Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

Has ANYONE ever had success by just applying cold to job postings online? 90% of the time I don't get a response, and the 10% when I do get an email is "sorry but we're pursuing other candidates" a few weeks later. One of my good friends who now has a fantastic job at Apple never had any luck applying online (he was picked up by a recruiter). I'm just curious to see if this has actually worked for anyone. It's starting to feel like a complete waste of time. I am spending a lot of my time on networking but I feel like that should be 100% of my efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

the posted:

I applied for a job opportunity that would involve technical training for 6 months and then a position at the company.

A friend of mine did the same thing. There were multiple positions.

He has absolutely no work experience and no research experience and a Physics degree.

I have 5 years of work experience, research experience, and the same degree.

He made it through. I just got a rejection letter.

I don't even loving know anymore. WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU WANT FROM ME EMPLOYERS? WHAT THE gently caress DO YOU WANT? SOMEONE GIVE ME A loving JOB. :smithicide:

If I had to guess it's because the lack of experience means he's cheaper.

I personally also just received a rejection mail.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Riso posted:

If I had to guess it's because the lack of experience means he's cheaper.

I personally also just received a rejection mail.

That's such bullshit. "Man, we can't hire this guy. He might be *too* useful to the company."

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

the posted:

That's such bullshit. "Man, we can't hire this guy. We can't afford to pay him what he's worth and he'll gently caress off somewhere else as soon as he gets a chance."

Fixed.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Well then I guess my problem is that I keep on applying to places that I'm either over or underqualified for? Is this some sort of twisted Goldilocks scenario I'm trapped in?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yes, it's called the job market. That's why you have to apply to a few dozen jobs before you get anywhere. It's frustrating, and it can be discouraging at time, but your job is out there somewhere.

Take the weekend off, then go back to applying to everything on Monday. Don't look for work while you're angry.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 27, 2018

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Busy Bee posted:

At one point do you just have to raise your hands and just give up? I've been looking for a job for the last year, having networking meetings / coffee with over 30 business professionals, applied to hundreds of positions, had several phone interviews, and a few face-to-face interviews where I was rejected.

I'm almost in the same boat.

I'm 30 right now. BA in Film at 23. Worked a salaried IT job for 3 years. Went back to school for a BS in Physics that I got in December. "Get a STEM degree," they said. "Finding a job will be easy," they said. That was before the economy was destroyed.

I've been applying to jobs *since* December and I've had only 3 go to the interview stage.

A lot of companies don't even bother sending rejection letters anymore.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Busy Bee posted:

At one point do you just have to raise your hands and just give up? I've been looking for a job for the last year, having networking meetings / coffee with over 30 business professionals, applied to hundreds of positions, had several phone interviews, and a few face-to-face interviews where I was rejected.

Giving up isn't really an option.

Have Dustin Duvet look over your resume, or just post it in this thread. You might not be selling yourself right.

Look if there's other fields, ancillary to the one you're applying in, where you might be a better fit. Sometime people need someone to do Y who's actually an expert in X; that's what I do these days and it's a pretty nice changes.

Above all, never lose hope. It's though out there, everyone's having a hard time.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 27, 2018

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
If you've applied for 'hundreds' of jobs you aren't filtering your search enough and I doubt you're investing enough into each position. You have to only apply for jobs that are a fit for you, and you have to tailor your resume and cover letters to make it sound like you want ONLY that job and that you are the perfect candidate for it.

This:

quote:

I want a stable salary position with a company I admire working for
is a pipe dream until you have some actual meaningful experience. Most people's first "real" job is poo poo. That's the way it works. If you're turning your nose up at applying to places because they don't ~inspire you~ then that's a problem with you, not them.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 27, 2018

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

I had him look over my resume and was more than happy to pay him with how well my revised resume turned out.

The job market is tough, I understand that. But I just don't know what to do anymore. A good portion of the networking/ coffee meetings I have are full of empty promises. I'm determined to find a position somewhere but I don't know how much more rejection I can take mentally and emotionally. I'm 26 years old and it's tough to meet with professionals who are baby boomers and all they can tell you is to work hard! Be determined! Don't give up hope! Well guess what, not only is our generation different but that's all I've been doing!

Not only that but there are friends who are much less qualified then me who found stable jobs and moving out of their parents house. I want to grow up and go on with my career, I want a stable salary position with a company I admire working for. No more short term contract gigs, but I don't know how much more optimism I can have.
This is going to sound harsh, but you need to check your attitude. Networking isn't about people giving you stuff. It's about having a mutually beneficial professional relationship. It doesn't sound like you have much to offer. Frankly, you sound entitled. Why do you deserve a stable job with a company you admire? Why do you think your friends got hired and not you? It's probably not luck.

Also, baby boomers aren't so different from you that they have no constructive advice to give you. I'm a little older than you, but I'm certainly not a baby boomer, and I'd give you the same advice. You should do everything you can and try not to worry about the things you can't control, which is the same thing as Work Hard and Don't Give Up!

I do understand where you're coming from. When I was fresh out of college, I had as much rejection as I could handle. In the end, I did a fairly harsh self-assessment and decided I was being unrealistic with the jobs I was applying to. I leveraged my strengths and joined the military as an officer to gain experience. It ended up working out very well for me, and I'm very happy with my career now (Program Management for Aerospace/Defense).

What's your skill set and target job? Also, what's your general strategy?

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Dec 17, 2017

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
It's pretty difficult at this time in the economy to blame the job-seeker. Like I mentioned, I don't even get responses on most of my applications at this point. It's an employer's market. There's a flood of people looking for work and no one to give them jobs. It shouldn't take people half a year to a year to find a job when they have a technical college degree.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Susical posted:

Has ANYONE ever had success by just applying cold to job postings online? 90% of the time I don't get a response, and the 10% when I do get an email is "sorry but we're pursuing other candidates" a few weeks later. One of my good friends who now has a fantastic job at Apple never had any luck applying online (he was picked up by a recruiter). I'm just curious to see if this has actually worked for anyone. It's starting to feel like a complete waste of time. I am spending a lot of my time on networking but I feel like that should be 100% of my efforts.

Purely anecdotal, but my last two positions came from online job postings. I applied for both via the company website, and had no connections at the company prior. Phone interview, interview, job offer. No networking involved for either.

Both positions were working for software companies, but not as a developer. The first one, about 2.5 years ago, was the second job I applied to at the time. My current position was one of three I applied to, and despite being very particular about work environment, etc I'm very happy where I am.

If you want additional context, fire away.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Busy Bee posted:

I'm looking for people who are experiencing what I'm going through and seeing what they have to say. I believe that I am doing everything I can in my power as correctly as I can.
I went through what you are going through, and believe it or not, I'm trying to help. However, from the paragraphs you wrote, it seems that you are so convinced you that are right that you can't take any advice. Are you looking for people on the internet to validate that you're doing absolutely everything right and that all your peers with jobs have them because they're lucky? Or do you want feedback on how to find a job?

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

the posted:

It's pretty difficult at this time in the economy to blame the job-seeker. Like I mentioned, I don't even get responses on most of my applications at this point. It's an employer's market. There's a flood of people looking for work and no one to give them jobs. It shouldn't take people half a year to a year to find a job when they have a technical college degree.
Ugh, that takes me back to a dark place. I liked getting rejection letters because it meant that someone actually acknowledged that I applied for the job. I graduated with an engineering degree and ended up working blue collar for a temp agency for a year before I was fed up enough to join the military.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

the posted:

But there are jobs out there, and there are people getting them...

A technical college degree doesn't entitle you to a job, it just makes you more attractive - depending on what it's in. My ex had a technical college degree in something like "Social worker's assistant", and eight years out of school she's never had a job that required that or had anything to do with that as far as I know. I think she's gone back to school by now. (On the other side of the anecdote, I had four unsolicited job offers in the three months after I graduated from technical college, but I was in a high-demand market).

What market are you looking in? have you extended your search to other geographical areas?

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Physics degree

4-5 years of IT experience (3 at salaried job, 2 at part-time)

2 years of research work in astrophysics, python programming experience and data analysis

-----------

Looking for things in research, statistics, numerical analysis, big data, stats, etc.

The only self-limiting caveat I have is that I'm staying in my area, so I'm restricting my job search to a 50 mile radius. That's because I'm marrying someone who has a job here, and we're very happy with the area. Both her and my parents live in the same city, and we own a house here.

And it's not like I live in a bad area to find jobs, either.

quote:

Leading the way is Raleigh, N.C., which grabbed the top spot for a third straight year on the strength of strong job growth (both past and projected), low business costs and a highly educated workforce.

Employment is expected to fall during 2009 in Raleigh after jobs were added at a 4% annual clip the past five years. But the job picture is expected to brighten in 2010 and 2011, and the three-year projected annual employment gain is 1.4%. according to Moody’s Economy.com, 15th best in the country.

Helping fuel Raleigh’s strong economy is the Research Triangle Park, one of the oldest and largest science parks in North America. It is located between Raleigh and Durham and is home to 170 companies employing 42,000 people. Big employers include Biogen Idec , Cisco Systems and IBM .

“Raleigh is holding up better than any other place in North Carolina,” says Matthew Martin, an economist at the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, Va. He cites the significant higher education presence and low manufacturing base in the area for Raleigh’s steady economy.

the fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 26, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

So the job market in Raleigh is on the upswing, but how's the job market in astrophysics and physics in Raleigh?

We all have to be realistic. I'm a merchant mariner by trade; while there are jobs by the shitton in Alberta, I probably won't find anything in my domain there, you know?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Two years ago when I was a college senior I applied to 80something jobs, got 2 interviews, and one offer. I stopped applying to jobs that only had those horrible online portal applications (upload your resume! Now retype your whole resume!) and started only applying to those with an actual email address attached to the job posting since an actual human had to review it and my response rate increased dramatically.

This time around I'm being more picky about what I apply to and my response rate is better (I also have relevant real job not internship experience on my resume now which probably helps too). Still haven't gotten an offer though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The only online applications I've had that got me any sort of interviews have been through LinkedIn, which also is how a recruiter ended up finding me, so that can be a pretty handy tool.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
At least you have a "useful" degree. I'm going through the same thing and I got a liberal arts degree. I've had two phone interview in the last six months. The only in person interview I've had in the last year was with a nonprofit I wanted to volunteer at.

I got a rejection letter yesterday, a day after I applied to a job, and the job requirements they listed basically described me specifically. That one stung.

poo poo sucks man, we just gotta keep at it until something turns up. Thank goodness I have a job ATM or I would have probably drowned myself in a shallow puddle by now.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

FrozenVent posted:

So the job market in Raleigh is on the upswing, but how's the job market in astrophysics and physics in Raleigh?

We all have to be realistic. I'm a merchant mariner by trade; while there are jobs by the shitton in Alberta, I probably won't find anything in my domain there, you know?

But I'm not looking for nor am I marketing myself for jobs in Physics. Like I said, my resume emphasizes my experience in data analysis, critical thinking, numerical analysis and python programming, among the tech knowledge that I have. I'm applying to jobs in statistics, finance, etc.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

the posted:

But I'm not looking for nor am I marketing myself for jobs in Physics. Like I said, my resume emphasizes my experience in data analysis, critical thinking, numerical analysis and python programming, among the tech knowledge that I have. I'm applying to jobs in statistics, finance, etc.

I think the problem here is that you're competing with people who graduated from top stats departments from NCSU, UNC, and Duke.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib

the posted:

Why did you major in physics? Your previous posts seem to imply you were under the impression that any STEM degree was a magical golden ticket to Jobland, which as you're finding out isn't true. You may have stumbled into some tech skills with your degree, but there are many others for whom the development of those skills was an explicit focus of their program. I think you'll need to find a unique way of leveraging your physics training to get a leg up on the stats/CS majors out there, but I don't know what that would be.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

the posted:

These are all stupid questions and my experience may not be valid outside of public accounting and of course this is all anecdotal. I have 3 years working experience, so I am not some kind of hot poo poo exec.

Are you on LinkedIn? Everytime I login to LinkedIn to accept a networking request, I get a phone call or email from a headhunter type recruiter or an internal recruiter. This is because every single recruiter that gives me a network request over the last three years I accepted it.

Have you tried going with a recruiter? About a month ago I picked up a phone call from a recruiter and she showed me 10 or so positions that fit my experience, wanting to get out of downtown Philly, and wanting a 20%+ bump in pay. I had her send my resume to 3 positions. I got first round interviews with all three, called back for round twos with all three and am anticipating an offer from at least two of them next week. All of this in "this economy"

People like to poo poo on recruiters, but she held my hand through a lot of the job search stuff that people hate. I didn't need to be reminded, but after the interviews she checked in to make sure I sent thank you emails, etc. And all of this process took maybe 10 hours of my time, including the six interviews I went on and very little effort. She even gave me talking points specific to each interviewer to use.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Bloody Queef posted:

These are all stupid questions and my experience may not be valid outside of public accounting and of course this is all anecdotal. I have 3 years working experience, so I am not some kind of hot poo poo exec.

Are you on LinkedIn? Everytime I login to LinkedIn to accept a networking request, I get a phone call or email from a headhunter type recruiter or an internal recruiter. This is because every single recruiter that gives me a network request over the last three years I accepted it.

Have you tried going with a recruiter? About a month ago I picked up a phone call from a recruiter and she showed me 10 or so positions that fit my experience, wanting to get out of downtown Philly, and wanting a 20%+ bump in pay. I had her send my resume to 3 positions. I got first round interviews with all three, called back for round twos with all three and am anticipating an offer from at least two of them next week. All of this in "this economy"

People like to poo poo on recruiters, but she held my hand through a lot of the job search stuff that people hate. I didn't need to be reminded, but after the interviews she checked in to make sure I sent thank you emails, etc. And all of this process took maybe 10 hours of my time, including the six interviews I went on and very little effort. She even gave me talking points specific to each interviewer to use.
This is difference between being a fresh grad and having 3 years of experience. It's almost magical how 3-4 years of experience opens doors. There's no harm in trying, becruiters may not be as keen to help someone with no relevant experience.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

swenblack posted:

This is difference between being a fresh grad and having 3 years of experience. It's almost magical how 3-4 years of experience opens doors. There's no harm in trying, becruiters may not be as keen to help someone with no relevant experience.

the said he had 5 years IT experience. Not sure why he isn't trying to go back into IT as his physics degree has zero to do with finance which he mentioned looking at.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

the posted:

That's such bullshit. "Man, we can't hire this guy. He might be *too* useful to the company."

The sad thing I'm discovering now that I'm on the hiring side after a couple of years of trying to break into my industry as an "overqualified" candidate is that many hiring managers don't keep themselves educated on the state of the job market. It might have been decades since they've had to apply to anything external, and they're often superimposing their own career path on candidates.

So it's not just "This person has five years of experience or an advanced degree - I bet she'll take off as soon as a better offer comes along." It's: "By the time I had five years of experience, I was in a senior position, and only my bosses had degrees. What's wrong with this person that they're still applying for entry-level positions?"

In the current competition we're running, I caught one of the managers automatically weeding out any applicants with a Master's degree or JD because she thought they must have been confused. She was sure they could just walk straight into an executive position and didn't see why any of them would be trying to start out in our office. When I told her that there are more people with law degrees out there than there are opportunities for young lawyers, she was legitimately shocked. "But law school is so hard to get into!"

(That said, this is no reason to give up. It literally took 90+ applications in this field before I got my foot in the door despite my Master's degree. Once there, I did all my entry-level duties and also volunteered for some projects that required some specialized skills. Those projects proved to be great networking opportunities, and a year and a half later, when another department was looking for someone with my degree, they pretty much threw the job in my lap.)

Giant Goats fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 27, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

the posted:

It's pretty difficult at this time in the economy to blame the job-seeker.
I agree with you to very slight extent. Yes, today's economy makes the job hunt quite competitive, but today's market is significantly better than the year I graduated. It was absolutely brutual to be a new grad with only Internship experience competing with a massive group of recently laid-off but experienced jobhunters. Looking back I can tell you with a huge amount of confidence that today's market is much better. You can only blame the economy for so long, pal.

Misogynist posted:

Rejection letters are sadly uncommon these days, especially in the age of electronic applications.
Definitely true. Back when I was sending out resumes I've even had interviewers tell me that they'll contact me even if I wasn't given the position. None of them ever did (I guess they didn't have enough backbone to back up their promises). The lesson here: Never stop applying, regardless of how well you think an interview went. And don't rely on any bullshit promises that aren't given without a written offer of employment.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 4, 2024

Zzu
Jun 17, 2008
I have a Google hangout interview tomorrow for a position in Portland. I currently live in Seattle. Anyone have any type of experience with these as a 1st interview? I'm assuming this is just the 1st interview and they will want to interview me in person. The person I am interviewing with is the general manager of the company so that is kind of cool.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Maybe I wasn't clear with my wording? I never once said that networking is about people giving me stuff. I go to these coffee and networking meets with a positive attitude, smile on my face, and with NO expectations. Why would I expect for these people that I am about to meet to give ME anything? I don't deserve anything as much as the next person does. All I do is show up, we talk about each other's passions, what we do, etc etc the usual stuff. With some of the people I meet, we have great conversation, and sometimes they offer to help. Whether it's setting up a meeting with their friend who is in the field I am looking to be in, or looking over my resume and passing it on to someone at HR.

What kind of events are these? I find that events that are explicitly "networking" events are usually garbage, but that meetups related to the industry you intend to work in are way more useful. I've had significantly more luck going out to a meetup about the programming languages I work with or something like Open Data and just sperging about the things that I do professionally/in my spare time than actually trying to "network", and that doing some volunteer work in your area of expertise/industry goes a very long way. I've received straight up job offers after helping to organize an event and contributing substantively to things for charities.

It kind of sounds like the networking you're doing is just something where everyone goes and talks at each other and hopes to get something out of it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 28, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I've found that the only networking events worth attending are the ones you only get invited to if you're employed in the industry, or at least conferences and workshops, that sort of thing. Nobody goes out to attend employment speed dating; it's not like employers have to seek far and wide to find job applicants.

And even at those events, 95% of job offers are basically "Look how powerful I am, I can totally offer you a job! (I don't know what you actually do and I don't have hiring power / don't need anyone.)"

I've seen people get hired off relationship they built at conference, though, but mostly because the conference ended up being a venue to showcase their skills and knowledge.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Raptor1033 posted:

I'm about to start throwing around a cover letter and CV to a bunch of laboratory heads to try and get an internship. Is this an appropriate cover letter? Each will be slightly customized to specific labs and their research.

Dear ,
An education based laboratory is an exciting place where important data and biological advances are achieved. Such an environment requires intelligent, hard-working, creative, and adaptable individuals to drive these advances. Permanent staff and temporary interns such as myself alike fill vital roles in the laboratory while also passing on and receiving knowledge. I can bring all of the afore mentioned qualities as well as a vital source of energy to your lab.

I have much experience waiting to be put to use. I have cultivated multiple generations of various microorganisms and cell cultures. I have spent time working with a class II biological safety cabinet and am comfortable with its use. I have fixed, stained, and identified many types of microorganisms as well as some of their surface structures. I also have experience analyzing genetic material, counting colonies using a hemecytometer, and am excellent about keeping a sterile and clean work environment.

I have attached my curriculum vitae and would love to speak with you about how I can be a part of your exciting research. I would love to make a contribution and learn much in the process. Thank for your time and consideration.
Sincerely,

edit: just dropped my current version of my resume onto google drive if I could kindly receive some input there as well. I'm missing the most recent employer but that's about it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzKJbdLx57rob0hEV3JTNDJwaEU/edit?usp=sharing

I'm sorry, but this cover letter is really bad. Reading it, I have no idea if you went to school, if you have had jobs in the field, or what. You say have lab experience, but you don't say where or what projects you worked on. Also, don't start off the cover letter by telling the employer what they should be looking for. They know what they are looking for.

Here is a very basic critique of the resume. Again, this needs a great deal of work. Hope this helps!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
At the very least, remove the words "curriculum vitae" entirely.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Big City Drinkin posted:

Why did you major in physics? Your previous posts seem to imply you were under the impression that any STEM degree was a magical golden ticket to Jobland, which as you're finding out isn't true. You may have stumbled into some tech skills with your degree, but there are many others for whom the development of those skills was an explicit focus of their program. I think you'll need to find a unique way of leveraging your physics training to get a leg up on the stats/CS majors out there, but I don't know what that would be.

I had plans for an actual Physics job or grad school, but I don't think that's in the cards at the moment since there aren't Physics jobs around here and I don't have the grades for a good grad school.

Bloody Queef posted:

the said he had 5 years IT experience. Not sure why he isn't trying to go back into IT as his physics degree has zero to do with finance which he mentioned looking at.

I really, really don't like working in IT. The problem is that I originally took a job in it in 2006, so I have experience in it. Which means when I took part-time jobs in college it was the best fit for me. Thus I get into a vicious cycle of getting more and more experience in a field that I hate.

The reason I mentioned finance is because it involves working quantitatively with numbers. I also went to an event once held by my Physics department that featured a speaker who worked in the financial industry who had a Physics degree. He said the critical thinking and analytical skills worked well in that industry. That's what I have to convince employers.

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

I know this thread is about resumes and job interviews, but I need help on knowing when to apply. I'm about to start a three month internship and I was wondering when it would be appropriate to start applying to other jobs.

Edit: The internship will significantly increase my marketability because I will be learning a system that is used in a variety of settings in my field.

Phadedsky fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Phadedsky posted:

I know this thread is about resumes and job interviews, but I need help on knowing when to apply. I'm about to start a three month internship and I was wondering when it would be appropriate to start applying to other jobs.

Edit: The internship will significantly increase my marketability because I will be learning a system that is used in a variety of settings in my field.
Personally, I'd say the sooner the better. There's really no reason to wait or put it off, especially if you're applying to work at a large company, whose hiring processes can take a really long time.

It's also easier to land a job if you're currently 'employed' in some capacity. It's one of those Catch 22's of job hunting.