Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

veedubfreak posted:

Care to explain? Every fat girl has a skinny girl trapped inside trying to get out?

The main character has a psychotic episode brought on by pressure to preform at her job as an entertainer. There is a scene where her reflection appears as a fat version of herself. For reference Black Swan was heavily inspired by Perfect Blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

With regards to red dress anime cosplay, I haven't watched it but from picking up on it from wikipedia ages ago I think the plotline involves some character growing obsessed with another to the point of trying to replace her.

Edit: Spoilered even if I'm not sure if I'm right.

Glagha has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Apr 23, 2014

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The main character has a psychotic episode brought on by pressure to preform at her job as an entertainer. There is a scene where her reflection appears as a fat version of herself. For reference Black Swan was heavily inspired by Perfect Blue.

Huh? No, (this is like the main twist of the movie in a movie that relies on twists and confusion) the overweight girl is her friend/manager. It's a dual madness thing; the main character sees the manager as herself 'cause of her pressure at her job, the manager sees herself as the jpop star. The reflection on a window is just the imagined form against the actual form.

It's all very confusing and I'd suggest people just watch the movie. Satoshi Kon's stuff is up there with Ghibli in the list of "Anime you can watch without liking anime".

Here's the scene in question:

there have been a bunch of very good cosplays of it and I love seeing them every time.

Koramei has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Apr 23, 2014

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Yeah, Perfect Blue is pretty much a Hitchcock story in anime form, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
So, this is the only image I can find of my cosplay at PAX Prime 2013.

The pose is quite terrible, but the dress is amazing. A good friend of mine made it, and I made the guns. The wig was kind-of a disaster.

My first cosplay- Secret Agent Miss Fortune.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

You don't often see pogo-stick riding in animation these days, I'll give them that.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Perfect Blue is an amazing film and you should all watch it. And then watch everything else Satoshi Kon has ever worked on.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

404GoonNotFound posted:

Yeah, Perfect Blue is pretty much a Hitchcock story in anime form, and I mean that in the best way possible.

People say that all the time, but I'd peg it closer to Brian De Palma in style. If you know the difference, you should already be excited.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Perfect Blue is one of very few anime movies I ever recommend people. It's pretty drat good even if it might not be for everyone.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Darren Aranofsky is a big fan, he lifted a bunch of shots from it for Requiem for a Dream as well.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Choco1980 posted:

People say that all the time, but I'd peg it closer to Brian De Palma in style. If you know the difference, you should already be excited.

I'd like to make the distinction that it's early Brian De Palma.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gromit posted:

You don't often see pogo-stick riding in animation these days, I'll give them that.

Part of the film has the vision pogo jumping from lamppost to lamppost.

I actually think that Perfect Blue is one of Kon's weaker films, mainly since he was adapting it rather than working from an original script. And the ending was crap.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 10:46 on Apr 24, 2014

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Wondercon 2014

Awesome Silver Age Catwoman and the bandit from borderlands? in the background

Mad Moxie

Spike and Faye

Modern Catwoman

The girl car mechanic from Jak 2...?

Dark Pheonix

ironveins
Nov 24, 2007
They like you better framed and dried.
The girl car mechanic from Jak 2...?

I think this is Melaka from the Joss Whedon comic "Fray" which was a future time slayer thing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melaka_Fray

That's pretty cool. :)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
My afternoon has been made by this cosplayer named Mini Mal as both Tyrion and Bilbo.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

Haruharuharuko posted:

Modern Catwoman

....on a freakin' foam batpod!!!! :swoon:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Roy Mustang.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Say Nothing posted:

Roy Mustang.

This is causing me literal pain this is so stupid.
I love it!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Haruharuharuko posted:

Wondercon 2014

Mad Moxie

Missing button is in the wrong place. 0/10

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Say Nothing posted:

Roy Mustang.

As a proud owner of that mask my goal has been to get as many uses out of it as possible. Tomorrow I'll be going in costume to the Calgary Comic Expo, so hopefully I'll bring back a good pic or two.

Here are my friends and I after we simultaneously decided to go as Hotline Miami for Halloween:

More here.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Spike and Faye

No one ever gets the cig right. Needs to be at least twice as hosed up, preferably three or four times.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

HardDisk posted:

Missing button is in the wrong place. 0/10

But her heart's in the right place. Wait, no it isn't!

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Gromit posted:

But her heart's in the right place. Wait, no it isn't!

It's like she expects Boobs to make up for her lack of cosplaology. :colbert:

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I respect women who choose to cosplay as Moxxi but drat I can't imagine how much creep they attract at cons.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I respect women who choose to cosplay as Moxxi but drat I can't imagine how much creep they attract at cons.

I'd imagine you go into it knowing what kind of attention they'll be getting, and I'd also imagine that a fair bit of them enjoy that attention.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Interestingly enough, I rarely see bad Mad Moxxi cosplay. The worst I usually see is about average, but a lot of the stuff out there is really good.

And here are a few others from the Cosplayer's deviantart page.

Dawn from Contrast:

Elizabeth from Bioshock Infinite:

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
I don't really get why women choose to cosplay characters that were specifically designed for nothing but sex appeal/wank material for horny teenagers. These characters are objectification in its purest form; there must be some reason to buy into that, which I can't quite figure out. What's the appeal of cosplaying as them?

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Hydrolith posted:

I don't really get why women choose to cosplay characters that were specifically designed for nothing but sex appeal/wank material for horny teenagers. These characters are objectification in its purest form; there must be some reason to buy into that, which I can't quite figure out. What's the appeal of cosplaying as them?
Attention is one motivator.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
It's one of the only comparatively safe environments to dress like that in? Try dressing like that in a day to day situation.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Hydrolith posted:

Different women have different ideas on what they do and don't find objectifying. In addition, everybody has their own ideas on what they feel comfortable wearing. As Koramei said, Cosplay is one of the relatively safe spaces for women to wear outfits like that. Which says a lot, considering how prevalent attitudes like this are:

Lorak posted:

Attention is one motivator.

People justify making really gross comments by saying that they're just looking for attention/want people to ogle them. And for as bad as it gets in the cosplay community, it'd be infinitely worse in day-to-day life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some girls just want to have fun in a place where they can dress up and have a blast. Sure, some want the attention but in a lot of cases they just want to have fun. Same for the guys.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lance Streetman posted:

Different women have different ideas on what they do and don't find objectifying. In addition, everybody has their own ideas on what they feel comfortable wearing. As Koramei said, Cosplay is one of the relatively safe spaces for women to wear outfits like that. Which says a lot, considering how prevalent attitudes like this are:

People justify making really gross comments by saying that they're just looking for attention/want people to ogle them. And for as bad as it gets in the cosplay community, it'd be infinitely worse in day-to-day life.

If attention wasn't a motivator nobody would bother going to conventions. Now not all attention is bad and I'm sure outfits like Starcraft female marine get just as much if not more attention than sexy outfits.

Plenty of people like getting ogled man or woman. I would agree that it's worse in day to day life because unwanted comments rarely come in the presence of a third party.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Hydrolith posted:

It can be difficult to find female characters that have cool outfits that don't feel objectifying. I end up cosplaying men fairly frequently because my friends want to do something from whatever game and there just aren't any women in it that I'd be even remotely willing to dress up as. Some people don't want to do a gender swap so they pick a very sexualized female character and hope for the best. I think there's an equal thing where women expect (realistically or not) that guys will be able to reign in their reptilian brain and dress as sexy characters, and then are disappointed when they get creeped on. It can be tough. I myself compensate by carrying enormous weapons and looking really mean when I have cleavage in an outfit, it works alright.

Also, as the 'celebrity cosplay' thing gets bigger, I think a lot of women feel like they won't get noticed if they don't wear sexy outfits. I unfortunately think there's a lot of truth to that.

LingcodKilla posted:

If attention wasn't a motivator nobody would bother going to conventions. Now not all attention is bad and I'm sure outfits like Starcraft female marine get just as much if not more attention than sexy outfits.

Plenty of people like getting ogled man or woman. I would agree that it's worse in day to day life because unwanted comments rarely come in the presence of a third party.
I get plenty of attention but in my experience, nobody creeps on a woman in power armor.
e. Also, as I thought about it more, I think I get the same or more attention at conventions but far, far less than the sexy ladies online. It makes it hard to try to get known enough to do stuff like quit my job to become a convention personality or do commissions or whatever. I like the stuff I make though and I think I'd be really uncomfortable going much sexier than booby full plate fantasy armor so I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

So I was at C2E2 for their Crown Championship of Cosplay last night, here's a backstage shot of me with the guy who won! His Delta costume was really cool and all the gears on his drill spun as well as the big main part. Totally looks like I'm grabbing his rear end here, although neither of us would know since he was wearing like 2 inches of foam padding and I had fake hands.

McPantserton has a new favorite as of 03:21 on Apr 28, 2014

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Even in cosplay I can't help but see Bomberman. I guess that makes it a good likeness.

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Lance Streetman posted:

It seems to me that these characters are designed specifically to be sex symbols, though. Eg Moxxi, Ivy from Soul Calibur, the women of Dead or Alive.

McPantserton's comment makes a lot of sense. It does seem like there's not a lot of choice in the matter; that there aren't many cool female characters whose visual design isn't sexualised.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Sometimes wearing nearly nothing is nice. Cosplay is one of the only ways this is possible. I don't see why this is so revelatory or unbelievable. Just because you think all these characters are only sex symbols doesn't mean they have to be.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Additionally, there's nothing wrong with looking sexy and showing off.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Koramei posted:

Sometimes wearing nearly nothing is nice. Cosplay is one of the only ways this is possible. I don't see why this is so revelatory or unbelievable. Just because you think all these characters are only sex symbols doesn't mean they have to be.

There is currently a ton of focus in the game industry about how poorly female characters are presented and treated in the majority of games. It's not absurd for someone to be confused why a woman would deliberately dress in something that's being decried as embarrassing or eye-rolling or whatever elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Hydrolith posted:

It seems to me that these characters are designed specifically to be sex symbols, though. Eg Moxxi, Ivy from Soul Calibur, the women of Dead or Alive.

Again, different people feel differently about it. Those characters are designed as sex symbols, but that doesn't mean there aren't people who like wearing outfits like that.

LingcodKilla posted:

If attention wasn't a motivator nobody would bother going to conventions.

People don't just go to cons for attention, though. People like cons for the atmosphere, for the ability to geek out with their friends, and to just have fun. And people like wearing what they want. Just because they like wearing outfits like that at cons doesn't mean they want a lot of attention.

Or to put it another way, your argument basically suggests that people who don't want attention shouldn't wear revealing outfits outside of their own homes. Which is kind of a gross (but unfortunately very common) sentiment if you think about it for a moment.

• Locked thread