Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

The Meat Dimension posted:

Have you been making sure the CoM and CoT are lined up vertically? I used that and SAS initially, with TAC fuel balancer and that multiple-engine-throttle-mod whose name I cannot remember for the life of me for longer flights.

... I think my next challenge is to make a Duna VTOL. Think "Last Days on Mars" without the terrible movie part of it.

This one: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/38069-0-23-5-Davon-Throttle-Control-systems-mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

TACD posted:

Yea, that's the first thing I tried. The button shows up but doesn't do anything, so I can't retract the legs. And I can't roll the ship so the ladder is accessible because the legs are out :v:

You're on Minmus, just use your RCS pack to push the ship around until you can get in, then use your magic reaction wheels to stand it up again.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Brovine posted:

I'm sure it will surprise nobody to learn that my tilt-quadrotor designs have been... unsuccessful so far.

Anyone ever done this successfully? I can fly forwards fine, I can reach about 200m/s, but I cannot successfully land. Or turn.

I have. It was a while back now. I seem to recall having DamnedRobotics installed too so 0.19?

It was a pig of a thing that needed harcore keyboard twister to keep it happy. It also needed to do a horizontal takeoff. Transitioning was fun.

Firespitter seems to have most of what's needed to wrangle something like a quadcopter now. A while back it had some weird avionic computer system which it doesn't have anymore, but it still has toggles like "hover" for engines etc.

Thanks for the inputs on my issues by the way people. Also serves me right for mashing sources together and trying to adapt things. However I did learn how to do quite a few things in the process so it's all good.

Ratzap, Steam friend invite sent. Think Wolf3D.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ratzap posted:

Nope but I'm the same name on steam (I assume you have a steam account), we can chat via that if you like. Or as Splode said, we can just do it here. Mono creates your new DLL as <project>\Temp\bin\Debug\Assembly-CSharp.dll by default. You can change that by going to Project-> Assembly-CSharp Options - for instance I tell it to create the DLL as Fusebox.dll, you can switch debug to prod here too.

A KSP DLL can be called anything that doesn't conflict with another DLL, there also seems to be some kind of tie in between the namespace and the DLL file name. If you use KSP.IO to load/save configs, it automatically creates a subdirectory called PluginData\<dllname> in the folder your DLL is sitting in. So it makes sense to keep it tidy and put your stuff in a folder underneath GameData but it's relative so you can put it several layers deeper too if you fancy.

Ah, that wiki page is very, very old and the example won't work. To output to KSPs log file you use Debug.Log("a string"); Looking at it again it's a PartModule override, meaning code associated with a part you create. That's different from a plugin, you can tell because there is no :MonoBehviour; and no KSPAddon stuff.

Just dragging this forward as a new quote. I was close apparently.

I changed Print() to Debug.Log() and everything worked. I'd already created a useless RCS block that I shoved into my own mod branch and referenced the tutorial module name.
code:
[LOG 08:31:03.200] editor started
[LOG 08:31:03.226] Untitled Space Craft - Untitled Space Craft
[LOG 08:31:05.858] [Crew Assignment]: Part Mk1-2 Command Pod holds 3 crew, but only 1 are available.
[LOG 08:31:05.862] [Applicants]: Enter Mersted Kerman. Will wait around for 2.1 days
[LOG 08:31:05.863] [Crew Assignment]: Shellock Kerman just became an intrepid astronaut.
[LOG 08:31:05.863] [Applicants]: Enter Thomory Kerman. Will wait around for 2.6 days
[LOG 08:31:05.863] [Crew Assignment]: Hudwise Kerman just became an intrepid astronaut.
[LOG 08:31:09.762] Hello KSP Log!
[LOG 08:31:12.215] Hello KSP Log!
[LOG 08:31:13.958] MyUselessPart(Clone) added to ship - part count: 2
[LOG 08:31:13.960] stage count is: 0
[LOG 08:31:13.960] MyUselessPart(Clone)(Clone) added to ship - part count: 3
Something tangibly worked so that's really what I wanted to see. My bigger ideas are proper mods, but fiddling with some parts seems like a good way to start.
What you said about using Assembly-Csharp.dll bothers me.
That's in "Debug" but so was "MyKSPProject.dll" which is what I had actually used and it worked. What's going on here?

Anyway now I've confirmed everything is sane I can try your skeleton. Going to try to do it today later on. If I get this all sorted it's all getting documented properly. Mostly for my sake.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
been really enjoying RPM and kerbalquake. Been learning to manually fly aircraft and land them. Needless to say, I've tried to land about 10 times now and only managed it once. I keep aborting the land / pulling the drag chutes too early.

Jeb flooring it:

Skimming the atmosphere:

Action shot of me trying to eye up a landing, needless to say, I mucked it up.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
^^^^^
That is freaking cool.
How much of all the extra avionics are you using?

devtalk: got the Ratzap version of the skeleton to compile and work. If anyone else tries it it's just missing a few bits where it was trimmed. Oh man I'm going to have fun.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Yeah that's the one. Sorry, I was phonepostin earlier :downs:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

General_Failure posted:

^^^^^
That is freaking cool.
How much of all the extra avionics are you using?

devtalk: got the Ratzap version of the skeleton to compile and work. If anyone else tries it it's just missing a few bits where it was trimmed. Oh man I'm going to have fun.

Just earlier I managed to rock a space plane to orbit and back to the launch center just using the orbit screen and HUD, though for the next flight I'm definitely going to be strapping a camera to the front gear angled down a bit for final approach. Being able to target a runway and having a glideslope indicator in RPM would make it even easier though. Still, IVA is completely doable so long as your run RPM, though I hope someone give the MK1 or another small cockpit the ALCOR treatment. I would love to mix some Flight Simulator in with my Orbiter.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 28, 2014

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Spaceman Future! posted:

Just earlier I managed to rock a space plane to orbit and back to the launch center just using the orbit screen and HUD, though for the next flight I'm definitely going to be strapping a camera to the front gear angled down a bit for final approach. Being able to target a runway and having a glideslope indicator in RPM would make it even easier though. Still, IVA is completely doable so long as your run RPM, though I hope someone give the MK1 or another small cockpit the ALCOR treatment. I would love to mix some Flight Simulator in with my Orbiter.

Landing a KSP spaceplane IVA must be a bitch. thinking about it I've never even tried.

What I think would be cool would be an IVA style control panel in KSC to fly unmanned missions by. Extra points if a Kerbal needs to be assigned for the mission and can walk away from the console.

...Ooh. Extending on that a portable remote control unit for unmanned vehicles. Shame it'd require the engine to keep two 2.5km zones active.

But I really would like a radar altimeter for unmanned craft.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

General_Failure posted:

Landing a KSP spaceplane IVA must be a bitch. thinking about it I've never even tried.

What I think would be cool would be an IVA style control panel in KSC to fly unmanned missions by. Extra points if a Kerbal needs to be assigned for the mission and can walk away from the console.

...Ooh. Extending on that a portable remote control unit for unmanned vehicles. Shame it'd require the engine to keep two 2.5km zones active.

Outcome: Catastrophic Failure!!

[0:00:00] Liftoff!
[0:38:52] Separation of stage 7 confirmed!
[0:42:10] Separation of stage 6 confirmed!
[3:27:41] Gendry Kerman from Control Center went on Bathroom Break.
[3:28:01] CaptureProbe collided with Potatoroid and was destroyed!
[3:30:21] Gendry Kerman returned from Bathroom Break.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

General_Failure posted:

This mod exists! Don't have a link handy right now but I'm sure you'll be able to find it without too much trouble, it's fairly recent as it came out of the IVA mania when RPM was released.

Edit: Troglyfe found it, see below

Splode fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 28, 2014

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
another tip I've got for planes if you are bad at landing them like me, Get Realchute and put drag chutes on the back of the plane. But don't deploy them until your wheels hit the ground.

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

General_Failure posted:

What I think would be cool would be an IVA style control panel in KSC to fly unmanned missions by.

ProbeControlRoom :)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Is there any way I can bullshit a new savegame to unlock tech progression? My save has nuked itself (won't load), and I was pretty far in. :(

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Falken posted:

Is there any way I can bullshit a new savegame to unlock tech progression? My save has nuked itself (won't load), and I was pretty far in. :(

Pretty sure you can just edit your persistence file and give yourself as much science as you want.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Pretty sure you can just edit your persistence file and give yourself as much science as you want.
Yeah, I'm about to try a simple copy-paste of my unlocks and science gatherings from one persistence file to another. Be nice if it still works!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The save file is just a text file, edit it with notepad and search for Science.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

That looks promising but I have to wonder if the control room exists physically coupled to the probe.

Geemer posted:

Outcome: Catastrophic Failure!!

[0:00:00] Liftoff!
[0:38:52] Separation of stage 7 confirmed!
[0:42:10] Separation of stage 6 confirmed!
[3:27:41] Gendry Kerman from Control Center went on Bathroom Break.
[3:28:01] CaptureProbe collided with Potatoroid and was destroyed!
[3:30:21] Gendry Kerman returned from Bathroom Break.

Nice.

Really besides the dual active areas I think KSP already supports it all. Pretty much all of it comes down to alternate means of accessing a ship, plus an IVA view.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Is there a mod that makes it so that you get all the science for doing an experiment in a given biome in one go, or is this something I can tweak in a config file somewhere myself?

I just find it pretty weird/dumb that I have to put 4 materials bays, 4 mystery goos and so on on my landers to max out, and also really hard to keep track of what experiments (and how many of each) I've done/stored.

e: Alternatively, something that automatically stores experiment data in the command pod instead of having to manually transfer it would be awesome.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 28, 2014

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jack the Lad posted:

e: Alternatively, something that automatically stores experiment data in the command pod instead of having to manually transfer it would be awesome.

Ship Manifest added Science Transfers in a few updates ago. Makes it much, much easier to store the experiments. (Here)

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Rynoto posted:

Ship Manifest added Science Transfers in a few updates ago. Makes it much, much easier to store the experiments. (Here)

Cool, thanks, I'll give that a look.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

This is an amazing screenshot.

Edit: Can you manually retract landing gear? Would be worth your while to retract the ones facing downhill and try to roll the thing over. Minmus has such a forgiving gravitational pull the jetpack would probably be enough to bump it into the air if given the chance.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 28, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yesterday - installed Better Atmospheres, which looks grand, although I gotta find out how to disable the fog on Minmus.

Also relearned how to build rockets under FAR. Apparently the last Minmus launcher I built in vanilla was stable enough to not give me any trouble, but last week I tried a. rebuilding my lander to be narrower, and b. testing some designs with the orange tank and Mainsail I unlocked, and I just kept spinning out a few thousand feet off the pad. Ensue googling about instability and whatnot, and now I understand a bit more about center of lift/center of pressure and why you want it to be behind your CoG if you want your poo poo to be stable on the way up. Get the initial turn right and the darn thing almost flies itself, no more desperate struggle to keep your flightpath on the prograde bubble. I also get why you'd want CoL to be behind your CoG for airplane design, and why having it parked out in front in my vanilla aircraft was not an insurmountable problem.

It's neat to watch CoL shift about in the VAB: Pull off the payload fairing to move poo poo around, CoL jumps up practically into your cockpit. Stick the fairing back on, it drops back down. Throw some space age fins on the bottom, CoL lives there now.

I think next I'll try yanking off the little 1.5m liquid booster stages I have asparagused into the mainsail, considering I'm getting to orbit with ~1400 unused dV. Maybe I'll send Jeb out of Kerbin's SOI and gather solar science, while I hop Richbro around on Minmus and loot some more there. (How could I not recruit Richbro Kerman.)

On the neat side, my lander with Mun/Minmus insertion burn stage looks like a loving spaceship. Wish I had a screenshot handy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

FAR encourages really neat rocket designs and with some intelligent construction you can get some immense dV out of it.

It also encourages you to pack everything into teeny tiny fairings which is an entertaining challenge, I really hope squad implements their own robotics system and something like FAR in the future, it's easily one of the most fun parts of rocket building once you figure out how to make stable rockets.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Dramicus posted:

You're on Minmus, just use your RCS pack to push the ship around until you can get in, then use your magic reaction wheels to stand it up again.

The problem is he is outside the pod, and can not board it because the hatch is in contact with the ground, so he can not activate the RCS (unless he has patched a MechJeb AS module onto the lander).

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you don't want to hack data files, you could always send a spare probe core up to Minmus and use KAS to glue it into the ship :jeb:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Amberskin posted:

The problem is he is outside the pod, and can not board it because the hatch is in contact with the ground, so he can not activate the RCS (unless he has patched a MechJeb AS module onto the lander).

Activate the RCS pack of the Kerbal and bump into the rocket until it rolls over like a good doggy.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

TACD posted:

It's good that he looks happy, because the lander fell directly onto the side with the ladder. I can't get back in to even try to ramp off the hill into orbit (not that that's gone well when I've tried it before). Welcome to your new home, you dopey green bastard.
I trust you are designing a rover purposed to push it to a more agreeable position.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

General_Failure posted:

Excellent. I tried not to chop too much out but conversely needed to remove enough to just show the structure and flow rather than compile cleanly without too much detail in the way. Dred was making some parts and may have a PartModule example handy.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Elukka posted:

I trust you are designing a rover purposed to push it to a more agreeable position.

I'm envisioning a rover with an asteroid claw hoisting up the rocket and putting it back on it's legs :3:

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Amberskin posted:

I have a feeling this means you don't know about EVA RCS, which means you are about to do something really cool. With your EVA Kerbal hit R, then hit shift and watch your James Bond jetpack go to work. Combine this with distance and forward thrust and you should be able to hit the lander with enough momentum to get it to flip over.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Elukka posted:

I haven't tried building rovers yet... I'm not even sure how to set up action groups properly, so I'm pretty sure I'd screw up making / releasing a whole separate vehicle. Would love to try it though!

What I do know how to do is take the rocket that got me to Minmus before, glue a chair on it, and launch a rescue mission. I actually managed to land only 2.5km away from the original landing site, at which point I realised this Kerbal was stuck in the pod because I'd glued the chair to the hatch :downs: (Probably for the best, considering what happened last time.) I switched to the stranded Kerbal, used his jetpack to get to the rescue rocket, and of course knocked it over as I climbed into the chair.

But it didn't loving matter this time. I rode that rocket all the way home.

:jeb::respek::jeb:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

I haven't tried building rovers yet... I'm not even sure how to set up action groups properly, so I'm pretty sure I'd screw up making / releasing a whole separate vehicle. Would love to try it though!

Rovers aren't that complicated unless you care about picking them back up again and bringing them home. Make them short and wide, put on wheels instead of landing legs, and rebind the controls away from the ship rotation keys so it doesn't try to torque itself while you're driving.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

haveblue posted:

Rovers aren't that complicated unless you care about picking them back up again and bringing them home. Make them short and wide, put on wheels instead of landing legs, and rebind the controls away from the ship rotation keys so it doesn't try to torque itself while you're driving.

Rovers?

Where we're going we don't need.... rovers

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Ratzap posted:

Excellent. I tried not to chop too much out but conversely needed to remove enough to just show the structure and flow rather than compile cleanly without too much detail in the way. Dred was making some parts and may have a PartModule example handy.

That would be useful.

babby's first "what this do?"

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

General_Failure posted:

That would be useful.

That's a very :jeb: launchpad.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geemer posted:

That's a very :jeb: launchpad.

It's something alright!

I remembered that some of the things I have installed in my normal KSP have source so I'm looking at it now to see how it all works.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

General_Failure posted:

That would be useful.

you are about 1 minute of work away from making a badass loop of fire for Jeb to jump rovers through.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TACD posted:

But it didn't loving matter this time. I rode that rocket all the way home.

:jeb::respek::jeb:

Shepzor "Major T.J. "King" Kong" Kerman, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

General_Failure posted:

That would be useful.

Kerbin's first pizza oven

• Locked thread