Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Stonefish posted:

Saw it the other day. Some random spoilery thoughts from who's never really read a comic in his life:

What's up with Oscorp special projects? There's literally a row of cabinets full of prebuilt-superhero kits. One for Goblin, one for Ock, one for Rhino, and some wings that are apparently something called Vulture judging by this thread. That's one Origin Story that's going to get split between four guys right there, and it's not exactly an interesting one to begin with.
Speaking of origins, what was even up with Peter's father's video? He put his own DNA into the thing, so "it" won't work for anyone else? Did he mean the stuff couldn't be manufactured without him, or it wouldn't work on anyone else? Did the spider venom turn Harry into the goblin because it didn't work, or because it did but it conflicted with the other disease he had?

The special projects is Oscorps arms manufacturing. They've just been making up crazy suits to try and sell to other countries/terrorists/bad guys for profit. They mention it with why Peter's dad decides to bail. Why include octopus arms, a Rhino suit that shoots missiles and vulture wings? Because comics.

As for the Dad stuff. They weren't allowed to use human test subjects for their work, Pete's dad went ahead anyway and used his own DnA which is what made the serum work. It basically means only himself or Peter would get Spider powers or anything from the bite as his research was unfinished. Harry takes the serum and rather than get spider powers it accentuates the goblin disease he has because he doesn't have Parker DnA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

Do theaters allow passes on release dates?

My theater charges something like a $3.00 fee to use passes for the first few weeks, but they're always accepted.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Just come back from seeing this, and although it was an enjoyable film there's some things that just didn't really add up for me.

Why did we have to see the Parkers' flight at the start? It seems the only relevant part of that was the uploading of the video file to Roosevelt.

For that matter, the software on the computers in Roosevelt looked amazingly futuristic and modern considering that the machines there must have been a good 12-14 years old and everything was still running on CRT monitors.

Gwen comes to the power plant with Spidey because she "knows the tech specs of the grid and knows how to reset it" or some such bollocks like that, and then it turns out that resetting it is simply a case of using the incredibly obvious and clearly marked "MASTER RESET" switch?

How much time passed between Peter/Gwen breaking up and the rest of the movie? At one point she calls him, they meet up and she says it's time to be friends again, but there's no indication of the passage of time so as far as everyone else is concerned, they only broke up the day before.

Goblin seemed very shoehorned in, and Harry's change to psycho was a little too forced.

Gwen's eyelids were totally moving at the end when she was supposed to be dead, it kept me guessing the entire time as to whether she was actually alive or not.

Yeah, I know, I'm being nitpicky.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Stonefish posted:

The comic book science was a bit on the nose, with the Uranium that apparently detonates if you look at it funny

Minor point I suppose, but it was Plutonium, which actually does violently expand and spontaneously combust if you expose it to moist air. Not quite an explosion in the technical sense, but close enough for the movies.

I saw this on Wednesday and was disappointed, personally. There were funny bits, I still liked Garfield's Spider-Man and the humor, and I ended up liking Harry a lot more than I expected, but overall the film felt like it was a better film whose interesting bits had been cut out to fit a formulaic pre-Iron Man style safe and unadvenurous superhero film. It also felt like they were forcing in Gwen's death, meaning they had to force in Harry's turn to darkness, but these things meant they had to deal with the aftermath too, making the last part of the movie feel rushed while at the same time being too long already. I think the whole last part of the movie was unnecessary and they could have dealt with the Gwen/Green Goblin things better if they'd spent more time in the third film.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I think that the actual Spider-Man sequences are great, and are a lot better than those sequences from the first movie. It's just that most of the other things that are a problem. A lot of Peter and Gwen's relationship is defined by them just making eyes at eachother, which is criminal given how great the chemistry between those two are.

More than anything though, the latter half of the movie just turns into setup for Spider-Man 3. And instead of giving us some sort of interesting villian backstories, we're now just going to get "Hey you don't like Spider-Man either? Here have a super suit!". There's no real fun in that.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Waterhaul posted:

As for the Dad stuff. They weren't allowed to use human test subjects for their work, Pete's dad went ahead anyway and used his own DnA which is what made the serum work. It basically means only himself or Peter would get Spider powers or anything from the bite as his research was unfinished. Harry takes the serum and rather than get spider powers it accentuates the goblin disease he has because he doesn't have Parker DnA.

That sounds terrible. Why do writers have this constant urge to make Peter somehow predestined to be Spider-Man?

The origin of Spider-Man's powers isn't the drat point. He gets bitten by a radioactive/mutated spider in a quirk of fate and gains its abilities. Bam. That's it. Move on.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 26, 2014

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I thought this was far and away the best Spider Man movie to date. The action was good, the tone was perfect, the jokes were funny, Garfield is Spider Man in pretty much the same way Robert Downey is Iron Man. Tons of fun teases at the upcoming film universe without the clutter problems of Spiderman 3; I felt everything got just enough attention without feeling skimmed over or bogging things down.

Bring on the spinoffs and sequels! Fully onboard.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Total Meatlove posted:

Does anybody know the name of the track that plays over Peter moping about in his headphones when he first opens his dad's satchel?

Phillip Phillips - Gone, Gone, Gone.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
I wonder if Rise of Electro would have been better off without Electro in it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Benedick Cuckold posted:

That sounds terrible. Why do writers have this constant urge to make Peter somehow predestined to be Spider-Man?

The origin of Spider-Man's powers isn't the drat point. He gets bitten by a radioactive/mutated spider in a quirk of fate and gains its abilities. Bam. That's it. Move on.

Agreed. Turning Peter Parker into a destined "The One" is stupid and basically against the whole point of Spiderman. The Spiderman series is not about destiny or fate. It is about how normal people react to given extraordinary abilities.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

Agreed. Turning Peter Parker into a destined "The One" is stupid and basically against the whole point of Spiderman. The Spiderman series is not about destiny or fate. It is about how normal people react to given extraordinary abilities.

Yeah. And IMO anyone who likes this version has no business complaining about Peter's parents being secret agents in the comics. In that version, at least they aren't responsible for his becoming Spider-Man.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

I think they're trying to do Spider-man by way of Harry Potter.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
But this sort of retcon isn't common on modern takes of superheroes? I'm not big on Marvel but I doubt than Tony's father being involved with the supersoldier research was there when Iron Man was created.

I think is more an effort of the writers to give a logical explanation of the character in turn. Spiderman origin doesn't exactly hold up nowadays (mainly because people is more aware that radiation doesn't work like that).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah I don't like that view at all either. It's a lot more effective if he's just the 'anonymous nerd' who gets super-powers. But the current film version seems to have moved away from both aspects of the character.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Benedick Cuckold posted:

Yeah. And IMO anyone who likes this version has no business complaining about Peter's parents being secret agents in the comics. In that version, at least they aren't responsible for his becoming Spider-Man.

Yeah, but he was made into Spider-Man by a spider god and then he ate a vampires face, in the comics.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

But this sort of retcon isn't common on modern takes of superheroes? I'm not big on Marvel but I doubt than Tony's father being involved with the supersoldier research was there when Iron Man was created.

I think is more an effort of the writers to give a logical explanation of the character in turn. Spiderman origin doesn't exactly hold up nowadays (mainly because people is more aware that radiation doesn't work like that).

It's not really a similar situation. Howard Stark being involved in the super-soldier program is just a cool little connection. It didn't lead directly to Tony Stark becoming Iron Man--except inasmuch as it was caused by Tony inheriting both his father's business and engineering acumen, which is fine, because fate was never a big aspect of Tony's origin anyway.

With Spider-Man, it rubs a lot of people the wrong way, because a big aspect of his character was how he was just an average nerd who was given amazing powers through a pure twist of fate. Making it so that he only got those powers because he was "special" in some way dilutes the thematic power of the story, even if it doesn't change his actual character all that much.

(And I don't know what you mean by that last part. The spider hasn't been radioactive in either the Raimi or the Webb movies, and I don't think anyone cares that much either way. Not that it would even matter if it was radioactive in hte movies, because that's the least of Spider-Man's problems when it comes to the scientific plausibility of gaining superpowers from a spider bite.)

TheJoker138 posted:

Yeah, but he was made into Spider-Man by a spider god and then he ate a vampires face, in the comics.

Yeah, and a lot of people hated it and as such most subsequent writers rarely, if ever, bring it up.

edit: And I think the original story would have been fine, ending as it did on a note of "you can't prove it happened this way, but you also can't disprove it", so you could just draw your own conclusions and move on. But then JMS apparently just couldn't help himself and wrote "The Other".

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 27, 2014

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Mordiceius posted:

I didn't see a destiny theme in these movies. Peter's powers were an accident and being a superhero was his choice. I don't remember him finding a recording of Jor-El giving him a mission. Making his father the inventor of the radioactive spiders was a little weird, but not bad.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Baron Bifford posted:

I didn't see a destiny theme in these movies. Peter's powers were an accident and being a superhero was his choice. I don't remember him finding a recording of Jor-El giving him a mission. Making his father the inventor of the radioactive spiders was a little weird, but not bad.

I believe people are referring to the fact that in the recorded message in his hidden lair Peter's Dad said he had secretly used his own DNA as a key to the spider venom research or whatever, which seemed to be implying that was the reason why Peter didn't die from being bitten but instead got cool powers. And that's why the venom caused Harry problems and it was ultimately the right call for Peter not to give him his blood. But you're right it's not Jor-El-level destiny/fate. More just a happy coincidence.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Peter was never a normal person in the comics. He was a ridiculous genius.

At least the first Spiderman trilogy tuned that down to focus on his photography.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Yeah, in the comics he is all "Well poo poo, these spider powers are cool but I can't just leap from building-to-building", so he synthesized his own webbing and created the web-shooters himself. They've definitely downplayed that a lot in the movies, but in the comics he is literally a genius. He's also always poor as dirt, which is good because if he was Tony Stark rich he probably would've made an Iron-Spider suit for himself by his 16th birthday.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Slowpoke! posted:

Yeah, in the comics he is all "Well poo poo, these spider powers are cool but I can't just leap from building-to-building", so he synthesized his own webbing and created the web-shooters himself. They've definitely downplayed that a lot in the movies, but in the comics he is literally a genius. He's also always poor as dirt, which is good because if he was Tony Stark rich he probably would've made an Iron-Spider suit for himself by his 16th birthday.

They kind of brought that back with this second trilogy haven't they? Unless I'm majorly misremembering somethnig, doesn't Peter design/produce webshooters in Amazing Spiderman?

I liked that they gave him natural ones in the first trilogy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

This gets played up a lot these days but that kind of "oh I'll just invent some neat equipment to go along with my amazing abilities" stuff happens all the time, especially in the Silver Age of Spidey's creation and nobody blinked an eye. Barry Allen made a costume that could he could compress at superspeed and stuff into a ring (decades before the "Speed Force" magic handwave was a thing) and a treadmill time machine, Starman invented antigravity in the 1940s and the X-Men are as technologically advanced and outfitted as they are endowed with mutant powers. In comics being a capital-G Genius is largely an informed trait, not a consequence of your accomplishments.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Charlz Guybon posted:

They kind of brought that back with this second trilogy haven't they? Unless I'm majorly misremembering somethnig, doesn't Peter design/produce webshooters in Amazing Spiderman?

I liked that they gave him natural ones in the first trilogy.

He invents the shooters, but the webs themselves are at least partially based on an Oscorp product.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

TheJoker138 posted:

He invents the shooters, but the webs themselves are at least partially based on an Oscorp product.

And he needs Gwen help to improve the shooters.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Charlz Guybon posted:

At least the first Spiderman trilogy tuned that down to focus on his photography.
It makes more sense. Why is a kid who can invent synthetic spider-silk and web-shooters always broke and working for an abusive boss? Why doesn't he patent his invention and make millions? Peter is still just a teenage student in the movies and nobody gives a six-figure salary to a teenager, but in the comics, after he graduates from college, gets married and has a daughter he is still working humble day jobs.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 28, 2014

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I thought the blood thing was mostly just an easy excuse so Oscorp couldn't go "oh OK line up 50 soldiers to get bitten by each super spider until we get 50 spidermen, since it obviously is a result of our specific research"

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm sort of sad that this one doesn't have it's own thread, what's going on with that?

I really enjoyed it. There's something about the chemistry between Gwen and Peter that I really like, even if I preferred Toby Maguire as Spiderman.
It had some geniunely moving scenes as well - especially between Peter and May.

And I am pretty sure the guy we couldn't see the face of 9in the first and second films) was called "Mr Fierce". Is he a character in the comics? I have a lot of spiderman ones but they're all from when I was a kid in the 80s, so they're not current.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Electromax posted:

I thought the blood thing was mostly just an easy excuse so Oscorp couldn't go "oh OK line up 50 soldiers to get bitten by each super spider until we get 50 spidermen, since it obviously is a result of our specific research"
And it also explains why the spider venom had such catastrophic effects on Harry.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Taear posted:

And I am pretty sure the guy we couldn't see the face of 9in the first and second films) was called "Mr Fierce". Is he a character in the comics? I have a lot of spiderman ones but they're all from when I was a kid in the 80s, so they're not current.

It was Mr.Fiers, who, according to Wikipedia (I don't read the comics) is the one who puts the Sinister Six together. I didn't know whether to spoiler those facts since they are somewhat obvious from the trailers alone.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Charlz Guybon posted:

Peter was never a normal person in the comics. He was a ridiculous genius.

He wasn't portrayed as a ridiculous genius in the comics until recently. He was just a really smart guy.

In the Marvel Universe, inventing web-shooters and synthetic web-fluid doesn't make you on par with the Tony Starks and Reed Richardses of the world. It just makes you the guy who won first place at the science fair every year since middle school.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Wow, I was so surprised by this movie. I thought the first was the most mediocre movie ever, but this was good throughout. The improved score helped a ton as well.

I LIKED the changes from the comics - one of the biggest problems with the first movie was being too much of a retread, and everything felt "new" in this one.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Benedick Cuckold posted:

He wasn't portrayed as a ridiculous genius in the comics until recently. He was just a really smart guy.

In the Marvel Universe, inventing web-shooters and synthetic web-fluid doesn't make you on par with the Tony Starks and Reed Richardses of the world. It just makes you the guy who won first place at the science fair every year since middle school.
I wonder why Lee and Kirby chose not to give Peter natural web-shooters in the first place.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Baron Bifford posted:

I wonder why Lee and Kirby chose not to give Peter natural web-shooters in the first place.

Gives him a chance to be mr science. Really without those he hasn't done anything paticularly scientific, just been in the right place at the right time. Inventing the web shooters makes spiderman more than just a happy accident.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Important question, for those of you who've seen the sequel already: does it feature the best character in the Spider-Man universe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYYMl_sS72Y

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

Lee and Ditko. :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lee said, when the first movie had organics, that he thought that was brilliant and felt like a dumb rear end for not coming up with it himself, essentially.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Lee and Ditko. :colbert:

Who stole it all from Bill Finger.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I like how Garfield's Peter Parker has a stronger aggressive streak than Maguire's Parker. He wasn't afraid to confront bullies before he got his powers. It makes his decision to become a vigilante more natural.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
As a comic nerd, I liked it well enough. I think, like many other people, that the introduction and story of Harry was far too rushed. Also, why didn't Spidey just give him his blood? He did come up with a good point but he would have died had he not reached the suit. I also didn't like how they basically need no origin for Vulture or Doctor Ock, they're just going to get the Gentleman to contact them, and I'm pretty sure that Ock is smart enough that Harry shouldn't trust him to work for him. As well as Connors for that matter...

But I loved Electro and I loved some of the more cheesy scenes, it reminded me of the comic books although I felt it was toying with emotions a little bit in some of the scenes.

As for the sequels, I hope that Sony can get the rights to some of the other Ultimate Carnage heroes, though I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Taear posted:

Gives him a chance to be mr science. Really without those he hasn't done anything paticularly scientific, just been in the right place at the right time. Inventing the web shooters makes spiderman more than just a happy accident.

I'm all for giving Spider-Man opportunities to be "Mr. Science", but ffs, the comics currently claim he has an IQ even higher than what Einstein's probably was. That's like peak Mary Sue.

• Locked thread