Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Where can you get that armour anyways? I'd guess the Turtle dudes might drop it but I've seen a grand total of one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Fun fact: popping two or three lifegems actually completely negates poison damage.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I think the turtle shell looking armor makes you immune to backstabs as well, doesn't it? Ironclad and/or Old Ironclad, or at least, it looks like you should be immune to backstabs.

Yes it does. But that chest piece is crazy heavy and it keeps the theme of being goofy looking. From makes it pretty clear that backstabs in PvP are here to stay, even though lag makes them ridiculous.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Internet Kraken posted:

Where can you get that armour anyways? I'd guess the Turtle dudes might drop it but I've seen a grand total of one of them.

The turtle enemies, yes. There are several in the Forest. You might have missed a door that is opened with the Soldier's Key.

They also reappear as enemies in a later zone.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Speaking from the console thread, I've been backstabbed exactly once, and that was while running away. Is everyone backstab fishing on the PC? In general, they seem much less effective. I've yet to see a backstab do more than 700 damage.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Is it worth making a cleric and going into faith/melee? Or just faith alone? Are miracles actually good this time? What about hexes?

Hexes are absurdly powerful in this game, especially down the line when you get stuff like resonant hexes.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
There's a dude with the name "Inventory" invading people in the wharf who's infinite health/stam hacking.

He's awful but it's annoying as poo poo trying to sunbro people there right now.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Attestant posted:

The turtle enemies, yes. There are several in the Forest. You might have missed a door that is opened with the Soldier's Key.

They also reappear as enemies in a later zone.

The later versions of the Koopa Knights have just plain better armor, too. Same weight, way better stats. They are also easier to farm and you have access to some item-find boosting gear at that point. Unless you really like the rusted look, just wait until you get to the Iron Keep.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

There's a dude with the name "Inventory" invading people in the wharf who's infinite health/stam hacking.

He's awful but it's annoying as poo poo trying to sunbro people there right now.
Yeah I popped a red soapstone sign on the ground for shits and giggles but it turns out there's just a bunch of hackers. Really, of the half a dozen connected hits I did, not a single point of damage? Why people cheat I'll never know.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

watch a complete idiot play dark souls 2 blind with a mouse and keyboard: http://www.twitch.tv/tomsoverbaghdad

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

HellCopter posted:

Speaking from the console thread, I've been backstabbed exactly once, and that was while running away. Is everyone backstab fishing on the PC? In general, they seem much less effective. I've yet to see a backstab do more than 700 damage.

It might just be because I'm using Pate's Spear, which can leave you pretty exposed if someone rolls forward but to the side so the thrust misses. Still, half the time I get stabbed its after I've already started rolling away. I'm literally mid roll animation and suddenly my character gravitates back up towards the enemy so they can stab me. From what I've seen PvP heavily favors sorcery though, as the hit detection on that is completely broken but can be used from halway across the room!

I never had any trouble dodging magic in Dark Souls yet now I'll get hit by soul arrows that miss by a foot.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

What triggers being able to see all the different zones/bonfires at the Travel menu? It used to be all greyed out but now I can see the blocks for areas/bonfires I haven't triggered yet, though they're all marked '???'. It helped me find the third Earthen Peak bonfire too, which I didn't know existed.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Is there some specific condition for oneshotting dragonrider by making him lunge off the platform? Every time I jump across the gap to make him lunge in there he just stops as if there would be an invisible wall there. I know it can be done, but I'm wondering if its something that is more of an oversight than a feature?

I've only managed to drop him once but that was when he leaped after me into the pit so that wasn't very useful.

Also is there a dual wield specific attacks? I got that impression from a video I watched but no matter what buttons I press I just get a normal attack with one weapon. Like there is that dual wield mace spaz out attack that is broken as hell and I'm pretty sure that is a dual wield attack specifically.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

To whoever was saying the earthern peak -> iron keep translation made no sense, I totally agree. Thank you. That bothered the gently caress out of me. How is there a kingdom sunken in lava at the top of a mountain-high tower? That elevator after the boss should go down, not up. :psyduck:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
edit: ^ volcano, obv.

If you want to succeed in this game a Faith build can do little wrong. So much poo poo is weak to lightning and casters as a whole have a good time of it - just be prepared to get trounced in a PvP scenario. Not that they come up that much, nor are particularly deliberating. (You die. You die largely of your choosing and near a bonfire. I am not even sure if a PvP death dehallows you, I know the invader doesn't dehallow.) Not to say you'd be weak or anything, but I'm fragile mcdiefast and I love it when I get a enemy caster. With my build such as it is I can just roll through your spells without issue and wail your your defenseless, baby face with all these swords I got here.

Of course then I get three hit by anyone with a sword so whatever.

I don't understand all the complains about the PC controls, though. Yeah, the whole Xbox button prompts is really loving annoying, but on the flip side you pick them up pretty fast. I'm a little curious if Microsoft might have had anything to do with it but I doubt it. The controls themselves, though, are fine once you switch maybe three keys; Activate/use/chat to R, toggle to X and lock on to 2. (Not that I ever really use it because it's bad.) Everything works perfectly, controls nicely and the only hiccup I have is jumping, though to my understanding Dark Souls just is bad at being a platformer.

All my many downfalls in the game aren't from control issues, though, outside of maybe doing a attack and falling off a ledge but that's different. I'm actually curious, what are people having issues doing?

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Trying to co-op with other people at the second Earthen Peak boss is the most aggravating thing.

If I'm doing the No Way emote and pointing away from the boss door, maybe don't go in the boss door! Get rid of the loving poison first! :argh:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gamerofthegame posted:

edit: ^ volcano, obv.

If you want to succeed in this game a Faith build can do little wrong. So much poo poo is weak to lightning and casters as a whole have a good time of it - just be prepared to get trounced in a PvP scenario. Not that they come up that much, nor are particularly deliberating. (You die. You die largely of your choosing and near a bonfire. I am not even sure if a PvP death dehallows you, I know the invader doesn't dehallow.) Not to say you'd be weak or anything, but I'm fragile mcdiefast and I love it when I get a enemy caster. With my build such as it is I can just roll through your spells without issue and wail your your defenseless, baby face with all these swords I got here.

Of course then I get three hit by anyone with a sword so whatever.

I don't understand all the complains about the PC controls, though. Yeah, the whole Xbox button prompts is really loving annoying, but on the flip side you pick them up pretty fast. I'm a little curious if Microsoft might have had anything to do with it but I doubt it. The controls themselves, though, are fine once you switch maybe three keys; Activate/use/chat to R, toggle to X and lock on to 2. (Not that I ever really use it because it's bad.) Everything works perfectly, controls nicely and the only hiccup I have is jumping, though to my understanding Dark Souls just is bad at being a platformer.

All my many downfalls in the game aren't from control issues, though, outside of maybe doing a attack and falling off a ledge but that's different. I'm actually curious, what are people having issues doing?

Can you consistently do a guard break or jump attack with the default mouse controls?

Not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Gortarius posted:

Is there some specific condition for oneshotting dragonrider by making him lunge off the platform? Every time I jump across the gap to make him lunge in there he just stops as if there would be an invisible wall there. I know it can be done, but I'm wondering if its something that is more of an oversight than a feature?

I've only managed to drop him once but that was when he leaped after me into the pit so that wasn't very useful.

Also is there a dual wield specific attacks? I got that impression from a video I watched but no matter what buttons I press I just get a normal attack with one weapon. Like there is that dual wield mace spaz out attack that is broken as hell and I'm pretty sure that is a dual wield attack specifically.

1. Yes. Go through the door, wait for him to take exactly 6 steps, then run past him on his right. He will kill himself like an idiot. (This is with the arena being as small as possible, btw)

2. Yes. You need to have 1.5x the strength requirement for the heavier weapon, and both weapons need to be somewhat similar in type. Hold the two-hand button, and you will enter "power stance." Your left-handed attacks now use both weapons.

Bobnumerotres posted:

To whoever was saying the earthern peak -> iron keep translation made no sense, I totally agree. Thank you. That bothered the gently caress out of me. How is there a kingdom sunken in lava at the top of a mountain-high tower? That elevator after the boss should go down, not up. :psyduck:

Ahem. The flow of time is distorted in Lordran Drangleic.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

and lock on to 2. (Not that I ever really use it because it's bad.) Everything works perfectly, controls nicely

There's something seriously wrong with this sequence of words.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

HellCopter posted:

Ahem. The flow of time is distorted in Lordran Drangleic.

Also the geographical setup and the ability for areas to collapse in on themselves like building-sized klein bottles.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Trying to co-op with other people at the second Earthen Peak boss is the most aggravating thing.

If I'm doing the No Way emote and pointing away from the boss door, maybe don't go in the boss door! Get rid of the loving poison first! :argh:

I don't blame them because honestly how in the gently caress are you supposed to figure that out? You might get lucky and see some helpful player messages but even then I still don't understand how burning the windmill is tied to draining the poison. That was the first and last time I ever used a torch and I'm almost done with the game.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 28, 2014

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I would have never found that out on my own. I was lucky enough to see a player message too.

Seriously, the windmill beam looks like it's made of metal. Why would you set that on fire?

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
After beating the iron keep final boss I activated a bonfire down there but it doesn't show up in my travel list, is that normal? I was going to go back there and help out my sunbros.

Also I am guessing the map at the basement of the mansion where the map dude hangs out shows your progress? After I killed the iron keep boss another fire showed up there. What I don't get is there was already a fire there and the only orange boss soul I have is the iron keep boss's soul. Where did the first fire come from?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't blame them because honestly how in the gently caress are you supposed to figure that out? You might get lucky and see some helpful player messages but even then I still don't understand how burning the windmill is tied to draining the poison.

It even drains the poison next to the first bonfire at Harvest Valley. Makes no sense at all.

keyframe posted:

After beating the iron keep final boss I activated a bonfire down there but it doesn't show up in my travel list, is that normal? I was going to go back there and help out my sunbros.

Also I am guessing the map at the basement of the mansion where the map dude hangs out shows your progress? After I killed the iron keep boss another fire showed up there. What I don't get is there was already a fire there and the only orange boss soul I have is the iron keep boss's soul. Where did the first fire come from?

The "primal bonfires" after Great Soul bosses aren't real bonfires.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bobnumerotres posted:

I don't blame them because honestly how in the gently caress are you supposed to figure that out? You might get lucky and see some helpful player messages but even then I still don't understand how burning the windmill is tied to draining the poison.

The windmills...create the poison? I thought the reason that area was covered in windmills was a feeble attempt by the worker to clear out the toxic smog.

I actually like the design of Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak as a whole though. Its also not nearly as miserable to play through as I thought it would be. Gutters/Gulch was way more aggravating for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

keyframe posted:

Primal Bonfires can't be warped to, they're only used to warp out of the dead-end and back to Majula. Certain areas are one-way, so the primal bonfire is there to help you get back out. And also to be a plot-thing. Also, the first spot on the map is presumably Majula.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Anyone have a heide great lance they dont want/would be willing to trade for? I got hosed by the RNG three times now and I'm out of ascetics for the time being. I've got piles of slabs. unused boss souls, herbs out my rear end. Bag of cheese burgers, blowjobs, etc.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

That's the big problem I have with the puzzle, it's not really obvious or intuitive that you can even do that. The part of the windmill that you set fire to is made out of iron, and doesn't look flammable at all. Nor does the windmill itself look very flammable, it's just made out of wood. Maybe if there was some straw or something leading to the windmill, it might be more obvious.

But still if I'm running away from the boss door and pointing the opposite direction, maybe follow me!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Cyberventurer posted:

I would have never found that out on my own. I was lucky enough to see a player message too.

Seriously, the windmill beam looks like it's made of metal. Why would you set that on fire?

Yeah it's like 90's PC adventure games levels of horrible logic. You even meet some NPCs in the harvest/peak areas and From could've had them give you hints about it but nope!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Internet Kraken posted:

Some people prefer to use mouse and keyboard over controllers. I play tons of games where a gamepad is recommended with a keyboard just because I like to play them this way. Dark Souls is perfectly playable with only a keyboard,its just that the default controls are horrendous.

'Sup fellow boneheaded M&KB user! I have no 360 controller, and I see no reason to get one when, after banging my head against the game for 30 minutes on launch day, I can make the game play my tune. Still no idea how to parry and such, but then again I care not to use shields!

Internet Kraken posted:

The windmills...create the poison? I thought the reason that area was covered in windmills was a feeble attempt by the worker to clear out the toxic smog.

I actually like the design of Harvest Valley/Earthen Peak as a whole though. Its also not nearly as miserable to play through as I thought it would be. Gutters/Gulch was way more aggravating for me.

It's a poison mill! It's making the poison! Basically, think of it as a giant pharmaceuticals and cosmetics plant for the batshit crazy princess.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Alkydere posted:

It's a poison mill! It's making the poison! Basically, think of it as a giant pharmaceuticals and cosmetics plant for the batshit crazy princess.

Yeah there's an NPC that tells you the poison gives her life and poo poo, of course if you fight her in the poison pool her health is rapidly regenerating making the fight totally impossible. Could he have also told you that destroying the windmill would magically drain the poison because video games? Yep. Does he? Nope. Figure it out! (google it)

I'm sorry I'm not even going to spoiler tag this, it is horse poo poo. It should probably be in the OP.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Alright fought a guy in the arena that literally took only 91 damage from my attacks. This is dumb.

Any other way to get red eye orbs or am I gonna have to give up on invading this game?

Got an arena fight, eh? Lucky you, I couldn't get a single one.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I actually got a host to follow my pointing and walk away from the poison boss room earlier today and burn the windmill.

I had about 7 hosts just run right into the poison boss room and die about 5 seconds later. I think the best plan for sunbroing that area might be to place your sign at the 2nd bonfire so you can make sure the host already has burnt the windmill so you don't waste your time trying to kill the boss while the host is freaking out about being covered in poison. I did beat the boss once or twice without the poison being drained, just need everyone to start immediately wailing on her.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 28, 2014

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Bobnumerotres posted:

Its really the proximity of the lava castle to poison mill that bugs me, its like a drat 20 second stroll from the boss to the lava filled wasteland. It'd be more fitting if you had to spent 5-10 minutes traversing a map between the zones.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Drakes posted:

Its really the proximity of the lava castle to poison mill that bugs me, its like a drat 20 second stroll from the boss to the lava filled wasteland. It'd be more fitting if you had to spent 5-10 minutes traversing a map between the zones.

Or even just make the loving elevator go downwards. Or sideways. It's not a hard fix, From! Just think it through!

Sivek posted:

I actually got a host to follow my pointing and walk away from the poison boss room earlier today and burn the windmill.

I had about 7 hosts just run right into the poison boss room and die about 5 seconds later. I think the best plan for sunbroing that area might be to place your sign at the 2nd bonfire so you can make sure the host already has burnt the windmill so you don't waste your time trying to kill the boss while the host is freaking out about being covered in poison.

A good idea is to leave a summon sign in the area where poison usually is in front of the boss room. If there's poison there, they won't see it.

Numbnuts
May 20, 2012

I thought this was telling me the painting was hiding something. So I hit it.

And then it cursed me :v:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Numbnuts posted:

I thought this was telling me the painting was hiding something. So I hit it.

And then it cursed me :v:

That painting is a depiction of (endgame spoiler)Nashandra, the final boss. Guess what she uses a lot of during the fight?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
People should do what I did and beat that boss by chugging healing items nonstop to counteract the poison lake and swinging a +10 greatsword in her stupid face. Figured there had to be some way to drain the poison out but I never would have guessed you had to light part of the windmill on fire.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

The Crusher posted:

I wish, that's a sick name for that look. Nope, I'm just "The Crusher".

Hey you were the first person I invaded after joining the bell bros! Warping in and seeing a boxer with a curly moustache ready for some old fashioned queensbury action was better than anything I could have imagined :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Cowcaster posted:

Can you consistently do a guard break or jump attack with the default mouse controls?

Not being sarcastic, I'm genuinely curious.

I have to admit, no, though I also haven't tried to learn them, either. Nor have I seen anyone, keyboard or otherwise, use them so I suppose I'm not missing to much, but you got me there.

Bobnumerotres posted:

There's something seriously wrong with this sequence of words.

Well that's more just the feature and less the controls. :v: