to stop gear rattle. It did minimize the rattle, but also minimize the ease of shifting.... Switched back to the BMW MT fluid and it shifts much better. Gear rattle is back, but I can live with that.

Once that was done, I put the steering column, peddles, and seat in the new toy. Just so I can make vroom, vroom noises and pretend to drive it.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I replaced these smelly old rear trailing arm bushings with shiny Whiteline ones.

doogle posted:

I have HASPORT b series engine mounts for an EF if you want to go fast. And a YS1 cable transmission (Japanese CRX SiR b16 transmission).

If only I had a B18C5...

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 25, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Blackstone sent me a gift.

:stare:

Please don't be coolant. We'll know on the next oil change..

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I curbed the ST today. Scraped the front right tire all up and the finish is flaking off. They were the Rado's too.

:(

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Dr.Caligari posted:

I curbed the ST today. Scraped the front right tire all up and the finish is flaking off. They were the Rado's too.

:(

Ugggh, sup curb-rashed ST buddy. My coworker pointed out that I had scraped some of the finish off of my front passenger wheel, I also have the darker Rados. I can't even remember ever hitting a curb so I was a bit upset at the news. :mad:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Minor, but my filters showed up from Rockauto. In one beat to poo poo box. The cabin air filter box inside was partially crushed.. :sigh:

... turns out the box for the cabin air filter was like twice the size of the actual filter though. No actual damage to anything except packaging. :woop:

Old engine air filter didn't look terrible. Not great, but not terrible for nearly 30k.

Cabin air filter was completely black on one side, and partly clogged with leaves. And installed backwards. :downs: I actually get a decent amount of air from the vents now, and the air doesn't smell nearly as bad.

Fuel filter is next.

e: finally got off my rear end and scheduled an appointment at the dealer for the :supaburn: recalls :supaburn: - goes in Monday afternoon.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Apr 25, 2014

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Finally got the exhaust installed on the Alfa. New to the car stuff from the manifold all the way back. A little bit of rubbing and need some fiddling, but SO much better than what was on there.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Reinstalled all the struts on my mates 06 Liberty 3.0R sedan today- Bilstiens all round but the fronts were just about rooted, so we sent em off to be rebuilt. Two rebuilt fronts, rears arent rebuildable but checked in spec. Reinstalled em and the horrid clunking is gone, so thats good.

Went to replace the rear pads on the Landcruiser cos they have been squealing exactly like a the wear squealer for the last week. 2/3 of the pad left. The anti squeal shims are pretty much totally hosed tho, so looks like its off to toyota for those...

Sigh...

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Took the perfect OEM wheels with no-name (albeit new) tires off the Miata and swapped them with decent-looking OEM wheels with good tires that I got off CL. I am going to put some nice sticky tires on the better set of wheels.

Also, I put the Miata in the garage. This space is normally a TIGHT squeeze for my M3:

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Couple days ago, but valve cover gasket, CAS, and CAS O Ring on the Miata

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Two days ago I paid someone else to lower the coilovers because winter did a number on the threads, even with anti-sieze, and I gave up trying to do it myself.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 25, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
New rear bar, courtesy of jamal (thanks jamal!):

I can't believe I put up with the old one so long, this is so much better with the roll. It's an adjustable and I'm on the medium setting, I think I might put it on the hard setting.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Battery went flat after two days of sitting. Charged it up with an ATX power supply from my old computer. +12 and ground didn't do poo poo, but -12 and +3.5 for a few hours did the job well enough to start the car.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Put on a new set of wiper blades. My old drivers side one decided to come apart on the highway during a fairly heavy rain. If it wasn't for rain-x I'd have been truly hosed.

The ones that failed on me were Trico Onyx blades that I tried because they were on sale. They were barely a year old. I've never had one fail like that so I definitely wouldn't recommend those to anyone. I replaced them with a set of Bosch Icons which I've had good luck with in the past. So expensive though. I hate spending $40 on windshield wipers.

Is there a better wiper to be had than the Icon? I've tried Rain-x brand ones before but the Icon seems to last a little longer. I'm stuck with these for awhile but if anybody knows of something nicer I'll look into them next time. PA weather is pretty rough on the old wipers so I try to get the best ones I can.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

AutoZone often runs a "buy one full price, get the second half off" on Icons - which is what got me to switch to them to begin with. Wound up being about $30 with tax for both blades. Keep an eye on your local parts store circulars - Amazon also seems to run a sale on them around the same time, so if you have Prime (or you're already ordering enough to get free shipping)...

Still a lot more than I'm used to spending on blades, but so far they've held up really well. Just checked my service records, they went on the car on Dec 9th at 83k (I'm about to break 92k). They've started to chatter a bit if it's just barely raining/misting, but they still don't streak at all.

I've never had a set of Tricos last more than maybe 4 months. Same with Rain-X blades. They just fall apart. :argh:

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I usually try to get them when Autozone has them on sale but it was raining when I left work earlier tonight and I have a 35 mile commute. Walmart was still open so I had to buy them there.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just bought a set of rear quick struts for my wife's 01 Sable. Tonight's gonna be fun.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

College Slice
I put a little shine on the tires and wheels. The rest of the car is filthy but its gonna rain again soon. At least I can sparkle a little when I'm running around today.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Broke a dipstick tube when installing a new oil pan on the 5.3, but I did get a new pickup tube and windage tray installed. Also have everything except the motor mounts disconnected on the old 2.2 in the S10 so I'll have that out once I have a free few hours.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Finally changed the oil in the 2. I don't remember when I last did it, probably 12000 miles ago. I'm a bad car owner.

Oil didn't come out as chocolate yoohoo, so I think I'm good. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phone posted:

Finally changed the oil in the 2. I don't remember when I last did it, probably 12000 miles ago. I'm a bad car owner.

Oil didn't come out as chocolate yoohoo, so I think I'm good. :v:

Depending how hard you drive it (which I believe you have your various Miatae for that) that's probably right in line with the service interval. I'd say you're fine.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Replaced the rear shocks and a couple of rubber evap system hoses in my V70. Almost all of the AWD Volvos made between '98 and '00 came with Nivomat self-leveling shocks, which a lot of owners replace with regular shocks and springs because they're so expensive (at last check the ones for my car were $290/side). I couldn't justify spending that much on a car with nearly 240k on the clock, but I like the leveling function so I grabbed a used set from a Volvo wrecker. They have much better damping than the ones I took out, so I'm happy-hopefully they'll last until I get a newer car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Fucknag posted:

Depending how hard you drive it (which I believe you have your various Miatae for that) that's probably right in line with the service interval. I'd say you're fine.

The service interval is 5000/7500 miles. I had Blackstone do some analysis and they suggested pushing it up to 10k or so. Just a bit of :effort: on my part.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

iv46vi posted:

Battery went flat after two days of sitting. Charged it up with an ATX power supply from my old computer. +12 and ground didn't do poo poo, but -12 and +3.5 for a few hours did the job well enough to start the car.

That is just the kind of redneck nerd trick I love. Need to remember that for next time I can't find the battery charger.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I just buy the Goodyear wipers at Costco when they have them on the buy one/get one coupon. They have worked fine on all 3 of my Mazda 6's and so far are fine on my E36. End up being like $8 for the pair I think and it comes around often enough that I buy one set for whichever car didn't get them last.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:
Couple of days ago I got a ST Suspensions rear sway bar and an Abarth catback installed on my 500 Turbo, the rear fascia is taking it's time getting here which is why no pics but it handles and sounds a lot better now. Probably gonna get some Eibach springs and the Tork Tune next, should be a fun little angry Italian go-kart then :v:

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Found a whole bunch of rust in the axle I had sent to me from a salvage yard :(

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

That is just the kind of redneck nerd trick I love. Need to remember that for next time I can't find the battery charger.

Yeah basically any time I need a power source between 3.3 and 24 volts for a thing I rip a power supply out of an old computer. Then when I'm done whatever fuckery I'm up to I tear it down and cannibalize the parts- all my hifi gear has detachable power cords now and I have lots of nice regulators and enough (pre-cap plague) caps lying around to start my car (or something i dunno). Okay maybe just the Kia my other two cars are pretty high on compression.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 27, 2014

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
This is more along the lines of what I'm about to do to my car :getin:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Well, I sure did something to my car. I was trying to get the cam plug holder/cam keeper loose and was using a dead blow mallet to do so. In the process of swinging the hammer like a drunken ape (the only way I know how), I broke the overflow nipple off my radiator.

This means the whole radiator is chinga, doesn't it :smithicide:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I would at least try to do some sort of NPT to barbed fitting there if there's enough space to tap it. It'll probably leak though and you'll end up buying another radiator anyway but it's worth a shot. :v:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I saw that suggestion on another auto forum. I am strangely compelled to try it. It should hold until the Texas heat begins in earnest (so, next week).

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
What ID is the hose that goes on the barb?

Go to your local hobby/model train shop, dig through their brass tube stock. They have sizes all the way from $tiny to like half an inch diameter, all specifically made so they telescope inside each other, which means at least one is going to be a good substitute.

Buy a drill bit that's the same diameter as the OD of the brass tube you pick.

Drill the hole in the radiator out to that size about 1/2" deep... be very careful. Depending on how much wall thickness you have to take out, it might be smart to start with the smallest drill bit that doesn't fit in the pre-existing hole, then work your way up to the size you need one or two drill sizes at a time.

Drain the coolant away from there, then clean the area well with acetone. Let it dry fully. Cut a piece of the brass tube about 1.25-1.5" long, lightly flare one end if you feel like it, not a full flare just enough to keep a hose clamp from sliding off. Even better if you have a bubble flaring tool. Clean the brass tube with acetone too, let it dry. Now 5-minute epoxy that fucker in there and let it cure for a few hours, then hoseclamp the hose on. Done, and probably better than stock.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
It's kind of you to assume that I have that many tools at my disposal :v: I am seeing hi-temp epoxy at auto shops and on closer inspection the break is clean enough that the two pieces mate together pretty well. I'm considering that as a temp fix and then just replacing the lot at a more convenient time.

e: most of the exhaust valves were on the tight end of .006" (the lower limit for my car). We loosened them ever so slightly and now they are definitely more audible. The car is running well so I am going to check the oil and reserve judgement.

Look at how pretty this valvetrain still is after 16 years and almost 150k miles. Even with my oil control issues :v: it looks amazing.

Old and busted. It's hard to see but there is only ONE rubber bung and the part just snaps in place. :psyduck: The Skunk2 is a much tighter fit (seriously, it took some work getting it in) and has three bungs. I don't anticipate seeing that pissing leak return.

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 27, 2014

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I got to get the M out of the city and stretch its legs a little bit through the Ohio countryside en route to visit my parents.

I put on a set of clear corners last week. I think they just make my headlights look worse than they already are.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I broke the bellhousing in half apparently and then went and got a new one for it including a spare transmission.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Went to the junkyard and found a new sail trim piece for the Saturn, and a reasonably good looking A/C compressor.

Then I rebuilt the front calipers, which ended in the braking being worse, but I think I just need a better bleed on the front. Although I'm going to take the first one I did apart again anyway just for piece of mind.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Installed rear struts on my wife's car. Fun: Getting to play with my brother-in-law's electric impact. Not so fun: The "It's getting hot and I need a/c, and I told you it'd get hot before you fixed it" that I got from my wife. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Talked my father into keeping his 1987 Volvo 240 wagon for me to restore, (fuel pump died and he parked it and never looked at it) and possibly turning the remnants of my '92 S15 Jimmy into an offroad truck. It's no Cherokee, but the chassis and engine are free and the body is only 20% iron oxide. :v: