Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

HorseRenoir posted:

It seems like most of those countries have chunks of neighboring countries they would like to annex.

Armenia wants Nagorno-Karabakh:

I prefer to waffle a bit on this; Armenia, at least officially, never stated wanting to annex NK, and the NKR at least pretends to want to be independent rather than part of Armenia. Now, maybe this is why Armenia refuses to recognize the NKR? That to even do that would lessen their own claim on the region?

Really, Nagorno-Karabakh is all sorts of screwed by international geopolitics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Modern Day Hercules posted:

Hatay maybe, but Golan Heights is actually an internationally recognized part of Syria. Israel straight up took it in a war of conquest and nobody else, not even the US, recognizes the validity of them owning that land.
What I dimly recall reading in old tomes of war-analyst lore from the 80s is that the Golan heights are great for shooting rockets into Israel, rather than being an optimal place to plant giant hives of Haredim living in prefabricated housing. You would think however that such concerns could be addressed with some kind of joint patrol.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Control of the Golan Heights also gives Israel more control over the valuable fresh water resources of the Jordan River and tributaries.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Koramei posted:

Are you guys sure that's a North Korean map? 대한민국 is the name for South Korea.

It's a South Korean map but both countries claim the same territory (not like the PRC/ROC different claims) so it doesn't really matter in this case.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Flagrant Abuse posted:

There's a certain amount of irony in Israel conquering land for lebensraum.

They seem to have a certain Drang nach Osten, too. The whole ordeal is basically the ever-growing ironicat.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Flagrant Abuse posted:

There's a certain amount of irony in Israel conquering land for lebensraum.

It doesn't end there. Israel also places people in concentration camps and forcibly sterilises Jews. Maybe they should just change the symbol on their flag.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Flagrant Abuse posted:

There's a certain amount of irony in Israel

And that certain amount is "a shitload".

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I was looking for maps of Roman Catholic concentrations in the US in GIS, and came upon this map from an ancestry.com page instead:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Vienna, well-known border town between the Czech Republic and Poland.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
They managed to put the "slavs" marker in the one place in Eastern Europe where slavs never ended up.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pretty sure the Byzantines never conquered any piece of Spain from the caliphate either.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Indeed. The portions of Spain reconquered by Rome were lost in the seventh century, a few decades before the Muslim Conquests got going.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Yes, the well known Baghdad Caliphate, as it was called by everyone. Contemporary with the Byzantine Empire, the Emirate of Cordoba, and the Holy Aachen Empire.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
I really wonder what goes through the heads of terrible map-drawers. Subtle trolling, or someone enthusiastic enough to make their own map, yet utterly incompetent at history, geography, or Google use.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Sucrose posted:

I really wonder what goes through the heads of terrible map-drawers. Subtle trolling, or someone enthusiastic enough to make their own map, yet utterly incompetent at history, geography, or Google use.

Never attribute to malice what you can attribute to internet users being hella dumb.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hah, and I just noticed that it says Charlesmagne.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Mimir posted:

Yes, the well known Baghdad Caliphate, as it was called by everyone. Contemporary with the Byzantine Empire, the Emirate of Cordoba, and the Holy Aachen Empire.

Califate :eng101:(:eng99:)

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Sucrose posted:

It could be some kind of alt-history thing, like in conjunction with a story someone's writing or an RPG they're running?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
http://www.geocurrents.info/place/europe/mega-nationalist-fantasy-maps-of-the-balkans

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

"Albanian Sea" oh my god

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

"Albanian Sea" oh my god

:stare:

Is that...supposed to be Serbia?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

My favorite map is the one where Greece has annexed almost all of Turkey yet North Cyprus still exists.

Also that article is missing the Turkish version of these maps:

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

VitalSigns posted:

:stare:

Is that...supposed to be Serbia?

Yes it is, which I find really goddamn funny considering Serb nationalists have a real bug up their rear end about Albanians, especially (ethnic) Albanians in Kosovo. It's kind of refreshing seeing a Balkan nationalist map that so overtly and completely pisses on Glorious Srbja.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Actually both are acceptable.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe

HorseRenoir posted:

My favorite map is the one where Greece has annexed almost all of Turkey yet North Cyprus still exists.

you call that Greater Turkey?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Emanuel Collective posted:

you call that Greater Turkey?

Didn't some young turks think that should be the goal after the first world war?

Speaking of the Balkans, here is a great way to piss off Turks abit and Greeks alot.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

Didn't some young turks think that should be the goal after the first world war?

Speaking of the Balkans, here is a great way to piss off Turks abit and Greeks alot.

Do Bulgarians(?) use "White Sea" for the Aegean Sea?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

PittTheElder posted:

Actually both are acceptable.

Welp, my face sure is red now.

Content: a map of the initial partition of the former Kingdom of Yugoslavia during WWII

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

OddObserver posted:

Do Bulgarians(?) use "White Sea" for the Aegean Sea?

Serbs, and Bulgarians do call it that.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Wow, say what you will but the Slovaks are shooting way farther than any of those other states.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

HorseRenoir posted:

Suleiman had been dead for more than a decade by 1580, and Cyprus had been conquered by then too! :argh:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Wow, say what you will but the Slovaks are shooting way farther than any of those other states.

That was created by a hungarian I believe.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Antarctica belongs to the penguins. They have a developed economy that allows them to afford fresh vegetables and running water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pD8aN9JAFM

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Antarctica belongs to the penguins. They have a developed economy that allows them to afford fresh vegetables and running water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pD8aN9JAFM

They've even developed their own dialect of Italian.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Armenia according to the Treaty of Sevres (1920)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

Armenia according to the Treaty of Sevres (1920)

I wonder what would have happened to the rest of the populations (which constituted the majority that wasn't Armenian.)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

If those borders were actually enforced I bet it would have ended up as part of Russia, possibly repartitioned into an Armenia slightly bigger than actually existed, and a rump Turkish province.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

If those borders were actually enforced I bet it would have ended up as part of Russia, possibly repartitioned into an Armenia slightly bigger than actually existed, and a rump Turkish province.

Russia was supporting the Turks in overturning Sèvres as a "gently caress You!" to the Entente powers who were still fighting in Russia to overthrow the Bolsheviks.

There's no way the Entente was going to let Russia have it had the Turkish Nationalists been defeated.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

Yes and Stalin was just great to minorities wasn't he? Also lets look at the treaty of Sevres in detail.

Just look at how many people are put under a foreign power, or forced to be with people who had a history of ethnically cleansing them. It was such a great treaty based on ensuring peace wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes and Stalin was just great to minorities wasn't he? Also lets look at the treaty of Sevres in detail.

Just look at how many people are put under a foreign power, or forced to be with people who had a history of ethnically cleansing them. It was such a great treaty based on ensuring peace wasn't it?

:confused:

I said nothing about the treaty being good? Although, as an Armenian myself, anecdotally I can tell you that Armenians are a whole lot more positive about Russia than they are the Turks, and from what I hear Armenia is about the most pro-Russian country in the former USSR. Stalin apparently was comparatively good to them and is almost as popular there as he is in Russia itself.