Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Revol posted:

I'd like advice on my character.

snip

Ignore my character; I play one hand weapon and shield with heavier armor, but I'm able to stay under 70% load. I play both with blocking shield and with dodging. Does anyone see anything I am doing incorrectly in my build? Anything I need to know about?

There are two things I struggle with in this game. Most importantly, I don't know how to fight multiple enemies at the same time. I am in Lost Bastille (have yet to do Heide), so this is becoming more of a problem. I also do not know how to execute parries correctly. I've only been able to execute it on the tutorial monsters, and even then only one out of every five times.

Raise your agility to at least 100 (25 ADP if no ATN spent) and you're on a good road for that, the parrying window is much shorter from what I experienced, I've so far only had success on the Hollow Footsoldiers that wield daggers and handaxes. If your weapon swings in an arc, try to hit multiple enemies with it if they're grouped together. Use throwables like Firebombs and Throwing Knives too, they're good compared to back then. Since you use one handed weapons with a shield, try using spears if they all line up (like the Royal Swordsmen do in the Bastille).

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there really not a bonfire between the boss of Brightstone and the Harpy smith? That's a long as hell walk.

There is, it's just a different trek you have to take in that place to access it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there really not a bonfire between the boss of Brightstone and the Harpy smith? That's a long as hell walk.

There's actually a bonfire in the room adjacent to that NPC. Explore a bit more. Hint: you have to drop into that room, it doesn't open from the outside/ground floor.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Internet Kraken posted:

There's a bonfire right next to her. After that if you head left you only have a few small sections between you and the boss.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
The Belfry is certainly an active place. Can't take two steps without some spirit spawning to be hit in the head by many maces.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is there a good source of repair powder somewhere? Even with the increased durability and the ring that lessens it, the Dragonrider Twinblade still degrades crazy fast, and I'm sick of having to turn around and run back to a bonfire halfway through an area.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
What's with those miniature assholes in Belfry? What sort of dmg do they do? Half of the dmg went straight through my shield.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Sydin posted:

Is there a good source of repair powder somewhere? Even with the increased durability and the ring that lessens it, the Dragonrider Twinblade still degrades crazy fast, and I'm sick of having to turn around and run back to a bonfire halfway through an area.

Chancellor Wellager in Drangleic Castle sells an unlimited supply of it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kimmalah posted:

There's a bonfire right next to her. After that if you head left you only have a few small sections between you and the boss.

A bonfire in that room is completely useless because I could just use the bonfire right above it. Still a 5 minute spider infested walk between that area and the boss.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I have to say, the slightly new backstab mechanics are throwing me off in PVP. It's significantly harder to land one for me.

Though it might have something to do with the fact that I am at 69.9% equip load. Does that affect run speed?

YOSPOS King
Apr 14, 2014

by XyloJW

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Holy poo poo this game is long. I'm 40 hours in and still have a couple of areas I think.

lol

Scimitar +10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What determines how many souls you get from Belfry PvP? I seem to be consistently getting a pittance.

Also I wish the Blue Sentinels was even remotely as active as Belfry.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sydin posted:

Blacksmiths sell it. And there's a merchant in Drangleic Castle who sells infinite amounts of it.

Internet Kraken posted:

A bonfire in that room is completely useless because I could just use the bonfire right above it. Still a 5 minute spider infested walk between that area and the boss.

I don't really know what to tell you. I just walked it and it's really loving short.

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I am having so much trouble leveling up in the sunbro covenant. I just joined it rather late in the game (lvl 87 soul memory 1.3 million)

What the gently caress??? I'm level 89 and have around 500k soul memory...............

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Schwack posted:

It's definitely registering, but it just seems incredibly non-responsive on short takeoff jumps.

edit: The same problem happens with the shield bash, so much so that I basically never use it because lining up the three different presses at exactly the right moment seems to result in me just attacking 90% of the time.

I'm having the same problem pulling off guard breaks with keyboard/mouse, every time I tap w plus attack it seems to not register at all

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Elysiume posted:

What determines how many souls you get from Belfry PvP? I seem to be consistently getting a pittance.

Also I wish the Blue Sentinels was even remotely as active as Belfry.

I don't know, maybe it's like the souls you get when you kill a BP? Some amount calculated from SM?

I got summoned twice while in the Blue Cops yesterday, but it was just in the Forest. I don't know if it's just because people aren't wearing their rings or what.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART
Does anyone have the Llewellyn Gloves? I am willing to trade something for them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Umberger posted:

Chancellor Wellager in Drangleic Castle sells an unlimited supply of it.

Still that far off, huh? Dammit. I guess I'll just have to deal with switching to back up weapons. It always makes me a little sad though: I feel like such a boss rolling through everything with a giant stone twinblade.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kimmalah posted:

His bird is actually helpful to you. :v:

You get lockstones for every person you kill. Most of the pharros contraptions are traps designed to turn Doors of Pharros into something of a deathtrap for your opponents. I think one leads to some treasure. Unless you're ratbroing, don't waste your lockstones in there.

Always partially open the big doors in that area, there's mammoth dudes that you can kill who still can't leave their little area, and in each of the big doors there's loot. Choose the bottom door to unlock since you can walk through it and the mammoths can't.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

neetengie posted:

I don't know, maybe it's like the souls you get when you kill a BP? Some amount calculated from SM?

I got summoned twice while in the Blue Cops yesterday, but it was just in the Forest. I don't know if it's just because people aren't wearing their rings or what.
Belfry is non-stop, pretty much. I'm using Steam's browser because if I alt-tab I'll probably miss a summon. Isn't Blue Sentinels just the zone you're in and you need to be human? Belfry has a limited range where you can be summoned, but with how active it is right now, that's enough.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Convergence posted:

Just a PSA: The keyboard and mouse controls are somewhere between totally broken and just really lovely. There is unfixable mouse lag (unless you use hotkey scripts which are a pain the rear end) which makes the game almost unplayable with a fast weapon. I've attacked several NPCs because of how non-obvious it is that you should NEVER EVER CLICK if there is dialouge or a menu up. Was impossible to rotate my character during creation as far as I can tell. Game tells you to press Y? Good luck figuring out what the gently caress you're supposed to push (turns out it's "N" even though there is almost no way to figure this out without blind trial and error).

This is a lovely port. I'm getting a controller tomorrow and will start over but it's ridiculous how little they tried.

MKB works fine. 5 minutes in the keybinds will tell you what you need. Only thing I had trouble with was two handing weapons, but after I double checked I haven't had trouble since.

E: right clicking in menus gives you all of the available context options.

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 27, 2014

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Is the item that lets you respec permanent or one use only? If it's the latter then are there more to be found?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Is the item that lets you respec permanent or one use only? If it's the latter then are there more to be found?
One use/yes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

It's one use but there's 4 more over the course of the game. You'll probably have 2 of them by the time you kill your second boss.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Elysiume posted:

Belfry is non-stop, pretty much. I'm using Steam's browser because if I alt-tab I'll probably miss a summon. Isn't Blue Sentinels just the zone you're in and you need to be human? Belfry has a limited range where you can be summoned, but with how active it is right now, that's enough.

You also need to wear your ring, while the Way of Blue people wear their ring, in the same zone, while human. I'm tempted to play part of the Belfry since I need chunks, but I'm trying to make this character just Blue Sentinel only with no sin, while wielding the Sinner's Sword.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

neetengie posted:

You also need to wear your ring, while the Way of Blue people wear their ring, in the same zone, while human. I'm tempted to play part of the Belfry since I need chunks, but I'm trying to make this character just Blue Sentinel only with no sin, while wielding the Sinner's Sword.
I currently have 2 titanite, 2 large titanite, and 9 titanite chunks. :saddowns:

Where is a good place to do some Blue Sentinel invading? I want to change things up. Are there any hotspots I should know of?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 27, 2014

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I don't think Bellbroing gives you sin, only red orb invasions do? Is that right?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Tallgeese posted:

I don't think Bellbroing gives you sin, only red orb invasions do? Is that right?

I don't think it gives you sin. Possibly Brotherhood of Blood, but I don't think Bellbros do.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Anyone else finding it really difficult to get BoB arena matches going?

I'm having to wait like 5-10 mins between matches, where as the PS3 was literally under 30 seconds per match.

This blows... :(

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I paid forty pounds to sit here weeping at my computer.

It was forty pounds well spent.

Gonna play some One Finger Death Punch for a bit...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Moola posted:

Anyone else finding it really difficult to get BoB arena matches going?

I'm having to wait like 5-10 mins between matches, where as the PS3 was literally under 30 seconds per match.

This blows... :(

What did you expect, it's pc pvp.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Elysiume posted:

I currently have 2 titanite, 2 large titanite, and 9 titanite chunks. :saddowns:

Where is a good place to do some Blue Sentinel invading? I want to change things up. Are there any hotspots I should know of?

NG+, because most people there are sinners.

Tallgeese posted:

I know it doesn't, I just don't want to abandon my covenant (I know that doesn't give sin either) and stay blueblooded for the entire run.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Genocyber posted:

What did you expect, it's pc pvp.

Man you are spinning me the gently caress out by replying to both of my posts with the same reply in different threads. :psyduck:

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I didn't get a sunlight medal for summoning a sunbro for a boss fight. :( Yes, he survived.

Was it because I summoned an NPC first?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Super fun warning for people just entering Brightstone Cove: Any contact whatsoever with the trap boulders instantly kills you. If you ambush the guy springing the trap and touch the boulder in the process, you die. I learned this after having missed the bonfire on the way :shepicide:

e: question while I'm here: If I want to infuse a weapon, do I have to get it to normal +5 first?

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Red Crown posted:

e: question while I'm here: If I want to infuse a weapon, do I have to get it to normal +5 first?

As far as I am aware there is no requirement for weapon infusion aside from the material/soul costs.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Cyberventurer posted:

I didn't get a sunlight medal for summoning a sunbro for a boss fight. :( Yes, he survived.

Was it because I summoned an NPC first?

Maybe only the one getting summoned gets a medal if they are a sunbro?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mindblast posted:

Maybe only the one getting summoned gets a medal if they are a sunbro?

No, you should get a medal if you summon one and kill a boss with them alive, I don't know if it's a glitch he's experiencing but he should have received one.

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.

Red Crown posted:

Super fun warning for people just entering Brightstone Cove: Any contact whatsoever with the trap boulders instantly kills you. If you ambush the guy springing the trap and touch the boulder in the process, you die. I learned this after having missed the bonfire on the way :shepicide:

The upgrade and infusion paths are different, so you can get a weapon to +10 first and then infuse it, or infuse it and then upgrade it.
And if you decide to undo the infusion, the "+10" (or whatever level) still remains intact.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

neetengie posted:

It has better scaling compared to the Sorcerer's Staff - remember this.

Yeah, remembered how it worked and it's outpacing it now. I also made it a Magic Archdrake Staff, to pump the sorceries more (hexes are lacking due to lack of faith, but once I get superior ones I'll swap back or get a new staff). Still can't co-op, am I that far out of range of everyone? I'm only level 80 at the Iron Keep.

I'm about to give up on swords and keep with the fire longsword forever too. I guess I could spend a few dozen thousand souls into letting me use others, but ehhh. Also half-considering speccing to just sorcery and pyromancy; splitting between sorcery and hexes is taking a lot out I think. Also you get a hilarious amount of loot with the covetous gold ring +1 and the travelling merchant's hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Haha, I feel like an idiot, didn't know you could loop around Bastille on its own until I watched my brother and realized I forgot to check back at a certain point. I thought you had to go through No Man's Wharf to get to the gate control by the McDuff bonfire to finish the loop.