Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, Beck has several significant and important musical numbers in it because it's about a band. But I wouldn't call it a musical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Davincie posted:

Do anime musicals exist?

Interstella5555555 - this one is more like Pink Floyd's The Wall than otherwise. There's the trailer.

Nerima Daikon Brothers - this one is just freakin' awesome. Here's the first episode.

http://myanimelist.net/anime/731/Interstella5555:_The_5tory_of_The_5ecret_5tar_5ystem
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1655/Nerima_Daikon_Brothers

VVV - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjCmuxlxq10 :allears:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 27, 2014

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Davincie posted:

Do anime musicals exist?

Red Garden was sold to me as an anime musical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCof_sNqBzM

But from what I remember, I don't think they actually sing all that often. :v:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I guess if you squint and look at it sideways, Macross Frontier could qualify as "musical".

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Yeah I'm not counting K-on! and Beck cause the singing makes sense in context. Nerima Daikon Brothers sounds like the sort of thing I'm looking for though. Maybe Red Garden too but I can't remember any Gonzo shows I've liked.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I enjoyed watching Summer Wars and The Girl who leapt through time a lot. I know about the latest movie Mamoru Hosoda made (wolf children) but is there anything else out there that resembles his work?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Davincie posted:

Do anime musicals exist?

I want to plug Princess Tutu here, not because it's a musical but because the way it tells its story and its music are both different enough from the normal anime fare to be notable. Also it's surprisingly good and worth finding excuses to introduce to more people.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I enjoyed watching Summer Wars and The Girl who leapt through time a lot. I know about the latest movie Mamoru Hosoda made (wolf children) but is there anything else out there that resembles his work?
In terms of films with a similar style/tone I'd say that some of the Ghibli films will scratch that itch, but otherwise not really. Hosoda is pretty special. Definitely be sure to watch Wolf Children, obviously.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I'd say that some of the Ghibli films will scratch that itch, but otherwise not really. Hosoda is pretty special.

Yeah I thought as much. Oh well thanks anyways!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The REAL Goobusters posted:

What about 5 Centimeters per Second?

Also, I didn't really get why people liked Summer Wars. It felt kinda, you know, like "Okay, yup. There it is." Not bad or anything, but I was very ambivalent towards it for some reason.

Maybe check out Wings of Honneamise or Garden of Words or something, too?

It sounds like you are wanting some slower moving but good quality not quite slice of life type of stuff. That's a horrible description, but whatever. I know I'm dumb.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'd second the recommendation for Wings of Honneamise but that's because it's probably my favourite anime movie of all time and too many people don't know that it exists.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
Huge fan of Serial Experiments Lain, FLCL, Ergo Proxy, Darker than Black etc. Looking for something mind bending with amazing animation quality and a well written story.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Fox Ironic posted:

Huge fan of Serial Experiments Lain, FLCL, Ergo Proxy, Darker than Black etc. Looking for something mind bending with amazing animation quality and a well written story.

Have you seen The Tatami Galaxy?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Drifter posted:

What about 5 Centimeters per Second?

Also, I didn't really get why people liked Summer Wars. It felt kinda, you know, like "Okay, yup. There it is." Not bad or anything, but I was very ambivalent towards it for some reason.

Maybe check out Wings of Honneamise or Garden of Words or something, too?

It sounds like you are wanting some slower moving but good quality not quite slice of life type of stuff. That's a horrible description, but whatever. I know I'm dumb.
Personally I don't think that Shinkai is that similar to Hosoda; Shinkai's niche is mostly in melancholic partings and tragedies, putting the crux of his stories' themes on the separation in a relationship than the actual bonding. Conversely Hosoda seems to prefer the opposite, having a lot of time and energy spent on the various characters growing closer together despite looming clouds that it won't work out. Their actual direction is also somewhat at opposite ends of a spectrum; Shinkai's penchant is for vibrant and detailed backgrounds as a method for making his works as atmospheric (and pretty) as possible, whereas Hosoda almost seems to prefer to use his own characters as the "background"; think of all the shots in his films that feature wide, static shots that the characters will bounce around in at a distance (for example, Yuki jumping around all over the place when they first arrive in their new house). Both are distinct styles that serve their films quite well, but don't particularly overlap either.

Wings of Honneamise is a great and under-appreciated film (well except for one scene that made me reeeeeally uncomfortable), but surely we can all agree it does not really resemble Hosoda's films. It's unquestionably a late 80's Gainax film both literally and figuratively.

Anyway, the reason I like Summer Wars is that it's fun. It was basically Hosoda's attempt to update an already solid adventure film in Digimon with more mainstream/modern sensibilities. You just can't take it too seriously. I mean, come on, one of the characters has to hack an evil computer virus with a freakin' Nintendo DS. All the while still having his direction and vibrancy in his characters during the real-life scenes. About the only thing it's missing as a film compared to Wolf Children and TGWLTT is Hosoda's more serious/melancholic side, which is probably why I would ultimately say it's my third favorite of his three main films. He just does that part so well.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Fox Ironic posted:

Shinsekai Yori, Higurashi, and Paranoia Agent would fall sorta in the creepy mindfuck category with Lain.

Psycho-Pass, Madoka Magica, and Fate/Zero are more along the dark action thriller veins of Darker than Black.

Kyousougiga and Steins;Gate are somewhere in-between.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fox Ironic posted:

Seconding Madoka Magica. That poo poo was great, especially the witches' realms.

You could do with something like Paprika. That poo poo's cray.

Hit up COde Geass: Lelouch. It's not Mind Bending, but it's drat fun.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

unpronounceable posted:

Have you seen The Tatami Galaxy?

Yes, watch Tatami Galaxy. That is what you want.

If you've already seen it, then watch it again.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Ok I've got another very specific kind of request. I'm looking for a show which contains a particular kind of scene.

In this scene, a character climactically inherits or ascends to some role or ability that is thematically significant, and this ascension is accompanied by some visual indicator, which appears in an instant. That is, you can point out the exact instant when the character comes into his own. Additionally, this inheritance should ideally be a good thing for the protagonist(s), not like the final boss reaching his second form or anything. It could be a child taking the place of his parents, or finally standing up to some long-suffered evil, or someone attaining symbolic proof of membership in some society, etc.

Some examples:
  • Durarara: Mikado accepting his role as founder of the Dollars by taking charge and entering the website, complete with sparks flying out of his computer mouse.
  • DBZ: Gohan achieving super saiyan 2.
  • A Certain Magical Index: (novel spoilers) Accelerator's ascension from villain to hero as he finally accepts his own goodness, symbolized by his wings transforming from black to white.
  • Kagerou Project / Mekakucity Actors: (thematic spoilers, minor plot spoilers) Membership in the Mekakushi-dan symbolized by wearing a hood, inheritance of an eye power when one's eyes turn red for the first time as in Otsukimi Recital.
Given the DBZ example above, I want to say that I'm not really interested in long-running shounen battle things which may include powerups fitting this description, it was just an example. Other than that, I'm pretty okay with any genre or setting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Death Note, definitely. The potato chip scene, specifically. That's not even spoiling anything.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Gunbuster, episode 4. You can spot the moment Noriko changes down to the second.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
Gurren Lagann fits that perfectly

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Tarodia posted:

Gurren Lagann fits that perfectly

The entire show is basically an ever escalating series of that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Traveller posted:

Gunbuster, episode 4. You can spot the moment Noriko changes down to the second.
Might as well add Diebuster (same ep #) as well.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Do they wear pants in Diebuster?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

Do they wear pants in Diebuster?

They wear even less pants in Diebuster

e: except for the fact that most of the mecha appear to be wearing pants

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'd like an action show with well done animation and especially really good fight choreography. Basically like the fight with the swordsman in the second episode of Chaika the Coffin Princess.

Very specifically, I want a lot of stuff like the ~6 seconds following 18:59 in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIOi14hOOHY

Something that I'm kinda specifically not wanting is what happens here at about the 16 minute mark, this thing where there's just shots of the individual fighters taking a swing/shooting a gun and then cutting away, without showing how the attack connects or affects the other fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyLIjk_V-1g

(15:39 is another good example of exactly the kind of action I am looking for)

I'd also much prefer an anime I can laugh with/at rather than one I have to take seriously.

P.S. can someone tell me how to make videos start at a specific time when you embed them like this? adding &t=18m59s to the end of the url code doesn't work

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's because you need a #, not an &.

You should also watch Gundam 08th MS Team. Or at least, this youtube video from it which is one of the best Gundam fights ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4kEuNfbTWc

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty good. Cut away from the fight a little too much for my tastes though, made the whole thing feel so slow.

I dunno if I'd be up for watching a whole Gundam show though. I've seen MSG + Zeta + CC and also Wing, plus about half of Turn A. Build Fighters was the only one I could really call my cup of tea though, I think the usual Gundam storytelling just isn't for me.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
The battles in Gundam Unicorn own bones. The rest of it owns bones too, but is probably not what you're looking for (episode six, for instance, has very little in way of action).

Maybe Macross Frontier? The action in that was pretty good. And also Macross Plus.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ninjewtsu posted:

Pretty good. Cut away from the fight a little too much for my tastes though, made the whole thing feel so slow.

I dunno if I'd be up for watching a whole Gundam show though. I've seen MSG + Zeta + CC and also Wing, plus about half of Turn A. Build Fighters was the only one I could really call my cup of tea though, I think the usual Gundam storytelling just isn't for me.
Well the fight is going on between multiple story bits, so it makes sense it'd cut away.

And you only made it halfway through Turn A? Man, and here I thought nobody could dislike it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I dunno man, Turn A just felt like there was a good story going on there but I just wasn't Getting It, and as far as I could tell I was just watching a string of related events happening, rather than an entertaining story. Maybe the subs I got were poo poo (yet still coherent), or maybe everything entertaining about any of the characters just flew over my head. There just wasn't anything in it that got me interested in what was happening (and I think in general there wasn't a whole lot happening? Like the pacing was kinda slow? It's been a while since I decided to just give up on it so I don't remember super well).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Turn A is The Most Relaxed Gundam, so there is that. It's less about the robots and more about the people and discovering the history of the world, and occasionally about using the robots to do mundane things, and sometimes fighting. I'd say it's worth finishing because it's a pretty interesting political statement too. And Harry Ord is a boss. And the music is outstanding.

If all you want is giant robot fisticuffs, it's not for you. It's got some fighting, and some drat good fights at that, but the majority of it is much more low-key than that. It's just that when all is said and done, very few people have said they didn't enjoy it.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

ninjewtsu posted:

I'd like an action show with well done animation and especially really good fight choreography. Basically like the fight with the swordsman in the second episode of Chaika the Coffin Princess.

Very specifically, I want a lot of stuff like the ~6 seconds following 18:59 in this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIOi14hOOHY

Something that I'm kinda specifically not wanting is what happens here at about the 16 minute mark, this thing where there's just shots of the individual fighters taking a swing/shooting a gun and then cutting away, without showing how the attack connects or affects the other fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyLIjk_V-1g

(15:39 is another good example of exactly the kind of action I am looking for)

I'd also much prefer an anime I can laugh with/at rather than one I have to take seriously.

P.S. can someone tell me how to make videos start at a specific time when you embed them like this? adding &t=18m59s to the end of the url code doesn't work

Have you seen the Attack on Titan anime? Every fight scene in that is choreographed beautifully and it is a treasure to watch.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ninjewtsu posted:

Doesn't Samurai Champloo have pretty bangin' swordfights and stuff?

Two ways to make a link with a video. YOu can use the:
[ url ] tags (if you're pasting the youtube link you have to start typing the 'url=' part and insert the copied text, otherwise it autosets to the video tag) in which case you want to use the '&t=5m25s' at the end of things or you can use the [ video type="youtube" ] tags, in which case you need the '#t=3m45s' business. You can also just use seconds, instead of seconds and minutes, like have t equal 325s instead.

[ url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyLIjk_V-1g&t=5m25s]Video[ /url]
Video

[ video type="youtube"]PyLIjk_V-1g#t=5m45s[ /video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyLIjk_V-1g&t=345s

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 28, 2014

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a movie not a series, but Sword of the Stranger has some pretty amazing fight scenes.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
Thanks for the recommendations guys, but I've already seen everything suggested except Diebuster, which I'll get to :shobon:

And regarding Gurren Lagann, I actually felt the only thing in the series that really fits what I'm looking for is (the show is 7 years old but to be safe, spoilered): episode 11, when Simon breaks out of his depression to inherit Kamina's role. Past that, there wasn't much in the way of "thematic ascension", just an already-ascended character pushing bounds further and further.

I realize I'm probably not making much sense, but it's hard to articulate even to myself, so oh well.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What do people think of Gunbuster and Diebuster? I've heard Gunbuster has some pretty well written character development, and that Diebuster is sort of a mess writing wise but is really really well animated. Are they really good or just good?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I still need to see Diebuster but Gunbuster's one of the better super robot series out there, it's really easy to tell it was done by people who love the crap out of the genre. It's wonderfully paced and you really get attached to the main four characters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

icantfindaname posted:

What do people think of Gunbuster and Diebuster? I've heard Gunbuster has some pretty well written character development, and that Diebuster is sort of a mess writing wise but is really really well animated. Are they really good or just good?
Gunbuster is quite beloved. Diebuster is a bit more divided but it's still overall quite excellent. I think both serve as excellent microcosms of Gainax circa the years they were made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gunbuster is great, Diebuster is great, watch both of them(not the movies).

• Locked thread