Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

SedanChair posted:

I've offended you? That's terrible!

I am saying that most black people are not upwardly mobile professionals. They do not necessarily weigh the same things that people in Obama's class weigh.

No. What you said was that Obamas relationship with his wife was based on pure cold calculating demographic appeal which is a weird thing to say.

If your point was to say that black elites often hold the same values as white elites I would disagree with you because as an "upwardly mobile minority" I get plenty of "one of the good ones" bullshit and I still have retained my empathy for other people of my race despite my aspirations.

I've also not chosen a mate solely because of her ability to help my career. As it stands I apparently am mostly motivated by cute butts.

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Q=/=E

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Georgia passed a new gun law, allowing them to be carried drat near anywhere (including airports and churches, the former where the feds frown harshly, the latter where it has been a mortal sin for 800 years)

How is that working out?

quote:

Parents at a Forysth County park abruptly stopped a children's baseball game after growing suspicions of the behavior of a man carrying a gun in a waist holster Tuesday night.

"He's just walking around [saying] 'See my gun? Look, I got a gun and there's nothing you can do about it.' He knew he was frightening people. He knew exactly what he was doing," said parent Karen Rabb.

Rabb told Channel 2’s Tom Regan the parents grew so alarmed that they brought the game to a halt when the man declined a request that he leave a parking lot overlooking the baseball field.

“He scared people to the point where we stopped the game, took the kids out of the dugout and behind the dugout, and kind of hunkered down,” Rabb said.

Park users flooded 911 with 22 calls about the man. Forysth County deputies questioned the man, and found that he had a permit for the handgun. Authorities said since the man made no verbal threats or gestures, they could neither arrest him nor ask him to leave the park.

Another parent questioned what point the man was trying to prove.

"Why would anyone be walking around a public park, with a lot of children and parents and people here playing baseball, and he's walking around with a gun? I don't think the parents would have been nervous had he just had the gun in his holster and was just watching the game," said parent Paris Horton.

Rabb's 6-year-old son Ethan was playing at the time and later expressed concern to his mother.

"When I was reading my son's story last night, he turned to me and said 'Mommy, did that man want to kill me?'" said Rabb.

The Forsyth County sheriff said he didn't believe the parents and children were in any danger and that parks are constantly patrolled. He said while the man was within his rights to carry the gun, his conduct was inappropriate.

"We support the constitutional right to bear arms. We will not tolerate bad behavior," said Forsyth Sheriff Duane Piper.

The director of Georgia Carry, a gun rights and lobbying organization, also questioned what the man was trying to do.

"There's a right and a wrong way to exercise your right. This is not the right way," said Georgia Carry Executive Director Jerry Henry.

Rabb said she, too, is a gun rights advocate.

"I own a gun. I have no problems with the Second Amendment. But they do not belong in a parking lot where we have children everywhere. If you want to make a statement, go to the Capitol," said Rabb.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/man-gun-causes-scare-during-childrens-baseball-gam/nfhJS/

gently caress the idea that a tool is a fashion accessory, a ritual totem, or a way to prove something.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Fried Chicken posted:

Georgia passed a new gun law, allowing them to be carried drat near anywhere (including airports and churches, the former where the feds frown harshly, the latter where it has been a mortal sin for 800 years)

How is that working out?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/man-gun-causes-scare-during-childrens-baseball-gam/nfhJS/

gently caress the idea that a tool is a fashion accessory, a ritual totem, or a way to prove something.

Maybe you should pay a visit to the gun chat to see their perspective.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rexicon1 posted:

No. What you said was that Obamas relationship with his wife was based on pure cold calculating demographic appeal which is a weird thing to say.

If your point was to say that black elites often hold the same values as white elites I would disagree with you because as an "upwardly mobile minority" I get plenty of "one of the good ones" bullshit and I still have retained my empathy for other people of my race despite my aspirations.

I've also not chosen a mate solely because of her ability to help my career. As it stands I apparently am mostly motivated by cute butts.

What I actually said was that Obama is a pretty calculating guy and I'm not sure he has any motivations besides ambition. I think that's reasonable to say. Why should I give him the benefit of the doubt? He's the President, gently caress him. I said that I like him, but I like him in the context of "guys who can be President." He ruins people's lives for political gain. He's the deporter-in-chief, the drone-striker-in-chief. Now he's finally arming Syrians, just to make sure that Syria stays a war-torn wasteland. That he is not a good person is a given. As for his emotions? Please. The only time he ever choked up is when he got re-elected. He's a snake like every 2008 primary candidate except Kucinich.

I picked him, but I don't trust him. I don't think he's any better a person than Bibi Netenyahu or Putin. He's just doing a different job. If he was in their shoes he'd be doing their jobs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

quote:

If you want to make a statement, go to the Capitol," said Rabb.

Actually he can't do that because the law still leaves it illegal to bring guns into the Capitol!

Don't the legislators trust law-abiding Georgians to carry guns in their presence?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SedanChair posted:

He's a snake like every 2008 primary candidate except Kucinich.
No, please, why limit yourself? Are you sure Kucinich hasn't just sold you a bill of goods, and is in fact a black-eyed glassy-staring soulless sucking parasitic monster who would turf you over if it furthered his ambition? On what grounds do you make this audacious claim that Kucinich might be a human being instead of some kind of dark incubus like every other political figure in our representative government?

They are (mostly) not monsters. All the evil that they do, is done by people who are definitely ambitious and perhaps egomaniacal, but ultimately human. This is the true horror, or tragedy, or comedy of the situation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nessus posted:

Are you sure Kucinich hasn't just sold you a bill of goods, and is in fact a black-eyed glassy-staring soulless sucking parasitic monster who would turf you over if it furthered his ambition? On what grounds do you make this audacious claim that Kucinich might be a human being instead of some kind of dark incubus like every other political figure in our representative government?

No Kucinich is all those things, but I like him. Why do you assume I don't like him just because I think he harbors only a dark soulless emptiness behind his human-seeming visage?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I really thought for a minute about Kucinich after I wrote that, but you quoted it before I could go back and take it out.

Of course they're human. There are some scary motherfucking humans out there and Obama is far from the scariest. At least his ambition and craving for approval mean that he tries to govern well. Somebody like Palin would barbecue this country in a minute and laugh on top of the ashes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SedanChair posted:

I really thought for a minute about Kucinich after I wrote that, but you quoted it before I could go back and take it out.

Of course they're human. There are some scary motherfucking humans out there and Obama is far from the scariest. At least his ambition and craving for approval mean that he tries to govern well. Somebody like Palin would barbecue this country in a minute and laugh on top of the ashes.
Well I'm not gonna lie that you seem to have a pretty weird view of human nature here then. Do you think EVERY human is motivated solely by ambition? I suppose you could probably bend over backwards, the way the objectivists bend over backwards to make everything an expression of rational self interest, but it doesn't seem like it would bear much fruit.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

The problem was that you asserted this idea he married for power and position without literally any evidence to point to that. The theory was absurd, and pointing to Nixon as someone who you can't tell was a loving psycho is weird because there is literally evidence in recordings and first-hand accounts that he was just that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Rexicon1 posted:

SedanChair has taken the little factoid about sociopathy being an advantage in high competitive/leadership environments and that those environments tend to have a higher proportion of sociopaths, and run with it to the fact that Obama is a sociopath who doesn't love his family and plotted everything to get to where he is, nevermind the historical record showing his support came from the Jackson and Kennedy machines. It is a glib grasp based off misunderstanding a headline that he clings to because it reinforces his pre-existing view of the world, that is far removed from the actual information from the studies. He is no different from libertarians twisting economics or racists twisting evolution. Cranks twisting science to prove what they want rather than what is is an old saw.

If you are actually interested in this kind of stuff and don't have 12 years and a quarter of a million dollars to use to get a formal education, I recommend starting by reading books by Vilayanur S. Ramachandran (Amazon, Wiki) He does a good job laying out in fairly easy to understand way exactly how weird the brain is and how much of your identity and actions is grounded in neurology by going though a long list of incredibly odd brain conditions (like the variation on hydrocephalus where people function at genius levels despite their brains basically not existing). He also eases you into the admittedly uncomfortable ideas that neurologists are realizing about all this. Then go to Martha Stout who focuses on antisocial personality disorder, and covers it not as a binary thing, but as closer to a spectrum, with degrees of it at varying frequency and how they manifest. Finally you want Snakes in Suits and The Psychopath Test, by now you will be able to see what they are getting at when they talk about "society selects for sociopaths in leadership roles" but have enough grounding to filter out the buzz that sells the books from the actual research buried in it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I never said he was a sociopath.

joeburz posted:

The problem was that you asserted this idea he married for power and position without literally any evidence to point to that. The theory was absurd, and pointing to Nixon as someone who you can't tell was a loving psycho is weird because there is literally evidence in recordings and first-hand accounts that he was just that.

What I said was that his move to Chicago, his church and marriage all were a part of taking on the identity he chose for himself. It's not like the Habsburgs or something, it's just picking a great political wife.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Job Truniht posted:

Their perspective being they need a million guns for when the blacks finally revolt and can be freely murdered?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SedanChair posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621917&userid=37552&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post428851921

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3621917&userid=37552&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post428852302

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Job Truniht posted:

TFR: where they disagree with the idea of using eye and hearing protection at the range, and jack it with cheeto dust encrusted fingers to every "tactical" accessory there is. Yeah, I don't think so. They are basically the exact case of the "fashion accessory" thing ReindeerF was talking about earlier. Do they have another "post a picture of your gun" thread yet where 80% of the pictures are of goons pointing said guns at the camera to have a "badass" photo? Because that thread was just wonderful, really convinced me they were all responsible adults and not, you know, utter goons.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Well everything's wrong with what you just said about TFR, but that's derail bait right there.

Thanks for quoting very specifically where I came closest to implying that Obama was a sociopath but stopped short of actually doing so.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

SedanChair has taken the little factoid about sociopathy being an advantage in high competitive/leadership environments and that those environments tend to have a higher proportion of sociopaths, and run with it to the fact that Obama is a sociopath who doesn't love his family and plotted everything to get to where he is, nevermind the historical record showing his support came from the Jackson and Kennedy machines. It is a glib grasp based off misunderstanding a headline that he clings to because it reinforces his pre-existing view of the world, that is far removed from the actual information from the studies. He is no different from libertarians twisting economics or racists twisting evolution. Cranks twisting science to prove what they want rather than what is is an old saw.

If you are actually interested in this kind of stuff and don't have 12 years and a quarter of a million dollars to use to get a formal education, I recommend starting by reading books by Vilayanur S. Ramachandran (Amazon, Wiki) He does a good job laying out in fairly easy to understand way exactly how weird the brain is and how much of your identity and actions is grounded in neurology by going though a long list of incredibly odd brain conditions (like the variation on hydrocephalus where people function at genius levels despite their brains basically not existing). He also eases you into the admittedly uncomfortable ideas that neurologists are realizing about all this. Then go to Martha Stout who focuses on antisocial personality disorder, and covers it not as a binary thing, but as closer to a spectrum, with degrees of it at varying frequency and how they manifest. Finally you want Snakes in Suits and The Psychopath Test, by now you will be able to see what they are getting at when they talk about "society selects for sociopaths in leadership roles" but have enough grounding to filter out the buzz that sells the books from the actual research buried in it.

The Psychopath Test is a great book.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

SedanChair posted:

Oh, you didn't? I must have been hallucinating then, because when in response to you claiming that Obama married solely due to power-mad ambition I replied:

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Dude, seriously? (Most) politicians are people too, you know.

You chose to reply:

SedanChair posted:

Yes, sociopaths are people.

So let me go into Columbo mode here for a moment and ask you to explain this for me, 'cause I'm just not seeing it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Well everything's wrong with what you just said about TFR, but that's derail bait right there.
so if I go there now I won't find people arguing hearing protection is over rated? You want to toxx on that?

quote:

Thanks for quoting very specifically where I came closest to implying that Obama was a sociopath but stopped short of actually doing so.

Oh for the love of gently caress grow up. You have been completely misrepresenting Hare's work here just like I called you on, and now are trying to skim by with "OK, but technically I never said those exact words"

You are being a complete idiot and got called on it, now try acting like an adult and admit it rather than playing at being Sarah Palin lite.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

so if I go there now I won't find people arguing hearing protection is over rated? You want to toxx on that?

Not that aren't being yelled at and schooled pretty hard.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Not that aren't being yelled at and schooled pretty hard.

Never engage sedanchair. Got it.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

It's hard to say anything about this since it was before my time, but I will ask: Did Nixon set the precedent to where Americans became increasingly tolerant towards corruption in Washington for an entire generation? Nobody here can sincerely argue about the surprising amount of sociopaths in Washington when it has been that way for 30 years.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Captain_Maclaine posted:

So let me go into Columbo mode here for a moment and ask you to explain this for me, 'cause I'm just not seeing it.

You are taking his quote out of context.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Fried Chicken posted:

How is that working out?

I hope the guy was doing this specifically to be a problem in order to generate backlash against the law because it's the only way any gun laws are ever going to get toned back. This is Georgia though... :shrug:

Not sure how their action wouldn't be considered a public nuisance though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Job Truniht posted:

It's hard to say anything about this since it was before my time, but I will ask: Did Nixon set the precedent to where Americans became increasingly tolerant towards corruption in Washington for an entire generation? Nobody here can sincerely argue about the surprising amount of sociopaths in Washington when it has been that way for 30 years.

Please describe why you think there was less corruption in the past, and more now?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Job Truniht posted:

Well it was his pardoning that really told everyone in washington they'd get off the hook from anything too heinous.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Install Windows posted:

Please describe why you think there was less corruption in the past, and more now?

It's not what I meant. No doubt, there was an entire historical period full of political corruption called the Gilded Age. At that time and well into the 20s, there was serious amount of political unrest over those movements when the public wasn't busy attempting to sack politicians procedurally.

I'm moreso talking about the public's reaction to Ford pardoning Nixon, the Iron Contra, the October Surprise Incident, the Drug War, Scooter Libby, DeLay, and Greneda and the Second Iraq War, respectively. Anyone who seriously looks back on half the poo poo Reagon did and what HW did to make sure nobody went to jail, there is a deliberate level of complacency going on.

I was always under the impression that what Nixon brought to the table was a lot more complacency towards corruption, since everyone and their dog knew he was hideously corrupt well before he ever entered the White House.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Fried Chicken posted:

To quote Helldump from years ago, this should do wonders for America's ailing passenger train industry.

Wait they let you carry guns on Amtrak now don't they? gently caress. :negative:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

StandardVC10 posted:

Wait they let you carry guns on Amtrak now don't they? gently caress. :negative:

What?

quote:

Effective December 15, 2010, Amtrak will accept reservations of firearms and ammunition for carriage between Amtrak stations and on Amtrak trains within the United States that offer checked baggage service. Thruway Bus Services will not be included in this service change. The following policies are in effect:

Notification that the passenger will be checking firearms/ammunition must be made no later than 24 hours before train departure by calling Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL. Online reservations for firearms/ammunition are not accepted.
The passengers must travel on the same train that is transporting the checked firearms and/or ammunition.
All firearms and/or ammunition must be checked at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled train departure. Some larger stations require that baggage be checked earlier. Please contact your departure station for more details.
All firearms (rifles, shotguns, handguns, starter pistols) must be unloaded and in an approved, locked hard-sided container not exceeding 62" L x 17" W x 7" D (1575 mm x 432 mm x 178 mm). The passenger must have sole possession of the key or the combination for the lock to the container. The weight of the container may not exceed 50 lb/23 kg.
Smaller locked, hard-sided containers containing smaller unloaded firearms such as handguns and starter pistols must be securely stored within a suitcase or other item of checked baggage, but the existence of such a firearm must be declared.
All ammunition carried must be securely packed in the original manufacturer's container; in fiber, wood, or metal boxes; or in other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition. The maximum weight of all ammunition and containers may not exceed 11 lb/5 kg.
The passenger is responsible for knowing and following all federal, state, and local firearm laws at all jurisdictions to and through which he or she will be travelling.
All other Amtrak checked baggage policies apply, including limits on the number of pieces of checked baggage, the maximum weight of each piece (50 lb/23 kg).
Firearms/ammunition may not be carried in carry-on baggage; therefore, checked baggage must be available on all trains and at all stations in the passenger's itinerary.
At the time of check-in, passengers will be required to complete and sign a two-part Declaration Form.
BB guns and Compressed Air Guns (to include paintball markers), are to be treated as firearms and must comply with the above firearms policy. Canisters, tanks, or other devices containing propellants must be emptied prior to checking and securely packaged within the contents of the passenger's luggage.

Unloaded guns in checked baggage with forms to fill out at the station doesn't sound like carrying guns to me.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Install Windows posted:

What?

Unloaded guns in checked baggage with forms to fill out at the station doesn't sound like carrying guns to me.

Ah, whatever, guess I'm just misremembering.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Evil Fluffy posted:

I hope the guy was doing this specifically to be a problem in order to generate backlash against the law because it's the only way any gun laws are ever going to get toned back. This is Georgia though... :shrug:

And if black man did the same thing, he would have been arrested, if not shot on the spot.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

How is that working out?

gently caress the lady who claims to support the Second Amendment but doesn't think the man who brandished guns around her children should be allowed to express it. Maybe she'll moderate her view a little bit now that she's been forced to experience the logical conclusion of the world view she claimed to support.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

gently caress the lady who claims to support the Second Amendment but doesn't think the man who brandished guns around her children should be allowed to express it. Maybe she'll moderate her view a little bit now that she's been forced to experience the logical conclusion of the world view she claimed to support.

These are logical outcomes to their views, not crazy fantasies outside their imaginations. It baffles me.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

Swan Oat posted:

:allears: I could watch Hitch get waterboarded all day.

(From the last page.)

It's too bad that someone I admired for trolling other talking heads on cable news networks in an often hilarious manner and speaking out virulently against religion had such terrible opinions on pretty much everything else.

Ninjasaurus fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 28, 2014

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Some people who claim to support the Second Amendment just mean that they think it's okay for people to own firearms, not that they have to have them in arm's reach at all times, to stroke them and soothe them with whispers of praise. Just because "Second Amendment" has been adopted as a shibboleth for crazy people doesn't mean that normal humans don't use it as well.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

VitalSigns posted:

I'll say that I was kind of uncomfortable with Sotomayor's quote about how a wise Latina may reach a better ruling than a white man who hasn't lived that life...but that's because I was stupid and wrong.

And nothing drove that point home for me harder than reading the dozens of pages Sotomayor authored about the continuing impact of discrimination in this country, and then to see John Roberts write like a page about how the only racism that still exists is when minorities point out discrimination to make white people feel bad :qq:

White straight men have almost nothing of value to say about the minority experience, and even when presented with absolute evidence of it, tend to deny it to hell and back. I know there's a chance I'd have been like that were it not for my liberal parents.

Protip for other straight white guys: if somebody you're talking to is not straight and/or white and/or male, and they want to talk about their experience being mistreated by society, SHUT THE gently caress UP, and say nothing other than "I'm sorry", "that sucks", and "I will try never to do that". WE KNOW NOTHING, FELLOW STRAIGHT WHITE GUYS. We can empathize, we can learn the facts, but we will never know the emotional truth because by accident of birth we won the Non-Persecution Lottery. Most people here probably know this anyway because SA's managed to drive out most of the A. Wyatt Mann types, but it bears saying anyway.

also The Wise Latinas would be a good name for a rock band.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Mornacale posted:

Some people who claim to support the Second Amendment just mean that they think it's okay for people to own firearms, not that they have to have them in arm's reach at all times, to stroke them and soothe them with whispers of praise. Just because "Second Amendment" has been adopted as a shibboleth for crazy people doesn't mean that normal humans don't use it as well.

Yes well for a lot of them who automatically believed that 2A was the exclusive domain of "the good guys" and not of people who intimidate families at children's baseball games, maybe this will be a valuable eye-opener about exactly the types of people they've decided to throw in their political lot with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The new law didn't legalize any actions that he was taking. Depending on what exactly happened he may be guilty of brandishing.

• Locked thread