Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
That collapsing floor isn't really supposed to kill you. It's supposed to bring you to the platform with the bonfire on it. If you hit it offcenter (or don't have enough HP), though, you plummet to your death. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

HellCopter posted:

That collapsing floor isn't really supposed to kill you. It's supposed to bring you to the platform with the bonfire on it. If you hit it offcenter (or don't have enough HP), though, you plummet to your death. Oops.

Yeah. I saw the bonfire below and went "oh, cool" and then tried to walk near above it to drop down and just fell into an endless pit. If I had fallen anywhere near the actual bonfire I would've been fine because I was at full health and had the cat ring on.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

HellCopter posted:

Most goons appear to have decided on Nahr Amir of Blood, which is kind of a bad idea because you know everyone's gonna pick that (because it's kool).

Amir means prince in Arabic, so if we're assuming it's in Arabic Nahr means River, so he's river of blood, which is metal as gently caress.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Tuxedo Ted posted:

So whats the situation with hackers? Ran into my first one today, infinite HP black phantom interrupting funtimes at the Belltower. Can I expect steam to crack down somehow, or is this GFWL all over again? Edit: I reported him, for what its worth. Just wondering if the steam report is the right channel.

It's probably just as wide open as it was in Dark Souls, from my cursory glance.

There's no VAC or anti-cheat of any kind implemented; all they've done was implement a bad server-side check for a VAC ban on your account for any game, and then denying the connection if they see one. Which risks pissing Valve off, as they never intended a VAC ban on one engine to haunt you in another.

Finally, reporting on Steam does nothing. That goes to Valve, who are not involved with bans on this game.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Apr 28, 2014

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Amir means prince in Arabic, so if we're assuming it's in Arabic Nahr means River, so he's river of blood, which is metal as gently caress.

Of course. You want more than just a little blood. You want to be drenched in it, mired in its foul stench. Am I right?

(While I'm at it, Titchy Gren does not sound like what I'd imagine a bloodbro leader to sound like. He sounds like a guy you'd meet at the pub.)

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I was just on my way to the Belfry Luna boss. Got invaded by a Bellbro and a few seconds later by a red phantom. The whole thing turned into a three-way.

Only I walked away. :clint:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Nahr Amir would be awesome for the reason stated, but the name's actually Nahr Alma. :v:

HellCopter posted:

Of course. You want more than just a little blood. You want to be drenched in it, mired in its foul stench. Am I right?

(While I'm at it, Titchy Gren does not sound like what I'd imagine a bloodbro leader to sound like. He sounds like a guy you'd meet at the pub.)

Titchy Gren is hilarious. He's just the weenie little dude who is your one-stop source for your homicidal maniac needs.

They missed out on a golden opportunity, though, by not switching things up in Undead Purgatory on new game+: Titchy Gren drives the chariot, and the Executioner handles the bloodbro covenant. And naturally talks just like Nathan Explosion.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mazed posted:

Nahr Amir would be awesome for the reason stated, but the name's actually Nahr Alma. :v:

Titchy Gren is hilarious. He's just the weenie little dude who is your one-stop source for your homicidal maniac needs.

They missed out on a golden opportunity, though, by not switching things up in Undead Purgatory on new game+: Titchy Gren drives the chariot, and the Executioner handles the bloodbro covenant. And naturally talks just like Nathan Explosion.

...River of Water. Boooooo

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Skeleton chariot is such a hilarious boss, once you know his gimmick it's not like he himself is very hard and you can even roll past his *bling wheels*, and sometimes the fun is white phantoming and trying to get the summoner to not notice hey come back use this thingy, or finding out that three people are trying to crowd into one space and oh god we all wont fit and then splkat everyone dead.

I've basically used it as an excuse to find out how well I can time my rolling i-frames on him, screw hiding.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Uuungh they updated the game with a patch that fixed the HDMI/crash on startup issue. Finally playing it on the big screen in 1080P compared to 1600x900 on my monitor for the last few days, and it's amazing. :magical:

Finally.... I managed to 'glitch' my game into running at 1080p and just haven't exited from the menu for 3 days for fear of not being able to start it up again, since it took like 4 hours to accidentally do it in the first place.

Started my NG+, got a little bit in and decided to watch a couple LPs to see if I was missing anything. Apparently you're not meant to defeat the floating metal dude when he drops from the eagle, it's actually a boss for later in the game. The health bar above his head made me think it was just a tough mob and I dropped him on NG and NG+ first time :haw:

Hope I didn't miss an actual proper boss fight though, the only LPs I saw were co-op with dudes ballista-ing him in the face, looked crazy easy.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

So today I found myself in a dark forest... for some reason. Full of fat assholes with moon shaped sword... for some reason. And had to fight spooky skeleton boss no.1 and spooky skeleton boss no.2 who are there for... no reason.

Jesus this is depressing.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

nftyw posted:

Skeleton chariot is such a hilarious boss, once you know his gimmick it's not like he himself is very hard and you can even roll past his *bling wheels*, and sometimes the fun is white phantoming and trying to get the summoner to not notice hey come back use this thingy, or finding out that three people are trying to crowd into one space and oh god we all wont fit and then splkat everyone dead.

I've basically used it as an excuse to find out how well I can time my rolling i-frames on him, screw hiding.

You are doing it the right way. That boss becomes way more fun when you're not cowering in some hole all the time.

I think I'll spend a while dropping my sign for him when I'm in that area. For Skeleton Lords too, mainly because that one also is just fun. That Nightmare Before Christmas-sounding music also helps.

Huntsman's Copse has just such a concentration of sheerly entertaining bosses.

Sex Robot posted:

So today I found myself in a dark forest... for some reason. Full of fat assholes with moon shaped sword... for some reason. And had to fight spooky skeleton boss no.1 and spooky skeleton boss no.2 who are there for... no reason.

Whatsa matter, too spooky for you?

Mazed fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 28, 2014

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
The Royal Rat Authority is going to die of old age before I can slay its fetid anus without going toxic from those little poo poo hounds. :f5:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Sex Robot posted:

Jesus this is depressing.

That's not even the worst forest in the game :allears:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Mazed posted:

Whatsa matter, too spooky for you?

Of course. I mean, c'mon. Three skeletons? My heart can't take this kind of spooking.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
There is one thing that is making me mad in DS2.

The god drat delay between your swing connecting and regaining control of your character. It's like you hit and Our Hero goes "Aww yeahh that was sweet hold that pose" and get loving flattened by the counterattack.

ARGH

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

HellCopter posted:

Of course. I mean, c'mon. Three skeletons? My heart can't take this kind of spooking.

Not just three skeletons! Three skeletons and all their whole skelly posse! You might even call it a...skeleton crew. :yohoho:

True story, I about doubled over laughing when the third phase of that fight started and the bonewheels rolled out.

e. v v v

I think it depends on what weapon you're using. Illegal Username, what weapons are you using?

Because I know for sure that certain weapons actually let you follow through faster with certain attacks if you actually connect. Rapiers and halberds come to mind.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 28, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Illegal Username posted:

There is one thing that is making me mad in DS2.

The god drat delay between your swing connecting and regaining control of your character. It's like you hit and Our Hero goes "Aww yeahh that was sweet hold that pose" and get loving flattened by the counterattack.

ARGH

Your adaptability stat effects this a bit btw. Unless that was proven wrong.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
When you're a sunbro, Titchy won't even talk to you. That's not a good business model my friend, even sunbros might want to do some blood bathing on the side. :colbert:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Mazed posted:

Not just three skeletons! Three skeletons and all their whole skelly posse! You might even call it a...skeleton crew. :yohoho:

True story, I about doubled over laughing when the third phase of that fight started and the bonewheels rolled out.

So did I! That is, before I starting running as fast as I could. Those things mean business.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Mazed posted:

Everything in Dark Souls was there for a justified reason. Every boss had a good reason for being there with foreshadowing an innate bindings to the world that you progressed through. Here stuff is where is it because

a) That's where is was is the last game hycuk!

b) Because that's where there was space.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Am I okay to trade any boss souls he wants to Straid or should I keep some of them for the other dude I've heard about? Basically, do the souls they want overlap in any way?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Mazed posted:

e. v v v

I think it depends on what weapon you're using. Illegal Username, what weapons are you using?

Because I know for sure that certain weapons actually let you follow through faster with certain attacks if you actually connect. Rapiers and halberds come to mind.

I got a bit worried when those guys popped up, I thought they might instakill me like they've done before, but they took so long getting up that they were dead before they got a shot off.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Is any weapon cool for upgrades? I've reverted back to the broadsword for now just to balance some weight with a greatshield and heavy armour.

I hate that royal rat.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Am I okay to trade any boss souls he wants to Straid or should I keep some of them for the other dude I've heard about? Basically, do the souls they want overlap in any way?

I think so. Hold on to them.

The boss weapons seem a bit underwhelming anyway.

RasputinVarez
Nov 12, 2012
I irrationally support inferior conflict CPU's and refute any benchmarks presented to me because of "reasons".

If I'm giving PC advice, you should probably just ignore me.

Sex Robot posted:

OH. OH GOD IT'S HAPPENING. IT'S HAPPENING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulr20xC8NT0

that's nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeq0BzAWn3U

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Sex Robot posted:

Everything in Dark Souls was there for a justified reason. Every boss had a good reason for being there with foreshadowing an innate bindings to the world that you progressed through. Here stuff is where is it because

Is it just me or is the area right behind the Belfry Luna bonfire basically "Capra Demon fight v1.2"? It has dogs, stairs you can jump down and a dude with slow attacks.

At least I pretty much handled that fight like the Capra Demon. Works well.

What I'm saying is that a lot of specific fights feel like "Hey remember THAT part in Dark Souls 1? Wasn't that cool???"

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Nope, they don't. Straid offers trades for some bosses while the other has the rest. Though what they are seems kind of random (drat game's making me wait until I get my Dragonslayer Spear back. :argh:)

Sex Robot posted:

There's some stuff about how Huntsman's Copse was specifically where a major undead hunt went down under Vendrick's orders, but things spiraled out of control when the leaders of the hunts went hollow and apparently turned into the cartoony D&D villains that are the Skeleton Lords (and also a psychotic two-headed zombie horse).

The areas beyond there are even more scattershot in terms of story/world consistency. If Fromsoft has always gone about designing places first then coming up with justifications for their hows-and-whys later, Miyazaki was way better at it than the DkS2 director guy. :v:

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Is it just me or is the area right behind the Belfry Luna bonfire basically "Capra Demon fight v1.2"? It has dogs, stairs you can jump down and a dude with slow attacks.

Weird, I was thinking the same thing when I was there just earlier.

Though the fight that feels most like the Capra Demon (not in layout, which is about the opposite, but in source of frustration) is Royal Rat Authority.

edits: spoilers

Mazed fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 28, 2014

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Has anyone tried out an archery character? Could be a nice alternative to my clubber, and it's not something I've seen in jolly coop. And just think of all the gimmicky names to go with it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ymgve posted:

Any tips for the three sentinels in the Lost Bastille? I've died so many times to them now that all the minions between the bonfire and the fog door has gone extinct (Which was a relief, gently caress when you mispulled and got five guys swarming you at once). I can easily deal with the first on the ledge, but when the two remaining ones attack me at once I end up pretty dead.

What kinda build you doing? Electricity is REALLY good against them. If you use magic get lightning spear, if melee than get a good strong electricity infused weapon. When I played PS3 I spent like 8 hours fighting them, until I realized my ADP was low and when I raised it I could actually start dodging them. I killed the first guy, from the platform I pelted 2nd guy until he jumped up. Hit a few times but makes sure you get off before the 3rd guy shows up. From the ground floor you make sure to block spin attacks, try to trigger all other attacks at the same time so you can get a hit in without fear of a followup.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

The Royal Rat Authority is going to die of old age before I can slay its fetid anus without going toxic from those little poo poo hounds. :f5:

If you have pyro try lingering flame to trap them. Otherwise shoot 2 with arrows and try to dispatch the other two creatively and quickly.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

It's trivial to use cheat engine to get pretty much whatever you want.

Honestly I don't want inf stats, health or any of that stuff. I just want someone to find the drop rate and increase it like five times. I have to have all the item sets, and red phantoms having a chance to drop their loot is infuriating.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

HellCopter posted:

Please, PC thread, continue killing vital NPCs for no reason. It's great.

Diaries of a blindrun:

I was in dire need of large titanite shards so I could start using my chunks back when I had to beat 4 bosses with a +1 black knight halberd because everything else was falling behind in damage. I was just hoping that by progressing I would find, if not his ember, at least some other blacksmith selling stuff. But now I have a +10 weapon so what more could I possibly need to beat every remaining boss in the game? Maybe he is a valuable blacksmith, but I spent too much time searching and re-searching areas for his ember and now that I have a +10 weapon without use of him I felt great a satisfaction in putting the guy out of his ember-forsaken misery.

My stats are a mess, everything I've done is probably wrong and out of order I'm sure. In DS1 I let Laurtrec kill the firelink shrine keeper, retrieved her soul, and used it to reinforce my estus because that's just what you do with firekeeper souls! Every DS2 boss after the three sentintels has been a cakewalk anyways, even when I was rolling with inadequate weapons. The only bosses I've had difficulty with since sentinels are chariot and freya. Both were immensely challenging up until I figured out their gimmick at which point they became trivial.

I sure hope there is another O&S coming my way because I'm beating most of these later bosses on my 1st attempt. The only thing frustating me are the loving locked doors, they are the ironically inanimate cliff racers of Dark Souls 2.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mazed posted:

Nope, they don't. Straid offers trades for some bosses while the other has the rest. Though what they are seems kind of random (drat game's making me wait until I get my Dragonslayer Spear back. :argh:)

Awesome, thanks. Now to figure out what I should trade them for.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
First PC patch, VAC still broken. I'm starting to lose hope. :smith:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

What's a good weapon to use into late NG's? So far Club+5 (haven't infused it yet) seems to be doing more damage than either the Drangleic Sword or Black Knight Greatsword. Maybe Claymore + 10?

The Hanged Man
Oct 30, 2010

Sex Robot posted:

Everything in Dark Souls was there for a justified reason.

Hmmmm yess sure.

now I'm in a dark forest... for some reason. There are grass things who spring at me from the ground and stone giants who can slow me down... for some reason. Also a giant butterfly boss waht is this poo poo

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Sanctum posted:

I sure hope there is another O&S coming my way because I'm beating most of these later bosses on my 1st attempt.

You did the same thing I did and skipped the first Old Soul and saved it for last. Similarly, you'll probably have a stupidly easy time of the last bosses in the game (but enjoy getting your rear end handed to you repeatedly by the last two optional bosses).

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Atoramos posted:

What's a good weapon to use into late NG's? So far Club+5 (haven't infused it yet) seems to be doing more damage than either the Drangleic Sword or Black Knight Greatsword. Maybe Claymore + 10?

Pure Strength?

Then yes, the club is pretty much your go-to weapon assuming you like the moveset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

If you have pyro try lingering flame to trap them. Otherwise shoot 2 with arrows and try to dispatch the other two creatively and quickly.

I've swapped out to lighter stuff and try to wipe the dogs with a greatsword swing.

This boss is such a loving cum stain, it can go gently caress itself. :darksouls: