Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Most Mustang launch parties are tonight if you're near a location with one. One of the programmers for it posted a list of general tips on Pinside.

After having played it a bunch, I'm fairly fond of it. It feels different than the last crop (excusing Avengers) of Sterns, and the early code is already decent. While it certainly doesn't have the best art package, it definitely looks a lot better than the initial pictures. The different modes and races feel a bit more distinct than the Star Trek modes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Trying to close out the wizard goals for Central Park. One left. 1000 points on a ball. An annoyingly hard little bastard for me.

This just happened.

Basically:

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

King Vidiot posted:

I never really looked the game up and had no idea it was a Trudeau design. I've played it before and it seemed a lot better than other Premier tables. It's a loving shame about the art design though, because other than the playfield and the mechanism under the table it's pretty hideous. I even love the music that plays as you're playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=008nSfy_GMQ

It sounds like an old NES horror-themed platformer.

There's some alternate translite artwork out there that features the Metropolis robot. It's got that tacky "I'm learning photoshop" look to it with lens flares and ugly color choices, but it's still a touch above what the game actually used. I may just try my own hand at making a translite.

The game is still in my car waiting to be set up...

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Trying to close out the wizard goals for Central Park. One left. 1000 points on a ball. An annoyingly hard little bastard for me.

This just happened.

Oh God, I know the feeling. Whoever came up with that one should be hit repeatedly.

quote:

Wow, that describes my typical experience at Pinballz.

ReverendHammer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 26, 2014

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

ReverendHammer posted:

Oh God, I know the feeling. Whoever came up with that one should be hit repeatedly.

Just got it with 1063. Really only took a bit over an hour of trying, but seemed way longer. And annoying when all the other goals for the table were easy as can be. Hot Shot's 250k goal is still considerably harder as far as the old 1960s machines go.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

roffels posted:

There's some alternate translite artwork out there that features the Metropolis robot. It's got that tacky "I'm learning photoshop" look to it with lens flares and ugly color choices, but it's still a touch above what the game actually used. I may just try my own hand at making a translite.

The game is still in my car waiting to be set up...

If possible, take your ramps and get them 3D scanned. They break real easily, and are impossible to replace. If you need any other spare parts, we've got a spare playfield, so just let me know. Would offer the ramps too, but some guy on pinside had his stolen, and I sent ours to him.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Domus posted:

If possible, take your ramps and get them 3D scanned.

Is it possible to actually get parts remade doing this? I have a whodunnit ramp that is for now still in one piece but is on its last legs.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's almost certainly possible to just get a 3D printed or milled replacement (if you're willing to spend enough), but I think the real point is that having a 3D model of what it's supposed to be like allows you to handcraft a replica pretty closely instead of just eyeballing what it's supposed to be like.

I mean it would not be too difficult to carve a ramp out of a block of wood if you knew exactly what the slope was supposed to be.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I think it's one of the few ramps you could print and it would look ok, because it's not transparent. I'd just assume if you have access to a 3d scanner, you'd have access to a printer as well. Even if you didn't, you could probably get 10 copies made and sell 9, and easily cover the cost. There's a company around here that makes 3D printers for around 2k. Been begging my workplace to get one. Instead they bought a giant color copy machine that doesn't have driver support in windows 7. Woo.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
What are Genesis' ramps made out of anyways? It looks like some kind of translucent colored vinyl.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

What are Genesis' ramps made out of anyways? It looks like some kind of translucent colored vinyl.
Pinkish translucent plastic.
Nothing all that special.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

insidius posted:

Is it possible to actually get parts remade doing this? I have a whodunnit ramp that is for now still in one piece but is on its last legs.

Have you checked Marco Specialties? Looks like they have a lot of the ramps.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

roffels posted:

I just brought home a Gottleib Genesis. You know, the one with a hideous backglass.

It's sitting in my car. It's late and I have no one to help me get it up 3 flights of stairs.

You beautiful bastard. I would totally make that game the first one I own if I could afford it.

edit: I'm also going to say that you should scan the poo poo out of those ramps, because you will never find replacements if Pinside is anything to go by. You'll also do everyone else with a Genesis a solid.

Bovineicide fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 28, 2014

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

A couple of people now have suggested that he get his ramps 3D scanned, but where would one get that done? Would you just have to find someone with such a setup, or are there businesses that provide that service?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Google for a 3d print shop in your area, they can usually provide 3d scanning services as well.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Heck, I'd pay for it if someone had a set of Shadow rings and some Tommy blinders they'd like scanned. Been lookin' for those for 3 years now. If anyone can suggest anything else, I'll get it scanned if we have it. The problem with the W?D ramp is that it's clear. I think you have to sand the ramps once they're printed, meaning anything clear will come out, well, not.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can get transparent filament for 3d printers quite easily, the problem is that how the printing process works creates patterns in the output, which obscure visibility. You can print translucent objects, but not completely see-through ones.

You might be able to get a solid block of clear plastic, mill it into the shape of the ramp, and polish the surface until it's transparent. Milling ABS plastic is apparently a big pain though.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Might easier in that case to create a negative and vacuform a replica.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Domus posted:

The problem with the W?D ramp is that it's clear. I think you have to sand the ramps once they're printed, meaning anything clear will come out, well, not.

Yeah, seems to be a lot of people looking for them or for ways to reproduce them successfully with not much luck as far as I can tell.

As another suggested below vacuum forming may be the best idea. The ramp is huge and somewhat complicated which I guess does
not help matters.

XenoCrab
Mar 30, 2012

XenoCrab is the least important character in the Alien movie franchise. He's not even in the top ten characters.
I didn't see it mentioned yet, but Black Rose and Fish Tales are out on the PS4. They look great and I hope the rest of season 3 gets added soon.

Also, Farsight announced Diner as the winner of the people's choice vote. Since Junkyard has also been announced, I wonder what the remaining three season 3 tables will be? I'd like to see Jackbot.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

XenoCrab posted:

I didn't see it mentioned yet, but Black Rose and Fish Tales are out on the PS4. They look great and I hope the rest of season 3 gets added soon.

Also, Farsight announced Diner as the winner of the people's choice vote. Since Junkyard has also been announced, I wonder what the remaining three season 3 tables will be? I'd like to see Jackbot.

Jackbot and Adams are the two I'd be happy to see.

Are there any known plans for Farsight to pick up Jersey Jack tables?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Can you imagine the nightmare emulating WoO with its full screen display would be? :gonk: I don't think I'd choose Farsight to get the job done unless I wanted to kill someone's iPad or something.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

DevCore posted:

Are there any known plans for Farsight to pick up Jersey Jack tables?

There's no current plans for any JJP games, because as said it'd be a pain in the rear end to emulate. Also licensing. WOZ probably wouldn't be too hard to get, but The Hobbit definitely will be. Maybe by the time JJP gets to Lawlor's (unlicensed!) table, consoles/PC sales will be high enough that they can not bother with mobile devices.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Addams Family is still a no-go until Julia's estate decides to start licensing his likeness again, right?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Crackbone posted:

Addams Family is still a no-go until Julia's estate decides to start licensing his likeness again, right?

They said they had an announcement on that subject a while ago and I don't think anything came out.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I still don't get why they can't work with Stern on new titles. It's been a couple years since TPA got popular and you'd think they'd both benefit from an arrangement.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

XenoCrab posted:

The next free table is Tee'd Off, so the next season 3 table will be golf-themed, right?

Or sports-themed, at least. So my money's on "Harlem Globetrotters On Tour". :colbert:

prefect fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 28, 2014

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
The next Season 3 table is Junk Yard, according to a recent announcement from them on Facebook.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Luigi Thirty posted:

They said they had an announcement on that subject a while ago and I don't think anything came out.

I'm hoping they're sitting on something like Addams being the final table for this season.

Why yes, I'm already prepared for massive disappointment :smithicide:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Niwrad posted:

I still don't get why they can't work with Stern on new titles. It's been a couple years since TPA got popular and you'd think they'd both benefit from an arrangement.

They have permission from Stern, the problem is everything they make is high-end licenses that are really expensive. That's why the only Sterns we have are from crappy licenses.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I'm pretty sure either Gary or the TPA people (or both) said that it's gonna happen at some point. If Mustang didn't have licensed music it'd probably be a pretty easy licensing get. There's also the matter of that SAM 2 platform games are too difficult to emulate on mobile.

Given how slow TPA is to put out patches that'd mean also that there's the potential for a game to be stuck with inferior Stern launch software. This probably shouldn't be too big an issue on Steam, but given the lengthy amount of time it took the PS3 to get an update it might be a pain in the rear end on consoles.

Essentially it sounds like both are interested but they are two ornery, slow companies.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bovineicide posted:

I'm hoping they're sitting on something like Addams being the final table for this season.

Why yes, I'm already prepared for massive disappointment :smithicide:

This would blow my mind, since there's an Addams Family table near me -- it would be the only TPA table that I've played in real life in recent years. :swoon: (I remember very brief games of Black Hole and Terminator 2, but those were a long time ago.)

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

I can't imagine a scenario where Farsight would have Addams as a late surprise. It'd be a huge seller and they know it, and as soon as they can possibly get it out there I'm sure they will.

I've gotten pretty fond of the Williams Indiana Jones, and it's a real bummer that it looks like Disney properties are straight out for them. That said, if they were able to secure some sort of agreement with them, that'd net them a bunch of games (Three Star Wars, two Indiana Jones, Tron, all of the Stern Marvel games).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I went to Funspot over the weekend. Lots of their tables are busted, but they have a bunch, and it's only a quarter per game. I got to try Big Guns, which I'd never heard of before. It's a Python game. I like it a lot, and the art rules.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Clouseau posted:

I can't imagine a scenario where Farsight would have Addams as a late surprise. It'd be a huge seller and they know it, and as soon as they can possibly get it out there I'm sure they will.

As much as I hate to break bad news to the hopefuls, we're about three tables away from the end of Season 3 and there hasn't been a Kickstarter to raise the funds to pay for licensing fees for Addams Family yet, soooo... probably not going to happen. The only way FarSight is going to get Addams Family is if they pull another Twilight Zone and raise money outside of table sales.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I'm just assuming that Dr Who is in the same "too expensive to license to hope for" boat.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Yeah - Doctor Who is most likely out. They'd have to pay every actor whose likeness is on it, the BBC, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had to kick cash to Terry Nation's estate for usage of Daleks.

Also, the newest crop of Zen Star Wars tables should be out later today, this time they're doing a four pack for the same price: Han Solo, A New Hope, Droids, and Masters of the Force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImA-9iA451o

ExMortis
Feb 14, 2012

Let's RUNNING!! :ussr:

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

I'm just assuming that Dr Who is in the same "too expensive to license to hope for" boat.

Doctor Who and Judge Dredd are the only PA tables I would ever give money to kickstart (I am not from England)

Does anyone remember when their last Kickstarter was flagging (T2 I think?) they posted an update that "If this one succeeds, Addams Family will be the next one we do?" Pretty sure that happened. Not that it couldn't have been a bluff.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

ExMortis posted:

Doctor Who and Judge Dredd are the only PA tables I would ever give money to kickstart (I am not from England)

Does anyone remember when their last Kickstarter was flagging (T2 I think?) they posted an update that "If this one succeeds, Addams Family will be the next one we do?" Pretty sure that happened. Not that it couldn't have been a bluff.

T2 kickstarter posted:

While we've hit our T2 goal, thanks to the overwhelming support of the pinball community, there's still time for those of you who have not pledged to get in on some great rewards while at the same time, help us to begin funding our future Kickstarter project, which we're hopeful will be The Addams Family. We are aggressively working to secure all the licenses needed to bring this widely popular table to The Pinball Arcade and with your continued support, we're optimistic that we will be able to add this holy grail of pinball to The Pinball Arcade in the near future!

They were pretty careful with their language. This is also probably why we haven't seen another kickstarter in a while. Given how popular the table is, I'm sure they really want to land it but it's likely not that feasible.

I'd love it if they did The Shadow, but I can't imagine that ever happening. Dredd isn't based on the movie franchise, just the comic, so maybe there's a bit of hope with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
What's so good about Addams Family? I didn't play a lot of it at Funspot because it was banged up ( some toys were missing their "toy" part but the mechanics still functioned) but it didn't seem incredible or anything.