Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DeathChicken posted:

I'm in a silly state of indecision whether to play a Malk or a Nosferatu. Already beaten the game with a Tremere and a Toreador, so figured I'd do it with one of the 'different' clans. Maybe I'll roll with a lady Malk just for the hilarity of fire axe mayhem.

Am I the only one who doesn't like the Malk dialogue? It feels churlish, but for me too many of of them read like they were written by someone who knows all the Monty Python sketches by heart iykwim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
You're not wrong, some of the dialogue kind feels like the "ha ha I'm so random!" type humor but stuff like all the foreshadowing, the news broadcasts, the stop sign, and the common refrain of "Oh god, not another Malkavian" are good stuff. I'd say the good outweighs the bad. Though I just started Downtown so maybe its too early to tell.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 27, 2014

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
You could try experimenting by opening the console and entering vstats buy brawl a couple times to get some points in. Once your done you can just use vstats sell brawl as many times as you need to get your brawl level back down.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Spaseman posted:

You could try experimenting by opening the console and entering vstats buy brawl a couple times to get some points in. Once your done you can just use vstats sell brawl as many times as you need to get your brawl level back down.

ehh good idea, I just by experience points put some in brawl, so its better.

Also, there is nothing for sale at Trips Pawnshop anymore. Bug?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Have Mercurio or Knox or the bail bondsman mentioned that he sells guns yet, or failing that, have you persuaded him to show his stock? If they have/you have, it might be a Camarilla mod special thingy?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Is one of the changes of the Unofficial Plus Patch louder Malkavian voices-in-your-head? It seems like they actually drown out dialogue now, they're so loud.

Funny thing though, even with the volume on them turned up it's really hard to understand what's being said. It's mostly word salad with a few random phrases that make sense, like "DIE" or "GO AWAY". Apparently some are supposed to contain pretty big spoilers for certain NPCs you talk to.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Is one of the changes of the Unofficial Plus Patch louder Malkavian voices-in-your-head? It seems like they actually drown out dialogue now, they're so loud.

Funny thing though, even with the volume on them turned up it's really hard to understand what's being said. It's mostly word salad with a few random phrases that make sense, like "DIE" or "GO AWAY". Apparently some are supposed to contain pretty big spoilers for certain NPCs you talk to.

I know for one character, the voices tell you "he speaks with two tongues" when they lie. Lacroix I think?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

There's a guy in the Santa Monica diner that triggers interesting (massive foreshadowing) whispering too. I also like the Malkavian conversation with VV where you just happen to know stuff about her.

I believe some of the dialog with the fortune teller lady on the beach is significantly different too, but I'm not certain.

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 27, 2014

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

King Vidiot posted:

Yes. Originally the Malk Voices were to be far more prominent; in the final release they got toned down a bunch to the point where you can only barely hear them in one or two instances. Wesp put them back as originally scripted.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
One Malk change that I hate about the plus patch is removing the Berserk power and replacing it with another version of the first-level stun power. Berserk can be pretty overpowered but making your enemies crazy should be a signature piece of the Malkavian powerset :colbert:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Huh, I'm not getting any of the inner voices as Malkavian. I've been playing with the 9.0 patch.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

moot the hopple posted:

One Malk change that I hate about the plus patch is removing the Berserk power and replacing it with another version of the first-level stun power. Berserk can be pretty overpowered but making your enemies crazy should be a signature piece of the Malkavian powerset :colbert:

Not only that, they took away Bedlam as the top-tier Dementation discipline. I loved cheating it in with the console getting it and then wrecking havoc on scrub human enemies. But I guess a nice trade-off is that the unofficial patches add more animations, effects and NPC behaviors to the Dementation disciplines. I just wish the patches were more modular, and let you pick and choose what you wanted to replace.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
For all the cool stuff that it adds, there's these out of place bits and decisions that detract from the whole thing. Some things are done on a totally personal whim according to what the patch author believes is "balancing", such as reworking disciplines, while other things are done in an overzealous attempt to restore old content, no matter whether the original designers took them out for a good reason, such as adding the lovely turnstile to the entrance of Confession night club that is impossible NOT to get hung up on before entering.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Am I crazy or is that cop at the Santa Monica pier (the guy who talks about the dead body on the beach) the same voice as Jensen from Human Revolution?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Pretty sure that's the voice of writer and designer Brian Mitsoda who's currently heading up Dead State. It's hilarious how much voice acting duty he pulls in the game, especially with the additional idle/incidental dialogue patched in.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also: Romero, the TV news guy, and unfortunately, the narrator of NWN 2.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Mitsoda is awesome and should narrate most all games.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Tee hee, that thin blood on the beach as a Malk.

"Can you help me find the head vampire?"

"The Dark Father is walking around amongst us."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

The Crotch posted:

Also: Romero, the TV news guy, and unfortunately, the narrator of NWN 2.

To be fair, I wouldn't mind having Romero narrate an NWN game...

"Neverwinter is quite the place to score a hot piece of dwarf rear end. One time I was having a threesome with two of them, and I pulled the one chick's beard so hard it came right off... turns out she was a Strongheart halfling with a fake beard. Gotta love the Thieves Quarter. So anyway, back to the story... "

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Davin Valkri posted:

Have Mercurio or Knox or the bail bondsman mentioned that he sells guns yet, or failing that, have you persuaded him to show his stock? If they have/you have, it might be a Camarilla mod special thingy?

Yeah looking back on the thread someone with the same install as me also complained that Trip's is empty. Other than the skill book, I don't recall ever needing his weapons.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I still get an error where the first time I talk to Jack in the tutorial I only get "I do not have a valid reply" and can't progress past that point. Also my sire has missing textures and in the beginning part of the intro (before Prince is even introduced) my character shows up as a Malkavian male in a hazmat suit even if I'm playing as a female Ventrue. I did pretty much everything the OP told me to do and the bugs still persist, modded or vanilla. What do? :(

Basic Chunnel posted:

Did you install multiple mods? Uninstall then go into the directory, wipe anything left over, and reinstall. Then install just one mod.

Yeah I did this and now I'm running vanilla and it still doesn't work.

Maybe there's a secret directory somewhere I don't know about? Not sure how I would find it though.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 28, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Did you install multiple mods? Uninstall then go into the directory, wipe anything left over, and reinstall. Then install just one mod.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The best thing about Romero is that they modeled his face on Brian Mitsoda, to the point that I remember seeing an unlabeled picture of Mitsoda and recognized him from Bloodlines.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Er, installed the newest Plus patch and now the game's graphics are wonky. Like, the road signs and phone booths are coming up as big pink grids. And the weapon icons and such are all blurry.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I helped Therese/Janette solve that strange psychological crisis, but, I appear to be unable to go down the elevator now to finish my other sidequests. :smith:

Happen to anyone else? I'm running the second newest Fanpatch.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Accordion Man posted:

You're not wrong, some of the dialogue kind feels like the "ha ha I'm so random!" type humor but stuff like all the foreshadowing, the news broadcasts, the stop sign, and the common refrain of "Oh god, not another Malkavian" are good stuff. I'd say the good outweighs the bad. Though I just started Downtown so maybe its too early to tell.

Yeah, the foreshadowing and the things people talk about are great, but the vibe of being written by a single sleep-deprived staffer with a sense of humour that's nerdier than mine in a few all-night binges (<=almost certainly true) sadly spoils it a bit for me.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Avocados posted:

I helped Therese/Janette solve that strange psychological crisis, but, I appear to be unable to go down the elevator now to finish my other sidequests. :smith:

I have a vague memory of that happening. I think there's a really small / hidden elevator call button somewhere in the foyer.

Failing that, maybe you could use console commands to warp out?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Avocados posted:

Just pop in some noclip from the console.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Funny thing, the next time I played the game after posting about not hearing the voices as a Malkavian they started happening in succession. :tinfoil:

Malkavians really are fun, but man I still miss Blood Shield.

Is it worth maxing out Dementate? I'm at Rank 3 right now and while its good, I don't know if the higher tiers do any real damage to vampires. Am I just better off spending them on melee and firearms?

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 29, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Does 9.0 increase the Malk voices? I've done a vanilla Malk run and one a few months ago did an 8.9 and have literally never heard the voices, not once.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I hadn't anticipated that 9.0 would include obfuscate-capable dogs at the beach house who only become visible when you open the back gate and cannot be subjected to targeted powers. Great work, wesp

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I hadn't anticipated that 9.0 would include obfuscate-capable dogs at the beach house who only become visible when you open the back gate and cannot be subjected to targeted powers. Great work, wesp

...is this an actual thing or are you taking the piss?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
There were dogs there in 8.9. They aren't bat-immune mind you.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

xanthan posted:

...is this an actual thing or are you taking the piss?
There's a poorly animated dog in the little enclosed area near the side entrance to the beach house. You can see it until you shut down the power, at which point it appears to wink out of existence (at least if you go by the stealth meter) until you open the gate, at which point it winks back into existence and raises the alarm of all enemies on the map. It makes ghosting the map very difficult. I rolled up an initially combat-averse Nosferatu (investing in animalism at creation, not obfuscate) so it's really annoying.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

There's a poorly animated dog in the little enclosed area near the side entrance to the beach house. You can see it until you shut down the power, at which point it appears to wink out of existence (at least if you go by the stealth meter) until you open the gate, at which point it winks back into existence and raises the alarm of all enemies on the map. It makes ghosting the map very difficult. I rolled up an initially combat-averse Nosferatu (investing in animalism at creation, not obfuscate) so it's really annoying.

Oh, I was wondering why everyone on the map noticed me as soon as I turned off the power... Also explains the phantom damage I took. Didnt notice the dog.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
And then people ask why I still recommend the CQM.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
How the hell do you get in the Giovanni mansion? I don't have enough persuasive skill to convince the two people at the front to give up their invitations, and the guy at the back door doesn't want to let me in.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
So, here I am installing this 10 year old game as a new player who has no idea what anything means. If something is NOT "masquerade friendly", what exactly does that mean? in the OP it says some skills after level 1 is not masquerade friendly.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

So, here I am installing this 10 year old game as a new player who has no idea what anything means. If something is NOT "masquerade friendly", what exactly does that mean? in the OP it says some skills after level 1 is not masquerade friendly.

If you feed on someone or use a non-Masquerade friendly power in public, you will gain a Masquerade violation. Five of those and it's game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

The 'masquerade' is basically a term for the vampires keeping themselves a secret from the general populace. On your stat screen you can see a series of theatre masks and that represents how many times you can gently caress up before other vampires will start showing up to kill you because you're making yourself too known to the humans. (in this game specifically you get a game over, don't gently caress up too much) If a skill isn't masquerade-friendly then using it around normal humans (in basic city hubs and etc., generally) will break the masquerade and spook the poo poo out of them. Other things like draining blood and whatever will obviously break it, too. Certain skills are slight enough to not draw attention to yourself and are safe to use around normal people.

e: it's pretty hard to actively mess up unless you're intentionally going around and doing crazy poo poo in the open, by the way

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 29, 2014

• Locked thread