Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ytlaya posted:

Are things like the X-wing books actually good, or is it just that everyone who read them (like myself) did so when they were in 6th grade?
The Wraith Squadron books are legit good and hilarious. The Stackpole ones suffer a lot from Mary Sue syndrome with the protagonist, but they're still solid enough.

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

The problem with The Thing game is that it lied like Colonial Marines did. Infections were all scripted - you could test someone and they'd show up clean but once you passed some checkpoint they'd transform
To be fair to the developers, that was a limitation of the AI and code, rather than some kind of malicious false advertising like with Colonial Marines.
The code is actually there to allow for random infections and you can enable it with some hex editing, the problem is that it kind of breaks the game. Ultimately everybody gets infected and on a really short timeframe too, so it kind of undoes the point of it all. You're better off killing all your NPCs and just going it alone because they'll all either turn into Things and betray you or us assume that you're a Thing and try to kill you.

As for the Amanda Ripley thing in Isolation, apparently that was a mandate from FOX, so we can't quite blame the developers on that one. There's apparently similar Amanda Ripley tie-ins with the upcoming Aliens novels and comic books due out later this year, again all mandated by FOX.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just thought that the IGN video puts the complaints some journalists made after playing that level in a different light. Imagine playing those linear corridor sections with scripted cutscenes where the control is taken away from you and then ending up in an arena section where the Alien's AI is unreliable (which was the complaint) and you don't know if it sees you or not, if it jumps on you or not etc.

When we were still thinking this game might be Amnesia: Aliens - that didn't sound that bad but in those confined arenas it may end up being really frustrating and actually says a lot about how poor the AI is if it bugs out in those tiny sections.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Okay, who remembers Manhunt? They should totally take a leaf out its book and make wearing a headset a thing so that i) you get Helpful Blokeman talking directly into your ear for the duration for that authentic Alien "it's moving right towards you" feel; ii) any noise you make into the mic has a chance of attracting the loving thing if it's near enough. Imagine being in the same room as the bastard, cowering under a table or something and feeling an uncontrollable urge to sneeze, or just trying to resist from saying "ohshitohshitohshit".

It'd be grand.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sentinel Red posted:

Okay, who remembers Manhunt? They should totally take a leaf out its book and make wearing a headset a thing so that i) you get Helpful Blokeman talking directly into your ear for the duration for that authentic Alien "it's moving right towards you" feel; ii) any noise you make into the mic has a chance of attracting the loving thing if it's near enough. Imagine being in the same room as the bastard, cowering under a table or something and feeling an uncontrollable urge to sneeze, or just trying to resist from saying "ohshitohshitohshit".

It'd be grand.
Goddamn that's a really good idea. I totally forgot that Manhunt even had that feature, it was a really clever use of the mic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Palpek posted:

None of the Star Wars books are actually good and they all only work through primary school/high school glasses. Still the short stories at least don't have enough pages to start falling apart. But hey, there are people who read mediocre sci-fi/fantasy on regular basis so among them the Star Wars universe has the advantage of having a context/background from other media etc.

I started the Thrawn trilogy last year and thought it was basically unreadable. It's a bunch of loosely connected events thrown together and Thrawn predicting them all because ??? Can someone briefly summarize in one sentence what the main plot of that first book is? What a thrilling conflict it is to have Lando lose 50 of his loving mole miners or whatever.

It would make a horrible movie.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Sentinel Red posted:

It'd be grand.

I might just be weird, but do people really vocalize that much when they play horror games? Even in games that actually scare me I personally never catch myself saying anything out loud or even being tempted to, and that feature sounds like it would be pretty annoying since 9/10 what triggered it would be someone walking too close to/into my room while talking, my phone, or from my keyboard (which I am still in the habit of hitting harder than I need to). I like the idea, but on a practical level it just sounds like it would have been really annoying in Manhunt/theoretical Alien game :/.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I always yelled "HOLY GOD! NOOO!" when the facehugger would attack me in the first AvP game. :colbert:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I always yelled "HOLY GOD! NOOO!" when the facehugger would attack me in the first AvP game. :colbert:
For me it was always more of a "JESUS gently caress". :ohdear:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Hakkesshu posted:

It would make a horrible movie.
But the fans were already arguing on how the scene where Chewie gets killed by a moon would be filmed :laugh:.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I'll say this for Lucas - the prequels never get anywhere near as bad as the Expanded Universe did.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Alchenar posted:

Colonial Marines looked like it was going to be a tactical suspense shooter and turned out instead to be a hilariously bad generic sci-fi shooter - but the difference was in the quality rather than the inherent nature of the game.
Tactical Suspense? I dunno, but even from those early videos, it looked to be a pretty simplistic/dumb alien shooter with aliens that were a bit slow moving for gameplay purposes, albeit better looking and with better moving aliens than what we got.

That said, nothing about any of those videos or pre-release materials could have prepared me for a game where the penultimate mission is destroying three AA guns with a rocket launcher. Seriously, what the gently caress Gearbox?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

Tactical Suspense? I dunno, but even from those early videos, it looked to be a pretty simplistic/dumb alien shooter with aliens that were a bit slow moving for gameplay purposes, albeit better looking and with better moving aliens than what we got.

That said, nothing about any of those videos or pre-release materials could have prepared me for a game where the penultimate mission is destroying three AA guns with a rocket launcher. Seriously, what the gently caress Gearbox?

From the very early screenshots/concept interviews it looked like we might have gotten SWAT 4 - Aliens edition. Then gradually the squad aspect of the game got emphasized down and down into... well, what people who did't wait for the reviews paid money for.

e: and really, SWAT 4/Left4Dead would be the best Aliens game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DrProsek posted:

I might just be weird, but do people really vocalize that much when they play horror games? Even in games that actually scare me I personally never catch myself saying anything out loud or even being tempted to, and that feature sounds like it would be pretty annoying since 9/10 what triggered it would be someone walking too close to/into my room while talking, my phone, or from my keyboard (which I am still in the habit of hitting harder than I need to). I like the idea, but on a practical level it just sounds like it would have been really annoying in Manhunt/theoretical Alien game :/.

Seldom do I actually blurt some poo poo out, but it'd be cool if there were something to monitor heart rate and as it increased your vision ingame would get hosed up, like Amnesia, and you'd stumble around. Though some people don't get scared by video games so that goes out the window, like most gimmicky poo poo does.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

Sentinel Red posted:

Okay, who remembers Manhunt?

I remember it. I'd never played a stealth game before and I couldn't get past the first lot of guys by the trucks :( I like the idea of using extra peripherals but there needs to be a real advantage to using them to make them part of the gameplay, or they just become a hindrance that gets tossed.

I'd like to play Isolation as the Xeno, too. It's a pretty environment they have there and it's be a shame to not stalk humans while trying to avoid drawing enough attention that you get blown out into space.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I agree that changing the perspective would make this better. Hell I'd even love to have Ripley's daughter as my antagonist :haw:.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Some gameplay footage with stealth and combat highlighted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F48MPat-x3k

I don't know...looks both ok and not ok. I'm very sold on the look of the game and the general idea of it, but casting Summon Alien by throwing around noisemakers or making noise in general at any time doesn't seem too thrilling. It seems like it'd be more fun as a tighter 3-4 hour game of cat & mouse without any humans in the mix.

el oso fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 11, 2014

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

el oso posted:

Some gameplay footage with stealth and combat highlighted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F48MPat-x3k

I don't know...looks both ok and not ok. I'm very sold on the look of the game and the general idea of it, but casting Summon Alien by throwing around noisemakers or making noise in general at any time doesn't seem too thrilling. It seems like it'd be more fun as a tighter 3-4 hour game of cat & mouse without any humans in the mix.

ehh, i dont mind humans and the creepy rear end cyborgs, it makes the world feel more alive(hopefully) and being chased by one xeno through an abandoned station for 10 hours isn't worth 60 bucks for me. the combat looks alot like condemned so i am ok with it.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
This game is playable at e3. I don't play horror games very often and it spooked the hell out of me.

I think it's shaping up to be pretty cool. Imagine my horror when I realized that my flamethrower was out of fuel at the last moment.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That video makes it look pretty cool. But fighting against andoids with them not reacting to anything and overall being hit-sponges seems annoying as hell.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Yeah, hopefully those are rare and not used as mini-bosses or something. Wonder if attacking it prevents the alien from spawning, cause drat you must be making a ton of noise clobbering that thing and running around.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
That trailer looked pretty good. I'm concerned that dealing with Xenos may be too simple and the bullet sponge droids, but I can still see it being fun. Maybe if the Xenos behavior is more complicated than literally run towards any noisey things the player throws and if the droids are just supposed to be taken out some other way/left alone and snuck past instead of taking them on head on. Still not preordering or nothing, but I'm willing to follow the development of it.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah it does look like you're supposed to take them out using the Alien/environment. Still hitting them repeatedly on the head with no effect, then burning them and hitting them repeatedly on the head with no effect and then electrocuting them and hitting them on the head some more to finally take them down seems ridiculous.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Palpek posted:

Yeah it does look like you're supposed to take them out using the Alien/environment. Still hitting them repeatedly on the head with no effect, then burning them and hitting them repeatedly on the head with no effect and then electrocuting them and hitting them on the head some more to finally take them down seems ridiculous.

It's hard to get across that an Android can be ripped in half by a Queen and live within a game that has combat.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Spudd posted:

It's hard to get across that an Android can be ripped in half by a Queen and live within a game that has combat.
Yeah, I forgot that hiding from indestructable androids with a dead stare patrolling empty corridors was a big part of the Alien franchise.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 11, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Seeing the crafting system and the fact that you'll be using the environment and traps to take out threats, is anyone else picturing this as an ultra-violent Home Alone?

Palpek posted:

Yeah, I forgot that hiding from indestructable androids with a dead stare patrolling empty corridors was a big part of the Alien franchise.

There was something like that in some of the earliest comics/books: one of the stories had combat androids that weren't Three Laws Compliant. I remember them being described as similar to the android in the clip. I know a lot of stuff in the series is of dubious canonicity these days, but it's not entirely without precedent.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

pengun101 posted:

ehh, i dont mind humans and the creepy rear end cyborgs, it makes the world feel more alive(hopefully) and being chased by one xeno through an abandoned station for 10 hours isn't worth 60 bucks for me. the combat looks alot like condemned so i am ok with it.

I like how the dude is like "This reminds me of Zombi U, a game with a motion tracking device," despite the large number of Alien games with a motion tracking device in them. :haw:

They kind of blew it with the androids if all they do is walk towards you calmly and punch you and they don't react to taking damage at all. I mean in Alien they literally club Ash's head clean off, you see all kinds of android dismemberment throughout the franchise, it's lame that they don't put up much of a fight and just fall over here.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I guess at this point it's hard to tell if the implementation will be good, but the general feel and idea seems very solid to me. Not gonna pre-order but looking forward to reviews when it comes out.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Yeah if it's basically Condemned but with sci-fi stuff I'm down but still gonna get this out of a bargain bin a few months after it comes out. Just I feel like they missed an opportunity here.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
The combat seems interesting and more puzzly in nature but the humans seems kind of cannonfoddery and also has terrible ai.

And I'm getting the feeling that if the alien catches you it's pretty much game over and instadeath with no way to fight it off. Which could lead to some cheap feeling moments. I'll wait and see how they do with the game. It certainly looks interesting but it's a matter of them pulling it off.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Palpek posted:

Cool that has nothing to do with what I said, good job. :thumbsup:

Ekster posted:

I guess at this point it's hard to tell if the implementation will be good, but the general feel and idea seems very solid to me. Not gonna pre-order but looking forward to reviews when it comes out.

I'm in the same boat as you, still I wanna do my best to keep up to date about it because I love the aesthetics of this a lot.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Neo Rasa posted:

They kind of blew it with the androids if all they do is walk towards you calmly and punch you and they don't react to taking damage at all. I mean in Alien they literally club Ash's head clean off, you see all kinds of android dismemberment throughout the franchise, it's lame that they don't put up much of a fight and just fall over here.
Yeah, it doesn't really matter if indestructable slow androids are canon or not if they're not fun to fight in a game. I hope they are but at this point I'm getting flashbacks of those terrible zombie-aliens from Colonial Marines.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlytjPlmeWg

Another video

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Palpek posted:

Still hitting them repeatedly on the head with no effect, then burning them and hitting them repeatedly on the head with no effect and then electrocuting them and hitting them on the head some more to finally take them down seems ridiculous.

You're not meant to repeatedly hit them in the head or burn them.

The demo is just showing off what you can expect to happen if you do, game demos generally like to showcase all kinds of different types of mechanics. It doesn't take a genius to work out you're meant to stealth or EMP them.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

It might just be me but the android creeped me out more than the alien.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Ekster posted:

It might just be me but the android creeped me out more than the alien.

yeah it reminded me a little bit of the motorized patriots in bio Infinite.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
I see The Cycle is alive and well in the thread.

Lets! Get! Weird! fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 12, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

The see The Cycle is alive and well in the thread.

Huh?

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

I'm disappointed that all this new footage is very linear and basically funnels players down corridors until putting them in a large room with the alien. It seems like it's going to end up being a heavily scripted game where the alien always shows up at the exact same moments, and now they're also throwing human/robot enemies into the mix.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I assume this is yet another reference to alien fans heavily anticipating the new aliens game despite their misgivings, before swallowing a mouthful of poo poo on launch day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

hosed up the first word sorry has been edited.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I assume this is yet another reference to alien fans heavily anticipating the new aliens game despite themselves, before swallowing a mouthful of poo poo on launch day.

Sonic and Alien fans, man.

• Locked thread