Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Not especially versed in romcom (and especially not harem stuff), but Ore Monogatari!! (Don't think it's part of other "-monogatari" stuff, but I could be mistaken. Again, not super familiar with this stuff) is a treat of a manga. It's super charming, doesn't take ages to get the relationship going (no ending in sight, but it's not especially far along), and (while it leans more heavily on comedy) the drama that's there is well executed. Also, great faces and expressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Doesn't quite fit your criteria, but I'll recommend Mahoraba which sounds like it has a really gimmicky premise (the heroine has multiple personalities), but it actually has really solid heart and emotional beats in it. It also does the Maisson Ikkoku/Love Hina setup of being set-up in a dormitory/inn and takes advantage of it by have a very solid cast of characters who are all really well-developed. I've never watched the anime of it though, so I can't vouch for the anime version's quality.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Wark Say posted:

Okay, I can't take it anymore: I really want to watch or read a harem/romcom anime.

Not just any harem/romcom anime, mind you. I want to watch or read a story where:

• The main character guy/girl is actually interesting enough to deserve the attention of his/her harem beyond his/her "niceness". Main characters from series like Infinite Stratos, Index, the Mahouka thing and (to an extent) the -monogatari franchise have made me sick of the main guy/girl being an audience stand-in.
  • Seriously, gently caress bland main characters.
  • There's an actual endgame and you can sort-of tell, like in Bonnouji or Toradora!. No eternal blue-balls, wacky misunderstandings where it takes ages to get somewhere or last chapter/episode relationships.
  • It doesn't necessarily have to be comedy-inclined. Some drama is nice every now and then.
  • No School Days. That show made me stop watching anime for years and I can't remember why I listened to my friend back when she recommended it (in retrospect, she was most likely screwing with me for shits 'n giggles).

Watch "Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou". Yeah, it's pretty fanservicy, but it's actually played in a hilarious way, and the hero is pretty awesome when his demon-king blood starts pumping.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Wark Say posted:

Okay, I can't take it anymore: I really want to watch or read a harem/romcom anime.

Not just any harem/romcom anime, mind you. I want to watch or read a story where:

• The main character guy/girl is actually interesting enough to deserve the attention of his/her harem beyond his/her "niceness". Main characters from series like Infinite Stratos, Index, the Mahouka thing and (to an extent) the -monogatari franchise have made me sick of the main guy/girl being an audience stand-in.
  • There's an actual endgame and you can sort-of tell, like in Bonnouji or Toradora!. No eternal blue-balls, wacky misunderstandings where it takes ages to get somewhere or last chapter/episode relationships.
  • It doesn't necessarily have to be comedy-inclined. Some drama is nice every now and then.
  • No School Days. That show made me stop watching anime for years and I can't remember why I listened to my friend back when she recommended it (in retrospect, she was most likely screwing with me for shits 'n giggles).

Not harems but awesome Lovely Complex and Paradise Kiss, the former has more comedy and the second has more drama; they both have both though.

Sorta harem-like with a pretty cool girl and a bunch of supernatural dudes who may or may not want to date her: Kamisama Kiss the anime is lacking a real ending however (there is real progression), still worth a watch in my opinion.

Clannad is decent too, it does play it's emotional notes with power-chords though, which isn't necessarily for everyone

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I both read and watched both Lovely Complex and Ouran! They're great and I don't mind giving them another go. Also Tamaki was my favorite Mamoru Miyano-voiced character until Rintaro (seriously, Steins;Gate is loving great) came along.

Nisekoi REALLY wants to be smarter than it really is, but I mostly watch it to turn my brain off. I will consider Clannad. Chuu2 was fun on its first season. Second season was really hit-or-miss for me.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Oh, I just saw that you ruled out Monogatari.

In that case my advice is don't watch harem anime, it's bad for you.

I wanted to quote this because I really felt that I needed to make something clear.

I like -monogatari. I really do... or I used to, I suppose. I thought the Araragi was a cool main character due to the way he interacts with all the members of his (let's not kid ourselves here) harem. From his obnoxious sisters to his awesome girlfriend to the hot brainy chick, most of his banter / shouting matches / tsukkomi shtick with them is really good.

Then, I realized that most of it feels like a front. Like a kid trying to pretend that he's more mature than he truly is. And while that's also interesting, it kinda soured me a bit in the series.

Another thing: Ever since the anime started, I had this vibe that it was basically SHAFT show with Hiroshi Kamiya as lead #4, and for the most part, it worked okay. He's a good, if somewhat limited VA (like a slightly less talented version of Akira Ishida) that seems to be focused in voicing young / young-looking guys despite the fact that at 38-39 years of age, it sometimes feels forced when he does so. But still, he's good (and as Izaya in DRRR and Rohan in the Jojo fighting game, he was a loving revelation, almost on par with Sugita as Joseph)...

... then Shin'ichiro Miki basically knocked it out of the park as Kaiki and pretty much took over. For those 6 episodes, none of the things I mentioned about Araragi / -monogatari as a whole mattered. Araragi was more like a trapper keeper with a few shiny stamps compared to Kaiki.

So, yeah. Thanks for the recommendations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Wark Say posted:

I both read and watched both Lovely Complex and Ouran! They're great and I don't mind giving them another go. Also Tamaki was my favorite Mamoru Miyano-voiced character until Rintaro (seriously, Steins;Gate is loving great) came along.

The Ouran dub is also excellent. And on Netflix!

Also: Tamaki's voice is exactly the same as Edward Elric's.

It's kind of amazing.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

The Ouran dub is also excellent. And on Netflix!

Also: Tamaki's voice is exactly the same as Edward Elric's.

It's kind of amazing.

That's because Vic Mignogna has 2 voices, Ed Elric, and Broly. I like his work as Kurz from FMP and Ed Elric but otherwise he's kinda eh to me.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Wark Say posted:

If you have a PSP I'd recommend playing Sweet Fuse, which is an otome game with a pretty cool main character and most of the routes are genuinely really good.

Also a completely serious recommendation: Hatoful Boyfriend. It is legit the best otome game available in English.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TARDISman posted:

That's because Vic Mignogna has 2 voices, Ed Elric, and Broly. I like his work as Kurz from FMP and Ed Elric but otherwise he's kinda eh to me.

It's less that I think he's the best VA in the show and more that I like to imagine Edward Elric playing Tamaki.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

It's less that I think he's the best VA in the show and more that I like to imagine Edward Elric playing Tamaki.

Fair point, that's what I did with him as Satan in Shuffle, he outright says something that Ed would say in the middle, voice and all.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Zero_Tactility posted:

Not especially versed in romcom (and especially not harem stuff), but Ore Monogatari!! (Don't think it's part of other "-monogatari" stuff, but I could be mistaken. Again, not super familiar with this stuff) is a treat of a manga. It's super charming, doesn't take ages to get the relationship going (no ending in sight, but it's not especially far along), and (while it leans more heavily on comedy) the drama that's there is well executed. Also, great faces and expressions.

Yeah, I love this too. I just wish translations would come out faster. The art is fantastic and the characters have real heart. My only complaint is that the love interest is pretty bland in comparison to the protagonist - I have a hard time really caring about characters where being cute is essentially their personality.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Not sure where else to ask this, since there isn't a thread for it but I've seen it mentioned here:

Stein's Gate question (around episode 16 spoilers): Why were the other lab members (other than Okabe) able to remember Suzu after she went back in time to 1975, but other people, like "Mr. Braun," weren't? I thought only Okabe could retain memories across different "world threads"?

Enjoying the show so far. It's a little "anime" (even this far in Mayuri and Daru are still pretty annoying cliches), but the plot is interesting enough that it managed to hook me in by around episode 7, so I'd recommend anyone else who is bored before this point hanging in there a little longer.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Not sure where else to ask this, since there isn't a thread for it but I've seen it mentioned here:

Stein's Gate question (around episode 16 spoilers): Why were the other lab members (other than Okabe) able to remember Suzu after she went back in time to 1975, but other people, like "Mr. Braun," weren't? I thought only Okabe could retain memories across different "world threads"?

Enjoying the show so far. It's a little "anime" (even this far in Mayuri and Daru are still pretty annoying cliches), but the plot is interesting enough that it managed to hook me in by around episode 7, so I'd recommend anyone else who is bored before this point hanging in there a little longer.

The time stuff is easier to understand when you think of Okabe's "Reading Steiner" as the entire universe (And us, the audience) using him and his time thread as the point of reference for everything.

Suzuha doesn't have the Reading Steiner, because she gets flung around into different roles without really knowing otherwise.

The way time works in-universe, there are a ton of little divergence points that the universe really cares about, and nothing else really matters. If you watch a few episodes further, you see a few similar times where some D-mails get sent back, but don't influence anything and the existing universe just keeps going on.

So Suzuha can't change time by herself, and so there's no thread-leap when she jumps to 1975. So everybody remembers fixing the time machine and waiting for her to come back.

Okabe sends himself a D-mail in the same episode so that Suzuha's machine doesn't break, and that's when the time-leap actually happens. Suzuha goes back to 1975 in this one too and nobody notices either.

I don't know why Mr Braun doesn't remember her. Maybe he remembers both of 1975 self and her present day self as two different people, as a regular person who doesn't believe in time travel might. Like, when he's talking about his dead friend he wouldn't be thinking about a part-time worker at his store at all.

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 24, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
^^ That's a better explanation, I think.

Ytlaya posted:

If I'm remembering that part correctly, there was no time fuckery involved for anyone but Suzu. In real time, Okabe and co. see her leave for the past, then Okabe and co. receive the letter from old Suzu. Braun doesn't know that the Suzu he lived with was the same Suzu that went to the past because he didn't know she went to the past in the first place. As for why world lines didn't switch, its because she didn't change anything. Her going to past was a predetermined event in the history of the world.

The time fuckery can get pretty confusing mostly because it works a little differently for every device.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just noticed that The World God Only Knows in my kissmanga queue is labeled "Completed" now. I've heard good things, but I have to ask: is it worth it overall? It's a pretty hefty series, is it worth reading or does it lose steam and never recover? No specifics needed, really, I'm just curious if it went out with a wet fart and people continued to read it ironically like some people read Bleach, or if it's actually a good series all-around.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, it just finished a week or two ago. I liked it pretty much the whole way through, though the ending was a bit underwhelming.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It was mostly good. Its last arc was the weakest and seemed to have a rushed ending, but otherwise solid series overall.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

Just noticed that The World God Only Knows in my kissmanga queue is labeled "Completed" now. I've heard good things, but I have to ask: is it worth it overall? It's a pretty hefty series, is it worth reading or does it lose steam and never recover? No specifics needed, really, I'm just curious if it went out with a wet fart and people continued to read it ironically like some people read Bleach, or if it's actually a good series all-around.
The way I look at it, the individual components/developments/twists of the ending were fine if not expected. However instead of properly leading up to them or spreading them out over the course of say 20-30 chapters they were dropped into the readers' lap in about 3. It's very painfully obvious it was decided that the series should end as quickly as possible.

The rest of the series was a lot of fun.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

The World God Only Knows

I started reading it a week ago and Im probably a 3rd of the way through, its a really fun series so far. Id definitely recommend it to the guy who wanted harem stuff as well, the protagonist is a great character and not particularly nice.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just came here to say that Junni Kokuki is absolutely blowing me away. The writing is fantastic, and the world has so much depth and vibrance.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Personally, I got bored and stopped reading it halfway through the time travel arc.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, same. The pacing got pretty darn abysmal, and that arc had...other issues, to say the least. Did it ever recover from that? I dunno, I felt it started taking its fantasy plot too seriously and started moving away from the comedy that actually made the series good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah, same. The pacing got pretty darn abysmal, and that arc had...other issues, to say the least. Did it ever recover from that? I dunno, I felt it started taking its fantasy plot too seriously and started moving away from the comedy that actually made the series good.
It never really had a chance to recover because the manga got taken out behind the shed almost out of nowhere and ended.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 24, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Woah it got kiilled / wrapped? I wasn't aware of that.

There was just another anime series. Huh

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I've been watchin' anime with my sister. We watched the old Miyazaki series, Future Boy Conan, then switched to a "block format" with three shows in a rotation. One slot is taken up for the foreseeable future by Sailor Moon, and I finished showing her Madoka in the second slot, which now has Tiger and Bunny. I'm looking for a third show.

• Mixed gender group, with an ensemble cast.
  • Good and relatively frequent fights sequences - I like JoJo, but I'm watching that on my own. JoJo-level tactics, or interesting fight environments would be nice.
  • Quality animation would be preferred to "quality" "animation".
  • Fun, even if it takes itself seriously normally - Evangelion bored me to tears at a 1 episode per-night rate and needs a replacement.
  • I'd prefer something shorter, 1-2 cours, but three or four isn't out of bounds.
  • No talking animals. Sailor Moon takes care of that niche.
  • I don't really have a preference as far as what's going on setting-wise, as long as it's sufficiently different from the two that we're watching right now.

I don't really care when it's from - older shows are totally fine for this as long as they don't totally look like poo poo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Baccano!, Durarara!! or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood would all probably be good picks.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How old/young is your sister?

Dude. A certain Scientific Railgun is an amazingly fun, and surprisingly good, show.

You should also watch FLCL together. It's a hellbangwhizzer of a show.

Log Horizon is amazeballs. I REALLY enjoyed it, it's got good combat scenes and discusses tactics and whatnot, it's also very social in its plot - people trying to create a city.

Code Geass: Lelouch is also a very fun show with people fighting in mecha robots and stuff. It's super action-y, and there's definitely a...a 'layer' of strategy atop it. It's actually a really enjoyable show. I liked it a lot.

There are some fantastic shows out there, but those two are good options from your list. Railgun has way more girl characters than boy, but it's absolutely fine.

FMA:B is also a wonderful show. Durarara(!!) was also a fantastic show that I dearly enjoyed, but I don't remember there being much fighting aside from one or two times.

No fights, but I could also see you guys enjoying Silver Spoons. A slice of life about farming school. Made by the FMA person, I think. Completely unrelated in tone, though.

Again, no not a lot of fighting, but for some reason I enjoyed watching Uchouten Kazoku. It's kind of a comedy slice of life thing. err...

quote:

In Kyoto, there are three kinds of residents: humans, tanuki, and tengu. Shimogamo Yasaburou is the third son of the Shimogamo tanuki family. His father, Souichirou, had been the head of Kyoto tanuki community until he was eaten by the human members of "Friday Club." While taking care of an old tengu, fighting with other tanuki, and playing with a psychic human girl, Yasaburou approaches the truth of his father's death.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 26, 2014

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Mimir posted:

• Mixed gender group, with an ensemble cast.
  • Good and relatively frequent fights sequences - I like JoJo, but I'm watching that on my own. JoJo-level tactics, or interesting fight environments would be nice.
  • Quality animation would be preferred to "quality" "animation".
  • Fun, even if it takes itself seriously normally - Evangelion bored me to tears at a 1 episode per-night rate and needs a replacement.
  • I'd prefer something shorter, 1-2 cours, but three or four isn't out of bounds.
  • No talking animals. Sailor Moon takes care of that niche.
  • I don't really have a preference as far as what's going on setting-wise, as long as it's sufficiently different from the two that we're watching right now.

Hmmm... The no talking animals clause surprisingly narrows it down. Black Lagoon, Psycho-Pass, Escaflowne, Outlaw Star, or Hellsing might be worth trying.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo, I completely forgot about the OVAs of Read or Die. it was one of the first real animes I'd watched. It was really fun. Lots of fighting. Cool powers. Fun story. Bad rear end soundtrack.

And gently caress it. Just watch Cowboy Bebop.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I need a romance manga with lifelike characters living in a realistic world. Straight or gay, I don't mind.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Professor Latency posted:

I need a romance manga with lifelike characters living in a realistic world. Straight or gay, I don't mind.

Goshdarn Bonnouji, man.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Professor Latency posted:

Octave
Aoi Hana
Nana*
Paradise Kiss*
Fragments of Love and other stuff by that same author.
Bonnouji

Give the Shoujo, Josei, and Romance thread a browse too.

*these are licensed and available to purchase

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 27, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I've been watching Kekkaishi for a while and it's actually been really fun. I really have been enjoying the characters and developments of the story. There's no shocking twist or anything, it feels quarter slice-of-life and 3/4th shounen actiony thing, but I dig it.

It straddles the lines nicely between goofy and interesting and sometimes serious. It's about these 'magic' users trying to defend a spiritual holy ground in their neighborhood (that has since become a normal high school) from having ghosts and demons invade it - and gain access to its powers. It may sound kinda silly but the whole combat aspect of things seems to be pretty fun and well enough done. The magic the people have is based around defense and containment rather than crazy fireballs and poo poo - at least 12 episodes in - so thankfully there's not a whole lot of that stupid yelling charge-up bullshit you find in Naruto or Hunter X Hunter and stuff.

There are other organizations with their own motives that come into play as well, so there's definitely a little more to it than just people catching ghosts.

The main character's passion is baking cakes. I like the characters and their interactions with each other. And oh my goodness, the show doesn't seem to mistake long drawn out fight scenes for "compelling interest" so it never feels like it's dragging. Thank Christ.

Anyway, it's a nice fun show and you guys who enjoy all those actiony shows that aren't total grimdark things should give it a shot, if you haven't already. Nobody's died in it yet, so if you need the Ant King to constantly be squishing people's heads off or ripping limbs away, this might not be for you.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Do anime musicals exist?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Davincie posted:

Do anime musicals exist?

Do you mean anime in musical format, or a musical about anime? Because if the latter, there are literally hundreds of them. For example (lifted from another thread in the forums): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SzwSgyF4lI

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

No an anime in musical format, I know about the tons of musical adaptions from animes (and games since I watched the Phoenix Wright one)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Davincie posted:

Do anime musicals exist?

K-On! :colbert:

Seriously though, that seems like an untapped niche. Especially considering how often the VAs sing the credit songs and do character songs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Love Live!, which has a new season airing at the moment, has some musical like interludes but they're not really common enough to call it that.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Terper posted:

Goshdarn Bonnouji, man.

a kitten posted:

Octave
Aoi Hana
Nana*
Paradise Kiss*
Fragments of Love and other stuff by that same author.
Bonnouji

Give the Shoujo, Josei, and Romance thread a browse too.

*these are licensed and available to purchase

Thanks for recommending Bonnouji guys. I've been marathoning it since I checked out the first chapters thanks to your recommendation, and it's legit one of the best romance manga I have read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Davincie posted:

Do anime musicals exist?

Half of the last episode of Kin'iro Mosaic is a musical but that's all I've got.

• Locked thread