Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

How many bell towers are there anyways? I only found 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Kimmalah posted:

It isn't. Doors of Pharros leads to Brightstone Cove, which is where another old soul can be found.

If you haven't already, also go into Huntsman's Copse and follow the areas all the way to Iron Keep. There's another there

I guess Corpse to Keep is back in the Shaded Woods? I kinda just traced along the wall there due to the fog mostly.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Robot Randy posted:

Fall Control rules in this. Made it down the pit without taking any damage :snoop:

I did too, by taking the ladder down. :snoop:

Sober posted:

I guess Corpse to Keep is back in the Shaded Woods? I kinda just traced along the wall there due to the fog mostly.

No. Go to the building that leads from Majula to Heide, talk to the lady who sells miracles. She'll turn the path for you which leads to Huntsman's Copse. If she isn't there, look above the Dragonrider arena in Heide and exhaust her dialogue.

The foggy part of Shaded Woods leads to Shaded Ruins > Doors of Pharros > Brightstone.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 27, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

The six flame-immune and dark-resistant enemies that circle you the moment you pull the the switch next to Rosabeth is a really lovely move.

It's one you can see coming if you ever went through the place and took a look around after killing two of them. Hmm, more doors on unreachable ledges and the only other doors had enemies behind them? Yeah that switch is a trap.

I think the only instances of surprise stuff that weren't telegraphed hard were the fire longsword encounter and that wonderful area in Harvest Valley. Thankfully the latter was amazingly easy to cheese.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Roobanguy posted:

How many bell towers are there anyways? I only found 2.

Two.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Thankfully the latter was amazingly easy to cheese.

I used the yearn spell and shot them all with lightning from outside the doorway. :v:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Huh.

Does ringing the bells actually do anything other than you getting some items at the end?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Even if you blunder into it without expecting it, you can just go up the ledge and pick them off with the method of your choice while they trundle single-file towards you. If they get too close, drop down, repeat the process. I did it with a straight up sword and board character because they can't move past each other on that ledge.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

Huh.

Does ringing the bells actually do anything other than you getting some items at the end?

Opens the boss fog gate (or makes it accessible I should say).

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kimmalah posted:

Opens the boss fog gate (or makes it accessible I should say).

Even for the Iron Keep boss?

Good thing I rung that bell first I guess. :v:

RogueTM
Jul 8, 2004

Hmmmmm
So one of the Turtle guys dropped the "Old Ironclad Armor", which make you look like a turtle....

And makes you move like a turtle, I think you actually moves slower just wearing this chest piece, than you did wearing a full set of Havels in DS1.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Roobanguy posted:

Even for the Iron Keep boss?

Good thing I rung that bell first I guess. :v:

Oh, no I don't think it does for that. I was talking about Belfry Luna mostly. In the other one, I'm not sure if it does anything other than piss of the Bellbros. :)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah I hosed up and didn't see the ledges is all. Also didn't expect poison dudes to be totally immune to my pyromancy.

If I burned a human effigy by mistake, did I screw myself out of covenant invading too for a while?

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Loving the iron keep twist.
Me: oh thank gently caress I finally killed the smelter demon! And a bonfire! Time to go back and check if I-OH gently caress ITS BACK :stonk:

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

LightReaper posted:

Loving the iron keep twist.
Me: oh thank gently caress I finally killed the smelter demon! And a bonfire! Time to go back and check if I-OH gently caress ITS BACK :stonk:

You can go back to the bonfire while the Pursuer spawns to light it just in case. He never goes away permanently till he dies.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I hosed up and didn't see the ledges is all. Also didn't expect poison dudes to be totally immune to my pyromancy.

If I burned a human effigy by mistake, did I screw myself out of covenant invading too for a while?

There's a bone something or other that you get at the beginning of the game that you could try that restores world links if you're not invading as much.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

They aren't immune to fire, or at least not Firestorm.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hmm, the Archdrake staff makes my dark orb do 100 more damage, at the cost of 100 damage on my sorceries compared to the starting staff. Interesting.

Control Volume posted:

There's a bone something or other that you get at the beginning of the game that you could try that restores world links if you're not invading as much.

It says I can't use it at this time; I think the effigy just wore off and there's not really anyone to invade around my soul memory.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

RBA Starblade posted:

Hmm, the Archdrake staff makes my dark orb do 100 more damage, at the cost of 100 damage on my sorceries compared to the starting staff. Interesting.

It says I can't use it at this time; I think the effigy just wore off and there's not really anyone to invade around my soul memory.

It has better scaling compared to the Sorcerer's Staff - remember this.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Burning a Human Effigy only temporarily "disconnects" you, and only in that bonfire's zone. The Bone of Order is for a different situation: if you frequently disconnect from PVP/invasions (not sure about co-op) then your character loses their online privileges basically. Bone of Order restores those privileges but is limited to only once per character (aside from memory editing there is no way I am aware of to obtain another Bone of Order).

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010
Finally got to play a little! As soon as I was in control of my character I went to the left because there could be loot! Then i walked down the cliff and died the first time about 30 seconds into the game. :v:

As soon as I got my swords I kicked the Hippocyclops' rear end to restore my honor. :black101: (spoilering just in case)

I really love how the game feels untill this point.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Supposedly a new Bone of Order will spawn at the altar in Things Betwixt if you wait there for multiple hours with no bone in your inventory.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Kimmalah posted:

No. Go to the building that leads from Majula to Heide, talk to the lady who sells miracles. She'll turn the path for you which leads to Huntsman's Copse. If she isn't there, look above the Dragonrider arena in Heide and exhaust her dialogue.

The foggy part of Shaded Woods leads to Shaded Ruins > Doors of Pharros > Brightstone.

Wow I really should be taking notes like Kay does in her blind walkthrough. I totally forgot about that thing on that path.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Control Volume posted:

Try using the dried finger. I'm fairly sure that rests any sort of invasion cooldown timer.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Bone of Order is for restoring your connection if you're being punished for disconnecting during an invasion, it will not reverse burning an effigy. And as I understand it, the effigy thing only works in the area connected to the bonfire or at the very least will not prevent covenant invasions.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
I, um, want to punch the people responsible for jumping in this game in their genitals until they fall off.

Is there any way to make this even remotely responsive? Hearing the stick click down whilst dashing and having my character do nothing has been great!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Umberger posted:

Burning a Human Effigy only temporarily "disconnects" you, and only in that bonfire's zone. The Bone of Order is for a different situation: if you frequently disconnect from PVP/invasions (not sure about co-op) then your character loses their online privileges basically. Bone of Order restores those privileges but is limited to only once per character (aside from memory editing there is no way I am aware of to obtain another Bone of Order).

I burned a human effigy somewhere that I can't recall where I burned. But in huntsman's copse before the skeleton lords I have a white soapstone symbole with a red line through it. Is that what happened?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Schwack posted:

I, um, want to punch the people responsible for jumping in this game in their genitals until they fall off.

Is there any way to make this even remotely responsive? Hearing the stick click down whilst dashing and having my character do nothing has been great!

Have you been using x360ce?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Meat Recital posted:

I'm not digging this new lose-max-hp-on-death system at all. It feels punitive in a way losing your humanity in Dark Souls 1 never did.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Schwack posted:

Sounds like something's wrong with your controller, I've never had a problem with jumping.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sankis posted:

I burned a human effigy somewhere that I can't recall where I burned. But in huntsman's copse before the skeleton lords I have a white soapstone symbole with a red line through it. Is that what happened?

Yes, that's what that symbol means. You must have burned it in the Undead Lockaway bonfire.

Co-op, get the Ring of Binding or use a Ring of Life Protection when you find them. Never worry about hollowing or human effigies again.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Shoving a giant loving arrow in Pursuer's face is one of the most satisfying things I've done in this game. gently caress him and his bird.

Do I get anything cool from killing dude's for the Rat King and are any of the Pharos devices down there worth using?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Schwack posted:

I haven't had any issues with jumping at all yet, so maybe you should check whether your controller is registering the button press correctly.

I do really hope they patch in an option to do jumping the old way, though. The button works fine, but muscle memory has killed a few times already now.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Schwack posted:

You could try changing the jump button to B/Circle like it was in Dark Souls 1. I've never rarely had an issue with jumps in this game.

Cardiovorax posted:

I do really hope they patch in an option to do jumping the old way, though. The button works fine, but muscle memory has killed a few times already now.

There is one in the "Game Options" menu. :ssh:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Shoving a giant loving arrow in Pursuer's face is one of the most satisfying things I've done in this game. gently caress him and his bird.

Do I get anything cool from killing dude's for the Rat King and are any of the Pharos devices down there worth using?

His bird is actually helpful to you. :v:

You get lockstones for every person you kill. Most of the pharros contraptions are traps designed to turn Doors of Pharros into something of a deathtrap for your opponents. I think one leads to some treasure. Unless you're ratbroing, don't waste your lockstones in there.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Genocyber posted:

Sounds like something's wrong with your controller, I've never had a problem with jumping.

It's definitely registering, but it just seems incredibly non-responsive on short takeoff jumps.

edit: The same problem happens with the shield bash, so much so that I basically never use it because lining up the three different presses at exactly the right moment seems to result in me just attacking 90% of the time.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'd like advice on my character.

Ignore my character; I play one hand weapon and shield with heavier armor, but I'm able to stay under 70% load. I play both with blocking shield and with dodging. Does anyone see anything I am doing incorrectly in my build? Anything I need to know about?

There are two things I struggle with in this game. Most importantly, I don't know how to fight multiple enemies at the same time. I am in Lost Bastille (have yet to do Heide), so this is becoming more of a problem. I also do not know how to execute parries correctly. I've only been able to execute it on the tutorial monsters, and even then only one out of every five times.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there really not a bonfire between the boss of Brightstone and the Harpy smith? That's a long as hell walk.

Convergence
Apr 9, 2005
Just a PSA: The keyboard and mouse controls are somewhere between totally broken and just really lovely. There is unfixable mouse lag (unless you use hotkey scripts which are a pain the rear end) which makes the game almost unplayable with a fast weapon. I've attacked several NPCs because of how non-obvious it is that you should NEVER EVER CLICK if there is dialouge or a menu up. Was impossible to rotate my character during creation as far as I can tell. Game tells you to press Y? Good luck figuring out what the gently caress you're supposed to push (turns out it's "N" even though there is almost no way to figure this out without blind trial and error).

This is a lovely port. I'm getting a controller tomorrow and will start over but it's ridiculous how little they tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Schwack posted:

It's definitely registering, but it just seems incredibly non-responsive on short takeoff jumps.

edit: The same problem happens with the shield bash, so much so that I basically never use it because lining up the three different presses at exactly the right moment seems to result in me just attacking 90% of the time.

Thats weird with the jumping, since its extremely responsive on my ps3 controller, but the shield bash seems to be intentional. I kinda don't like how you have to get the timing down to a T with the shield bash. Same with the jump attack.