Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
King Oscar in olive oil on toasted sour dough with Cholula, too drat tasty.

My dog loves sardines as well, as soon as I crack a can she comes running.

Execu-speak fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

I have to admit, I don't get the hot pepper or mustard sardines. If you want that stuff, wouldn't you just put it in yourself? And wouldn't the ingredients you picked beforehand be of better quality? Or is there a canned marination that occurs that I'm not aware of?

Please, educate me on such dadly affairs.

Tomato sauce seems to somehow help with conservation of the fish.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

doctorfrog posted:

I have to admit, I don't get the hot pepper or mustard sardines. If you want that stuff, wouldn't you just put it in yourself? And wouldn't the ingredients you picked beforehand be of better quality? Or is there a canned marination that occurs that I'm not aware of?

Answered your own question. hot peppers in oil and oily fish infuses every molecule of sardine with hot pepper flavor. That's not something you can get with a bottle of hot sauce. Same's true of 'dines in hot sauce and 'dines in mustard. Also, 'dine mustard and 'dine hot sauce ain't, like, normal condiments, they are special mustards and hot sauces.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

doctorfrog posted:

I haven't liked any of the flavored sardines. Mustard, chili sauce, or tomato didn't do much for me. Olive Oil gives you a nice neutral base to work with

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Tomato sauce seems to somehow help with conservation of the fish.

The fertilizer used on tomatoes is a an aphrodisiac to sardines. It leeches into the ocean and accelerates their reproductive cycle.

So tomatoes in sardines doesn't directly help with conservation, but the tomato industry does.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ZombieParts posted:

I haven't liked any of the flavored sardines. Mustard, chili sauce, or tomato didn't do much for me. Olive Oil gives you a nice neutral base to work with

I'll have to try it, but my assumption was that having a cannery add a sauce (other than olive oil) is just a way to perk up lower-quality 'dines.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My least favorite sardine side effect is how my piss stinks like fish for a couple days afterward.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

5er posted:

My least favorite sardine side effect is how my piss stinks like fish for a couple days afterward.

consult your doctor.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Haverchuck posted:

consult your doctor.

if your piss isn't stinking like fish after you eat sardines, i would rather think you need to consult a doctor

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

5er posted:

if your piss isn't stinking like fish after you eat sardines, i would rather think you need to consult a doctor

the prescription: more sardines

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Checking in to report that Crown Prince kipper snacks mixed with Japanese mayo and sriracha makes an amazing filling for sushi hand rolls. I made them with the kipper\spicy mayo mixture, slivers of cucumber, enoki mushrooms, and the requisite sticky rice, and it tasted just like a restaurant salmon-skin handroll. gently caress yeah.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
i'm breaking up our regularly scheduled sardine thread to report that i found mozarella chicken spam and will be eating this pretty soon. Back to fish talk

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
MODS

Soviet
Jul 17, 2003

stick it in me
Bought these smoked sprats today and just tried them and holy poo poo they are good

Almost no fishie taste/aftertaste

A+++ will buy and eat again

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I have purchased three tins of sardines but have not consumed any yet. I'm afraid that I will have a bad first impression by either eating a bad example or a bad application of the dudes.

I have:

Bela Portuguese sardines in tomato sauce

Bumblebee in mustard

Beach Cliff in oil

I'm thinking of sautéing some garlic and then adding some chopped tomatoes and red wine vinegar, then adding the Belas and mashing that poo poo up. Mash up avocado and spread that on Triscuits, and put the sardine mixture on top. Kind of a half assed version of Alton Brown's recipe.

I think maybe doing the Bumblebee or the Beach Cliff straight up on a cracker might be a bad idea as an introduction to the world of our undersea friend.

Report:

Bela brand sardines are wonderful. Had one on a Triscuit with hot sauce.

Beach Cliff mixed with sauteed garlic and tomato on a cracker with mashed avocado was not so good.

Don't buy cheap sardines.

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 25, 2014

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I have not heard of Bela Portuguese, but I have yet to have a bad sardine-in-tomato-sauce can.

I'd just dive into those. Add some hot sauce if you want. Or put it on crackers too.

If you start off making complicated recipes, you might see their flavor as an unwelcome addition to the dish.

(For what it's worth, I didn't like sardines when I first tried them. Now they're my jam.)

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
In continuing my adventure with tinned ocean critters I bought a can of chopped clams. Not sure what to do with them, though. Any ideas, thread?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Hector Beerlioz posted:

In continuing my adventure with tinned ocean critters I bought a can of chopped clams. Not sure what to do with them, though. Any ideas, thread?

Sprinkle with lemon and eat with a fork.

Mix with mayo and scriracha and chopped spring onions and put it on a sandwich.

Saute in butter and garlic, eat over pasta with parsley and lemon.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Hector Beerlioz posted:

make chowdah

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hypha posted:

I have never had sardines, I thought they were supposed to be gross and stinky.

I have written it down for my grocery shopping list.

God bless this thread.

I know this sounds dumb, but I think this every time a "OMG A FOOD" thread or topic comes up.

People wouldn't make and eat tinned sardines and anchovies since time immemorial if they loving sucked.
If you ever look at an odd food product or dish and think "OMFG BARF ALERT", follow that up with "people eat this for a reason and that reason isn't 'this sucks'".

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

5er posted:

No really, your piss shouldn't stink like fish for any reason.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

No really, your piss shouldn't stink like fish for any reason.

Gristle McThornBody
Sep 28, 2005
Bob Johnson!..oh,wait..
Last night, I combined two of our favorite canned fishes: A tin of King Oscars together with chopped Spanish anchovy stuffed olives and diced white onion on crackers.

Opened a beer, watched a This Old House late night rerun and became the dadliest of dads.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
hello 'dine thread, you inspired me to try something

fried some diced bell pepper, onion, garlic and pickled jalapeno
just enough for it to soften but not to become too brown

put it in a bowl and added some diced tomato, with the sardines ready to go

added the 'dines
i used skinless and boneless ones in olive oil
mixed it all up properly and added some salt and pepper

put that poo poo in the fridge for a couple of hours to let the flavors settle in
toast your favorite 'dine bread (i just used some baguette here) and spread the contents of the bowl on it
finally, sprinkle just a few drops of balsamic vinegar on it and grind some more fresh pepper on those bastards

et voila!

i guess you could put some fresh basil on top of that as well but i didnt have any

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
This thread has inspired me to try making puttanesca for dinner tonight. Except I am using anchovy paste instead of sardines. I just want to make fishy slut pasta.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

That looks delicious and probably tastes even better. Goes on the "to do" fish list.

naem
May 29, 2011

Poetry

E: did I just run into a goon at the grocery store buying sardines? He looked just like me and talked about "the internet" with his lady friend behind me in line I'm weirded out

naem fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 27, 2014

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
My wife really hates my renewed interest in sardines. My cat feels otherwise. That's a majority vote right there honey.

Garum is definitely something I've always wanted to do. But I don't really live near a body of water, so getting fish with their guts inside of them is pretty tough. I want to travel to Italy to get that garum-esque stuff, but apparently its pricey.

Pliny the Elder would literally water it down and drink it.

I add fish sauce to almost everything. My BBQ sauce has it as the #3 ingredient. Red Boat is super loving good, and I use it if the actual fish sauce is part of the flavor. Otherwise I use the one with the squid on it.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

hell ya.

someone should make a gang tag that says Sardine Crew and incorporates the phrase "by special royal permission" into it

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Dregs posted:

This thread has inspired me to try making puttanesca for dinner tonight. Except I am using anchovy paste instead of sardines. I just want to make fishy slut pasta.

I just want to reiterate again for the thread NOT to use sardines in puttanesca.
I don't know why this keeps happening or who's doing this but for fucks sake don't use sardines. Sardines are not anchovies. Anchovies are salty and pungent and are to be used sparingly as a condiment or addition to a sauce. Sardines are just some chunky fish with sauces around them.
DO NOT CONFUSE THEM.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
last time i got the cheapest trader joe's diners, they were "lightly smoked in oil" and pretty good

this time I got the more expensive premium organic whatever ones but they don't say if they are smoked :shrug:

im gonna mix them with mustard and garlic and serve on crackers

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

just bought some fish sauce

i'm supposed to put this on everything right?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Are you an ancient roman and/or modern SE asian?
If so, yes.
If not, also yes. It's delicious. What brand did you get?

e: this shits crazy but true, if you par-boil potatoes before you roast them, you can toss them with a little fish sauce before they go in the oven and suddenly you want to eat 1 million potatoes.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
Any fish sauce connoisseurs in gbs today? I have a big bottle of sauce with three crabs on the label and it's pretty pungent. Is my stuff good stuff or scrub sauce??

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Haverchuck posted:

Any fish sauce connoisseurs in gbs today? I have a big bottle of sauce with three crabs on the label and it's pretty pungent. Is my stuff good stuff or scrub sauce??

I like that one and I've seen it in a lot of Thai restaurant kitchens

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Haverchuck posted:

Sadly my friend that is scrub level fish sauce as it has sweeteners in it and isn't 'the real deal'.

That said....it's what's in my pantry currently.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

yeah i got that popular thai kitchen brand and it's just anchovies and sugar in the ingredient list. picked it up on a whim at walmart and it's the only one they had. hopefully it will still put an extra kick to the ramen i bought

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I should have been born a thai lady-boy in all honesty since all I want to do is shovel rice paper wrapped lettuce and marinated carrots dipped in fish sauce into my flavor hole 24/7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Burning Mustache posted:

hello 'dine thread, you inspired me to try something

fried some diced bell pepper, onion, garlic and pickled jalapeno
just enough for it to soften but not to become too brown

put it in a bowl and added some diced tomato, with the sardines ready to go

added the 'dines
i used skinless and boneless ones in olive oil
mixed it all up properly and added some salt and pepper

put that poo poo in the fridge for a couple of hours to let the flavors settle in
toast your favorite 'dine bread (i just used some baguette here) and spread the contents of the bowl on it
finally, sprinkle just a few drops of balsamic vinegar on it and grind some more fresh pepper on those bastards

et voila!

i guess you could put some fresh basil on top of that as well but i didnt have any
I eat something similar to this pretty much every day, sardines + diced pickles/tomato/onions/peppers/whatever is great, would recommend adding avocado to that recipe though cause sardines + avocado is a match worthy of gods and will probably help you live as long as them.

• Locked thread