Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Dude lived an awesome life, though.

Sure did! I'm old enough that I got to see them on the 'Scumdogs of the Universe' tour. :3

Costa Rica update: holy poo poo these folks are wizards with masa! Amazing tamales, and even the nachos are fantastic. The famous lizano sauce is great, but it reminds me a bit of A1 Sauce. And fruit is so fresh that I may never eat tropical fruit in Boston again.

Foods not very spicy though. How do I ask for hotter food in Spanish? I know that 'caliente' means 'hot', but is that the same as spicy-hot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Picante

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
"Mas picante por favor. Quiero un recto de fuego."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

"Mas picante por favor. Quiero un recto de fuego."

Hahahaha. I know just enough Spanish to guess the meaning of that. But isn't 'culo' the correct word for that particular body part?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Squashy Nipples posted:

But isn't 'culo' the correct word for that particular body part?

culo is informal. It's like the difference between butt and rear end.

Culo de fuego! for life though.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Anyone got a good pie crust recipe/a good write up on pie technique? I use my moms old recipe that's flour/shortening/salt/water but it never rolls out neatly and I'd like to switch to butter . I'm tired of all my tasty pies from my rhubarb plants looking like a retard made them.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Anyone got a good pie crust recipe/a good write up on pie technique? I use my moms old recipe that's flour/shortening/salt/water but it never rolls out neatly and I'd like to switch to butter . I'm tired of all my tasty pies from my rhubarb plants looking like a retard made them.
I've talked about pâte brisée a couple times, e.g. here.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I use the one from king arthur flour's book, and i never have problems with that.
http://imgur.com/a/ZPjfr

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Oh, one of the things I do is to split the dough into two parts, one slightly larger than the other. I wrap them in waxed paper and let them sit overnight in the fridge.

Then I get more waxed paper and take the put it down on the counter, place the dough on top of the waxed paper and place more waxed paper over the dough. I then roll out the dough with a rolling pin btween the two sheets of waxed paper. I place the rolling pin in the middle of the ball then roll towards me, then move around a bit (I use an island to work on so i have 360 degree access) and roll from the middle again.

I keep doing this until i have a big flat circle of dough. Then I take the top layer off, put my pie plate upside down in the center of the dough, wrap the waxed paper around and then flip the entire thing over. The dough falls into the pie plate and I don't have to gently caress around trying to get it even. I then peal the other sheets of waxed paper off, gently press the dough down so its even, and put the pie filling in.

I do a similar thing for the crust, except I just pick up the waxed paper holding the crust and flip that over so the dough meets dough.

Make sense?

[edit] here is a pie i recently made if you have not seen it yet about to be baked. I did above to make this.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 28, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Make your pie dough with lard, thank me later.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I'm not claiming this is the One True Crust, but Smitten Kitchen's All Butter Pie Crust works out really well for me. I usually forgo her "don't use vodka like Cook's Illustrated recipe" and use vodka/booze anyways. I also make it all in the food processor and then let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. It's sometimes a little sticky and rough to lay out, but the wax paper trick explained above with adequate flouring of your papers should work out perfectly.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

EVG posted:

What cocoa do you buy? We always use Penzey's Dutch process cocoa. It may be that I just had bad scratch recipes. :) It took me a long time to realize that ATK, while informative and entertaining, is not always going tone perfect (despite them pretty much claiming that).

Pernigotti or Droste have both treated me well. I've had goods baked with Valrhona and it may have been the recipe, but they weren't great.

e: listen to CdC, lard is the business.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 28, 2014

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hahahaha. I know just enough Spanish to guess the meaning of that. But isn't 'culo' the correct word for that particular body part?

You are in polite company! You wouldn't want to be inappropriate, so I gave you the scientific term.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Freeze your butter and then grate it on a box grater right into your flour. Makes it easy to incorporate.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Using "retard" ain't cool.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, use a nice word like lame, moron, idiot, or dunce.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Do you have a food processor? I'm too lazy to work with flour unless I'm getting paid, but the food processor makes it pretty easy especially if you throw the blade and container in the freezer beforehand. The most important part is keeping the dough cold, so the fastest method will generally be the best.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 28, 2014

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

bunnielab posted:

Yeah, use a nice word like lame, moron, idiot, or dunce.

This pie crust looks like a fieri made it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
In all seriousness I did ask my coworkers on a job last week to say "cone sieve" instead of chinois or china cap, because those are kind of racist. Much like "human being" or "retard", the only way to remove hate speech is to simply and consciously say something else. Assholes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not to mention it isn't even shaped like the stereotypical Chinaman hat. It's shaped more like a dunce cap.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Nine of Eight posted:

This pie crust looks like a fieri made it.

I vote that "a fieri" enters into GWS vernacular when used like this.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp
http://thefeedreport.com

We found the worst restaurant review blog. I've never before seen someone so baffled by the concept of garnishes, icecream, chopsticks, or meat cooked less than a well done charcoal brick.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

slingshot effect posted:

We found the worst restaurant review blog. I've never before seen someone so baffled by the concept of garnishes, icecream, chopsticks, or meat cooked less than a well done charcoal brick.

Wow. Of carpaccio:

quote:

Something very spicy here. :|

Nice emoticon bro.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

slingshot effect posted:

"Reviews of Adelaide's Finest Restaurants, by Someone Who Knows Nothing About Food"

In one of his posts, he complains about his duck having fat on it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

contrapants posted:

"Reviews of Adelaide's Finest Restaurants, by Someone Who Knows Nothing About Food"

He's selling himself short, as he appears to not know anything about fashion, grooming or being photogenic either.

And am I reading this right, he only goes to places that have a $$$ or better rating?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
A lot of the ones I looked at had $ or $$.

Nearly everything I saw was "this has a nice flavor" without actually describing it, so I stopped after I looked at only a handful of reviews. Maybe the others are more highly priced.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

contrapants posted:

In one of his posts, he complains about his duck having fat on it.
My dad tried pork belly once on my recommendation at an upscale restaurant. He said it was a ripoff because there was barely any meat left after he cut all the fat off and didn't understand why I liked it.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

confonnit posted:

My dad tried pork belly once on my recommendation at an upscale restaurant. He said it was a ripoff because there was barely any meat left after he cut all the fat off and didn't understand why I liked it.

Convince him to start a food blog. I promise I will read it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

slingshot effect posted:

This guy has to be a troll, right?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Vegetable Melange posted:

In all seriousness I did ask my coworkers on a job last week to say "cone sieve" instead of chinois or china cap, because those are kind of racist. Much like "human being" or "retard", the only way to remove hate speech is to simply and consciously say something else. Assholes.
So racist to describe the hat.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

This guy has to be a troll, right?
Daniel Piechnick or Adelaide, South Australia:

Introduction

Internet entrepreneur.

Member and former State Chairman of Mensa.

Current highest rated tournament Scrabble player in SA. (as of Feb '12)

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Is it an Australian thing to say "I'm going to feed" instead of "I'm going to eat," or is this guy a vampire?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

confonnit posted:

Your dad would get along just fine with this guy:

"Despite just being listed as 'pork', this turns out to be pork belly. ...I perform surgery on the dish, and extricate the meat from the fat."

And the overall rating: ":( :( Surprise pork belly"

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I saw GWAR in 2006. Dave Brockie is dead now. I'm not even gonna gloat, because the fact that he's gone is too sad for everyone who never got to see them.

Dude lived an awesome life, though.

I saw 'em twice in the late 90's early 2000s. Awesome shows.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

"This little cauldron is extremely hot. There's nothing worse than being hungry, and being served super-hot food.

Part of what makes this taste good is probably its lack if vegetables.

I won't penalise the dish for it, but it stays hot for way too long, and I'm still having to blow on it right to the end of the meal."

:staredog:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

You are in polite company! You wouldn't want to be inappropriate, so I gave you the scientific term.

Lol! Truly, what Spanish I know is gutter talk; I learned from hanging with some thugs (vatos) that I worked with at the brake rotor factory. So I can score my own motah, you see.

They also taught me 4 different words for 'friend of the family', which I have never used, and have happily forgotten.

contrapants posted:

Is it an Australian thing to say "I'm going to feed" instead of "I'm going to eat," or is this guy a vampire?

Yep, I made snow one winter with a bunch of Ozzies, and they said that all the time. Usually as "get a feed", though.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Vegetable Melange posted:

chinois...hate speech

Is this really hate speech? I get that it's supposedly called a Chinois because it looks like a stereotypical Chinese conical hat, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's hate speech.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Scientastic posted:

Is this really hate speech? I get that it's supposedly called a Chinois because it looks like a stereotypical Chinese conical hat, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's hate speech.

I've seen those hats on people all over Vietnam, but none at all in China. I'm not sure that I'd call it hate speech either. It's racist as hell though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The worst kind of racist is a hat racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

every hat should be a happy hat