Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pester
Apr 22, 2008

##Vote Byzantium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Pester posted:

##VOTE BYZANTIUM

Too late. Just like a Byzantine!

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Too late. Just like a Byzantine!

In the immortal words of Empress Euphrosyne: don't be a dick, Senator. The Empress and Heir haven't officially closed voting yet. They may still count despite the time, if they so wish it.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
##unvote rome

##vote Byzanrome

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
:siren: Voting closed at midnight! Results post being written.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Assuming that means votes up to Amistar's still count, we are looking at a 57-57-4 split.

...May god have mercy on us all.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

NewMars posted:

Assuming that means votes up to Amistar's still count, we are looking at a 57-57-4 split.

Hope this means we get to be byzantirome now

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Frankly, I'd be fine with that if it means that the most frenzied and energetic set of political action we've ever had, over the subject of a name, ends in a perfect tie that means we get to be called something really, really dumb for caring so much about it.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Hope this means we get to be byzantirome now

You misspelled "Romantine Empire" :colbert:

Or Romantium... which sounds like a Futurama plot macguffin, actually. For a Valentine themed episode.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Why don't we put it to a vote? :v:

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

NewMars posted:

And it's all. My. Fault.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
Well, your and Pester's vote did come after midnight. But only Rincewind knows whether or not that vote and your change will count.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

Skyfinder posted:

Well, your and Pester's vote did come after midnight. But only Rincewind knows whether or not that vote and your change will count.

It wasn't after MY midnight :colbert:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
But it was Rome's! Or should I say, now, Byzarometium's. See? See what you have done? :argh:

NewMars fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 28, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
ROME: 58

Funky Valentine
Skyfinder
Gnooble
Lord Cyrahzax
BwenGun
Sparq
AJ_Impy
StrifeHira
Raserys
ZearothK
Fox Ironic
Flesnolk
Dux Supremus
theblastizard
mcclay
ChaosSamusX
Ghetto Prince
WeaponGradeSadness
Disproportionation
TheLoquid
LJN92
Alikchi
Amnistar
Arbite
RZApublican
NewMars
Readingaccount
Semquais
sniper4625
Samuel
Ubern00b
GenHavoc
YF-23
Freudian
Horsebanger
Alexey
ThingOne
Jihad Joe
MacRomanGuy
derkaiser
Inkel
luserus
ThatBasqueGuy
FluffyBunny
Dr. Snark
Sokani
Pseudophile
fullTimeLurker
Emprah
Necroskowitz
Mister Olympus
Azzanadra
tatankatonk
shirunei
Lord Windy
HiHo ChiRho
silverpower
Gigagar

BYZANTIUM: 56

Blackunknown
Aeromancia
ChrisAsmadi
Sinner Sandwich
Ghostwoods
Patter Song
Pyroi
AdventFalls
TheFlyingLlama
TheMcD
OddObserver
GoatLord
Frozen_flame
Dr karma
Redeye Flight
Rubix Squid
Luhood
Sindai
DerLeo
Lost Season
Adept Nightingale
Dreamsicle
Mirdini
Rejected Fate
Caustic Soda
ManicMarine
cokerpilot
D3m3
Beerdeer
UrbicaMortis
sheep-dodger
Lynneth
Meinberg
Talas
Averrences
Five
Erwin the German
nothing to seehere
vyelkin
Zikan
Mortuus
Geshtal
Hitlers Gay Secret
WilliamAnderson
NGDBSS
Clayren
DentedLamp
MarsDragon
Josef bugman
LordGugs
Gamerofthegame
GrabbinPeels
Gygaxian
Anzrel
Badger of Basra
Soup du Jour

BYZANROME????:

Choccy Starfish
Frionnel
Krysmphoenix

: An extremely close vote! Truly, this is one of the most hotly contested questions in all the annals of the Senate!

: Certainly a lot of new faces around here.

: And yet what struck me most of all was not the divide between the two sides, but just how much common ground they had.

: For, whether we believe ourselves to be Byzantines or Romans, most of us seem in perfect concord about what it means to be a part of the empire—

Boos from Unitas senators.

: Most of us recognize that we are many peoples. Our empire's strength clearly, then, comes from the empire's diversity. We have survived as long as we have because of our adaptability to new ideas, new technologies, new belief systems, new cultures.

: The Senate itself exemplifies this spirit— it is a body where consensus is not imposed from above, but culled from a staggering variety of points of views.

: So, while we have narrowly voted to re-affirm our identity as the Roman Empire, I feel we should express our deep gratitude to the New Byzantines of past generations: It is to their credit that we have a Roman Empire today.

: And so, in recognition of our proud New Byzantine legacy— in honor of Iouliana the Great and all those who followed in her footsteps— the province within which Constantinople lies shall now once more be known as its ancient name of Byzantion.

: And furthermore, I shall honor the Senate by renaming it the Byzantine Senate.

: And, perhaps, in future generations, the word "byzantine" itself will come to be synonymous with openness, fairness, and equality for all.

: Now, to the matter of the vassals of the Roman Empire.

VOTING, ROUND TWO

OOC: Okay, let's get real for a second. I've picked these options pretty much entirely out of OOC considerations about what will make an interesting setup and be fun to play, and voting on them can be approached the same way. Think of it as being like those bits in other LPs where you vote about the state of the rest of the world, except it's about our own country. After each proposal, I'll post about what it might look like in EU4, although the exact details might change as I try to balance the mod.

A: The Ming Combo!

I've taken the liberty of combining these two ideas since they both involve taking a page from the Ming. ChrisAsmadi's part indicates how responsibility for our territory will be divied up, BwenGun's for what sort of institutions will have that responsibility)

ChrisAsmadi posted:

##Propose The Ming Solution whereby the core of the Empire (Greece, Tuscany, Anatolia & Bulgaria) is placed under the Emperor and the Senate's direct control, while the periphery is granted out to client realms (which may be existing structures, existing lords granted greater control over their neighbours or old entities reborn) who can more ably administer the outlying territories, specifically the Kingdoms of Sicily, the Grand Duchy of Croatia & Bosnia, the Republic of Belegorod and the Exarchate of Georgia & Crimea. Finally, the Valerian Order should be granted control of the Alexandrian provinces.

BwenGun posted:

##Propose: The creation of an Imperial Bureaucracy. - Whilst our contact with the Ming has been turbulent to say the least it has served to make an important lesson abundantly clear, trusting the administration of an Empire to men who have risen to title and position purely by the blood in their veins and not the thoughts and ability that reside in their minds is a critical error. Establishing an Imperial Bureaucracy staffed by only the best and the brightest, and with no ability for patronage or nepotism to hold sway, will increase efficiency of the state by a vast amount, thus allowing us to maintain greater control over our far flung possessions. To help ensure the honesty and efficiency of the new organisation I would propose that any who wish to join it must renounce all hereditary titles, and make the penalties for abusing or misusing their power death. Further we could also reinstate the position of Governor, but have it only open to members of the Bureaucracy as a non-hereditary post. In this manner we can assign the government of the various provinces of the Empire to men whose loyalty is to the Empire alone, without noble title themselves and thus with less inclination to attempt to grab more such things, and one would hope backed up by armies loyal not to them but to the Empire and Senate.

How it would look in EU4: The Roman Empire would continue to rule Greece, Tuscany, Anatolia, and Bulgaria directly. Imperial bureaucrats would rule the remaining territories of the empire as outlying provinces (EU4 vassal states, probably Republics) with the exception of the Kingdom of Sicily (vassal kingdom under its current ruling house) and Alexandria (ceded to the knights of the Valerian Order, so we can keep seeing that cool flag of theirs in EU4).

Because of our use of Ming administrative techniques, we will start with our ADM tech level slightly ahead of our colleagues in the Eastern/Western tech group, at whatever level the Ming and their major successors end up getting. this is actually impossible

B: The Roman Holy Roman Empire

Ghetto Prince posted:

I suggest we acknowledge the de facto situation and ##Propose a Dieta Imperii ; making every Duchy and Kingdom a member, clearly defining their obligations and rights within the Empire, and creating a formal system in which the Senate or Emperor can propose or reform laws. By giving up the fiction that we have any control over despots a thousand miles away from the Capital and acknowledging the Dukes as rulers of their own domains who owe service to the Empire we force power hungry Dukes to squabble among themselves instead of attacking the Emperor directly and ensure that no Imperial members will tolerate any one member becoming too powerful.

Basically, we turn Rome into an actual Holy Roman Empire, keeping the royal lands, and making the Duchies and Kingdoms into Imperial states, but with no electors.

How it would look in EU4: We become the Holy Roman Empire! Mechanically, anyway. In return for basically kneecapping ourselves we get to play a really super intense game of internal politics jockeying for position, trying to maintain imperial authority, and passing reforms, and trying to stop France from killing our vassals. It will be tons of fun-- maybe enough fun for me to go through and re-localize all the Holy Roman Empire stuff into "Roman Empire"??? Signs point to yes!!

C: Centralized Realms Act

YF-23 posted:

##Propose the Centralised Realms Act
For too long local power has been vested to autonomous lords rather than the Empire. This must end. At the same time we must recognise that there's a few territories of the Empire that cannot simply be brought in a unified centralised system that simply. For this reason I propose that we centralise all power within the realm that Imperial law may supercede all other local law with the following exceptions:
  • The Kingdom of the Pechenegs is to be abolished, but the current King is to retain his overlordship over his holdings and his personal autonomy. His realm is to be consolidated as the Despotate of Epirus.
  • For purposes of diplomatic balance, given its strength and tremendous influence in Roman politics, the Kingdom of Sicily is also to retain its autonomy.
  • The Exarchate of Kartli, being as far-flung a possession as it is, seems unlikely to be a territory where effective Imperial control can be established without overstretching our bureaucracy. It should be placed under the administration of the Ecumenical Patriarch and granted inviolable autonomy.
  • The Republic of Cibyrrhaeot, a vital imperial lifeline into the Levantine trade following the disastrous Branas coup is to be granted inviolable autonomy.

How it would look in EU4: Pretty much like YF said! The most powerful and/or independent-minded vassals of CK2 are placated with increased autonomy in return for not starting a civil war every three weeks, thank you very much. With the support of these power brokers, the remaining vassals can easily be brought into line and bring the rest of our territory under direct imperial control.

Note that in all these proposals, our vassals will all be various attractive shades of purple, so the empire will still stand out from its neighbors on the map.

:siren: ##Vote A, B, or C :siren:

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 28, 2014

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

##B: The Roman Holy Roman Empire

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

##Vote C

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
##Vote A

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
##Vote A, conditional on reintegrating all vassals as soon as possible.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
##Vote C

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
For A:

Is the Alexandrian order our vassal?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ugh, I feel insulted. The Byzantine Senate. However, while none of these options are really appealing to me, only ##Vote A will do. To unify, this Empire must centralize! One Constantinople standard must emerge!

And, I can hopefully see the disgusting and depraved "Kingdom" of Sicily dissolved within my lifetime, and finally see those lands given to the Senate.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

##Vote A

I assume that we will set up more satellite kingdoms as the world recognizes the infallible greatness of Rome

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012

AJ_Impy posted:

##Vote A, conditional on reintegrating all vassals as soon as possible.

This

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
##VOTE A

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

In all these options there's nothing stopping us from reintegrating these vassals except for Cibyrrhaeot (all one EU4 province of it) and Kartli in the third proposal.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
Well I'll keep my vote A, because really, there's no need to take up the failed model of the Holy Roman Empire and C just doesn't catch my fancy. A makes sense, as the Ming have shown to have a strong government and it just seems much more neat and tidy.

Semquais
Dec 5, 2013
##Vote A

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I ##Vote A because it seems to put us in the best position.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I should also clarify that the relative strength of our neighbors will be tuned around whichever option we pick (so, eg, if B wins France will be handicapped accordingly, etc.)

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

##C: Centralized Realms Act

Having to placate the largest vassals to achieve this kind of reform only makes sense to me, plus I want our republic and our exarchate to survive to V2 because c'mon that'd be totally rad+the two permanently held up diplomatic relations slots sound like a good enough handicap to me.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
##vote B

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Good to hear Rome won the vote for our title. In regards to out next vote, I will ##vote A since it seems to be the best solution.

----------

On a completely different note 'nother flag! With 75% less Lego figure head!

This time for good 'ol Somalia.

A tad simplistic, but should fit in well enough. The waves in the center represent its seafaring merchant traditions, with the star in the center hinting at its prestigious title. The intertwined rope knots on the sides represent the reunification of Somalia, lands being "tied" back together.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
Why are you so amazing! Stop being amazing! You're going to make the rest of us look like chumps!

Never stop being amazing

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

##Vote A

The Ming maintain an empire from the Pacific to the Atlantic, we would be fools not to follow their lead.

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013
##Vote B

Roman Holy Roman Empire of Rome sounds to good to pass up.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Going to ## Vote C. Autonomy will allow us to better rule the rest of the Empire.

Also

:allears: Can we play Somalia instead?

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

##vote B

Mostly because growing in power in EU4 is relatively easy and grows boring after a few rulers. The jockeying for the throne would be very neat and fun to do, and I don't think I've seen it before.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

StrifeHira posted:

Good to hear Rome won the vote for our title. In regards to out next vote, I will ##vote A since it seems to be the best solution.

----------

On a completely different note 'nother flag! With 75% less Lego figure head!

This time for good 'ol Somalia.

A tad simplistic, but should fit in well enough. The waves in the center represent its seafaring merchant traditions, with the star in the center hinting at its prestigious title. The intertwined rope knots on the sides represent the reunification of Somalia, lands being "tied" back together.

Hot drat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

##Vote A

This seems to be the option that is most likely to give the common man his due.

• Locked thread