Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Quality mace can be ok if you barely meet the requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why, why are there so many bloodstains around these harmless npcs?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Internet Kraken posted:

Plus this games gimmick fights are way better than the ones in Dark Souls. I'd fight the :byodood:DOOM CHARIOT:byodood: a hundred times before going anywhere near Bed of Chaos again.

No, no, no. That's a bad comparison. Bed of Chaos was stupid, so stupid it wasn't even really a boss fight.

I'd rather loving fight the Chariot over and over again instead of fighting the Capra Demon bossfight again. gently caress that arena and his dogs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

Probably because the default interact key is something retarded like ctrl+left click.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SynthOrange posted:

Rule 1 of Dark Souls is to fight NPCs for their clothes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Cool. So I sit 10 minutes to find a duel. Get instakilled by someone using spells I haven't even seen. Half the time I hit someone it makes the stab sound but it doesn't even damage. So basically now being a dark wraith is reserved only for the assholes that minmax their builds and there is no fun to be had for anyone other than them.

gently caress.

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine
Chiming in on Black Witch Staff.

It's pretty incredible. Solid damage for all types, takes up one slot to cast hexes, spells and miracles, no need to swap if you're using a variety.

Handy to have when buffing a Blue Flame with CMW while obliterating everything with resonant soul and providing heals for your fellow bellbros.

If you can't settle on a magic type, and don't feel like farming shards for separate items, it's definitely the way to go.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
There's a giant crack in the wall in the Lost Bastille, and I suspect that there's a bonfire behind it. How to I get to it?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is there an item that makes you take no damage from backstab or did I run into a hacker or something?

Artificer posted:

There's a giant crack in the wall in the Lost Bastille, and I suspect that there's a bonfire behind it. How to I get to it?

If you are where I think you are, you can roll an explosive barrel down the stairs leading to it

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cnidaria posted:

Yeah the plot doesn't really ask you to care about Drangleic at all. In fact a lot of NPC dialogue and various other sources imply that you were simply drawn there by the Dark. You are simply one of many undead exploring the remnants of the kingdom (although you are probably the most successful in your world).

poo poo it would help if they could make you care tho. At least make me care a little rather than being some random rear end in a top hat. I mean you were a random rear end in a top hat in the other games too, but you slowly got sucked into the mythos and pathos of the world and became a apart of it. Whereas here I'm in a video game.

Seriously is there a reason we level up at a girl now other than "oh, it's a reference to Demon's Souls. A video game that you guys know about."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sven posted:

After trying my hand at DS1 on ps3 and being somewhat underwhelmed by it, i think i'm actually starting to get this series now. Dying is it's own reward. Losing souls is fun. I can finally make it to the bosses in Heides Tower without getting my rear end smashed into the ground by the very first enemy i come across.

Congratulations on your first post, friend.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

FauxGateau posted:

poo poo it would help if they could make you care tho. At least make me care a little rather than being some random rear end in a top hat. I mean you were a random rear end in a top hat in the other games too, but you slowly got sucked into the mythos and pathos of the world and became a apart of it. Whereas here I'm in a video game.

Seriously is there a reason we level up at a girl now other than "oh, it's a reference to Demon's Souls. A video game that you guys know about."

So that we can get fan art and also Shipping of said girl.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

TheQat posted:

Is there an item that makes you take no damage from backstab or did I run into a hacker or something?

If you are where I think you are, you can roll an explosive barrel down the stairs leading to it

Uh. I think all the barrels are gone or destroyed or exploded already....

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THE PWNER posted:

So that we can get fan art and also Shipping of said girl.

I think the game would've also been improved if the covenant cat had a split mouth like Alvina from the first game.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Someone please tell me the best tactic to getting hatemail in DS2. My friend on 360 is out-hatemailing me by like, a dozen. Apparently gesturing in front of people dying to rat poison and a mastodon isn't infuriating?!

TheQat posted:

Is there an item that makes you take no damage from backstab or did I run into a hacker or something

Gower's Ring of Protection. It breaks after like, 3-4 attacks from the back but that's the item. It looks like a ghost is hugging you from behind. Note this accounts for ANY damage from the back, not just backstabs.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Is there anyway to stop the smelter demon from setting his sword on fire and proceeding to do excessive damage through my shield?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FauxGateau posted:

I think the game would've also been improved if the covenant cat had a split mouth like Alvina from the first game.

I'm pretty sure shalquoir is alvina reborn

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Crusher posted:

Someone please tell me the best tactic to getting hatemail in DS2. My friend on 360 is out-hatemailing me by like, a dozen. Apparently gesturing in front of people dying to rat poison and a mastodon isn't infuriating?!

Hatemail isn't a thing on DS2 PC because you can't send messages or anything to people who aren't already your friends.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright fought a guy in the arena that literally took only 91 damage from my attacks. This is dumb.

Any other way to get red eye orbs or am I gonna have to give up on invading this game?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So my dual cestus all the time file just had the stupidest thing happen. I went after the silver serpent ring and key at the start of the Bastille and the first jailer decides to run clear through the building and come busting through the door just as I open the chest. And the dogs followed him.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Kanos posted:

Hatemail isn't a thing on DS2 PC because you can't send messages or anything to people who aren't already your friends.

This really stinks.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Kanos posted:

Extremely depressing. Thanks for the info though.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright fought a guy in the arena that literally took only 91 damage from my attacks. This is dumb.

Any other way to get red eye orbs or am I gonna have to give up on invading this game?

Here's all the ways/places to get them:

1x on a corpse in a cave in Things Betwixed
2x found in Lower Cardinal Tower by the Fire Salamanders
3x found in area near Solider's Rest Bonfire in the Cardinal Tower
1x Iron Keep. Go up the ladder past the Mimic Chest and drop down to the ledges below.
On a corpse above Bridge Approach bonfire in Huntsman's Copse
2x on a corpse on a ledge above the staircase that leads up from the Executioners Chariot boss to the Brotherhood of Blood bonfire. Carefully walk along the narrow ledge to reach the alcove at the far end above the staircase.
Drop from Fire Salamanders in the cave under Cardinal Tower bonfire
Drop from polearm wielding hunters in Huntsman's Copse
Drop from the three Piglets to the right of the Majula Manor
Can traded for w/ Smooth and Silky Stones given to Dyna and Tillo
Bought from Titchy Gren for 10,000 souls each (New Game+)
Reward for winning a duel in Undead Purgatory

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The greatsword is irresponsibly large. That is all.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
124,000 souls to have my sins forgiven and I didn't even kill anyone or just attack. Good thing I bought up that new set of nice looking armor and upgraded it just before hand. :suicide:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
My favorite part about the game is that you can't level up if you kill level up lady. And all that everyone does when they level up is goto a bonfire > teleport to majula > level up > teleport back. So functionally there was no reason for her to be the only way to level up, aside from forcing players to load twice and loving over people who kill her.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So what's the difference when I use a white soapstone vs a small white soapstone to get people to summon me?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Dual Wielding Mundane Avelyns is the shittiest thing and I love it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So what's the difference when I use a white soapstone vs a small white soapstone to get people to summon me?

Normal White soapstones walk like this

Small White soapstones walk like this

I think small ones are limited to a certain area and kills.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DarkAvenger211 posted:

White soapstone:
Permanently summoned until you die, host dies, or you beat a boss. Upon beating a boss, get sent back to your own world fully human, estus refilled, items repaired, and with a token of fidelity (Also a sunlight medal if you're part of the right covenant).

Small White Soapstone:
Summoned temporarily, on a timer (about 10 minutes or so?) or until the host earns a certain number of souls. Upon hitting the time limit or the soul limit, get sent back to your own world fully human, estus refilled, items repaired, and with a smooth and silky stone.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 28, 2014

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

I am currently invaded by 2 belltower spirits.

I am currently also hiding as a barrel.

It's been 7 minutes. I am laughing so hard

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hey quick question, will I gently caress myself over if I use the soul of the lost sinner for some fast cash? Do I need it physically in my inventory to move on or do I just need to kill the four bosses/light the four primal bonfires?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

RBA Starblade posted:

Hey quick question, will I gently caress myself over if I use the soul of the lost sinner for some fast cash? Do I need it physically in my inventory to move on or do I just need to kill the four bosses/light the four primal bonfires?

The soul is there so you can turn it into a weapon. You already embraced the great soul, you don't need to keep the boss soul around.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

havenwaters posted:

The soul is there so you can turn it into a weapon. You already embraced the great soul, you don't need to keep the boss soul around.

Excellent, thanks.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

DarkAvenger211 posted:

A normal soapstone will make you stay in the person who summoned you's world until you complete their current goal, ie, kill a boss, usually. You get sent back if you die or the host dies without any rewards.

Small soapstones make you stay in a person's world for only a few minutes, same rules for being sent back.

Completing either of them acts like resting at a bonfire (fill estus, repair weapons but not resetting enemies) and reverses hollowing.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I've been using the Drangleic armor set ever since I found it, and I have 1.7m SM now (SL128 with 285k free souls). When will I find a straight upgrade on this awesome armor set, in terms of stats for the weight?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Do any of you know what that shield icon with the red border means?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

THE PWNER posted:

My favorite part about the game is that you can't level up if you kill level up lady. And all that everyone does when they level up is goto a bonfire > teleport to majula > level up > teleport back. So functionally there was no reason for her to be the only way to level up, aside from forcing players to load twice and loving over people who kill her.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :colbert:

I can see what they were trying to do; this game cribs a lot of stuff from Demon's Souls, and it's pretty obvious the Emerald Herald was inspired by the Maiden in Black. She's just so less interesting though (and doesn't have that cool chant when leveling you up).

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

DSauer posted:

Do any of you know what that shield icon with the red border means?

I'm only assuming, but I think red bordered buffs are PC specific for toggles, like auto run. That is probably for the shield toggled up or down with one press of a button, instead of holding the button to keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Yep you're right, I must have hit it by mistake while faffing about.