Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

bewilderment posted:

I'm told they're no longer so terrifying, because they don't hit multiple times. No more having your entire stamina bar ground through.

They'd be a lot better if people understood the whole kill one Lord at a time and then kill the adds gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I'm happy to see people rating my message after the Earthen Peak -> Iron Keep elevator that reads "Lift? but Think carefully!"

StashAugustine posted:

They'd be a lot better if people understood the whole kill one Lord at a time and then kill the adds gimmick.

I wouldn't know, because the moment I saw them appear my mind went into KILL MODE and I cheezed them with magic from as far away as possible. Bad memories.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB
Time for fun with Silver Talismans in Belfry Luna!

Of course it pays to be thorough, better check downstairs!

He broke every barrel and box but mine. Very considerate!

Eventually some help came to join the hunt. Nope, I'm not up there!

"Hmm, that barrel smells oddly of Old Spice."

We eventually became friends for a little bit!

But in the end, everyone died. The end!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

At what time do people normally open Huntsman's Copse? I'm at soul memory 500k and have been through the Bastille through both ends, and I just met the lady who opens the path. All of a sudden I'm being summoned as a shade by bunches of people still using the crummy starting DLC equipment all over again.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

At what time do people normally open Huntsman's Copse? I'm at soul memory 500k and have been through the Bastille through both ends, and I just met the lady who opens the path. All of a sudden I'm being summoned as a shade by bunches of people still using the crummy starting DLC equipment all over again.

I usually go Forest -> Heide's -> Copse because that path has tons of nice things (two branches of yore in Harvest valley, the dull ember in Iron keep, among other things).

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Robot Randy posted:

Covenant of Champions stuff

Thanks for this, I was about to ask if this might be the best way to get awestones.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Cowcaster posted:

Its the first area i do generally after the forest and dragon rider!

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay, how the gently caress do I land the jump in Earthen Peak? I've tried it from multiple angles and different timings but no matter what I end up taking a poison bath. I can land on the platform but then the roll from the jump animation sends me careening off.

Try attacking in the air to plunge, no roll.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Robot Randy posted:

click, and then hit w. The timing is really weird.

Thanks. :)

Also: I made a character named A real jerk and killed the lady with the pimp hat and the mask for her clothes, the white soapstone guy (after getting the stone) but than I found out that if you kill the weirdo blacksmith you can't get elemental weapons so I started over :S

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Gonna stream my blind run for a bit. Never sure if I'm doing this streaming stuff right but what the hell. I gave in and bought this so may as well have fun with it :toot:

http://www.twitch.tv/weszor

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

The new Soul Memory system really tosses all "recommended level" talk out the window. Anyone can go anywhere, the game is balanced as such. But personally, I do it right after the Bastille. Maybe even first, if I get bored of the Bastille or don't feel strong enough to beat the Lost Sinner.

Motherfucker posted:

Also: I made a character named A real jerk and killed the lady with the pimp hat and the mask for her clothes, the white soapstone guy (after getting the stone) but than I found out that if you kill the weirdo blacksmith you can't get elemental weapons so I started over :S

You may think it's hilarious to kill NPCs, but a lot of them have "storylines" that last throughout the whole game. So it's basically never a good idea. Save your massacres for the pre-NG+ purge!

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Another question: With my strength character my weapons were pretty sturdy, but with my dex character my spear seems to be made of tissue paper and the dreams of orphans held together with spit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

I usually go Forest -> Heide's -> Copse because that path has tons of nice things (two branches of yore in Harvest valley, the dull ember in Iron keep, among other things).

Harvest Valley is also the only source of titanite shards as far as I can tell. I've saved this area for last completely by accident and only just now am able to upgrade more of my gear. I don't get why they made the basic titanite rare outside of this one place.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Are there any wallpapers posted? I wanted to get a hi-res shot of Shrine of Amana (Crumbled Ruins, the view right when after you go through the first fog door).

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Genocyber posted:

This is my preferred path as well. Old Iron King is also very easy, so it's a good first step in killing the Old Ones. And between Chloanne, Ember and the boss, you unlock unlimited small and large shards while doing so. And after that I can hit the bells for easy chunks and an abundance of +9 gear.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 28, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

You know, I can't help but feel online in these games might be better if backstabs just didn't exist against other players. Nothing more annoying than dodging an attack only to be pulled back mid animation.

This is from a few pages back, but here's From's answer to this request:

You either wear the Jester's chest armor which makes you look really goofy, or a very heavy ring that puts a big bright ghost baby on your back (available in NG+), both of these negate bonus backstab damage.

The message is "Here babby now you don't have to worry about backstabs :smug:" and it sure would come across a lot better if the lag in the game weren't loving abominable.

EDIT:

quote:

Old Iron King is also very easy, so it's a good first step in killing the Old Ones. And this between Chloanne, Ember and the boss, you unlock unlimited small and large shards while doing so. And after that I can hit the bells for easy chunks and an abundance of +9 gear.

The four lords are pretty much the easiest bosses in the game, it's kind of weird. I just fought The Lost Sinner a little while ago, he's a gently caress-you to casters but as a melee character he's a loving joke. Couldn't hit me once.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 28, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So this is probably a stupid mental road to even look down, but I was thinking about keyboard and mouse controls for this game, and it occurred to me that two things would have to be the case for a kb+m control scheme to even approach the same league as a gamepad.

The first is that you'd probably need to make one of your mouse's thumb buttons a modifier key for whether your main mouse buttons perform light or heavy attacks. I don't know whether you can do that without auto hotkey in the game now, but it seems like anything else would just be goofy.

The next is that you'd need to make mouse look as fluid and fast as any shooter's mouse controls, with no acceleration or max rotational speed cap, and the game would need to continue allowing free mouse look even when your character is locked onto a target, and movement/strafing would always stay camera relative.

How close are the actual kb+m controls to this kind of control scheme?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Oh god the boss of Earthen Peak :barf:

He was easy as gently caress but good lord I had trouble fighting him just because of how revolting he is. At one point in the fight I got pinned between him and the fog door, completely unable to move. All I could see was a field of wrinkly pink flesh :gonk:

The Rotten is made out of corpses yet isn't as gross as that fucker.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

GreatGreen posted:

So this is probably a stupid mental road to even look down, but I was thinking about keyboard and mouse controls for this game, and it occurred to me that two things would have to be the case for a kb+m control scheme to even approach the same league as a gamepad.

The first is that you'd probably need to make one of your mouse's thumb buttons a modifier key for whether your main mouse buttons perform light or heavy attacks. I don't know whether you can do that without auto hotkey in the game now, but it seems like anything else would just be goofy.

The next is that you'd need to make mouse look as fluid and fast as any shooter's mouse controls, with no acceleration or max rotational speed cap, and the game would need to continue allowing free mouse look even when your character is locked onto a target, and movement/strafing would always stay camera relative.

It's the console version, except when you click, you attack :v:

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh god the boss of Earthen Peak :barf:

He was easy as gently caress but good lord I had trouble fighting him just because of how revolting he is. At one point in the fight I got pinned between him and the fog door, completely unable to move. All I could see was a field of wrinkly pink flesh :gonk:

The Rotten is made out of corpses yet isn't as gross as that fucker.

Be happy that you didn't get hit by his grab attack...

He eats you, then spits you out with all your armor and weapons unequipped

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HellCopter posted:

It's the console version, except when you click, you attack :v:

Yeah they basically made no effort with the controls. Just get a pad. I don't know how you can have a PC that'll run Dks2 and not have a USB gamepad of some sort.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
So I just beat the knock off medusa. I'm running a Int/faith hex build and I've sort of come to the realization that I absolutely need a weapon to capitalize on my stats instead of sticking with this rinky dink fire sword. When am I going to be able to get magic weapons; and do I have to upgrade the base to make it magic/dark whatever?

I'm having a hard time deciding what to wield in the first place, swords are getting dull.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

They're nothing like that. Default mouse controls are click once for weak attack, double-click for a strong attack, left mouse button for left hand, right mouse button for right hand. Clicking the mouse wheel locks on, mouse wheel up switches spell, mouse wheel down switches item.

But your theoretical control scheme just sounds like some twisted nightmare. Here's what I have:
Left-click: Weak right hand attack
Right-click: Strong right hand attack
Thumb button 1: Weak left hand attack (block with shield)
Thumb button 2: Strong left hand attack (parry with shield).

As far as precise aiming goes, the first-person aiming and camera controls in Dark Souls 2 are as responsive and sensitive as any pc-exclusive third-person game/FPS you could pick. No acceleration or speed cap at all, which can't be said for a lot of other pc ports. In fact, the default sensitivity is so high I had to crank it down a bit.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 28, 2014

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah they basically made no effort with the controls. Just get a pad. I don't know how you can have a PC that'll run Dks2 and not have a USB gamepad of some sort.

Seriously? It's not like there's many games requiring a good PC that also demand a controller.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

THE PWNER posted:

Seriously? It's not like there's many games requiring a good PC that also demand a controller.

nah but it is a bit strange to primarily do your gaming on a PC and not have a controller in this day and age. we're in an era where most PC games are console ports and a lot of them flat out control better with a gamepad

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^said it better than I did.

THE PWNER posted:

There are a lot of major titles that are way better with a controller, like pretty much any fighting game or racer ever (as well as any 2D game I can think of). lovely PC ports of good games aren't all that uncommon, either.

All the complaints about the PC controls get old. Just get a loving used 360 controller if for some weird reason you don't already have one sitting around.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 28, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

They're nothing like that. Default mouse controls are click once for weak attack, double-click for a strong attack, left mouse button for left hand, right mouse button for right hand. Clicking the mouse wheel locks on, mouse wheel up switches spell, mouse wheel down switches item.

But your theoretical control scheme just sounds like some twisted nightmare. Here's what I have:
Left-click: Weak right hand attack
Right-click: Strong right hand attack
Thumb button 1: Weak left hand attack (block with shield)
Thumb button 2: Strong left hand attack (parry with shield).

As far as precise aiming goes, the first-person aiming and camera controls in Dark Souls 2 are as responsive and sensitive as any pc-exclusive third-person game/FPS you could pick. No acceleration or speed cap at all, which can't be said for a lot of other pc ports. In fact, the default sensitivity is so high I had to crank it down a bit.

My only issue with th MKB controls once you fix the mouse-click problem is the inability to swap lock-on targets. I don't have thumb buttons so I use shift/ctrl for shields.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

THE PWNER posted:

Not to get sidetracked, but personally I think there's a shitload of games that just straight up play better with a controller, Assassins creed games, Batman games, a bunch of indie games like Stealth Bastard, Spelunky and Mark of the Ninja, for $30 it's definitely worth it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

THE PWNER posted:

Well I guess if you refuse to play all the other 'filthy console ports' on PC then maybe you're out of luck.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Cardboard Box posted:

nah but it is a bit strange to primarily do your gaming on a PC and not have a controller in this day and age

No, not really. When PC players are regularly posting autohotkey solutions to make basic moves doable, FROM messed up somewhere.

In other news, I was bellbro'ing and got invaded by a blue arbiter spirit (sentinel?)… when I have no sin status. That was weird.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

My only issue with th MKB controls once you fix the mouse-click problem is the inability to swap lock-on targets. I don't have thumb buttons so I use shift/ctrl for shields.

I put switch target on R, but can't figure out the logic it uses to pick the next target. When there's more than two enemies sometimes it'll just bobble between two of them and completely ignore the third.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Some people prefer to use mouse and keyboard over controllers. I play tons of games where a gamepad is recommended with a keyboard just because I like to play them this way. Dark Souls is perfectly playable with only a keyboard,its just that the default controls are horrendous.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also where can I go for poison-resist armor for the harvest valley of blight? Or a rusted iron ring equivalent if I need it/there is one.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Cardboard Box posted:

we're in an era where most PC games are console ports

[citation needed]

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

[citation needed]

You know what the dude means, stop dragging this on.

quote:

Also where can I go for poison-resist armor for the harvest valley of blight? Or a rusted iron ring equivalent if I need it/there is one.

Even with high poison resist, if you slip up in those areas you will get poisoned and it deals insane damage. Don't worry about it and just be careful, it's not worth grinding moss and poo poo for a very short area of the game.

There is no rusted ring equivalent, either.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 28, 2014

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Got sick of bashing my head up against the Persuruer, so I bought a human effigy, summoned 2 shades, he's down to about 3/4 health and one of the shades decides to try and ballista him.

It went straight through my chest :suicide:

loving :darksouls:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

StashAugustine posted:

Nowhere. There is a ring of poison resist but trust me, it barely helps. Just use healing crystals when the poison ticks over. You're not gonna keep yourself from getting poisoned in the first area no matter what.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Finally went down the Majula hole.

:stonk:

That's a lot of rats.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Is it worth making a cleric and going into faith/melee? Or just faith alone? Are miracles actually good this time? What about hexes?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Bobnumerotres posted:

You either wear the Jester's chest armor which makes you look really goofy, or a very heavy ring that puts a big bright ghost baby on your back (available in NG+), both of these negate bonus backstab damage.

I think the turtle shell looking armor makes you immune to backstabs as well, doesn't it? Ironclad and/or Old Ironclad, or at least, it looks like you should be immune to backstabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Is it worth making a cleric and going into faith/melee? Or just faith alone? Are miracles actually good this time? What about hexes?

Both miracles (lightning spear) and hexes are very good. My preferred style of playing is high STR/FTH.