Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MIRROR BAREIL ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Bicyclops posted:

By the end of Voyager, there is more or less literally a conversation between Janeway and Chakotay where they both do something strange and when asked why answer "I can't tell you, time travel shenanigans," and then they just kind of nod and continue going about their days.

I just watched this. Not only that, but they grabbed other crew members from other times and made themselves a posse based on just his word.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Fister Roboto posted:

MIRROR BAREIL ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME

That episode is notable in DS9 in that literally every plot point, no matter how minor, is reused from a prior episode.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Man. I'd love a ridiculous(er) version of JAG with space ships and laser cannons. Just get the same cast, even, playing the same people, but throw them in DS9 uniforms.

In a special guest appearance, Nog shows up to help Bud cope with losing his leg on the planet Af'gan-stan; meanwhile Commander Riker fights for his freedom against a wrongful sexual harassment accusation...while actively sexually harassing Mac.

Fister Roboto posted:

The thing I love about the Trek universe is that "I'm trying to track down a time traveler known as Willie Mays and put an end to his nefarious deeds" almost sounds believable.

That's because you're not a Soulless Minion of Orthodoxy

In the Cards might be my favorite light-hearted DS9 episode

Sash! fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 27, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I like that after the occupation, Kira actually tolerates Quark's existence. I'd say she's almost cordial with him. It's a nice little touch.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Apollodorus posted:

In that light, I think that it's impossible for a "god" to actually exist in Star Trek; Q is certainly more powerful than Zeus or Huitzilpochtli, but he is very obviously not a god. Q is to humans as humans are to amoebae, very much part of the same system but at vastly disparate levels of it. And just as humans evolved from single-celled organisms, so too can humans evolve to become like Q, as Q stated in his second appearance ("Hide and Q") and reaffirmed in "All Good Things." Moreover, humans still have something to teach the Q, as we saw in "Death Wish."

For a being who can travel through time at will, Q sure seems to think linearly like the mere mortals he fucks with. He should already know the entire history of the universe. There's no "present" for him; he should know exactly how humanity ends up. This makes me think that the Q are made up of all races that achieve that level of evolution, and humans are already one of them. Maybe Q himself is descended from humanity and that's why he's so interested in them.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
That's part of the fun of being on vacation, speaking the local lingo, trying the food, limiting your omniscience for the pleasure of watching Picard jump through hoops growing ever more frustrated.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Apollodorus posted:

Star Trek is framed in such a way that nothing is actually magical. Everything (even if it's impossible according to real-world science) ultimately has a rational explanation, and those things which the main characters can't explain still have an explanation - just not one they can understand yet.

In that light, I think that it's impossible for a "god" to actually exist in Star Trek; Q is certainly more powerful than Zeus or Huitzilpochtli, but he is very obviously not a god. Q is to humans as humans are to amoebae, very much part of the same system but at vastly disparate levels of it. And just as humans evolved from single-celled organisms, so too can humans evolve to become like Q, as Q stated in his second appearance ("Hide and Q") and reaffirmed in "All Good Things." Moreover, humans still have something to teach the Q, as we saw in "Death Wish."

Wesley Crusher is clearly a God, though. He created an intelligent life form/species/culture of nanites! Then he ascended and joined The Traveler (who said Wes was similar to a young Mozart).

No wonder folks disliked him!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Fister Roboto posted:

I like that after the occupation, Kira actually tolerates Quark's existence. I'd say she's almost cordial with him. It's a nice little touch.

What could she do? It's not like he was idealistically supporting the occupation. It's just business.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

What could she do? It's not like he was idealistically supporting the occupation. It's just business.

I mean more that before the occupation, she couldn't tolerate his existence, but afterwards she seems to have a newfound respect for him. Kind of. She goes from "seething at his mere presence" to "curt but polite" with him.

e: I mean the Dominion occupation, not the Cardassian one.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Apollodorus posted:

They should bring back Galaxy Quest. Tim Allen Jason Nesmith needs the work.

John Scalzi's Redshirts is getting a television adaptation. That's about as close as we'll get to space comedy series. At least since the revival of Red Dwarf.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

V-Men posted:

John Scalzi's Redshirts is getting a television adaptation. That's about as close as we'll get to space comedy series. At least since the revival of Red Dwarf.

Hyperdrive wasn't bad, too!

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

V-Men posted:

Ugh, I really couldn't stand Scalzi's writing in Redshirts but at least this TV show might be something close to resembling a Trek series...Maybe the TV show will be better? HAHAHA RIGHT

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
http://www.psmag.com/magazines/magazine-feature-story-magazines/joe-henrich-weird-ultimatum-game-shaking-up-psychology-economics-53135/

We like to complain about monoculture aliens of the week, but it seems like Star Trek writers might not have been the only ones to fall into that trope.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I mean more that before the occupation, she couldn't tolerate his existence, but afterwards she seems to have a newfound respect for him. Kind of. She goes from "seething at his mere presence" to "curt but polite" with him.

e: I mean the Dominion occupation, not the Cardassian one.

Well of course she did, he got Damar drunk and gave the rebels the heads up about the mine disabling plans.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I am groaning so loving hard, this is terrible news.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I'm looking for a picture that someone posted in one of the Star Trek threads some time ago, hopefully said poster still has that image and will see this and post it again.

Basically, it's like a re imagining of all the iconic Star Trek races drawn in this kind of Disney movie style, but they actually looked really cool.

I think if Star Trek is ever going to be on TV again, it should be CG animated like Clone Wars or something.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 28, 2014

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
http://minionfactory.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/pixar-boldly-goes-where-no-man-has-gone.html

Those?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
No, they weren't CG. If I recall it was basically like a grid of squares with the heads of various aliens in them. Klingon, Ferengi...uh, others.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
You mean this? Where they redesigned the various species to be more, well, alien.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

DrSunshine posted:

You mean this? Where they redesigned the various species to be more, well, alien.

Ohh those are awful.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Why does Sulu look like an orc?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I don't think those are the ones, but that's kinda neat.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

cenotaph posted:

Why does Sulu look like an orc?

I'm more disturbed by Bananas McCoy.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

"Hey guys, now that we've revealed that Bashir has genetically enhanced intelligence, how do we make him sound super smart so that the viewers don't forget?"

"I dunno, I guess we could have him spout off probabilities off the top of his head like he's C-3PO. Welp, let's call it a day."

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

In the comments there the artist mentioned that he's colorblind and apologized for Sulu coloring.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

"Hey guys, now that we've revealed that Bashir has genetically enhanced intelligence, how do we make him sound super smart so that the viewers don't forget?"

"I dunno, I guess we could have him spout off probabilities off the top of his head like he's C-3PO. Welp, let's call it a day."

Also note that Siddig deliberately read those lines like a less expressive Data because he hated that twist as much as you.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'm more disturbed by Bananas McCoy.

I can't help but notice that he looks like he should be voiced by Wallace Shawn.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

I can't help but notice that he looks like he should be voiced by Wallace Shawn.

McCoy was the Grand Nagus the whole time! :wth:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

McCoy was the Grand Nagus the whole time! :wth:

It's worse than that, he's bankrupt, Jim!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It is only now, while watching the final episode of Voyager, that I have pinpointed exactly who Kate Mulgrew sounds like: I'd said she sounded like Jon Lovitz, but actually, it's a more womanly Jon Lovitz with a GlaDOS filter on the ends of a few of her sentences.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Non-Gendered Alien: TELL ME ABOUT YOUR SEXUAL ORGANS.
Riker: :smugdog: Er, I mean :o:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love syrup of squill on my grodecakes!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DrSunshine posted:

What the hell is it with low-rent artists and tusks anyway?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
What I wonder is why did the artist decide that betazoids would be better off as quadropeds and why do the Bajorans have tails?

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 28, 2014

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

http://textsfromds9.tumblr.com

Found this on YOSPOS. Something different to start everyone's week out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess the Iggy Pop vorta committed suicide upon being captured like he was supposed to :smith:

DeepQantas
Jan 13, 2008

Ah, to be a Hero... Keeping such company...
So, uhh.... What was the country in Undiscovered Country?

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

DeepQantas posted:

It was a wine country, duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DeepQantas posted:

Turns out it actually was Death, except Kirk already faced it in Wrath and then literally resurrected his dead friend so he didn't actually need to undergo any serious character growth before defeating the baddie.

• Locked thread